Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,641 members, 7,889,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:10 PM

I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change (50625 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant / Do Not Accept A Banking Job - I Refused To Listen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by IbrahimSkiba(f): 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.

Link me to your job na, let me take your position instead grin

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by gerizzim: 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
Your worries:
1. You are 30yrs
2. Unmarried
3. Unhappy on your job
4. You want to have a career change

If diz are ur concerns, wat abt a female friend that I know that is 47years old, unmarried , doesn't have a job dt also implies there is no career change for my jobless female friend.

The truth is dis,ur not a grateful person.
you are far beta off Dan millions of Nigerians within ur age bracket.
Go and swap position with the 29yrs old guy living wit his 60yrs old father doin teaching job dt earns possibly less Dan 40k let him tell you the meaning of wt it means not to be happy.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by mustbewell: 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
Come and take fried pap.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by code9(m): 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect, I just received a new that a close associate of mine whom is about the same age as yours and unmarried have just passed away. Choose your happiness wisely. Start finding purpose in yourself from within. Every other thing is vanity

6 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Lexusgs430: 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

Marriage is not a licence, to happiness............

You call yourself old at 30 ?? What would you say, when you turn 60.............. cheesy

If you saved those fund's, from your current employer's wage .......... We don't all like our bosses, but we stick it .......... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by jurjes(f): 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Try changing the way you view life, focus on the positives that are working out for you.

Have a gratitude journal.

2million as savings with 120k salary is not bad in my opinion.

If you are frustrated at work, take a leap and start ur own business and No 30 is not old, You can reinvent yourself and have a career change.
I wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by toujurs: 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Wait a minute you say 2million is small? Oga u no get vission. That is why, there are guys that will turn 600k into 1million under six months. And you say 2m is small
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by SmartyPants(m): 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

You're actually in a pretty good position to make a move. But! Look before you leap.

1. You can quit your job for a less time-consuming one even if it means less income.

2. That allows you to start your side business small

3. Find a mentor in your new field!!
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by doctore212(m): 2:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
I will suggest Oloshosism.
Many of us underate this job.

Just start from Ketu axis by next year u can get to the island
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by BusinessDream: 2:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Yes, take the leap bro. 30? A 55 year old woman recently learned to coding.. even people in their 60s are going back to school. What matter most if your focus and dedication because there 20somethings that can't achieve anything.

Start learning with youtube... and give yourself 2-3 years and you will be good at coding.

Most Telecom orgs now offer FREE youtube data. MTN starts at 11pm to 5am. Just dedicate 1 hour every night to practice while learning.

I used it to learn graphics design at night before I sleep and this is what I designed. After one month, I designed the attached

The best and fastest way to learn is by taking up a project and trying your hands on it. I learned this hack here on nairaland and it helped me master graphics design faster.

I will move to UX ( I learned graphics design to help me master UX design faster) after that and then I will learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript...

It can be done bro... believe me.

9 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Immarocks(f): 2:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
The person that said "this life is not balanced "had wisdom from above

4 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by ogwumgbe: 2:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

I

If you re a single mother either from Anambra or Enugu State, I am interested, let's hook up
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by ejimatic: 2:06pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

. Career can be changed at any time even if you are sixty depending on what you want to do....Prepare well , count the cost! God will guide you!
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by sammirano: 2:06pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
My man you are you own problem, no matter how much you save, its still won't be enough for your life and future, sometimes life is not really about how much you save, its about how much you are ready to face life....... i was once a business owner, i thought my business could sustain me to any length, because my income at the end of the month sometimes is more 50k....... but during the covid19 pandemic, everything crash up,............... i picked up myself, and applied for a job where i am currently earning less than 50k monthly and am married with a kid................. I pay house rent and feed my family with this few money....

How am i surviving? i don't f$cking know.....

Na una dey live life like gamble. Its too risky. You need a financial planner

2 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by tweakdude1: 2:07pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Pursue your career while you endure. If you deserve greatness you fight for it.

Most importantly, work on your network it goes a long way.

Stop been a pussy my friend.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Daceline: 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

You even have a job.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Premiumwriter: 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

if I'm to advise you, I'll say don't quit your job just yet.

Since you work 12 hours a day, I'd say sacrifice 2-3 hours daily to learn a new skill.

Or take up a course on a business you are interested in.

For instance, you might considering things like mini importation or building a software as a service (saas).

Whatever idea you may have I'd advise you to take a professional course on it first.

Tech is not all roses. There are hundreds of thorns in it.

Take it from someone that has failed a lot but still learning in tech, you'll meet lots of hard times.

So stick to your job and keep saving but at the same time, learn more about the kind of business you'll like to invest in.

Then when you are satisfied, you can start small and expand as it flourish.

2 million actually is not small in tech business except you want to start big.

Mention me if you need tech business ideas

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by salamsy(m): 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dear Poster,

It is never too late to change career path. You are still young and i would advise you to pick up a carer in IT space as there a lot of opportunities in the same. I work in I.T space as a software developer in a financial sector an can advise you well on how to go about this . You don't even have to spend half a million to be well fitted in this. I can help with material free depending on what your interest is . You can email me at olasalameen@gmail.com to take this discussion forward.

Regards,

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by grandstar(m): 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Why not learn coding or social media marketing or digital marketing. You can work from home with any of those 3.

If you have 2m saved up, I'm impressed. It indicates you're prudent with money.

Don't rush things. You're still young. Make sure your income and finances are very strong before you get married.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by AgentGoat: 2:09pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

You are 30 years and you said you are old?

I don't have anything to say to you bro. If you think you are old. I'm happy for you sir.

5 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Sirheny007(m): 2:09pm On Mar 14, 2022
undecided undecided
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by OvertheTop(m): 2:10pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

if You are a Guy, I'll Say:

1. Don't be too Hasty to Marry o (its still ok around 35)
2. To Marry i'll say a Monthly Income of 150-200k is about ideal.
3. Make sure your prospective wife is willing to help with finances to avoid Financial burden too heavy for 1 person.
4. You are Not too Old. Just find out more About your Area of interest (You tube/ goggle it)...you'll get tons of information
5. Skill up and be committed to Learning the new Skill Everyday to Quicken your Learning Curve.
6. keep up with the current job and save more with focus till you have mastered your New Skill...Switch.
7. Don't forget to improve your Women-Relationship skill to get a good shot at 1,2,3, above. (but don't Squander your Saving o)
8. Manage that your Biz part time.

cheers

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by fidorocks(m): 2:10pm On Mar 14, 2022
Send me a PM let me discuss with you. I successfully did a career change last year and I am in my 30s
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Sanchez01: 2:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Two million might be enough to sustain you for a year and half if you want to pursue a career in tech, only possibly if you are a minimalist and not banking on paying rent from that money. Say feeding, data and a few other things, but definitely not rent.

Now my dilemma is:

I switched from telecommunication to tech at 30+ and I do not regret it one bit. You are not old at 30. Some say life begins when you have an awakening, be at 40, 50 or 70. The question is whether or not you are ready to chase your dream.

Answer these questions, not necessarily publicly:

1. What part of tech are you eyeing?
2. Do you have a good laptop (as I know every part of tech requires one)?
3. How cheap or expensive is your rent? If you take out your rent from N2m, what is left?
4. Take out a data budget for a year and see how much is left.
5. Calculate your feeding on a monthly basis, multiply by 18 months and see what is left.
6. You need to set aside some money for emergencies. How much are you willing to spare?
7. How much do you spend on utilities monthly (electricity, waste, gas and water)?
8. If the answer to your number 2 is no, find out if whatever is left can afford a decent laptop that won't freeze or crash while you learn your new tech skill.
9. Finally, can your side hustle run conveniently even when you learn your tech skill?

This isn't exactly bad. If you don't womanize, club and party hard, just learn idea of stocking up monthly. Go minimal. Don't eat out. Always cook.

You could. Or not...

Note that picking up a tech skill doesn't mean you will get a job next month. Depending on the skill and how fast you learn, you might not be able to successfully get a job until you learn the ropes, not fully but decently. I'd say 18 months, if you are a fast learner. Say the basic role in the industry.

PS: DON'T PAY FOR TECH SKILL! If someone has told you to pay to learn, depending on the area, there are tons of resource materials, YouTube channels and resource websites that you can leverage on to up your tech skills.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by od501: 2:12pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

I'm not understanding this Op oo... at some point I even thought it was woman. A 30 year old man with 2 million talking shii like this, oga be calming down joor
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Dukeolumidemans(m): 2:12pm On Mar 14, 2022
Loewe:

Just to correct the above- there are people in their 40s who changed careers successfully. You haven't passed your career prime, don't be fooled. 30 is still very much young.

Supported. Ur 100% correct.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Wuminity(f): 2:12pm On Mar 14, 2022
You are on the right track my brother, keep going.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by seanwilliam(m): 2:13pm On Mar 14, 2022
Exkandayee:
Bro you senior me with 2 years and I worth close to 500k dolls,,,I dropped out of school at 23, through wuru wuru I found myself hereinAmericase,but life is not easyoooh,see ehh bro, lemme tell you something,use that your 2 mili,300k go get you sk Visa, just japa,,and hustle hard,I bet it before you clock 35 you go deh alright, find one mixed race marry or kpatakpata marry Asian you go see how happy you go be,no marry naija girl or you go be unhappy
how come you worth 500k$ when you had just 2m last year nov and you even got deported.. ? Pls interested

4 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Sucre6: 2:13pm On Mar 14, 2022
Anon4:
who are u to tell him he has no right to be sad?

Oga swerve go one side, Nah una type dey encourage depression for Africa

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ungrateful element.

Just keep quiet and continue with that job. Or try being jobless for a year and see the real meaning of depression.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Boss Serves Me A Query For Late Coming After We Both Spent The Night Out / Atlantic Hotel Sacks Worker For Reporting Attempted Rape By Indian Boss / Poor State Of Police Barracks Around Nigeria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.