Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,941 members, 7,873,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

Lagos Mainland Vs Island. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Mainland Vs Island. (39863 Views)

Highlander SUV On Fire On 3rd Mainland Bridge, Lagos (Photos) / SUV Goes Up In Flames On Third Mainland Bridge, Police Come To The Rescue. PICS / Car Somersaults On Third Mainland Bridge After Sallah Flexing On The Island.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:00am On Mar 16, 2022
Hamachi:
You cannot place value on the stress one goes through on the island

If the journey exceeds Lekki- Agungi, that's out of the way for me.
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by livinbygrace: 7:06am On Mar 16, 2022
PrimadonnaO:
There's something I'm sensing from the comments in this thread.

People feel unduly intimidated.

What's the point in stating that people who live on the island aren't wealthy...they're all packaging.

Every two seconds, the island is overhyped.

Did they ever tell you they were wealthy in the first place? undecided

Let people make their choices and live with them so long as it affects nobody negatively. undecided

People choose where to live for several reasons that no one else should help them debate.

The fact is that some people living on the island believes they have arrived once they relocate to island.You will hear something like “I don’t cross the bridge “,as if those people staying in mainland are underdogs,whereas most island landlords resides in mainland .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 16, 2022
Jephyard:
Yaba, Surelere, Ogba, Ikeja, Festac, Ago Palace, Egbeda, Abule Egba, Maryland, Anthony, Some part of Obanikoro and Palm Groove, Wilmer Street (Ajegunle), extreme cases like Iba (the army housing eatat is nice), Epe is bae if you like a quiet ambient kind of environment and finally ikorodu towards the local government side, ebute and itamaga side.

That post housing etc that is flooded?

God forbid

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:12am On Mar 16, 2022
Adek15:
average price for 2 bed in jakande is 2-2.5m unless it's a "kpako" house.

Help me tell him o. Perhaps we don't stay on the same Island. I wonder where he got his for 600k.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by livinbygrace: 7:12am On Mar 16, 2022
Cuppycakes:

I got a two bedroom, fenced, good water supply nice compound at 590, last month.

Stop typing nonsense,you can’t get two bedroom for 580k in seaside .Ordinary room and parlor for a standard house is nothing less than 600k the Least you can get for 2 bed is 900-1.2m,except you are living in those mud houses.Mind you ,I have property in that area.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by otokpamike(m): 7:43am On Mar 16, 2022
so you keep changing houses when you leave the work for another work because you want live close to your.
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 7:50am On Mar 16, 2022
Greenarrow01:

Boss
Pls will one get a 2bed flat for say 4
500k total package per year in Berger
A good place with atleast 15hours power supply daily

100% Possible
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Greenarrow01(m): 7:50am On Mar 16, 2022
Hamachi:
You will get even 3bedro with your own prepaid meter
I am actually thinking of going to epe
My work is remote and I need a cool, serene place with atleast 15 hours
I don't know if light is good there

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Greenarrow01(m): 7:54am On Mar 16, 2022
Hamachi:
Epe is the best place for serene environment
How about light daddy
Is the light there good ??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by GoodBoi1(m): 8:04am On Mar 16, 2022
How come not much is said about areas like Okota, Ejigbo, Ikotun on mainland? You can get affordable quality apartments and I think it is better than a place like Ajah even if you work on the Island.
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Ykc2(m): 8:11am On Mar 16, 2022
myke92:
Alternative locations on the mainland that are close to the island include the following.

- Gbagada
- oworo
- Yaba
- costain
- ketu

You can get a decent apartment in a Serene environment in any of these areas, especially the 1st and the last. wink
constain is fucking expensive now

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by ImaIma1(f): 8:40am On Mar 16, 2022
Hamachi:
Many people that I know who moved to island are regretting it especially those that moved to Lagos Island (Idumagbo, Idumota, Obalende) and Ajah

Lagos Island is not the Island we are talking about. I'm talking about lekki, ikate, Chevron, etc. My friends just moved from their one bedroom of 300k on the mainland to a 2 bedroom of 1.5m. And they said they were lucky to find it that cheap.

Rent is unnecessarily high. Yet, they don't have good water. If you don't have a car, moving around won't be easy. School fees is higher there. The price of fiod stuffs in the market there is another issue. Cost of living there is generally high.

That kind of lifestyle doesn't encourage saving, except you really have more than enough.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Jephyard(m): 8:52am On Mar 16, 2022
LagosInter:

That post housing etc that is flooded?

God forbid

Virtually there is no place in Lagos that is not flooded during raining season. What you should be looking out for is if the the social infrastructure is Atleast above average and value for money.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Jephyard(m): 9:01am On Mar 16, 2022
Greenarrow01:

Boss
Good morning
Pls do you stay in epe
Cos I am thinking of a serene place
But with good light

Do you think epe has good light?
And how much will a decent 2bed go for here ?

House is cheap in epe. What I observe through out my 1 week stay there, was more than 12 hours light is guaranteed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by OKEMKPI: 9:03am On Mar 16, 2022
Olosho is cheaper on the mainland

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Greenarrow01(m): 9:23am On Mar 16, 2022
Jephyard:

House is cheap in epe. What I observe through out my 1 week stay there, was more than 12 hours light is guaranteed.

Pls what part of EPE
AND IS 12 HOURS LIGHT SURE
ESPECIALLY IN THE NIGHT ?
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Craigbrown4076: 9:28am On Mar 16, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Traditionally she should have gotten apartment around that Orchid estate eleganza/axis. I just can't understand how people live with that holdup on a daily. I don't understand how Nigerians manage it..She needs to relocate closer to her work. Jakande/Igbo Efon/Ikate Elegushi/Agungi would have been better

Houses are very expensive in those areas you mentioned, it's not like the area is that fine seff
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 9:49am On Mar 16, 2022
Greenarrow01:

I am actually thinking of going to epe
My work is remote and I need a cool, serene place with atleast 15 hours
I don't know if light is good there

Don't go to Epe o. Don't let anyone deceive you. You will regret it. It's dulling.

Just instal solar 300k jeje and don't go anything beyond Blenco supermarket. I tell you o. Lagos Business School environs is cool since you work from home. You can easily connect Sangotedo, Abaraham Adesanya, Ajah etc

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:53am On Mar 16, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

A room self in Agungi is about 500k (serviced apartment) excluding the agency and agreement fees. She pays lesser at LBS. Not to even talk of Ikate where you'll be paying millions.

What's a room self? Single room, yeah?

Single room, kitchen, toilet and bathroom.
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 9:54am On Mar 16, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

What's a room self? Single room, yeah?

Single room, kitchen, toilet and bathroom.

Total package put together = 750-800k for room self. Rent alone 590k.
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:54am On Mar 16, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Total package, a room self Osapa London/Agungi is always 750-800k

The environment on the island is different from the mainland which is why i'm coming back.

You're coming back to the island?
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Klass99(f): 10:02am On Mar 16, 2022
cool

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 10:05am On Mar 16, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

You're coming back to the island?

Yes. 1000%. But I'm thinking Lekki or LBS

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 10:08am On Mar 16, 2022
Klass99:

Thank you for saying this, seven blessings to you for the bolded in particular.

There's a reason I often ignore threads like this, because when you share your own truth and reality, bad belle people and haters will still attack, drag you and claim you are lying.

I live between Chevron and VGC, in an area with 24/7 power and water supply. The water is so clean you can cook with it and even drink straight from the tap (I have on two occasions where I ran out of Cway and couldn't replace immediately because of work and traffic)

The estate has an efficient refuse disposal system, the grounds/lawns are well kept and clean. In fact the entire place is managed so excellently, that the Nigerian govt with its numerous agencies can learn a lot from, on how to effectively and efficiently manage a parastatal to make things happen and work. I am not even being funny or exaggerating about this!

When the estate management did a residents survey for feedback on their services/performance, I didn't hold back from rating them high and informing them of all the things they continuously do right which I genuinely appreciate. I was that impressed and continue to be.

The estate is one of the best kept secrets of off Lekki-Epe expressway, you can drive pass it several times and never know there's a cool residential area there. Some Uber drivers who have dropped me at home are often shocked and pleased with what they see. They first go.....WoW I didn't know there was an estate here and then they marvel at the serenity and scenic beauty of it, as we drive farther in.

One even said kai madam you are living well o, see peace and quiet. For where I dey live na early morning noise dey wake me up, you go dey hear Ojuelegba, Ojuelegba, ketu-mile2, ketu-mile 2, etc from bus conductors. He made me laugh sha.

Now that the national grid has collapsed, our power supply hasn't even been interrupted. 5 years here and I am still counting, when I think of moving out my mind goes......where will you go to and find 24 hours light, clean water and a very neat neighbourhood like this? Just sit your butt down abeg and don't stress us.

Hahahaha. Best kept secret ke. You'll be shocked how small Eti-Osa is. Reading through the first few lines, I know the estate. Even from the exterior, it looks pretty decent, organized and well coordinated.

Do not give too much info on locations o. You'll be shocked how well informed people can be.

The only thing i don't like about that area is " the silence ". It's too organized for " street-me" grin It's too sane for my " Nigerian-maddness"

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by GloriousGbola: 10:11am On Mar 16, 2022
Klass99:

Thank you for saying this, seven blessings to you for the bolded in particular.

There's a reason I often ignore threads like this, because when you share your own truth and reality, bad belle people and haters will still attack, drag you and claim you are lying.

I live between Chevron and VGC, in an area with 24/7 power and water supply. The water is so clean you can cook with it and even drink straight from the tap (I have on two occasions where I ran out of Cway and couldn't replace immediately because of work and traffic)

The estate has an efficient refuse disposal system, the grounds/lawns are well kept and clean. In fact the entire place is managed so excellently, that the Nigerian govt with its numerous agencies can learn a lot from, on how to effectively and efficiently manage a parastatal to make things happen and work. I am not even being funny or exaggerating about this!

When the estate management did a residents survey for feedback on their services/performance, I didn't hold back from rating them high and informing them of all the things they continuously do right which I genuinely appreciate. I was that impressed and continue to be.

The estate is one of the best kept secrets of off Lekki-Epe expressway, you can drive pass it several times and never know there's a cool residential area there. Some Uber drivers who have dropped me at home are often shocked and pleased with what they see. They first go.....WoW I didn't know there was an estate here and then they marvel at the serenity and scenic beauty of it, as we drive farther in.

One even said kai madam you are living well o, see peace and quiet. For where I dey live na early morning noise dey wake me up, you go dey hear Ojuelegba, Ojuelegba, ketu-mile2, ketu-mile 2, etc from bus conductors. He made me laugh sha.

Now that the national grid has collapsed, our power supply hasn't even been interrupted. 5 years here and I am still counting, when I think of moving out my mind goes......where will you go to and find 24 hours light, clean water and a very neat neighbourhood like this? Just sit your butt down abeg and don't stress us.

I am afraid to ask how much living in that estate costs. There is an ongoing housing estate in ikoyi where generators are forbidden and all fence must be waist high. A plot starts at 500m. People are building at 1 billion naira houses. The place too is also slightly hidden. In the middle of slums

But in all. Honestly y most of that area is not it. I spent the last week of 2021 on a hospital in asapa London or how do they call it. Narrow roads, overflowing gutters and too many spaces I did not feel comfortable walking around at night.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 10:13am On Mar 16, 2022
GloriousGbola:

I am afraid to ask how much living in that estate costs. There is an ongoing housing estate in ikoyi where generators are forbidden and all fence must be waist high. A plot starts at 500m. People are building at 1 billion naira houses. The place too is also slightly hidden.

Its the same shii with Ikoyi. Too silent for our mental health. We need some human activities and noise. Reason why many people love Lekki. It's a combination of serenity and healthy interactions with other humans unlike Ikoyi where one locks one self up like a bird in a cage

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:14am On Mar 16, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

@ UyaiIncomparabl AND PrimadonnaO

We all need to regain perspectives. When our parents generations where at our age. The first factor they considered was affordability so funds could be channeled to building finances and their lives. When we choose very expensive places and start with that, we starve ourselves off disposable income which could have been channeled to building our lives at the expense of comfort and luxury.

Let me gist you what i did when i left the island

My business is in the cloud which means i can pack up and relocate anytime. I structured my business this way so my life doesn't stop whenever i need to move. So guess what, i relocated to Mowe. Guess what i enjoyed?

20 hours light

Road access perfect

2 Bedroom, wardrobe and all i didnt spend more than 300k total package per annum for a house thats worth almost 750k per annum on the island. Within that one year, i built up, climbed the ladder faster than i did on the island in 5 years. With finances built, i re-routed to berger and grew 5 times more than I was at Mowe cause i had saved more disposable cash. 3 years now, mmy blueprint shows the success rate i would never had achieved on the island in ten years within just 3 years. Now im returning. SO if you see the projectile curve i took, it was channeled to self development. Island is making lives stunted. People remaining on the same financial level for years

It's just sad that people don't consider contexts when dishing out advice.

Not everyone has business in the cloud...

People have physical businesses, schools, etc in specific locations that only make common sense that they also live in that axis.

And in my opinion, no price is too much for convenience, and peace of mind.

I'll use myself for instance.
I work on the island, but it's a hybrid arrangement, so I don't get to go to the office everyday. So maybe right now, I can move to the mainland if I wish.
But what will I be doing on the mainland? I won't also stay with this company forever. The likely companies I'll be joining with the way I've planned my career, would also be on the island. So why move to the mainland?

The rent I pay for my current place can also get me a place in Lekki Phase One, but it may not suit my taste and needs. We all have different tastes. What one person calls the perfect decent apartment may not be my own definition of the perfect apartment.
Also, I'm reasonably close to work. And I'm also at the heart of where the rest of my life revolves...church, shopping malls, my main friends, leisure centres.

Finally, I prefer the ambience here... and that's important for me, too.

So really, y'all should let people be with this mainland-island thing.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 10:15am On Mar 16, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

It's just sad that people don't consider contexts when dishing out advice.

Not everyone has business in the cloud...

People have physical businesses, schools, etc in specific locations that only make common sense that they also live in that axis.

And in my opinion, no price is too much for convenience, and peace of mind.

I'll use myself for instance.
I work on the island, but it's a hybrid arrangement, so I don't get to go to the office everyday. So maybe right now, I can move to the mainland if I wish.
But what will I be doing on the mainland? I won't also stay with this company forever? The likely companies I'll be joining with the way I've planned my career, would also be on the island. So why move to the mainland?

The rent I pay for my current place can also get me a place in Lekki Phase One, but it may not suit my taste and needs. We all have different tastes. What one person calls the perfect decent apartment may not be my own definition of the perfect apartment.
Also, I'm reasonably close to work. And I'm also at the heart of where the rest of my life revolves...church, shopping malls, my main friends, leisure centres.

Finally, I prefer the ambience here... and that's important for me, too.

So really, y'all should let people be with this mainland-island thing.

Smiles. I didn't dish out advice. As a matter of fact, I don't counsel people in life. Life is different for everyone and I was purely gisting

I was only chatty
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:16am On Mar 16, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Smiles. I didn't dish out advice. As a matter of fact, I don't counsel people in life. Life is different for everyone and I was purely gisting

I was only chatty

Wasn't really about you.

Most people just feel the need to tell those living on the island that they're making a bad decision.
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:17am On Mar 16, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Yes. 1000%. But I'm thinking Lekki or LBS

LOOL. cheesy

Why?
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by Johnchrix(m): 10:17am On Mar 16, 2022
DoctorOlasDesk:

Its the same shii with Ikoyi. Too silent for our mental health. We need some human activities and noise. Reason why many people love Lekki. It's a combination of serenity and healthy interactions with other humans unlike Ikoyi where one locks one self up like a bird in a cage

If you are reading this, repeat after me I shall never be poor.. Amen
Re: Lagos Mainland Vs Island. by DoctorOlasDesk: 10:17am On Mar 16, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

Wasn't really about you.

People just feel the need to tell people living on the island that they're making a bad decision.

The island is the best place to live in for the younger generation to me o. How I take know, I was born in Surulere, so i'm old enough to tell the difference. The quality of friends, associations and all. Island is the place to be If anyone asks me anyday and time.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Brutally Pulled Out Of A Train By Inspectors In Germany. Photos / Sunday Esan, Dangote's Manager Had An Accident (Photos) / Pictures From My Trip To Singapore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.