Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,724 members, 7,879,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 01:17 PM

No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. (6340 Views)

$533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI / The Worst Performing Minister In GEJ's Cabinet / The Best Performing Minister In GEJ's Cabinet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ektbear: 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2011
Robotics is interdisciplinary, and from my understanding you can approach it from a background in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science (or a combination of these areas.)
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by cold(m): 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2011
For those parrying the shots directed at GEJ & directing the missiles to the states,are you saying that GEJ hasn't got the right to reject a candidate & insist on one that fits the bill?All these 'GEJ can't do nothing''his hands are tied' is pure hogwash.We just getting more of the same,nothing new
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by OmoTier1(m): 8:56pm On Jul 03, 2011
homerac7:

@ Omo tier,

U r d one confusing things. While mechatronics is d interface of mechanical and electrical/electronics, it also serves as basis of further digression called system automation (or simply automation). This aspect is meeting point for basic mechanical and electrical engineers where u can competently further your career wtout any need for tinkering.

Robotics is advanced mechanical control system, where u design between your real and imaginary s plane and revert back to real plane using Laplacian tools. U r talking abt complex system dynamics and balance solutions using advanced matrices. It's pure mechanical engineering and even when u study it under physics, It comes under mechanics. Currently, its d precursor of Nano-engineering.

My dear, hope I made dt clear enough.
The part in bold makes no sense. I know where your misunderstanding is coming from.
Mechanical Engineering is simply these;
1. Structures (Statics and Dynamics)
2. Dynamics
3. Heat transfer and Power Conversion
All others are derivatives which came about in a bid to bridge the gap between  applied mathematics and Engineering.

Robotics Engineering encompasses all of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering with bias that is why a Mechanical Engineer with good background in Structures or Dynamics can work in a Robotics Lab or project but a Robotics Engineer CAN NOT work in Aerospace, Bio-mechanical or Core Automotives.

I also think your definition of Mechatronics is very limited! Can I also remind you that Automation involves programming, meaning computer science is very much part of Mechatronics? Yes?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by SEFAGO(m): 9:02pm On Jul 03, 2011
ZnO:

So when are you considered an engineer in NIGERIA? When:

1. You have only a BSc
2. You have an MS
3. You have a PhD?

Nnaji has
Bsc in physics
MSc in industrial engineering and operations research
PhD in industrial engineering and operations research
http://www.chronicle.pitt.edu/media/pcc030224/bart_nnaji.html

Does any of these degrees (or at least 2 of them) make him an engineer or not, by Nigerian standard?

Nothing beats hydroponics engineering sha. That one na original engineering degree
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by OmoTier1(m): 9:06pm On Jul 03, 2011
SEFAGO:

Nothing beats hydroponics engineering sha. That one na original engineering degree
Have you ventured into Advanced AIE?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by SEFAGO(m): 9:18pm On Jul 03, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Have you ventured into Advanced AIE?

Ok, you guys should stop with the engineering jargon. We get the point, you all are well read individuals. Kini big deal?

So no I dont know what Advanced AIE is but I am sure you dont need that to run any ministry efficiently in Nigeria.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by OmoTier1(m): 9:19pm On Jul 03, 2011
Seun:

Project management is taught part of Engineering. Senior Engineers are good project managers.
Policy formulation, implementation and management if not lean or six sigma!

As someone who did Advanced Engineering Project management and Technology in my Masters course so years back, I am of the opinion that Engineers are Engineers and they should be allowed to be just that. Engineering project management in my opinion should be left to those whose career training is management.

ekt_bear:

Robotics is interdisciplinary, and from my understanding you can approach it from a background in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science (or a combination of these areas.)
Completely spot on!
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by SEFAGO(m): 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2011
We, therefore, ask: Who is to man these key engineering-based ministries? Over the years, we have advocated that square pegs be put in square holes in ministries of power, works, water resources, communication, industries, steel, petroleum, etc. Many of these ministries have not had an engineer as a minister since the inception of the Fourth Republic in 1999,” the NSE said in the statement signed by its president, Mr. Olumuyiwa Ajibola.

I agree with this,. How ministers are assigned to ministries is quite perplexing. Most of them do not have the prerequisite knowledge/qualifications or vast experience in an essential field to qualify them as ministers. Why is Barth Nnaji in power? Even Ministry of science and technology would have been a better position.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by kcjazz(m): 9:41pm On Jul 03, 2011
Okay, I get square pegs in square holes argument but we do things oppositely in our country. In health and education we have had doctors and professors and some of them have come out with the worst records. Being an Engineer does not translate to good and effective leadership. We need leaders that can work with the NSE, Engineers or not.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by naijaking1: 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2011
NSE is either jealous, ignorant, or afraid of Prof. Nnaji.
---and that's Nigeria for you. Is Okonjo-Iweala not recieving threat letters because she's expected to "shake" the system?
NSE might be upto the usual Nigerian tricks. angry
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 10:03pm On Jul 03, 2011
naijaking1:

NSE is either jealous, ignorant, or afraid of Prof. Nnaji.
---and that's Nigeria for you. Is Okonjo-Iweala not recieving threat letters because she's expected to "shake" the system?
NSE might be upto the usual Nigerian tricks. angry

Just read the first article to see the name of the so-called president of NSE. That answers the whole question, really.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Gbawe: 10:27pm On Jul 03, 2011
ZnO:

This has been the policy of all Nigerian govts-taking nominees from states- since Shagari
I agree that not all nominees are worth their salt, but I do not see how a president Buhari or Ribadu would have done otherwise.

Do you not see my point now? You say we are dealing with practices of the past. Me and you know that Jonathan was sold to Nigerians with the notion that he will be a departure from the past . It is too early for you , or anyone else, to pretend to have forgotten all the "fresh air" spin. you guys should therefore not be coming out with this line that his hands are tied when , before the election, you sold him as the man to depart from the deleterious ways of the past !!!!

Jonathan's pre-election USP (unique selling point) was that he is a break from the past. We were told he is best placed to be the most effective reformer because "he is not tainted by the past". Now , GEJ , rather than introducing reform and "fresh" ideas, is doing things exactly as was done in the past !!! Jonathan has , at no time , shown any conviction to do things differently .

When we need privatization of our refineries , ASAP , and when that is the only course of action open to a President on the side of the common man, why direct NNPC (the original home of corruption) to turn around our refinery over 24 months for god sake ? 24 months? 2 years ? Why endure with this type of behaviour that is a throwback to actions of the past that has ensured nothing works in Nigeria today?

Who does not know we need a Prudent President? Yet our President first utterance is to say that "leaner Government not possible" while he prepares to hire a retinue of advisors , special advisors and special advisors to special advisors . Come on !!! Is it not time we are honest with ourselves as Nigerians who want a country we can be proud of instead of one that is the butt of jokes?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 10:33pm On Jul 03, 2011
Gbawe:

Do you not see my point now? You say we are dealing with practices of the past. Me and you know that Jonathan was sold to Nigerians with the notion that he will be a departure from the past . It is too early for you , or anyone else, to pretend to have forgotten all the "fresh air" spin. you guys should therefore not be coming out with this line that his hands are tied when , before the election, you sold him as the man to depart from the deleterious ways of the past !!!!

Jonathan's pre-election USP (unique selling point) was that he is a break from the past. We were told he is best placed to be the most effective reformer because "he is not tainted by the past". Now , GEJ , rather than introducing reform and "fresh" ideas, is doing things exactly as was done in the past !!! Jonathan has , at no time , shown any conviction to do things differently .

When we need privatization of our refineries , ASAP , and when that is the only course of action open to a President on the side of the common man, why direct NNPC (the original home of corruption) to turn around our refinery over 24 months for god sake ? 24 months? 2 years ? Why endure with this type of behaviour that is a throwback to actions of the past that has ensured nothing works in Nigeria today?

Who does not know we need a Prudent President? Yet our President first utterance is to say that "leaner Government not possible" while he prepares to hire a retinue of advisors , special advisors and special advisors to special advisors . Come on !!! Is it not time we are honest with ourselves as Nigerians who want a country we can be proud of instead of one that is the butt of jokes? 

How fresh (different) would your man Buhari or even Ribadu have been? Why did Tinubu abandon Ribadu? If he had not, GEJ would not have had an easy ride as he did.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Gbawe: 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2011
ZnO:

How fresh (different) would your man Buhari or even Ribadu have been?

We don't know but the point is that GEJ is doing things in precisely the same manner that has gotten us where we are today. This is very disappointing to many who staked their reputation on him. Look around Nairaland today to note that many of GEJ's most enduring apologists cannot even show their face here anymore !!

There is only so much you can defend a man who talked "privatization" non-stop , before the elections, to get folks like Papabrowne salivating, only for him to then direct , after he wins the election, that moribund NNPC 'turn around' our refineries in 24 months. With that gut-wrenching decision, that shows Jonathan directly pandered to corruption this early in the game, Mr. President lost a lot of his intelligent fans. these folks now see that they were the victim of deception and deceit from the "owners of Nigeria" who used spin to get their man into a position he will use to protect their interest .

I don't expect GEJ to transform Nigeria overnight but certain things he has full discretion over should be used to reflect and reinforce the notion he will be different . That has not happened. in fact , the opposite has been the case with GEJ consistently erring on the side of "business as usual" .
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 11:12pm On Jul 03, 2011
Gbawe:

We don't know but the point is that GEJ is doing things in precisely the same manner that has gotten us where we are today. This is very disappointing to many who staked their reputation on him. Look around Nairaland today to note that many of GEJ's most enduring apologists cannot even show their face here anymore !!

There is only so much you can defend a man who talked "privatization" non-stop , before the elections, to get folks like Papabrowne salivating,  only for him to then direct , after he wins the election, that moribund NNPC 'turn around' our refineries in 24 months. With that gut-wrenching decision, that shows Jonathan directly pandered to corruption this early in the game, Mr. President lost a lot of his intelligent fans. these folks now see that they were the victim of deception and deceit from the "owners of Nigeria" who used spin to get their man into a position he will use to protect their interest .

I don't expect GEJ to transform Nigeria overnight but certain things he has full discretion over should be used to reflect and reinforce the notion he will be different . That has not happened. in fact , the opposite has been the case with GEJ consistently erring on the side of "business as usual" .

I do not know what those who voted for GEJ had in mind when they voted for him. It could well be that they believe, not that he is the best for Nigeria, but that he is simply the best among those presented by the popular parties. I put it to anyone that both Buhari and Ribadu cannot transform Nigeria better than GEJ will do

Yeah! People will trump Buhari's anti corruption stance, but that was way back, and done in a military fashion with no respect for rule of law, and very ethnically carried out. He cannot do most of those ADHOC WAI things in a democracy.

And, the notion that privatization (on its own) means economic prosperity is arguable. We have privatized NITEL like how many times now since Obj's era? How viable is NITEL today?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by homerac7: 11:12pm On Jul 03, 2011
@ omo tier,

Ur point is funny. Is d whole of engineering itself not applications of sciences (which includes mathematics) ? U can't for purpose of convenience select some aspect of it only as "bridging gap between applied mathematics and engineering".

The conventional engineering professions remain mechanic, electrical and civil engineering. OTHERS are offshoots of these. It's in dt light dt I described robotics engineering as basically a mechanical engineer just as a highway or sanitation engineer is basically a civil engineer.

U should also understand dt as these offshoots break off they take on appendages from other relevant fields, but one thing remains, u can always identify its root from its core. Just as a structural engineer is basically a mechanic or civil engineering and agricultural engineer is basically a mechanical engineer.

U should also know dt automation is not same as computer science. Saying or inferring dt is same as saying a crop scientist who learnt GIS is a geographic or town planner.

It's clear dt as one progress in every field, there is increased interplay wt other fields. but that does not erode d root of d field itself away, albeit d field may eventually stand alone.

Finally, dapo_bear said it all in very simple words. I only wish I could do dt much earlier.

More vaseline to ur elbow  grin grin grin
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Rhino5dm: 11:40pm On Jul 03, 2011
Orishi rishi sha! What they are simply telling you is that he is NOT recognise as an Engineer by the body i.e Nigerian society of Engineers.

Similar to when you are a law graduate you can't be refer to as barrister without attending and passing the law school or neither will you be able to defend any one in the courts of law without passing through law school.

Even if you are a engineering graduate you are not automatically qualify to be call an ENGINEER without passing the mandatory NSE exams and meeting the stipulated minimum years of practice in your feild of studies.

If you are a Nigerian engineering graduate, you shouldn't be argueing this if indeed you pass all your foundation courses. ES227(Enginerr in Society) is a course which describe all the process in details of becoming an Engineer i.e be it at student level, graduate level, corporate, consultant or associate level

I know so many guys in the feild that are not recognize by the body which has the sole right to do that. My 2cents!
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 12:10am On Jul 04, 2011
http://www.geometricpower.com/bon.htm

Professor Bart Nnaji is the Chairman/CEO of Geometric Power Limited (GPL) - the first indigenously owned private sector power company in Nigeria. Nnaji led the group that financed, designed and built a power plant in Abuja supplying electricity to the Nigerian Electric Power Authority. He served as Federal Minister of Science and Technology of Nigeria in 1993. Prior to his appointment, the Ministry was abolished. He therefore created what is now the modern Federal Ministry of Science and Technology in Nigeria.

He was Distinguished Professor of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (1983-1996); Alcoa Foundation Professor of Engineering at University of Pittsburgh (1996-2002); William Kepler Whiteford Professor of Engineering, and Director of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Center for e-Design (2002- Present) – a multi-campus NSF Center of Excellence consortium of the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Central Florida, Virginia Tech, and University of Massachusetts Amherst and member of organizations; Department of Defense, Boeing, Kodak, GE, IBM, Ford Motor Company, Alcoa, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon, BAE, ANSYS, and Lockheed Martin. He has served as principal or co-principal investigator on over $40 million research sponsored by the NSF, NATO, Department of Defense, and many companies. He has published 5 books and over 100 technical articles. His book, Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Engineering, won the 1994 world best text book prize for Manufacturing Engineering. He is the founding Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Design and Manufacturing and has served as Editor of many professional journals. He has served as Chairman of many conferences including the World Conference on Robotics Research (1991); the UN Institute for Training and Research Workshop for diplomats from various parts of the world at the UN headquarters on debt and financial management for developing countries (2001 and 2002).

He has received numerous awards: Honorary Doctor of Science from the Federal University of Technology, Yola; Honorary Doctor of Technology from Enugu State University of Science and Technology; Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka; 1988 Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award by the Society of Manufacturing Engineering; 1992 Outstanding Young Industrial Engineer Award; Fellow of Nigerian Academy of Science; Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), Fellow of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers; the U.S. Secretary of State's Distinguished Public Service Award (1995); Distinguished Scientist Award by the World Bank – IMF Africa Group (October 1998); the national honor – Commander of the Order of Niger by Nigerian Head of State (January 1999); the national honor – Officer of the Order of Niger by Nigerian President (November 16, 2000); the ARCO Excellence in Science & Technology Award (2001); Baker Distinguished Research Award (the highest research award given by the IIE) (May 2001); and the 2004 Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM) – Nigeria’s highest intellectual merit award.

Professor Nnaji has a B.S. in Physics from St. John's University with distinction; an M.S. and Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Virginia Tech, and obtained a certificate of Postdoctoral studies in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics from MIT.

I do not know how any NSE blah!! blah!! blah!! wants to compare to this vita here. Jealousy. The same NSE under whose watch houses keeping falling all over Nigeria. Yeye dey boom. Many of you are not fit to tie the man's academic, technological and engineering shoe lace.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 12:18am On Jul 04, 2011
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
The following are guidelines for persons aspiring to become members of the Nigerian Society of Engineers. There are six grades of membership namely: Fellow, Honorary Fellow, Corporate Member, Graduate Member, Associate and Student Member. The education and training required for each grade of membership are listed hereunder:

1. STUDENT MEMBER
A Student Member shall be a person who is undertaking an approved engineering course of training leading to a degree in an institution recognised by the Council of the Society for the purpose of training professional engineers.

Application Method
Download form from www.nse.org.ng, fill and pay the sum of One hundred naira (#100) at the point of submission. Form can be submitted through your local NSE students chapter in your institution or NSE headquarters, Abuja. The sum of Five hundred naira (#500) is paid annully.

2. GRADUATE MEMBER
A person seeking admission to Graduate Membership shall possess an academic qualification acceptable to the Council of the Society and registrable by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) under the provisions of the Engineering Registration Decree (No.55) of 1970 or such amendments thereof. Post-qualification practical experience shall not be a requirement for entry into this class. HND holders are not registrable

Application Method
This Grade of membership is for students of (Engineering) who have graduated from various institutions of higher learning. The form is to be submitted with the sum of Five hundred naira (#500) while the annual subscription fee is One thousand naira (#1000).

3. CORPORATE MEMBER
CANDIDATES ARE GROUPED INTO VARIOUS CATEGORIES THUS:

A1 Candidates who are holders of the Bachelor's degree in Engineering whose institutions' programmes are accredited by COREN and with such candidates having been registered by COREN as professional Engineers.

A2 Candidates who are already Corporate Members of Engineering Institutions (licensed as Professional Chartered or Registered Engineers) recognized by COREN.

B1 Candidates who are holders of the Bachelor's degree in Engineering whose qualifications are accredited by COREN or any overseas accreditation board recognised by COREN. Such candidates must have acquired a minimum of 4 years post-qualification experience.

B2 Candidates who are graduates of unaccredited Engineering courses from Nigerian Universities and had acquired a minimum of 6 years post-graduation experience in the practice of Engineering. Such candidates must have graduated not later than 1991.

B3 Candidates who obtained HND in Engineering from approved institution and have successfully completed the NSE Graduateship Examinations and have had additional 2 years of engineering practice. However, those with up to 15 years post HND experience will not be required to wait for 2 years.

B4 Candidates who have obtained HND in Engineering before proceeding to do an accredited Master's programme or post Higher National Diploma in Engineering in addition to a minimum of six (6) years post HND experience; plus.

(a) Minimum of 2 years post bridging qualification from accredited Nigerian University/Faculties/Bodies.

(b) Minimum of 4 years post-bridging qualification from unaccredited Nigerian Universities/Faculties not later than 1991. Membership Committee shall ascertain that the Master's programme or post Higher National Diploma programme has adequately corrected the deficiencies inherent in the earlier programme.

B5 Candidates who are graduates in the sciences with post graduate qualifications in Engineering accredited by COREN and have been working in Engineering related fields?

C1 Candidates who are holders of correct and adequate basic academic qualifications by COREN Standards and Regulations who are 40 years and above. Such candidates as at the time of application must have a minimum of 10 years post-qualification experience. The candidates must appear in person.

C2 Candidates who are holders of correct and adequate basic academic qualifications by COREN Standards and Regulations and are top executives in Government parastatals or Industries etc who are not only 45 years and above with respect of age, but who, as at the time of application have minimum of 15 years post qualification experience. They may be accorded Presidential interview on the recommendation of the Membership Committee. The candidates need not appear for interview.

Application Method
Download the Membership Form and submit it with the sum of One thousand naira. After the submission of form and subsequent acceptance, Professional Interview will be conducted for the candidates. The sum of twenty thousand naira (#20,000) is paid by candidate as processing fees for the interview.
HND students are expected to sit for a pre-qualification exam (Graduateship Exam) before the general interview.

4. ASSOCIATE
A person seeking election, as an Associate of the Society shall posses an academic qualification at the level of a university degree in the sciences allied to engineering science, or the qualifications approved by the Council of the Society. In addition, he shall have been engaged on work related to the practice of engineering for a minimum period of 5 years.

5. REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS FOR FELLOWSHIP AWARD BY THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF ENGINEERS
� All candidates must have been corporate members of the Society for 10 years in addition to what we have in the Memorandum and Articles of Association of NSE.

� All HND holders must have additional academic qualification(s) before Fellowship.

� All referees must be financial members of the Society and their reference letters must be received before the consideration of the candidate�s application.

� Only the President can waive this option.

� Must have attended at least 5 AGMs in the last ten years prior to the year of application.

- Must have written and presented four (4) Technical/Management papers at NSE and or any other fora acceptable to the Board of Fellows. All papers must have been presented in the last 10 years.

� Must have worked on some outstanding projects (that stand out from the ordinary).

� Attended the yearly refresher Engineering Courses/Workshops to make him or her current on engineering practice and not with obsolete knowledge � must show evidence of this in the application form.

� Must be active in his or her Branch and Division activities.

� Financial status must be consistent. There must be evidence of consistency in the payment of dues to NSE in the last 5 years.

(a) PROCESSING FEES
The processing fees for the two categories of Fellowship had been reviewed upwards as follows:

i) By invitation - the Council had approved N1.5m for applicants by invitation. The intention was to limit the number of applicants for this category and encourage applicants by application.

ii) By application - the Council also approved N50,000 for this category of applicants.

6. HONORARY FELLOW
The Council of the Society may at its discretion elect distinguished persons to Honorary Fellowship. Such persons, though not necessarily engineers, would normally have used their positions to render notable assistance to the practice of engineering science.

NOTE:

All Forms are downloadable on our website: www.nse.org.ng. To download, Click on Download link and click on appropriate form.

Are you intending to register with the NSE?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ziccoit: 1:33am On Jul 04, 2011
I don't get it. Do you need to be an engineer to steal public fund?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 1:54am On Jul 04, 2011
Who is the NSE president. May we see his vita?

''President

Engr. Chief Olumuyiwa Alade Ajibola is the 27th President of the Society, Fellow of the Society and a winner of many distinguished awards for service to the Society. He was two-time Vice-President, Deputy President and member of Council.

The President has put in over 40 years in the practice of engineering as a construction works supervisor, project manager and consultant.

He was inaugurated at a colourful investiture ceremony on the 16th of January 2010 at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.''

http://www.nse.org.ng/index2.php?page=president

Is this here introduction not to scant to be posted on the NSE website for their president? Or does he not have much to show?
So much for NSE. My foot!!!!!
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 1:56am On Jul 04, 2011
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS http://www.nse.org.ng/index2.php?page=member
The following are guidelines for persons aspiring to become members of the Nigerian Society of Engineers.  There are six grades of membership namely:  Fellow, Honorary Fellow, Corporate Member, Graduate Member, Associate and Student Member.  The education and training required for each grade of membership are listed hereunder:

1.         STUDENT MEMBER
A Student Member shall be a person who is undertaking an approved engineering course of training leading to a degree in an institution recognised by the Council of the Society for the purpose of training professional engineers.

Application Method
Download form from www.nse.org.ng,  fill and pay the sum of One hundred naira (#100) at the point of submission. Form can be submitted through your local NSE students chapter in your institution or NSE headquarters, Abuja. The sum of Five hundred naira (#500) is paid annully.

2.         GRADUATE MEMBER
A person seeking admission to Graduate Membership shall possess an academic qualification acceptable to the Council of the Society and registrable by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) under the provisions of the Engineering Registration Decree (No.55) of 1970 or such amendments thereof.  Post-qualification practical experience shall not be a requirement for entry into this class.  HND holders are not registrable

Application Method
This Grade of membership is for students of (Engineering) who have graduated from various institutions of higher learning. The form is to be submitted with the sum of Five hundred naira (#500) while the annual subscription fee is One thousand naira (#1000).

3. CORPORATE MEMBER
CANDIDATES ARE GROUPED INTO VARIOUS CATEGORIES THUS:

A1 Candidates who are holders of the Bachelor's degree in Engineering whose institutions' programmes are accredited by COREN and with such candidates having been registered by COREN as professional Engineers.

A2 Candidates who are already Corporate Members of Engineering Institutions (licensed as Professional Chartered or Registered Engineers) recognized by COREN.

B1 Candidates who are holders of the Bachelor's degree in Engineering whose qualifications are accredited by COREN or any overseas accreditation board recognised by COREN. Such candidates must have acquired a minimum of 4 years post-qualification experience.

B2 Candidates who are graduates of unaccredited Engineering courses from Nigerian Universities and had acquired a minimum of 6 years post-graduation experience in the practice of Engineering. Such candidates must have graduated not later than 1991.

B3 Candidates who obtained HND in Engineering from approved institution and have successfully completed the NSE Graduateship Examinations and have had additional 2 years of engineering practice. However, those with up to 15 years post HND experience will not be required to wait for 2 years.

B4 Candidates who have obtained HND in Engineering before proceeding to do an accredited Master's programme or post Higher National Diploma in Engineering in addition to a minimum of six (6) years post HND experience; plus.

(a) Minimum of 2 years post bridging qualification from accredited Nigerian University/Faculties/Bodies.

(b) Minimum of 4 years post-bridging qualification from unaccredited Nigerian Universities/Faculties not later than 1991. Membership Committee shall ascertain that the Master's programme or post Higher National Diploma programme has adequately corrected the deficiencies inherent in the earlier programme.

B5 Candidates who are graduates in the sciences with post graduate qualifications in Engineering accredited by COREN and have been working in Engineering related fields?

C1 Candidates who are holders of correct and adequate basic academic qualifications by COREN Standards and Regulations who are 40 years and above. Such candidates as at the time of application must have a minimum of 10 years post-qualification experience. The candidates must appear in person.

C2 Candidates who are holders of correct and adequate basic academic qualifications by COREN Standards and Regulations and are top executives in Government parastatals or Industries etc who are not only 45 years and above with respect of age, but who, as at the time of application have minimum of 15 years post qualification experience. They may be accorded Presidential interview on the recommendation of the Membership Committee. The candidates need not appear for interview.

Application Method
Download the Membership Form and submit it with the sum of One thousand naira. After the submission of form and subsequent acceptance, Professional Interview will be conducted for the candidates. The sum of twenty thousand naira (#20,000) is paid by candidate as processing fees for the interview.
HND students are expected to sit for a pre-qualification exam (Graduateship Exam) before the general interview.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by niggapop(m): 1:59am On Jul 04, 2011
Fresh Air Indeed.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by ZnO: 3:13am On Jul 04, 2011
4. ASSOCIATE
A person seeking election, as an Associate of the Society shall posses an academic qualification at the level of a university degree in the sciences allied to engineering science, or the qualifications approved by the Council of the Society. In addition, he shall have been engaged on work related to the practice of engineering for a minimum period of 5 years.

5. REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS FOR FELLOWSHIP AWARD BY THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF ENGINEERS
� All candidates must have been corporate members of the Society for 10 years in addition to what we have in the Memorandum and Articles of Association of NSE.

� All HND holders must have additional academic qualification(s) before Fellowship.

� All referees must be financial members of the Society and their reference letters must be received before the consideration of the candidate�s application.

� Only the President can waive this option.

� Must have attended at least 5 AGMs in the last ten years prior to the year of application.

- Must have written and presented four (4) Technical/Management papers at NSE and or any other fora acceptable to the Board of Fellows. All papers must have been presented in the last 10 years.

� Must have worked on some outstanding projects (that stand out from the ordinary).

� Attended the yearly refresher Engineering Courses/Workshops to make him or her current on engineering practice and not with obsolete knowledge � must show evidence of this in the application form.

� Must be active in his or her Branch and Division activities.

� Financial status must be consistent. There must be evidence of consistency in the payment of dues to NSE in the last 5 years.

(a) PROCESSING FEES
The processing fees for the two categories of Fellowship had been reviewed upwards as follows:

i) By invitation - the Council had approved N1.5m for applicants by invitation. The intention was to limit the number of applicants for this category and encourage applicants by application.

ii) By application - the Council also approved N50,000 for this category of applicants.

6. HONORARY FELLOW
The Council of the Society may at its discretion elect distinguished persons to Honorary Fellowship. Such persons, though not necessarily engineers, would normally have used their positions to render notable assistance to the practice of engineering science.

NOTE:

All Forms are downloadable on our website: www.nse.org.ng. To download, Click on Download link and click on appropriate form.

Are you intending to register with the NSE?
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by occam(m): 3:57am On Jul 04, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

But looking at NSE statement, I think they got it wrong!

I am not a fan of GEJ -at all not in one bit,though I pray He performs-, in my own humble submission, you really do not need Engineers as Ministers. What you need is good policy makers and project managers something I know too well we engineers lack in.

NSE should rather fight to make sure those who do the actual work in those ministries so affected are competent engineers.
You do not have to be an engineer to know that a road needs an expansion or that a bridge needs levelling ora second tier!

The president can appoint engineers in his core team of professionals who will guide him to take firm decisions. In most of the developed countries, the skilled professionals work in cabinate office and they serve as "brain box" of government.They really never bother themselves with political appointments as that are left to those who know how to formulate policies.

Thanks a lot for your excellent comment

To buttress your point; the role of a minister is to ensure government policies are carried out. IMO, the most important skills are strong leadership, superior execution and people management. I believe it's only Justice and health departments that require a "subject matter expert" to be the minister; for other departments it's not mandatory.

As a Works Minister, you can appoint top notch engineers to advise and provide recommendations on key projects. You then focus on ensuring the FEC approves your budget and explaining to Nigerians the rationale of spending money on a specific project.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by jensinmi(m): 5:17am On Jul 04, 2011
Behold Jensinmi's Theorem regarding Governance:

Below are the core components required of a performing governor/ minister/ president.

1. Sincerity of purpose and intention
2. Critical Thinking
3. Willingness to listen to criticism
4. Ability to learn from the mistakes of others (and from one's own mistakes)
5. Ability to judge people's character and ability, and thus delegate them to the right tasks.

The above 5 things are what you need to succeed in Governance.

It doesn't matter if you are an illiterate (although some of these - esp. No. 2 - tend to come with education and exposure), if you possess these 5, you would make giant strides and succeed in any leadership position you find yourself.

In all honesty, GEJ scores 0/5.

Based on Jensinmi's Theorem, I can reasonably predict that GEJ's tenure would be a failure.

@ Gbawe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

If you keep responding to GEJ's proponents' replies, you'll type yourself into early osteoarthritis of the hands.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by member479760: 7:30am On Jul 04, 2011
If a Nigeria say, i am a bricklayer, carpenter, welder or taxi driver i will believe but if a Nigeria say I'm an engineer, i will look at him and walka pass.

see dem dey talk:

over 30 yrs we no fit complete the Ajaokuta project, meanwhile, the project has been 99% completed by the Russians the remaining 1% become k-leg.

we no fit build a power plant without 100% technical support - yet we make noise all over the place enginner, engineer, robotic blah blah blah, all na grammar.

whiteman will title you engineer if you performing the engineering duties, they dont need to know or see your certificate.

most of us only school just to talk and write grammar and not to apply the knowledge to develop our society.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:40am On Jul 04, 2011
@ All,

Before we all forget, is there only one portfolio that can possibly (or should definitely)
be filled by an Engineer?

Power and Steel

Works and Transport (Housing?)

Petroleum

Who gets to fill these posts?

Will Doctors love it if a vulcanizer gets Minister of health?

Will Lawyers love it if an Engineer becomes AGF?

Oh? Did I hear someone say " That's beside the point"?

"Nation Building" is all about Engineering.

Roads, Hospitals, Bridges, Power Supply, Water, Schools,

Railways, Ports, Refineries, etc, we have a dire shortage
of  all these, and no one who has the requisite knowledge
and experience fits the bill?

PDP (of which GEJ is a subset) may yet spell nothing but
doom for this Nation.
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Gbawe: 7:58am On Jul 04, 2011
jensinmi:

In all honesty, GEJ scores 0/5.

Based on Jensinmi's Theorem, I can reasonably predict that GEJ's tenure would be a failure.

Totally agree. I predicted the same thing before the elections. I actually surmised that he will be worse than Shehu Shagari.

@ Gbawe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

If you keep responding to GEJ's proponents' replies, you'll type yourself into early osteoarthritis of the hands.

You are right . Better to actually just watch GEJ trip himself up. As it is , some of his most intelligent apologists are no longer to be seen on Nairaland because , to their total disappointment and shame, we are seeing the opposite of what they passionately argued GEJ will do (e.g "privatize everything"wink . With time, even the few that continue to offer excuses here will 'ko igba wole' also. It can be no other way when you have Shehu Shagari part 2 i.e a total 'tool' of the "owners of Nigeria".
Re: No Engineer In Gej Cabinet, Yet Nigeria Want Technological Development. by Tarzan2009: 8:50am On Jul 04, 2011
Thanks for your comment. I read all through the trend hoping that someone intelligent will raise the point you raised. What qualifies one to be called an engineer? My understanding is that you must have an undergraduate degree in engineering, not masters or Phd. Master's and phd are insignificant in being an engineer. I am pretty familiar with U.S qualification to become a professional engineer. You must have an undergraduate degree in engineering, not science(physics as did Prof. Nnaji), take the fundamentals of engineering exam(statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics,e.t.c; these are pure engineering courses, don't know how you can pass this if you studied physics, is it funny? Hope this makes some sense guys) and also, the ethics exam which can be taken later after graduation. But, the fundamentals of engineering exam must be taken prior to your graduation in your undergraduate. Those who made this law are not stupid. They need you to have a solid background on statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, strength of materials, and calculus. A physicist/chemist has no clue of the engineering principles required to become an engineer.

This stupidity has being going on for a while now. I bet you all know the GMD of NNPC, this guy is a chemist by profession, and has been addressed as an engineer by most nigeria newspapers. It took the Genius of the NSE to call him to order and stopped him from using that title. Initially he said he didn't ask anyone to address him as an engineer, but why in the hell would you keep mute and not clarify it with the media if you have no interest or deriving joy from using it.

My two cents is, Prof. Barth Nnaji is not a an Engineer based on my aforementioned comment/facts. And the Nigeria Society of Engineer, as legitimate organization has done its research on Prof. Nnaji engineering background and minced no word labeling him as a non-engineer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

kkk / "Legalise Love": Google's Campaign For Gay Rights / Igbo Legible Voters In Lagos, You Must Vote On April 11, 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.