Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,141 members, 7,916,343 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:58 PM

10 Web Design Principles - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 10 Web Design Principles (381 Views)

Best 10 Web Hosting Companies In Nigeria April 2021 / Top 10 Web Designer In Ilorin / 10 Web Design Mistakes Every Web Designer Must Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Web Design Principles by Moondev: 7:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
What is web design principles?
Web design principles are general rules for designing web site that include basic guidelines for the design of layouts and interaction design, design principles are derived from fields as varied as Human computer interaction, usability and user experience design, Graphic design and Formatting, Color theory, Design processes and models. They can stand alone as universal rules or be the basis for the development of design methodologies

U may also like:- Things a website Newbie should know to save money

10 web design principles
Home Page

Home page should clearly show what the site is about. Given out top level navigation on the first page, your logo and navigation, tell to the visitor what he can found on your web site. Your home page should be educational, and should call your visitor on action. Home page is the place where the visitor chooses what he will do, click on some of your website links, or leave your website site. For example If you have a discount of you product , or if you offer some free service in attempt to make a contact with potential customers and attractive, make sure there is available link to that service on your home page. U may also like:- How to Create a High-Quality website

If you choose to implement flash intro on your home page, make sure to give the user possibility to be able to skip the flash intro. The link “skip intro” should be outside of the flash, because you will force the web site viewer to wait until the Flash movie is loaded. U may also like:- How To Create A Web Site

Navigation structure / menu

Put the navigation / menu bar on the place where the people are used to look for it. Don’t experiment with the navigation! I can’t stress enough this. Keep the menu / navigation system same on ALL pages example at the top. Visitors are not prepared to learn your site navigation / menu system. Consistency is the most important thing here. You should focus your effort on building consistent rhythm across all pages of your web site.

Font size

Your font size that is text size should be big enough, so your text can be read without stress. There are many people who will not bother to read very small words. Don’t lose your visitors because of font size. Optimal size seems to be 12, 13 or 14 font size. Visitors should be able to read your text easy, without any stress. Use big text size of texts in paragraphs and make them easy to follow.

Line Length

The length of a line of type have to be comfortable to read. The optimal line length for printed materials seems to be about 11 to 13 words, or 60 to 70 characters. Somewhat shorter lines of about 45 to 50 characters may be more suitable for larger displays. If the line is too extended the reader must search for the beginning of it; if it is too short it will break up words or phrases awkwardly.

Creating emphasis

Creating emphasis is significant and integral part of web designing and typesetting. Handled with taste and good ruling it can help straight and inform the reader. When these qualities are lacking, or somebody feels that every word is significant and must be emphasized in some way then your web site starts to look like a battlefield and becomes difficult to read!

Graphics

We all know that one picture worth more than million words. This rule applies on Internet too. Do your best to show clear, attractive pictures of your product. If you offer a service, find a picture which will best describe your services or website. However, be careful about file size. Don’t compress your pictures to that level to not be clear, but also don’t leave the picture on full quality. That will make file size too big, and will increase time for your web site to load.

Gif vs. JPEG

Less skilled web designers many times use wrong picture format to store their photo. Below are some few guidelines which will help mistakes to be avoided. If your photo has small number of colors (less than 64) GIF will be better choice. Make sure however to reduce the photo size too. That is, if your image have10-15 colors only, decrease your palette on 16 or 32 colors.

Also, if your picture contains text, GIF format should be your best choice. JPEG use lousy compression technique and will cause text and limits to become blurry.

If you want to save photo save it as JPEG

JPEG images can contain over 32 million dissimilar colors. That is ample more than the human eye can see.

If you want to include large text into a graphic image, JPEG may be a good format to use. While the edges may still get blurred, danger of it becoming illegible is slim. If you think your picture is more important than the text, you can use the JPEG format.

Speed

Do your best to reduce the download time. We live in a busy world and people are not will to wait long time for your web site to load. Try to decrease size of your graphics as much as can without to destroy the image quality. Make sure Image look good, but size (in KB) should be as small as possible.
Re: 10 Web Design Principles by Mall: 3:42am On Dec 16, 2023
Hello, have you ever tried website building software? I would like to know how this can improve the first impression of your brand and attract more customers.
Re: 10 Web Design Principles by homernewman84: 7:03am On Feb 17
I ordered branding from top branding companies - it's not just choosing a contractor, it's creating an image of my business. I started by analyzing the market and selecting candidates. I decided on an agency with experience in my industry. The agency proposed a concept that met my expectations as much as possible. Once the concept was approved, the creation of the logo, corporate identity and other brand elements began. As a result, my brand became distinctive and memorable.

(1) (Reply)

How To Create Your Website / Ask Me Anything About Web Hosting / I Need Opay Account For Sell Paying $$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.