Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,359 members, 7,947,582 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 01:04 AM

Personal Injury Attorney Not Releasing Funds From Settled Portion Of Our Case? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Personal Injury Attorney Not Releasing Funds From Settled Portion Of Our Case? (573 Views)

Itemisation Of Expenditures From Balance Of Funds From Dj’s Campaign / Anti-humbledbygrace Army!!! ~|Case Settled|~ / 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Personal Injury Attorney Not Releasing Funds From Settled Portion Of Our Case? by Demandress(m): 12:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
We have been dealing with a personal injury lawsuit for about two years. The accident occurred in CA and we reside in another state, so we are dealing with our attorney all long distance. The case has been complicated, mainly due to an inattentive attorney from the start, whom we fired. We retained our current attorney not too long ago and the case against the defendants insurance company has been resolved and funds have been sent to our attorney. Here is where it becomes tricky. The funds for my settlement have been sent to us, the attorney is holding the funds from my husband's portion of the settlement until a settlement is reached with our insurance company (the defendant was an underinsured driver, we had underisured driver coverage). Our attorney claims he cannot release these funds because he will more than likely need to spend the money on litigating the case against our insurance company, and it just does not make sense to me. In our eyes, the case against the defendant is closed (and in the courts eyes) I don't see why the funds cannot be released, but my attorney alleges this is normal practice in personal injury law. Anyone have any experience with a situation similar to this?

Thanks@@

Miami Personal Injury Lawyer
Miami Personal Injury Attorney
Re: Personal Injury Attorney Not Releasing Funds From Settled Portion Of Our Case? by obowunmi(m): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2011
This attorney knows that you are desperate for money and unaware of your legal rights. Indeed, it is true that litigation is costly but your money should be released to you after you have paid the attorney. But erm, not sure what to say or how to help. How much is the money ? And how much time are you willing to spend trying to redeem the funds ?

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Alert! / U.s. Is "parasite" On Global Economy / Mikel Father Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.