Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,888 members, 7,879,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 04:33 AM

I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse (53625 Views)

They Want Me To Marry Her Corpse, I refused / Her Family Told Me To Marry Her Corpse / Finally, I Have Decided To Leave Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by 1873ai: 5:54am On May 02, 2022
[s]
Mooh247:
Better to give to ceaser what belongs to Ceasar

May God give you fortitude to bear all your loss
[/s]

is that why you raped your nephew
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Phut(f): 6:59am On May 02, 2022
SandyLOVE08:
I want to get something straight. I have heard hundreds of this story. But I don't understand what you mean by marrying the corpse. Is it by just paying the bride price and other necessity or what
All that is required is that he pay the bride price. The corpse will still be in the mortuary.
The aim of this custom is to discourage the creating of babymama’s and to compel men to do right by women they impregnate. It also sends the message that if men want to be fathers, they have to be legally married. If they fail to marry the women, they are relegated to the status of sperm donors. The child belongs to the girls family and will answer her family name or if the woman marries, her husband may choose to adopt the child, which will answer his name. So it also discourages deadbeat dads who contribute nothing to the child’s welfare, but feels that the child will come looking for him, when the child is grown (in other words trying to reap where they have not sown.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Phut(f): 7:05am On May 02, 2022
Ugosample:

Traditions are man made
So the MUST attached to that statement you made up there is not applicable

Same things that we thought were sacred and people were scared of is the same thing that European invaders came and pissed on and burnt to ashes

Anyways no energy for too much grammar
Everyone bear his own load
But as for me......
I don't fvxk with barbarism
So compelling a man to do right by a woman he impregnates is barbarism to you. You would rather the current trend of some men leaving a stream of babymama’s in their wake. So much of the dysfunction in black America is creeping up among Nigerians at an alarming rate.
That custom is to ensure moral stability and balance in society. There is nothing in the least bit barbaric about it. It only reinforces the fact that there is no reward for bad behavior and being a sperm donor, does not a father make. Back in the days when this culture was strong, to be a father and have children to carry on your name, you must marry - no IF’s AND or BUT’s about it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Phut(f): 7:11am On May 02, 2022
afadi2410:
Can never render you financial assistance to marry a corpse
He is not literally marrying a corpse. He is just paying her bride price post humously. The corpse will not be present.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Phut(f): 7:18am On May 02, 2022
Roger3D:
Are you insane? Marry a corpse? jESUS
He is not literally marrying a corpse. There will be no ceremony with the corpse present. He is just required to pay the bride price post humously.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Phut(f): 7:51am On May 02, 2022
braine:
This exact thing happened to my brother.

The matter get as e be.
Your brother’s behavior get as e be. He should have done the right thing and married the woman he impregnated. Stop littering the place with baby mama’s. Stop trying to be fathers through the back door. Back in the day, if you want distribute your sperm far and wide - nothing for you. You are just. Sperm donor and not a father and will not have any children to carry your name forward. This was a custom that ensured moral stability instead of this burgeoning dysfunctional baby mama culture, that will eventually end up destroying the fabric of society, in years to come.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Ugosample(m): 8:11am On May 02, 2022
Phut:

So compelling a man to do right by a woman he impregnates is barbarism to you. You would rather the current trend of some men leaving a stream of babymama’s in their wake. So much of the dysfunction in black America is creeping up among Nigerians at an alarming rate.
That custom is to ensure moral stability and balance in society. There is nothing in the least bit barbaric about it. It only reinforces the fact that there is no reward for bad behavior and being a sperm donor, does not a father make. Back in the days when this culture was strong, to be a father and have children to carry on your name, you must marry - no IF’s AND or BUT’s about it.
Marrying a dead person is barbaric
There is no talking out of that
I'm not against getting married
If that's your thing; do it
But marrying a corpse ?
That's twistedundecided
Give it a few decades
Just maybe all dem barbaric practices will fall off

2 Likes

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Phut(f): 8:24am On May 02, 2022
Ugosample:

Marrying a dead person is barbaric
There is no talking out of that
I'm not against getting married
If that's your thing; do it
But marrying a corpse ?
That's twistedundecided
Give it a few decades
Just maybe all dem barbaric practices will fall off
You can be as pedestrian as you want by tagging it as “marrying a corpse.” He is not literally marrying a corpse. The corpse is not going to be present during the performance of the marriage rites. He is being asked to perform post humously, rites that he should have performed when the woman was alive.
When a man got a woman pregnant, marrying her was termed “making an honest woman of her.” What is wrong in honoring her and post humously making an honest woman of her.
Even in the Western culture that you seem so enamored by, people are honored post humously all the time.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by braine(m): 8:56am On May 02, 2022
Phut:

Your brother’s behavior get as e be. He should have done the right thing and married the woman he impregnated. Stop littering the place with baby mama’s. Stop trying to be fathers through the back door. Back in the day, if you want distribute your sperm far and wide - nothing for you. You are just. Sperm donor and not a father and will not have any children to carry your name forward. This was a custom that ensured moral stability instead of this burgeoning dysfunctional baby mama culture, that will eventually end up destroying the fabric of society, in years to come.

Look, having baby mamas is not a big deal. It has happened since time immemorial and will continue to happen all over the world. Forget all this Yinglish you're yarning.

What does not make sense is marrying a corpse, which is the bone of contention here.

1 Like

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by DrinkWater10: 9:18am On May 02, 2022
UncommonLogic:

May be because all those other tribes you mentioned will in vast majority respect other people's culture and religion but the Igbos are usually the ones to condemn and talk bad about other tribe's culture and religion while ignoring their own deficiencies. #HYPOCRITES.
If you are going to throw stones, you better not be living in a glass house.
You should take your own advice

1 Like

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Ugosample(m): 9:42am On May 02, 2022
Phut:

You can be as pedestrian as you want by tagging it as “marrying a corpse.” He is not literally marrying a corpse. The corpse is not going to be present during the performance of the marriage rites. He is being asked to perform post humously, rites that he should have performed when the woman was alive.
When a man got a woman pregnant, marrying her was termed “making an honest woman of her.” What is wrong in honoring her and post humously making an honest woman of her.
Even in the Western culture that you seem so enamored by, people are honored post humously all the time.
And what makes you think I am "enamored" by "western culture" ?
cheesy cheesy
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Singleone461: 10:41am On May 02, 2022
Do not try it if you value your life and your progress. You can give them money for her burial and make sure you didn't attend, give them money, but not for the marriage biko. Marrying a corps means you will be caged spiritually both marritaly and financialy. I know you are doing this for the sake of your son, you can let them take the child, maybe when he's of age you can go in search of him. THANK YOU
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Singleone461: 10:43am On May 02, 2022
Phut:

All that is required is that he pay the bride price. The corpse will still be in the mortuary.
The aim of this custom is to discourage the creating of babymama’s and to compel men to do right by women they impregnate. It also sends the message that if men want to be fathers, they have to be legally married. If they fail to marry the women, they are relegated to the status of sperm donors. The child belongs to the girls family and will answer her family name or if the woman marries, her husband may choose to adopt the child, which will answer his name. So it also discourages deadbeat dads who contribute nothing to the child’s welfare, but feels that the child will come looking for him, when the child is grown (in other words trying to reap where they have not sown.
You nail it my dear. Sperm donors are much in the society

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Roger3D(m): 1:39pm On May 02, 2022
Phut:

He is not literally marrying a corpse. There will be no ceremony with the corpse present. He is just required to pay the bride price post humously.
And kind of tradition is that? I mean it's horrible
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by SandyLOVE08(f): 2:09pm On May 02, 2022
Phut:

Thank you so very much for taking your time to explain. I appreciate

1 Like

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by SandyLOVE08(f): 2:09pm On May 02, 2022
joyandfaith:

They want to monetize their daughters especially if children are involved. If dead women have no child I don't think issue of getting married to corpse would arise. It is a tradition borne out of greediness.
wow that maybe true
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Tradegood: 9:08pm On May 02, 2022
StilmaVsBorn2w:
Update:

Sorry my people I asked for financial assistance.
am at her fathers compound presently,. I know everything will fall in place.
God works in mysterious ways, thank you all for your comments.
once again thank you

Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/7102223/want-me-marry-corpse-refused

When you claim to be wiser than GOD's instruction.

This is quite befitting for Red Demon Pillers.
You cannot "simp" for the living but can marry a corpse!!
You forbid marriage to a living girl but chest marrying her dead body.
What a misplacement!

(After all, you can still beat your chest to say you never "simped" for any girl and you'd be technically correct.)

Smh.

I am just hearing of such a tradition.

1 Like

Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by annex1: 11:14pm On May 03, 2022
StilmaVsBorn2w:
Update:

once again thank you

If this advise isn't too late then Refuse this!

If you don't have the means to fight for custody legally, leave the child for them. Open a savings account for the child and drop cash there regularly till whenever and surely some day when you can legally fight for your child's custody. Dont be swayed by the thought that the child won't bear your name - its just a nomenclature!

80% of comments here telling you to go ahead are from people who hate the idea of wedlock (and) generally, men having their way with baby mommas trend and what not! Their intention is to mock you & watch you suffer more for same and by extension maybe just maybe other men won't tow same path. But it is something that has been for years prior and will continue to be. So DO NOT pay heed to them.

Where was the family when you sought loans to care for their sick daughter whom you were not married to?
Remit whatever amount you have to them towards her burial and make it clear thats the purpose of it.
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by syntekelite(m): 8:07am On May 04, 2022
You could have avoided all this if you had seek for advice before reacting angrily..funny part is you arent supposed to spend much all they wanted was your presence and acknowledgment that you respect their wishes and traditions,thats called respect..its the uncles that will give you a soft landing had you used wisdom..they will just tel you to buy lil stuffs and drinks that will be all .. you can still manage the situation just be calm,select the most lenient uncle take him aside and beg .. explain your love fr her,why u didnt pay bride price,how much you expended trying to save your precious womans life..tell him you were in shock and still mournin her loss when you first reacted angrily .. it will be well.
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by BluntCrazeMan: 1:30pm On Jun 18, 2022
StilmaVsBorn2w:
Update:

once again thank you

Sheey you buried her in your own village, and not her own village?
Re: I Have Decided To Marry Her Corpse by Emmyjay007(m): 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2022
Good day Naralanders
Please help a fellow Naralander, I have been out of employment for over a year now and I have a 4 yr old asmatic son.
He has been admitted in LUTH now for over a week and I have run out of resources, I can't even afford his inhaler and other prescribed drugs let alone pay for his treatment..
I beg with all humility do sis. Anything at all Will be of help
Gtbank

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'I Regret Pushing My Husband To Move Us From Okota To Lekki Phase 1' - Woman / Mum Forcefully Brushing Her Son's Teeth ( Hilarious Photo ) / When Women Lie That They Are Pregnant Just To Trap Guys Into Marrying Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.