Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,154 members, 7,890,905 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:58 PM

"If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" (2470 Views)

If Allah Is God, Why Does He Pray For Muhammad? Surah 33:43, 33:56, And 2:157? / "If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say That The Father Was Greater Than He?" / Christians Pray To Water Stain 'Shaped Like Virgin Mary' In Colombia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26pm On May 04, 2022
"If Jesus is God, then who did He pray to?"

This is a very common question. See the answer at carm.org
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Jashub: 10:34pm On May 04, 2022
A lot of people differ on this but I'll hold my peace on this matter .
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Mandate2023: 10:38pm On May 04, 2022
No one said Jesus is God

Even a mad person knows about d saying "Jesus is Lord'

U dis terrorists won't focus on ur miserable religion that is setting d world ablaze
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Realist12: 10:53pm On May 04, 2022
Jesus never claimed to be God, Greek mythology was mixed with Christianity. Great Men in ancient Greece were worshipped as gods and demigods. Just like African gods lived on earth .

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:56pm On May 04, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Objection: Jesus Prayed:

Some cults argue that because Jesus prayed to the Father, He could not truly be God. 

Biblically, however, it was in His humanity that Christ prayed to the Father.  Since Christ came as a man -- and since one of the proper duties of man is to worship, pray to and adore God -- it was perfectly proper for Jesus to address the Father in prayer.  Positionally speaking as a man, as a Jew and as our High Priest -- "in all things He had to be made like His brethren" (Hebrews 2:7) -- Jesus could pray to the Father.  But this in no way detracts from His intrinsic deity. AiG

2 Likes

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 10:58pm On May 04, 2022
Jesus is God. In Christianity we know God the father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit. Our entire faith is founded upon Christ being as much God as the father. To deny that, to be apologetic about that, to concede even one bit against that, is a denial of the faith.

If you don't believe so, you are not a Christian the bible way. If you feel the need to debate against the deity of Christ, you are not a true Christian. If you mention me to call me misguided or whatever you wish, I will not respond as I don't care what you think.

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 04, 2022
KaLuCh:
Jesus is God. In Christianity we know God the father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit. Our entire faith is founded upon Christ being as much God as the father. To deny that, to be apologetic about that, to concede even one bit against that, is a denial of the faith.

If you don't believe so, you are not a Christian the bible way. If you feel the need to debate against the deity of Christ, you are not a true Christian. If you mention me to call me misguided or whatever you wish, I will not respond as I don't care what you think.
You just added confusion.
There's God Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Olodumare, Olorun. There's Jesus, a creation by God that was exalted to the post of a son.
Jesus is called God cos he behaves like God in a like father like son manner. That's why He's the most honoured. You can compare him with the Angels. But He earned higher honour for daring to come to the world as human to suffer & die for sins of mankind.
So if a Christian says Jesus is God, what they are saying is He's like God cos He has attained the post of son. A son has right like the father.
Non Christians who doesn't understand this think Christians are worshipping Jesus.
Whereas Jesus only teach Christians how to pray to God using His name & believing in Him.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Jashub: 11:33pm On May 04, 2022
Sweetplum:

There's God Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Olodumare, Olorun. There's Jesus, a creation by God that was exalted to the post of a son.
Jesus is called God cos he behaves like God in a like father like son manner. That's why He's the most honoured. You can compare him with the Angels. But He earned higher honour for daring to come to the world as human to suffer & die for sins of mankind.
So if a Christian says Jesus is God, what they are saying is He's like God cos He has attained the post of son. A son has right like the father.
Non Christians who doesn't understand this think Christians are worshipping Jesus.
Whereas Jesus only teach Christians how to pray to God using His name & believing in Him.
If Jesus is not God Almighty then who is God ? Have you forgotten that Jesus always spoke about His father ? Who is His Father and what did He tell His disciples when they asked about who His Father was?
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Nobody: 4:37am On May 05, 2022
Jashub:
If Jesus is not God Almighty then who is God ? Have you forgotten that Jesus always spoke about His father ? Who is His Father and what did He tell His disciples when they asked about who His Father was?
He told is disciples to cooperate with eachother (unionism), that He's the way to his father. And if anyone believe in him, such as believed in God Almighty.
Read this verse: John 17:21 “That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.”
So...who's Jesus father? God Almighty.
The similarity or comparison arose cos Jesus resembled God in character/nature.

2 Likes

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 4:49am On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

Only if you could show me where the Bible says Jesus is God the Son.
Misinformed people sha.

2 Likes

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 7:09am On May 05, 2022
cornelboy:

Only if you could show me where the Bible says Jesus is God the Son.
Misinformed people sha.

For using the word misinformed, I would not reply you but just maybe if I show you what you asked, you might see the light. If you don't, well, at least I tried.

Places in the bible where Jesus was called God and where He referred to Himself as the Son of God.

John 10:30 “The Father and I are one.”

Titus 2:13-“Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ”

Isaiah 7:14-“Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel” (which literally means “God with us”).

Malachi 3:1-2-“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

Philippians 2:5-6 “You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.”

John 1:18 “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.“

Colossians 2:9-10 “For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily. and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority."

Matthew 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

2 Peter 1:1 “Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.“

John 5:18 “This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.“

John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.“

9. John 1:14 “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.“

Revelation 1:17-18 “When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.“

Acts 20:28 “Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.“

Romans 9:5 "of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.
"

1 Timothy 3:16-“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”

Heb. 1:8-9 “But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows”

By no means an exhaustive list. I don't really care what you think, but Jesus is God.

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 7:23am On May 05, 2022
Sweetplum:

Oh man.

Listen up.... Jesus was referred to severally as Lord, God and The son of God, from the old testament up to the new. The son... Definite article, not a son of God. You get it? That's why the Jews called Him blasphemous... No one else is called the Son.. Others are children of God. If he referred to Himself as a son or child of God, they would have been very fine with it because even them called themselves children of God.

REFERENCE: John 5:18 “This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.“

And where in the world did you get that Jesus is like God but just like an angel?

Do you understand what this means?: John 10:30 “The Father and I are one.”

It means they are one and the same, not alike... You are probably like your father or mother, but you are not one with them.

Jesus is not like God the father, Jesus is one and the same as God the father.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Jashub: 7:27am On May 05, 2022
Sweetplum:

He told is disciples to cooperate with eachother (unionism), that He's the way to his father. And if anyone believe in him, such as believed in God Almighty.
Read this verse: John 17:21 “That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.”
So...who's Jesus father? God Almighty.
The similarity or comparison arose cos Jesus resembled God in character/nature.
But that's not true . In John 14 :8 , Philip asked Jesus to show them His Father ? And what was His reply? John14:9 Have I been with you so long ,and yet you have not known me Me Philip? He who has seen Me has the seen the Father ;so how can you say show us the Father ? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me?

This plainly says that Jesus is the Father , which happens to be a very , very strong claim . In fact, it was for this reason the Jews wanted to stone Him in John8:58 because He blasphemed and made the claim He was God .
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Nobody: 8:10am On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

Oh man.

Listen up.... Jesus was referred to severally as Lord, God and The son of God, from the old testament up to the new. The son... Definite article, not a son of God. You get it? That's why the Jews called Him blasphemous... No one else is called the Son.. Others are children of God. If he referred to Himself as a son or child of God, they would have been very fine with it because even them called themselves children of God.

REFERENCE: John 5:18 “This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.“

And where in the world did you get that Jesus is like God but just like an angel?

It means they are one and the same, not alike... You are probably like your father or mother, but you are not one with them.

All your reference still relate to my explanation. I explained Jesus acted like God the father. He wanted people to believe Him like God. That's indeed what angered the Jews when they saw the comparison.
So...what I said is right.
Christianity worked now with Trinity.
1. There's God Yahweh who's who has been communicating before Jesus came to the world in human form.

2. There's God the Son which is Jesus.

3. There's God the Spirit which is the Holy Spirit.

God communicated in the old testament directly. Jesus came during the early part of the new testament. The Holy Spirit was sent by Jesus to be with mankind till today.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Nobody: 8:11am On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

Oh man.

Shebi you mention that Jesus was referred as Son of God. Ehn He resembled Daddy ni.
And Jesus assured people that when they see Him, they v seen God. All join ni meaning like Father like Son.
Last Drop: Lastly, address me as Miss. Not Man.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 8:25am On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

For using the word misinformed, I would not reply you but just maybe if I show you what you asked, you might see the light. If you don't, well, at least I tried.

Places in the bible where Jesus was called God and where He referred to Himself as the Son of God.

John 10:30 “The Father and I are one.”

Titus 2:13-“Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ”

Isaiah 7:14-“Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel” (which literally means “God with us”).

Malachi 3:1-2-“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

Philippians 2:5-6 “You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.”

John 1:18 “No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.“

Colossians 2:9-10 “For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily. and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority."

Matthew 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

2 Peter 1:1 “Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.“

John 5:18 “This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.“

John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.“

9. John 1:14 “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.“

Revelation 1:17-18 “When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.“

Acts 20:28 “Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.“

Romans 9:5 "of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.
"

1 Timothy 3:16-“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”

Heb. 1:8-9 “But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows”

By no means an exhaustive list. I don't really care what you think, but Jesus is God.

Where does the Bible say Jesus is God the son?

Where does it say Jesus is God in same essence as the the Father?

Does calling someone God make him equal to the true God, the Father whose name is Jehovah (Yahweh)?

What did Jesus teach about the person of God?
Did he say God is three in one or just one singular person? John 17:3

What did Paul an Apostle filled with the holy spirit say about God? He said the Father is the one God there's. 1 Corinthians 8:5&6, Ephesians 4:6.

God, the Father made Jesus both the Messiah and Lord.
Did Jesus have anything on his own or he got everything from the Father? Power, authority, name, kingdom, from whom did Jesus got them from? Is Jesus in anyway co equal, co powerful, co existing as the Trinitarians teach?

So did the early church believe in trinity or one person God, the Father?

When did people start believing in the pagan doctrine of trinity?

God, the Father called some certain people Gods in the Bible, did that mean those people are Gods in same essence as God Himself?

2 Likes

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:01am On May 05, 2022
Jesus WAS God just as Moses WAS God! Exodus 7:1
So the same person made both Moses and Jesus like Gods in the midst of humans that's why God told the Israelites:

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. Deuteronomy 18:18

God sent both Moses and Jesus so they were like Gods in the midst of their audience because they spoke and it was happening as if they were Gods. But they both gave the glory to the Almighty who sent them! wink

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 10:05am On May 05, 2022
cornelboy:

Where does the Bible say Jesus is God the son?

Where does it say Jesus is God in same essence as the the Father?

Does calling someone God make him equal to the true God, the Father whose name is Jehovah (Yahweh)?

What did Jesus teach about the person of God?
Did he say God is three in one or just one singular person? John 17:3

What did Paul an Apostle filled with the holy spirit say about God? He said the Father is the one God there's. 1 Corinthians 8:5&6, Ephesians 4:6.

God, the Father made Jesus both the Messiah and Lord.
Did Jesus have anything on his own or he got everything from the Father? Power, authority, name, kingdom, from whom did Jesus got them from? Is Jesus in anyway co equal, co powerful, co existing as the Trinitarians teach?

So did the early church believe in trinity or one person God, the Father?

When did people start believing in the pagan doctrine of trinity?

God, the Father called some certain people Gods in the Bible, did that mean those people are Gods in same essence as God Himself?

1. Boss, that the bible doesn't use the phrase God the Son is what you are holding on to? What kind of logic sef is that... He called God His father, Himself the son, and from many scriptural references, He is God.. Thus, God the son. Or the Son who is God or God who is the Son... This is not difficult. But people wey dey find talk would grasp at anything.

If you still don't think He is God the Son, that's fine. I'm done with that.

2. YES, calling someone GOD makes them equal to GOD. THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD. There are no scriptural classification of GOD. Gods is not the plural of GOD. GOD IN PLURAL IS GOD. In the Bible, Eloah and Elohim are translated GOD, even though ELOHIM is pluraic for GOD. In Hebrew Bible, GOD (Eloah and Elohim) are differentiated from god or gods by the addition of the article ha-, to mean, the God.

Thus gods are not of the same essence or class as GOD. There is only ONE class of GOD, one essence of GOD. Jesus is in that class from the begining.. That's what my Bible says, He is first and last, the mighty God.

(Ref: Isaiah 9:6- “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”)

Jesus was not referred to as god or gods as men and heavenly hosts were sometimes.

3. If Jesus is God, and the Father is God, obviously you can't have one person God. Three distinct persons hold the office of God. It's not 3 God, it is 3 persons of equal GODSHIP. I'm sure you understand the concept of the arms of Governmnent... Even more appropriate, three kings in a kingdom. It happens.

Again, the apostle you mentioned still called Jesus, God. It's either he was stupid to say still call the Father, God and yet says there's only one God or you simply don't want to understand the fact that three distinct persons were constantly referred to as God equally in the Bible..

Here's what the Lord said to that effect:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit... (Matthew 28:18 & 19).

You can also throw another of your strawman's argument that the above scriptural reference does not imply 3 person of equal authority... But here's one more place where Eloah referred to Elohim in the bible:

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

4. Now let's go by your logic that the Father made the son everything the son is. Well do you know the concept of Heir apparent? It is the son or prince that takes all the authority and status of the King, and once that happens, the son becomes King, equal in position, dominion and class.

Jesus said “All authority (all power of absolute rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me..." (Matt 28:18).

All authority in heaven means 'all authority in heaven' with the exception of nothing. The FATHER doesn't have a higher authority than the SON.

5. About the early church not believing in the trinity, boss, Peter referred to Jesus as God, Paul did, Timothy did. Those were the bishops of the earliest church. But it goes even farther than them, Jesus was called God by David, Isaiah, Malachi, the Father himself... How farther back than that can we go to establish that Jesus is God... Do you even know the reason the Bible says the fullness of Godhead bodily dwelled in Jesus? Or why His name is the name that the father, the spirit and all of creation bows to?
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 10:09am On May 05, 2022
Sweetplum:

Shebi you mention that Jesus was referred as Son of God. Ehn He resembled Daddy ni.
And Jesus assured people that when they see Him, they v seen God. All join ni meaning like Father like Son.
Last Drop: Lastly, address me as Miss. Not Man.

Alright Miss. But then I didn't refer to you as man. I exclaimed Oh man. Exclamation. It's like exclaimaning Jesus to express shock. That wouldn't mean I called you Jesus.

Back to topic. I have said everything I would want to say about this in my preceding comment. The Jehova witnesses among us can hold on to their belief, I'll hold on to mine.

Gracias
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by MrCodeSolo: 10:24am On May 05, 2022
u go to a church, and u hear them singing 'trinitarian' gospel worship/praise songs and u go to another different one and you hear them singing some few 'non-trinitarian' songs and then finally you are invited for a 'special holy ghost-filled' service as they claimed to call it. And u still hear them mixmashing both trinitarian and non-trinitarian church songs during dia praise or worship segment and you are like F! C'mon now. You all christians are worshipping Jesus directly and indirectly in all your many christian denominations. Same bible, same jesus, one God. Your early church fathers should be held accountable for adding plenty spices, garnishes and 'what have you' into d gospel sandwich that now taste awfully strange to any non-christian. Judaism rejected christianity and they are still waiting for their own version of the messiah called christ. Islam accepted jesus miraculous birth and his prophethood status only. Allah Ta' ala is d one true and only God and prophet muhammed is his messenger. Assalam

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 10:28am On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

1. Boss, that the bible doesn't use the phrase God the Son is what you are holding on to? What kind of logic sef is that... He called God His father, Himself the son, and from many scriptural references, He is God.. Thus, God the son. Or the Son who is God or God who is the Son... This is not difficult. But people wey dey find talk would grasp at anything.

If you still don't think He is God the Son, that's fine. I'm done with that.

2. YES, calling someone GOD makes them equal to GOD. THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD. There are no scriptural classification of GOD. Gods is not the plural of GOD. GOD IN PLURAL IS GOD. In the Bible, Eloah and Elohim are translated GOD, even though ELOHIM is pluraic for GOD. In Hebrew Bible, GOD (Eloah and Elohim) are differentiated from god or gods by the addition of the article ha-, to mean, the God.

Thus gods are not of the same essence or class as GOD. There is only ONE class of GOD, one essence of GOD. Jesus is in that class from the begining.. That's what my Bible says, He is first and last, the mighty God.

(Ref: Isaiah 9:6- “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”)

Jesus was not referred to as god or gods as men and heavenly hosts were sometimes.

3. If Jesus is God, and the Father is God, obviously you can't have one person God. Three distinct persons hold the office of God. It's not 3 God, it is 3 persons of equal GODSHIP. I'm sure you understand the concept of the arms of Governmnent... Even more appropriate, three kings in a kingdom. It happens.

Again, the apostle you mentioned still called Jesus, God. It's either he was stupid to say still call the Father, God and yet says there's only one God or you simply don't want to understand the fact that three distinct persons were constantly referred to as God equally in the Bible..

Here's what the Lord said to that effect:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit... (Matthew 28:18 & 19).

You can also throw another of your strawman's argument that the above scriptural reference does not imply 3 person of equal authority... But here's one more place where Eloah referred to Elohim in the bible:

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

4. Now let's go by your logic that the Father made the son everything the son is. Well do you know the concept of Heir apparent? It is the son or prince that takes all the authority and status of the King, and once that happens, the son becomes King, equal in position, dominion and class.

Jesus said “All authority (all power of absolute rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me..." (Matt 28:18).

All authority in heaven means 'all authority in heaven' with the exception of nothing. The FATHER doesn't have a higher authority than the SON.

5. About the early church not believing in the trinity, boss, Peter referred to Jesus as God, Paul did, Timothy did. Those were the bishops of the earliest church. But it goes even farther than them, Jesus was called God by David, Isaiah, Malachi, the Father himself... How farther back than that can we go to establish that Jesus is God... Do you even know the reason the Bible says the fullness of Godhead bodily dwelled in Jesus? Or why His name is the name that the father, the spirit and all of creation bows to?

Your number 5 is what I fear the most. Where did those people call Jesus God in the Bible?

Is there any word like Godhead in the manuscript of the Bible?

But actually the fullness of God dwelled in Jesus through the holy spirit while he was human just like the fullness of God was in saints baptized with the holy spirit.

What's the difference between god, God and GOD?

So did they believe in trinity or not?

Or did they believe in one God, the Father?

In your number 4, why didn't Jesus have authority on his own?

Why did the Father give him authority? Will Jesus hold the authority forever?

If you can't answer that, just read 1 Corinthians 15:24-28. You'll see that Jesus will actually hand over his authority to GOD the Father in the future when he finishes his mission.

Surely right now, Jesus is the King of god's kingdom.

In conclusion, anything could be God, but the Father is the one true God there's.

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:39am On May 05, 2022
cornelboy:

Your number 5 is what I fear the most. Where did those people call Jesus God in the Bible?

But actually the fullness of God dwelled in Jesus through the holy spirit while he was human just like the fullness of God was in saints baptized with the holy spirit.

If you can't answer that, just read 1 Corinthians 15:24-28. You'll see that Jesus will actually hand over his authority to GOD the Father in the future when he finishes his mission.

In conclusion, anything could be God, but the Father is the one true God there's.

KaLuCh:

When chatting with someone please note their opening words.
The title "BOSS" connotes "Master" he already given a signal that you know more he's not just ready to admit openly.
Please try to be mild with him! smiley

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 11:49am On May 05, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

When chatting with someone please note their opening words.
The title "BOSS" connotes "Master" he already given a signal that you know more he's not just ready to admit openly.
Please try to be mild with him! smiley

That's a good point sir.

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by Nobody: 11:57am On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

Alright Miss. But then I didn't refer to you as man. I exclaimed Oh man. Exclamation. It's like exclaimaning Jesus to express shock. That wouldn't mean I called you Jesus.

Back to topic. I have said everything I would want to say about this in my preceding comment. The Jehova witnesses among us can hold on to their belief, I'll hold on to mine.

Gracias
Jesus is the Son of God.
Jesus gave we modern Christians direct access to God. We pray in His name. That's why He was referred to as God.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:08pm On May 05, 2022
cornelboy:

That's a good point sir.

When we preach and teach them in their homes we have the opportunity of reading their minds. Jesus can read people's minds directly but we can also discern what they're thinking through chatting with them and eye contact. It's not easy for humans to admit that another human like them knows better than them not while you're just someone they barely know and remember you're not even his Pastor, teacher or lecturer, and there are his fellow Churchgoers who also believe what he's saying. But with the little he's able to grasp he can sense that something is wrong somewhere.
Is this person a pastor too?
How come he knew so much?
And come to think of it, he believes in Jesus. So why is he saying something different from what we all agreed upon?

What matters most is that he called you "BOSS" without knowing who you are or your financial status. That's the evidence that he is learning something knew even if he's not going to accept it today! smiley

1 Like

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by tctrills: 12:59pm On May 05, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

He prayed to his Father who is also God. They are not the only Gods in the Universe There are many Gods but to us, we relate only to one God.

The bible called Jesus Christ God in the first chapter of John so that is undebatable. Jesus being God, does that mean his father cannot be God?
Jesus being the Savior, does that mean his Father cannot the Savior? Jesus being Lord, does that mean his father can't be Lord? To understand this better, you are a man, your father is a man and your son is also a man. Just because your father is a man does not mean that you cannot be a man. On the contrary, your father being a man makes you a man. The son of a man is a man and the Son of God is God.

2 Likes

Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 2:47pm On May 05, 2022
cornelboy:

Godhead in the bible

“For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily” (Colossians 2:9, KJV).

“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20, KJV)

“Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device” (Acts 17:29, KJV).

The Father calling Jesus, God:
Hebrews 1:8 "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom."

Isaiah calling Jesus God:
Isaiah 9:6- “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”

The rest are in the many scripture references I gave earlier. But at least this proves it goes way back. And like I said and still stand by, if He is God, He is God absolutely. There are no levels or classes to Godhood. Even if there are, Jesus belongs to the highest of them, the class of the Father, same as the Holy Spirit, same authority, same position, same everything, in fact ONE. Not alike, not of different classes but ONE. SAME.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by KaLuCh: 2:55pm On May 05, 2022
cornelboy:

That's a good point sir.

Tell him the truth, he's of the same Witness sect as you, he sounded like a little boy with that comment. Else he might also claim to be your father since you addressed him as sir.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 3:15pm On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

Tell him the truth, he's of the same Witness sect as you, he sounded like a little boy with that comment. Else he might also claim to be your father since you addressed him as sir.
Lol. He's actually a Father to me.
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:17pm On May 05, 2022
tctrills:

He prayed to his Father who is also God. They are not the only Gods in the Universe There are many Gods but to us, we relate only to one God.

The bible called Jesus Christ God in the first chapter of John so that is undebatable. Jesus being God, does that mean his father cannot be God?
Jesus being the Savior, does that mean his Father cannot the Savior? Jesus being Lord, does that mean his father can't be Lord? To understand this better, you are a man, your father is a man and your son is also a man. Just because your father is a man does not mean that you cannot be a man. On the contrary, your father being a man makes you a man. The son of a man is a man and the Son of God is God.

If Jesus prayed to His Father does that make the Father greater than the Son? undecided
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 3:19pm On May 05, 2022
KaLuCh:

Godhead in the bible
“For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily” (Colossians 2:9, KJV).
“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20, KJV)
“Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device” (Acts 17:29, KJV).
The Father calling Jesus, God:
Hebrews 1:8 "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom."
Isaiah calling Jesus God:
Isaiah 9:6- “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”
The rest are in the many scripture references I gave earlier. But at least this proves it goes way back. And like I said and still stand by, if He is God, He is God absolutely. There are no levels or classes to Godhood. Even if there are, Jesus belongs to the highest of them, the class of the Father, same as the Holy Spirit, same authority, same position, same everything, in fact ONE. Not alike, not of different classes but ONE. SAME.

Let's take it one by one. Let's start with Godhead.
What's the difference between Godhead and God?
Re: "If Jesus Is God, Then Who Did He Pray To?" by cornelboy(f): 3:21pm On May 05, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

If Jesus prayed to His Father does that make the Father greater than the Son? undecided
Read what tctrills wrote again. You no get im points.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do You Praise The Name Of Jesus Christ? / If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? / Is It True That Our Destiny Is In Our Hands?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.