Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,903 members, 7,872,931 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:38 AM

Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers (569 Views)

Aregbesola Seeks More Financial Allocation To States / Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes / Boko Haram Calls For Election Boycott, Jonathan Seeks US Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by EkoIle1: 6:52am On Jul 13, 2011
By Ini Ekott and Emmanuel Ogala

July 13, 2011 12:45AM

President Goodluck Jonathan has called for enhanced remuneration for two key aides – the National Security Adviser and the Chief Economic Adviser – amid increasing tumult over national insecurity and state governments’ failure to pay the N18, 000 minimum wage.

With the NSA, often criticised for the government’s response to unabated bombings in the north, Mr Jonathan said Tuesday both aides be remunerated with a ministerial pay.

Currently, ministers earn about the same salaries with a senator, fixed at N9.118 million per annum. That is besides the huge allowances they draw. Ministers also earn enormous perks other than the salaries, including N35,000 daily duty tour allowance.

In a letter to the two arms of the National Assembly, the president urged the lawmakers to pass a resolution authorising the two officials to receive upgraded pay structure equal to that earned by a minister.

“My request is predicated on the peculiar nature of the functions the holders of these offices perform,” the president wrote.

These officials, among other things, chair committees and bodies whose membership includes serving ministers, in addition to their participating at crucial meetings.

“I am certain that acceding to this request in the manner I solicit, will enhance the capacity of the office holders to operate as tasked, and impact positively on their service delivery,” Mr Jonathan said.

The letter, read to lawmakers by the Speaker, Aminu Tambuwal, was greeted with murmurings from members.

The communication came amid plans by lawmakers to lower their monthly expenses in what Senate Leader, Ndoma-Egba, said was members’ commitment to reducing the cost of governance.

“We have taken the lead by reducing the cost of running the National Assembly and we are hoping that the other arms of government will follow,” Mr Ndoma-Egba said yesterday, while confirming about 40% cut to National Assembly cost.

He, however, said the reduction did not include their personal earnings, but overhead cost.

“My pay has not been cut. My salary has not been cut because our salary is fixed by the revenue mobilisation and fiscal commission. What has been cut is our overhead. Our running cost. What you people refer to as jumbo pay,” he said.

Threats of strike

The president’s letter also came amid heightened tension over planned national strike over refusal of some state authorities to pay the N18, 000 minimum wage, even as university workers have threatened to stop work until welfare agreements reached with the government are met.

On Tuesday, members of the House adopted a motion urging the federal government and the Non-Academic Staff of University (NASU), Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSNU), and the National Association of Technologist (NAA) who are threatening strike, to continue dialogue.

The three unions are protesting non-implementation of agreements on increased allowances and the 65 years retirement age entered with the federal government in 2009.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5730945-146/story.csp
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by EkoIle1: 6:53am On Jul 13, 2011
This Odechukwu go spend us dry, the man has done nothing but spend spend and spend.
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by werepeLeri: 7:00am On Jul 13, 2011
and what is your stoooopid Fashola doing in Lagos? Over bloated contracts and white elephant projects that favours only the rich. Nonsense.

I guess he isn't spending.

You need to exchange your brain with that of an ant. Ants make better and coherent arguments than you.
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by EkoIle1: 7:03am On Jul 13, 2011
What's wrong with this re-tarded troll and why are you following me around like bingo?
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by blacksta(m): 7:08am On Jul 13, 2011
werepeLeri:

and what is your stoooopid Fashola doing in Lagos? Over bloated contracts and white elephant projects that favours only the rich. Nonsense.

I guess he isn't spending.

You need to exchange your brain with that of an ant. Ants make better and coherent arguments than you.

Lol - Hello Sir - Long time

seriously GEj wan spend us dry oooo - Man never achieved anything since last year - ol boy check his stats grin
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by dustydee: 8:27am On Jul 13, 2011
Instead of slashing their salaries they want to increase.
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 13, 2011
I pity the poor in this terrible country. . .common 18k,them no fit pay but they can increase politicians money anytime they wish. cry
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by playmode(m): 9:10am On Jul 13, 2011
I think it is time we seriously start considering dealing with Jonathan.This dude is just doing as he pleases without any regard for the common man.
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by damipaul(m): 9:14am On Jul 13, 2011
He'll soon consider increasing that of his over 50 new ministers. I'll keep praying for him sha, my vote couldn't have been a waste
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by otokx(m): 9:35am On Jul 13, 2011
Are you guys already tired of breathing the fresh air?
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by baslone: 11:47am On Jul 13, 2011
I pray the boko's kidnap the 3 of your after the increment, u go fit know the nation's priorities!
Re: Jonathan Seeks More Money For Two Advisers by luluosas(m): 12:06pm On Jul 13, 2011
El-Rufai is vindicated. Fresh Air!

(1) (Reply)

Africa Needs More Trade Among Countries? / If Jonathan Were Serious: / Police, Vio And Army Beats A Car Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.