Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,568 members, 7,972,137 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 02:28 AM

Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? (18051 Views)

It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls / Devaluation: Naira Now N183 To The Dollar / Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by sley4life(m): 11:26am On Jul 14, 2011
I beta start saving my $$$.Maybe it will be 170 by wknd. But come to think of it why the rise. When they implement the minimum wage it will lead to inflation. It will then lead to more depreciation
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by executinal(m): 11:31am On Jul 14, 2011
Sanusi Weldon sir shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by mallorca(m): 11:32am On Jul 14, 2011
things fall apart cry
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by amarilo: 11:35am On Jul 14, 2011
^^^ Things fall in part
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by mrjingles(m): 11:41am On Jul 14, 2011
chamber2:

You are yet to make any meaningful contribution.What does your A.O Lawal say about the current issue?

We are waiting

Obviously you REALLY need to read O.A Lawal if you don't understand my post.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by Hambolaj01(m): 11:44am On Jul 14, 2011
It is still 158 in Ibadan. Okonjo and Jonathan should sit tight.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by Hambolaj01(m): 11:48am On Jul 14, 2011
Sanusi Weldon sir[/quote

What is the meaning of this?
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 14, 2011
How many of you guyz actually sell or buy dollars. DULLARDS
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by yinkaoke(f): 12:05pm On Jul 14, 2011
Devaluation or no devaluation, our economic problem is still anchored on infrastructural development, a fundamental source of our economic problems whose negative spiral effects are enormous but could bring positive and awesome multiplier effect if resolved and put in place.
Take for instance if our roads, refineries are repaired and our power is stable with utmost security the following among others will emerge:
 For Good road network – flow of internal trade and business, even development of urban areas.
 Functional refineries – refined products importation will be zero or minimal, hence a reduce dollar demand, reduced pump rice and problems of subsidy or no subsidy removal solved. We could even start exporting refined products cum crude oil export meaning more revenue to the country, increase in our reserves, even an increase in FAAC, more money to state government to maintain their states amidst other source of income and a boaster of our naira.
 Stable power supply – influx of foreign investments, investors, more establishments of companies, more employment opportunities for our timing population, presence of more manufacturing companies leading to a decrease in importation, and a nil imported inflation.
All of the above is dependent on the caliber and efficiencies of our newly appointed ministers and advisers of MR President.
Pending the time all of the above would materialize if at all, I honestly think the CBN should go back to RDAS- Retail Dutch action system to address the loop holes in the flow of currency supply
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by pinkrex(m): 12:08pm On Jul 14, 2011
Some people are just talk and type with their, IDK> Anything that glides downwards its Gej fingers will be pointing at. Cant they be a coincidence is some issues in life? because he travelled to the white house and it was published on the News papers, some illiterates are not whining as that being the cause. Some Ote's even said 'why should they buy money with money' . ill just advice some people to stay of topics above their comprehension. Haba!!

BTW, The president appointed some managers to collectively head the Government so  when it comes to money depreciation and appreciations why dont we turn to CBN and seek explanations from the horse's mouth before blaming anybody? If we get explanations from CBN when the fault is linked to Gej visiting the white house then we can accuse and judge. Lets bridle our thoughts and tongue for some better understanding before our so called 'illiterate philosophers' lead us into confusion.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by emenim(m): 12:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
See what is happening !!!!
Well, this should not come to you as a shock. Because in a country where the Government are not putting things in place for the ordinary man to unleash the God given potential in him. Imagine a country where nothing works ( you know things am referring to) and you expect the economy too to pity the citizenry, that is not possible. The Dollar will continue to over-power the Naira in an alarming rate.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by RoadStar: 12:12pm On Jul 14, 2011
Rather than face up to issues such as our monetary and fiscal policies.
External reserve management, credit ratings and credit lines,
Currency evaluation, Interest rates etc

We are busy talking about Islamic Banking, Cash limit, Building Hotels, Selling banks

Even during the recession the Naira was never so low courtesy of Soludo's strong Macro-Economic credentials.

What can I say,

U ALL ASKED FOR IT.
ENJOY AS IT UNFOLDS.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by pinkrex(m): 12:19pm On Jul 14, 2011
yinkaoke:

Devaluation or no devaluation, our economic problem is still anchored on infrastructural development, a fundamental source of our economic problems whose negative spiral effects are enormous but could bring positive and awesome multiplier effect if resolved and put in place.
Take for instance if our roads, refineries are repaired and our power is stable with utmost security the following among others will emerge:
 For Good road network – flow of internal trade and business, even development of urban areas.
 Functional refineries – refined products importation will be zero or minimal, hence a reduce dollar demand, reduced pump rice and problems of subsidy or no subsidy removal solved. We could even start exporting refined products precipitate crude oil export meaning more revenue to the country, increase in our reserves, even an increase in FAAC, more money to state government to maintain their states amidst other source of income and a boaster of our naira.
 Stable power supply – influx of foreign investments, investors, more establishments of companies, more employment opportunities for our timing population, presence of more manufacturing companies leading to a decrease in importation, and a nil imported inflation.
All of the above is dependent on the caliber and efficiencies of our newly appointed ministers and advisers of MR President.
Pending the time all of the above would materialize if at all, I honestly think the CBN should go back to RDAS- Retail Dutch action system to address the loop holes in the flow of currency supply

Bros all these ones are meant
yinkaoke:

 Functional refineries – refined products importation will be zero or minimal, hence a reduce dollar demand, reduced pump rice and problems of subsidy or no subsidy removal solved. We could even start exporting refined products precipitate crude oil export meaning more revenue to the country, increase in our reserves, even an increase in FAAC, more money to state government to maintain their states amidst other source of income and a boaster of our naira.

to
yinkaoke:

b
yinkaoke:

e a
yinkaoke:

Pending the time all of the above would materialize if at all, I honestly think the CBN should go back to RDAS- Retail Dutch action system to address the loop holes in the flow of currency

All these points makes a whole lot of sense but there are meant to be a 'post plan' economy development. Lets look at what is feasible and attainable for now which are:monetary and fiscal policies.
External reserve management, credit ratings and credit lines,
Currency evaluation, Interest rates etc as listed by the other Op.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by MMM2(m): 12:34pm On Jul 14, 2011
Is naira a currency? angry
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by freshera: 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2011
Hahaha, people blaming the US as usual, not unexpected!
So, for you guys having us to believe that the US must be responsible, what do you think the US stand to gain from a fall in Naira?

[size=15pt]OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

THE US IS BROKE, THE UK IS BROKE, EUROPE IS BROKE. WHERE ARE ALL THE PATRIOTIC AND INTELLIGENT PEOPLE IN NIGERIA? orun yabo ki n ma se oro eyin kan
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by ypad: 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2011
the rise in dollar is GEJ fault it's the CBN. One of the duty of CBN is to regulate the currency.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by 3kay945(m): 1:06pm On Jul 14, 2011
nigerians should stop complaining, stay koooool and enjoy ur fresh air promised by the Gej led government.
grin grin grin grin you were all warned some weeks ago but you wont listen. i have braced up since then cry cry cry
i advise you too to do the same thing. save yourselves from heart attack pls cos your children, family foes need you. wink
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
weather you like it or not the Naira is still highly overvalued. what do you even need a strong naira for? to buy more tokunbo scraps and every other thing including the damn kitchen sink? China and Japan have in the past and present consistently been accused by the US for undervaluing their currencies. Why? You need a weak currency to be able to supply PRODUCED goods to the west and the rest of the world. You guys can yap all you like but its only in Nigeria day-to-day business that you can really see the true worthlessnes of our currency.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 14, 2011
dimwits! its summer in europe.

need mo clues ?
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by HonLord: 1:16pm On Jul 14, 2011
Hello guys, I think we need to watch things critically before speaking and concluding. During the time of Prof. Soludo as CBN governor - he intends matching Naira with Dollar but was frustrated by nigerians - headed by the Northerners.  Nothing happened except for the Poor masses to sufer it and our politicians keep enjoying our wealth.

Today, you are telling the world what we are buying $ locally. We buy higher than what it's sold in the international market. As a Nigerian, you have access to the internet on your own, check the exchange rate and know what to say and pass correct information to others. Right now Intr, markest sales at N151057.40 for $1. Not N166 as spreading here. We should not demand $ at high rate when such has come. We so much rely on artificial scarcity in other to make more profit and accuse the government of not doing well.  I am not saying the President is doing well but all the same, we should decide what we want. If not N152 for $1, the Malam should eat his $ and nobody should buy from them. Note: Less demand for $, less value for $. God help us in Jesus name. US,UK,France are all broke and should not be reach by looting our resources in the name of helping Africa. Fraud in the highest places!!!!
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by hbrednic: 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2011
good news
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by owobokiri(m): 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2011
If Sanusi can go after the bank executives why is he not going after these mallams that horde dollars all over the place? Their actions are good for the economy too? Personally i dont care whether a dollar exchanges for 1 million naira. But as somebody who runs a company that sends stuff to Nigeria, I just hope for stability in the system. The last time the thing crashed from 124 to 147 or so, it was rough. You buy a dollar at 155 to make some orders, by the time the consignments gets to Nigeria, the dollar is almost selling at 170 and climbing. How can the business turn a profit? On the other hand, If we want an exchange rate that encourages export, the government should pursue that seriously. Whichever way, the government should stablize the system in a way that businesses can atleast make reasonable predictions as regards their investments.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by gogo13233: 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2011
ebere1712:

The sanusi man should be judged by what we see not what he speaks or laws he implements. All the laws he has implemented so far have and will all have negative impacts. He should have more education and experience before occupying such sensitive position. May be this will help Nigerians see why they should patronize made in Nigeria goods.
you are rite in way, this man gave a directive that all banks in Nigeria can only sale 250k usd per week per bank and a BDC can only deal with one bank. some branches now have just between 5k usd and 20k usd to sale per week, he is enriching his aboki brothers right now.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by scopusng(m): 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2011
No wonder a friend of mine who is a banker yesterday collected up to 15 different international passports from friends around. He said he was going to use those passp to buy dollars from the bank at the official rate pretending that the ppl are traveling abroad. This is just another way of buying dollars at the bank official rate and resell to the black marketers. Anyway, they where all promised 10k Naira each. I dey laugh.
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by 1impact(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2011
it's a pity where this country is going.i pray something is done urgently. sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 14, 2011
ypad:

the rise in dollar is GEJ fault it's the CBN. One of the duty of CBN is to regulate the currency.

sharap!
your countrymen are rushin to spend their hols in europe and the US. its summer dumbster! if u knew the trend of forex fluctuations u wont be posting here.

blame GEJ for keepin ur aboki a s s still part of nigeria
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by sleekier(m): 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
Anyway,God dey!
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by sleekier(m): 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
Anyway,God dey!
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by sleekier(m): 1:39pm On Jul 14, 2011
Anyway,God dey!
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by dramenda(f): 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2011
NO CAURSE FOR CONTROL EVERYTHING IS UNDER ALARM, grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? by pinkrex(m): 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2011
Invisible sharia man in CBN's office grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fire Guts Okobaba Sawmill Market. Lagos State Fire Service saves situation / Naira Slides Further As Demand Outweigh Supply / 15 Tips To Become A GREAT ENTREPRENEUR -winetapper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.