Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

Senate Aspirant Seeks Re-evaluation Of Laws Against Oil Producing Communities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Aspirant Seeks Re-evaluation Of Laws Against Oil Producing Communities (306 Views)

EFCC Seeks Laws Against Unexplained Wealth / Abiodun, Oyetola, Akeredolu Call For The Re-Evaluation Of APC Constitution / Ijaw, Itsekiri Unite Against Oil Companies, 20 Years After Warri War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Aspirant Seeks Re-evaluation Of Laws Against Oil Producing Communities by Browndiary(m): 4:43pm On May 17, 2022
By BASSEY ANTHONY -(The Nation Newspaper), Uyo

An aspirant for Akwa Ibom South(Eket) senatorial district, Dr. Ekong Sampson is seeking a reevaluation of laws which are inimical to the interest of oil-bearing communities in the country.

Speaking with the Nation in Uyo recently, Sampson, a one-time commissioner for environment and petroleum resources, said that the Petroleum Industry Act(PIA) and the Water Resources Bill among other legislations, need to be looked at again.

He said that the PIA, for instance, is fraught with weaknesses, which rather than help to redress the sufferings of oil communities, has worsened them.

Ekong said if voted to the Senate he will lead campaigns against retrogressive legislations which erode the rights of oil communities.

He added that such legislations have also made the international oil companies(IOCs) to shy away from their responsibilities and obligations to their host communities.

His words, "We should not be campaigning on sentiments but on issues on how do we can drive legislations in a way that protects the rights of our people in Eket Senatorial district.

"Let's look at the PIA and form a vanguard against some laws that seem to take away the rights of our people. As a legislator if you sleep, they will pass a law that completely finishes your people.

"We need to make the communities come together to protect their rights and we need to get the big players to be alive to their responsibilities, and we need to firm up our laws. The Petroleum Industry Act needs to be looked at closely.

"Does that law really solve the problems of host communities ? Is it a ready instrument for divide and rule instead of succuor to oil producing communities?

"I want to be in the senate as an active player using the dynamics of law to drive the interest of my people. We need to have profound engagements on some of these legislations".

Sampson maintained that he was in the Senate race for Akwa Ibom South(Eket) district because he is favoured by zoning, capacity and experience.

"I'm running because zoning favors me, experience favors me and capacity favors me too. zoning makes for inclusiveness.

"I was officially presented as the preferred aspirant by my people. I have the experience a good part of me was in law making; lawmaking is a major component of democracy. Nigeria will be a safer place to operate if the operators grasp the rudiments of law making and policies", he said.

Re: Senate Aspirant Seeks Re-evaluation Of Laws Against Oil Producing Communities by iCauseTrouble: 4:44pm On May 17, 2022
I will start treating anybody not supporting Peter Obi presidency as a terrorist

1 Like

Re: Senate Aspirant Seeks Re-evaluation Of Laws Against Oil Producing Communities by triple996(m): 4:52pm On May 17, 2022
This oil sef na wahala

(1) (Reply)

2023 Elections: Osinbajo Is Accessible To Every Nigerian / Breaking: Biafra Referendum, Abuja High Court Adjourned Suit Till October 20 / Obaseki Congratulates Edo PDP Candidates After House Of Assembly, Reps, Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.