Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,971 members, 7,873,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:21 AM

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating (6263 Views)

President Jonathan's Approval Rating Was 60% In November - NOI Polls / Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket / Looks Like Jonathan's Approval Ratings Has Hit The Roof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by strangest(m): 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2011
kITA TITA:

I think he did well handling the Minimum Wage issue. He remained Presidential throughout. Quality of the FEC in core areas of the economy is also good; attracting Ngozi and Prof Nnaji and retaining Labaran Maku, who informs the citizenry about government programs without making a noise about it. He has also done well in foreign policy. Boko Haram; I'll say neither here nor there but that's an extension of the challenging security environment in the country. I will score him low on cost of governance and anti-corruption.
Overall, I think he is not a noisy president and I respect him for that. I didn't vote for him but he has done more than I could ever give him credit for.

very true

Desola:

Were you still in lalaland when you wrote this? Ok, go back to bed, choose a different dream, wake up and come back to contribute truthfully and meaningfully.

I have warned you to STOP smoking cheap we.ed, its just not good for you,
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by maksum: 6:18pm On Jul 23, 2011
To answer these questions we will need to ask ourselves more questions eg. For question 1, How many states have paid so far after 3months. For exorbitant pay package for govt officials you will want to ask ho much has been reduced? Quality of FEC? are the round pegs in the round hole? For Boko Haram can u remeber the reaction of president Bush and his speech after september 9/11 and compare it to GEJ's response? He said terrorism is every where  giving the impression that it is one of those things with a grin on his face for that matter.The answers to these questions definately scores this administration low.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Gbawe: 6:18pm On Jul 23, 2011
Orikinla:

Many people who voted for him are regretting it.

We don't have a democratic government, but a political arrangement of political contractors, political opportunists and their beneficiaries.  .

Gbam. Concerning where we need to go as a nation , as per the brave and selfless sacrifice the [b]right [/b]President must make, Jonathan has failed woefully with his gradualist approach which is just a smokescreen for protecting the "business as usual" interests of those who take pleasure in the deliberate underdevelopment of Nigeria . GEJ is totally the opposite of what Nigeria needs right now. No one should expect things to get better anytime soon because the 'Sharks' can smell blood. The 'Vulture' political system knows that this is an insecure President who is eager to please everyone to the point that he will turn a blind eye to many things which , ordinarily, should be simply unacceptable .
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by kasiem(m): 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2011
Orikinla:

Many people who voted for him are regretting it.

We don't have a democratic government, but a political arrangement of political contractors, political opportunists and their beneficiaries. .

can u list the people that are regretting?
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Bawss1(m): 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2011
I'll rate the president less than average on everything. I'm still waiting for the fresh air.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by deolu2000(m): 7:01pm On Jul 23, 2011
Apparantly he lacks gut,and knowledge in policy making but i think he is saving himself with some good ministers but overal i wil score him 35%.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by jmaine: 7:41pm On Jul 23, 2011
obowunmi:

ZERO on all. He majored in zoology for christ sake --- he knows nothing.

You felt confident typing this, Your statement reeks of naive stvpidity . . .  You are sure one of the hordes who call Mr President clueless . .whereas  you are one of the ultra clueless fellows quick to term others clueless . .    
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by kulutempa: 7:47pm On Jul 23, 2011
In my opinion Goodluck Jonathan is an upgraded version of Yar 'Adua.   He is in good health which helps because at least he attends all the meetings of the FEC.   My problem with him is that he does not realise that to make things change for the better in Nigeria, he needs to implement a programme of reform, and to do this, he needs to think differently and try things that have never  been tried before in Nigeria.    This includes setting performance targets for ministers, and firing those who do not meet those targets.  Other things he needs to start implementing is pushing through radical economic reforms including tax breaks and financial incentives for businesses which contribute to the productivity of our economy, such as manufacturing plants, and agriculture.   The main problem with our economy is that it depends on just one commodity namely crude oil whose price on the world market is beyond our control.  He therefore needs to focus on diversifying our economy away from this dependency, and invest heavily in our infrastructure which would reduce production and transportation costs in Nigeria. At the same time he needs to reduce recurrent expenditure which always leaves us short of money for projects like schools and hospitals.  He also needs to get serious about corruption and fire that lackluster EFCC  Chair    Farida Waziri.    Jonathan at the moment,  does not strike me as the sort of person who  wants to rock the boat, but this is exactly  what needs to be done to get the country moving forward.  My scorecard for him so far is   3 out 10.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by executinal(m): 7:51pm On Jul 23, 2011
strangest:

very true

I have warned you to STOP smoking cheap we.ed, its just not good for you,
[/quote

@bolded loi cheap Ganja grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by nonso84(m): 8:16pm On Jul 23, 2011
Na wah for you guys, i believe the guy is trying to some extent.
But some of the challenges the country is facing are 'bigger' than him or he lacks the audacity to take care of such challenges.
I do not think he needs a 'better' PR cos good product sells itself.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by MOBIL11: 8:31pm On Jul 23, 2011
Nice presido !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by doyin13(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2011
He is beyond useless. Not what we need at all.

Nigeria's situation needs more than a few derisive palliative measures.

We need fundamental change. Open up NNPC and the other federal agencies to serious scrutiny. Curtail legislative pay. Stop peddling watts up and down like Mallam Suya bulb and give electricity. Do as the governors say and hand over more revenues and responsibilities to the states.

And grow some balls and actually employ people that actually know what they are doing.

What we have now is just a lot of faffing around and nothing getting done.

I rate him minus infinity on all counts.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by SSaemoenl(m): 9:29pm On Jul 23, 2011
I give him 0.1%
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Soskid(m): 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2011
The truth is not far fetched. With members of his cabinet, with d way he handle issues. He can not achieve with dis calibre of people around him.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Akshow: 10:15pm On Jul 23, 2011
He is more dan useless. Dias notin 2 rate in a total failure[color=#990000][/color]
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by juman(m): 10:21pm On Jul 23, 2011
Good. Above average. 60 -70%
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by lineviews: 10:23pm On Jul 23, 2011
We should all be mindful of the fact that the expectation from the corridors of power transcends minimum wage, Power, Infrastructures et al. However; they are critical factors that every Nigerian should see as a social responsibility of the Govt to his people.

Our major problem has always been UNITY and that was why it was stressed in our MOTTO as a country; when we have it, then we have PEACE and PROGRESS. We should not forget Zik's advise, they know more then that we know now.

See excerpts from him

“I have one advice to give to our politicians ( NIGERIA). If they have decided to destroy our national unity, then they should summon a round-table conference to decide how our national assets should be divided before they seal their doom by satisfying their lust for office. I make this suggestion because it is better for us and many admirers abroad that we should disintegrate in peace and not in pieces. Should the politicians fail to heed this warning, then I will venture the prediction that the experience of the Democratic Republic of the Congo will be a child’s play if ever it comes to our turn to play such a tragic role.” — Nnamdi Azikiwe, December 1964,

Nigeria is a state and unlike other African Nations, a rich economy with Ideas; Resources; Human Capacity but our problems have always been internal but geographic. It is important that we seek SNC to address our principal problems and seek redress to achieve a better NATION that we should be.

See excerpts from Awo

“Nigeria is not a nation. It is a mere geographical expression. There are no ‘Nigerians’ in the same sense as there are ‘English,’ ‘Welsh,’ or ‘French.’ The word ‘Nigerian’ is merely a distinctive appellation to distinguish those who live within the boundaries of Nigeria and those who do not.” [From Path to Nigerian Freedom by Obafemi Awolowo]
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Actionleap: 10:27pm On Jul 23, 2011
ORIKINLA; I AGREE WITH YOU. NIGERIA IS A COMPLEX COUNTRY NOT BECOS OF THE ORDINARY PEOPLE ON THE STREETS BUT THE BUCCANEERS WHO FIGHT OF THE RESOURCES OF NIGERIA, WHO JUST WANT TO LOOT, RAPE AND PLUNDER WITHOUT CONTRIBUTING ANYTHING. UNTIL THE ORDINARY MAN ON THE  STREET VALUE HIMSELF, NIGERIANS SHOULD PREPARE FOR HARDER TIME. GEJ MUST HAVE PREPARED HIMSELF TO GOVERN NIGERIA BEFORE SEEKING SUCH HIGH AND CHALLENGING OFFICE. IT'S TOO LATE TO PLAN WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF IN THE SEAT OF LEADERSHIP. ALL NIGERIAN PAST & PRESENT PRESIDENT (INCLUDING MOST LG CHAIRMEN, GOVERNOR, SENATOR, MINISTER, ETC) NEVER HAVE AN ACTION PLAN BEFORE JOINING GOVT. IT WILL BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR A PDP GOVT TO ACHIEVE ANY MEANINGFUL IMPACT IN NIGERIA. LET'S ALL BRACE UP FOR CHALLENGES AND ALLOW God HELP US. EVEN IN BUHARI'S PARTY WIN THE PRESIDENCY, MOST HAWKS IN PDP WILL MOVE OVER TO CPC OVERNIGHT. GEJ MAY END UP LIKE SHAGARI; NOBODY REMEMBER HIM BUT MANY SPEAKS WELL OF AWO THAT IS LATE!
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by EvilBrain1(m): 10:34pm On Jul 23, 2011
1. Minimum Wage: Fail. He stuupidly signed the bill into law without making provision to pay the money, considering the states' ability to pay or the possible effects on the economy. A good example of a foolish populist action that may seriously harm Nigeria in the long term. A man who makes such bad decisions just to win an election is not fit to be president.

2. Cost of Running the Government: More fail. The government is now bigger and more expensive than its ever been in Nigeria's history. He's created even more ministries and appointed more useless aides/advisers/assistants, completely ignoring the advice of those who have more sense than him. Clearly, his political needs are more improtant to him than the long-term interests of the nation.

3. Boko Haram: Epic fail. The government's response to this problem seems to be to send the police and army to harrass innocents in Bornu. They have no idea who the Boko Haram ringleaders are. They don't know where they get their esplosives from or who the bomb-makers are. They don't know anything. It took almost 2 years to charge Mohammed Yusuf's killers and we haven't heard anything about the arrestng the dozens of police and army personel who can be clearly seen shooting unarmed, defenseless people on youtube in the aftermath of the first Boko Haram riots. And what's worst is the way Mr. President keeps on demoralizing the nation by making senseless statements at every opportunity. And almost every day, more bombs go off. Its hard to imagine how he could possibly have done worse.

4. Quality of the FEC. Generally poor. A few bright lights, but there are too many known incompetents and people with dubious corruption records. But the biggest problem is not the quality of the ministers, but their number. There are simply too many ministers. There is simply no justification for having over 40 ministers. There is no justification for creating even more ministries on top of the already huge number we had before. Its a shocking waste of our thinly stretched resources. The money used to pay all these useless bureaucrats who add no value to our economy can be better spent building schools or hospitals or roads or railways. Mr. President is fully aware of this, but it seems he doesn't care.

And that is my biggest problem with Jonathan. It seems that everytime he's had to choose between his political interests and the needs of the nation, he always choses politics. That is something all of us should be worried about.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by ummeeluv: 11:02pm On Jul 23, 2011
We are a country governed by inept leadership. GEJ is simply incapable of ruling this country.he lacks the strongwill and capacity to rule us.He is neither determined nor able to do anything. 18,000 is nothing close to wot an average nigerian should earn. There is complete power failure and Boko haram is assuming catastropic dimension
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by dabrake(m): 11:20pm On Jul 23, 2011
I rate him 13%. He scord d 13% in 'motivational speeches' like "i never knew i wil b in this position , . I had no shoes. , . If i could make it, u cn make it."
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by SSaemoenl(m): 11:24pm On Jul 23, 2011
He should return to where he belong ZOO. They declare him MISSING!
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by dinggle: 12:44am On Jul 24, 2011
Failure!
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by dayokanu(m): 12:59am On Jul 24, 2011
Folks,

What is your rating of GEJ on the current issues in the country.

1. Minimum Wage

Has he made provision for all states to pay the minimum wage or what the use of saying it without the means to do it. EPIC FAIL 5%

2. HIgh cost of Running Governemnt at all level of government in Nigeria:

A govt who believes in bribery and settling everything , See the way he ran the campaign 50 independence etc, Ask what has happened to Excess Crude Account despite the fact that we should be buoyant right now

Score 2%

3. Boko Haram

Nigerians should go and pray so that terrorist can come to confess.

Terrorism affect every country in the world so dont panic Disaster. 0%

4. Quality of the FEC.

Jumoke Akinjide?? Hell Yeah 15%
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by darne(m): 1:52am On Jul 24, 2011
F9 Parallel in All Aspect !!!
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by obowunmi(m): 1:54am On Jul 24, 2011
darne:

F9 Parallel in All Aspect !!!
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

smiley smiley smiley
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by samguru(m): 2:01am On Jul 24, 2011
I think Gej should still be governing at STATE level cos he lacks the wherewithal to govern at federal cos he is operating in an environment where godfatherism is the strongest force against his good plans.
As for me,my ratings go thus
power 27%
employment generation 0%
education 10%
foreign investment 10%
security 0%
infrastructure 10%
agriculture 10%
environmental mgt 30%
science and technology 15%
foreign affairs 90%
aviation 60%
oil and gas 30%
transportation 5%
solid minerals 0%
youth and social devt 0%
works 40%
health 35%
economy 5%
national planing 80%
i will stop here for now,but i stand be challenged on parameters i used to derive my ratings.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by PXtB(m): 5:25am On Jul 24, 2011
The word 'Clueless' sprang up from the pit of hell immediately after the April elections. Those that did not like the emergence of GEJ as President invented it and in a space of three months, the propaganda has spread like wild fire; kudos to them. As far as my memory could take me, 'Clueless' was not commonly used to describe the president before the elections; many Nigerians have suddenly lost their sense of objectivity because of their selfish interests-it's really unfortunate. I remember, even before swearing-in, people were already rating GEJ in every aspects as if he would transform the hitherto destroyed country in a twinkling of an eye. This is synonymous with a lecturer scoring the students at the beginning of the semester; why don't we rate him after two years at least.
Nigeria has been systematically damaged by ALL former rulers and expecting GEJ to fix all 51-year old Nigerian problems in a space of three months is rather unfair. Some people here have never been in the least leadership position (Course reps, nuclear family, students union, town association etc) and all they do is condemn. Some people on this forum studied engineering (albeit, not all are practising) and they also join the 'masses' to expect a 'miracle' in the power sector within three months. For those that care to listen, transforming the power sector will not be spontaneous; I mean, it's not as easy as buying 'I-pass-my-neighbour' from Oshodi. A lot of engineering, re-engineering, construction and re-construction would be required and it takes years. A lot of the power generation and distribution equipment have been lying idle for years and restoring them to active life again can be more difficult than waking up a dead man. Besides, some of the original equipment manufacturers have either gone out of business or no longer manufacture such equipment, making it difficult to even think of repairing them; hence, a complete change-out is the way out. Now before you even think of procuring any equipment of such or even lower magnitude, you carry out the front-end engineering design at which stage you specify the equipment to the manufacturer. Again, like I said earlier, procuring power supply equipment is not as easy as buying 'I-pass-my-neighbour' from the market. Some of the equipment are not on the shelf for you to come and pick; you have specify what you want to the manufacturer to suit your purpose. After the front-end engineering stage, especially in the case of big power plants, we have the detailed engineering stage, before construction.
I've used the power sector as an illustration that Nigerian problems are deep and cannot be solved in three months as we expect. The greatest problem Nigeria has, which is the bane of our development, is corruption. As an illustration, the education sector is so bad that in secondary schools, teachers mandate students to pay exam malpractice fees as a sine qua non for writing an exam. So, hard work is no longer encouraged and the same children will grow up knowing that there's nothing wrong with cheating. Similar category of people are every where in government as politicians and public/civil servants.
My people, if there is any body that needs fast changes in Nigeria, I'm number 1; however such changes will not take place overnight especially in a decayed system like we have in Nigeria. I'm more positive than pessimistic though. Solving Nigeria's problem is everybody's responsibility and it starts from the mind. Revolution will probably be the escape route but who'll take the lead.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by darne(m): 6:44am On Jul 24, 2011
samguru:

I think Gej should still be governing at STATE level cos he lacks the wherewithal to govern at federal cos he is operating in an environment where godfatherism is the strongest force against his good plans.
As for me,my ratings go thus
power 27%
employment generation 0%
education 10%
foreign investment 10%
security 0%
infrastructure 10%
agriculture 10%
environmental mgt 30%
science and technology 15%
foreign affairs 90%
aviation 60%
oil and gas 30%
transportation 5%
solid minerals 0%
youth and social devt 0%
works 40%
health 35%
economy 5%
national planing 80%
i will stop here for now,but i stand be challenged on parameters i used to derive my ratings.

Haba Oga Ur Lie Lie Too Much,, 80%90%0% shocked shocked Who asked you undecided undecided U dey try For math i can see that,, But We Need A Single Figure That Would Show All Those Rubbish You Analysed Mtcheeeeeww angry angry
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Kinikini: 7:01am On Jul 24, 2011
I will like to provide an insight.

There seem to be many more Nigerians from across the lenght of the Country that are frustrated by GEJ. Not that Nigerians expect GEJ to provide power, infrastructre and resolve all the country's problems in even four years, but Nigerians want to see workable plan to solving the problems over time even if it extends beyond GEJ.
Government needs to approach issues from a different and strategic point. For instance, the number of aids, ministers, commissioners, paliamentarians and civil servants urgently needs reduction by nothing less than 60% to free funds to facilitate economic growth.
Government needs to genuinely fight corruption. Reform the judiciary and not keep corrupt judges to deliver favourable rulings to the presidency. In fact all across the country the Judiciary should be financially independent of the executive just as the process that appoints judges should be.
If the plan or no plan so far displayed by GEJ is a basis for reviewing the government right now, no progress should be expected from his government even in 50 years.
Meanwhile, GEJ should shed the excess fat of AGIPS. Why would kerosene, diesel and other be readily available to the masses when GEJ AGIPs are feeding fat on it. Same with Cement and other public utilities including power. AGIPs are feeding fat on generator importation and sale.
The President should decide honestly which side of the fence he wishes to be counted. Masses or the buccaneers AGIPs.

Please correct me.
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by member479760: 7:19am On Jul 24, 2011
Where are those guys on bankroll to write on Nairaland? hope d tin still flowing!
Re: President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating by Mcleo007(m): 8:24am On Jul 24, 2011
Dude is not bad actually. He can do better anyway. Me believe the most thing every Nigerian wish for, is regular power supply. With this in place, every other facet of the economy will have a strong kick.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Remi Tinubu Urges Nigerians To Focus On Creating A Better Nation / LAWMA To Complete Rehabilitation Of Lamdfills In Days / Obiano And Wife Chased Out Of Market By Traders Chanting Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.