Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,392 members, 7,932,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 02:24 AM

Why Is Ogun The Gateway State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Ogun The Gateway State (7290 Views)

Presidential Election Results In Ogun - The Nation / Is Ogun State Becoming The Kidnap Capital Of The South West? / Is Ogun State Jinxed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Desola(f): 7:45am On Jul 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I heard that they Yorubas in Benin are the legit (whatever that means) Yorubas because they've been there for ages. Is that true?

Where's Port Novo?

NWM, Just checked online. So you're from Benin? That is soooooooooooo awesome!!

I would never have guessed.

Ileke,

You sef dey fall my hand o. After all these time you don't know when I'm being tongue in cheek?

No, I'm not from Benin. I'm from Lagos Island! Isale Eko aromisa legbe-legbe. Omo Eko wenjele!
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by aljharem(m): 7:47am On Jul 26, 2011
Desola:

Ileke,

You sef dey fall my hand o. After all these time you don't know when I'm being tongue in cheek?

No, I'm not from Benin. I'm from Lagos Island! Isale Eko aromisa legbe-legbe. Omo Eko wenjele!

so we are from the same place ehh desola and you do not want me and you to colabo. You dey fall my hand too desola. I am highly disappointed in you.

If you parents know that you did not give me kpomo what do you think they would do to you
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by coolcash4l(m): 8:03am On Jul 26, 2011
alj harem:

but lagos is the country

london is england

new york is america

countou (another yorubas speaking city) is benin wink wink wink

etc

Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Baawaa(m): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2011
Ogun State,was giving the name when Lagos State was still the Federal Territory Capital.Look at it critically,from Lagos to other states,you will pass through Ogun State.And from other States to Lagos State you will pass through Ogun state.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Afam4eva(m): 9:00am On Jul 26, 2011
@Bawaa
You have a point there. But what happens now that lagos is no longer the capital.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by AmeLonRo(m): 9:16am On Jul 26, 2011
This is a good topic indeed ad we need to face the topic to move ahead. Ekiti state recently changed their state 'slogan'. Bad mouthing ' winkthe state of harmony' and the 'confluence state' is not a good thing at all. We have very credible minds there you know!
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Gbenge77(m): 9:20am On Jul 26, 2011
Because she has produced many "firsts" in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by chino11(m): 9:35am On Jul 26, 2011
Ogon is a rural state, like every other state in yorubaland grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by loverboy4(m): 9:40am On Jul 26, 2011
Ogun is Gateway because you have to pass through(by land) to get to lagos from anywhere in Nigeria. Lagos being the largest commercial centre in Nigeria attracts people from diifferent part of the country. Copy?
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by aldotun(m): 9:47am On Jul 26, 2011
Ogun is called Gateway State, because when the Europeans came into Nigeria, every Territory fought with them, and the first settlement without issues was Ogun State, they were independent long before Nigeria, so because of this, they were refered to as the Gateway to the Nation.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Akanbiedu(m): 9:56am On Jul 26, 2011
I don't think its about roads.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Finecat(m): 10:55am On Jul 26, 2011
Because they always "get away" with looting the treasury, look at Obasanjo, Gbenga Daniels, Bankole (Thick Lips) etc.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by pynkspyce: 12:07pm On Jul 26, 2011
It probably sounded good at the time. Maybe "gateway to the grave by road" like some other poster said.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by alexola20(m): 12:39pm On Jul 26, 2011
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by lincoln123: 1:02pm On Jul 26, 2011
Many thanks to all that believed Ogun is s Gateway State. Kudos
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by byoolaleye(m): 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2011
Maybe they should have change it anyway, but it was a way in and exit to lagos when Lagos was still the capital of the country, You have to go through lagos when u going or coming to any part of the country.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by seanet02: 3:57pm On Jul 26, 2011
aldotun:

Ogun is called Gateway State, because when the Europeans came into Nigeria, every Territory fought with them, and the first settlement without issues was Ogun State, they were independent long before Nigeria, so because of this, they were refered to as the Gateway to the Nation.
No, It was Only My people who fought Britons to a standstill and they are the Egbas, ijebu may pledge sovereignty to Egbas sao if they want to take that Glory too
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by Sholaf(f): 5:31pm On Jul 26, 2011
Desola:

Ileke,

Ileke-IdI:

I heard that they Yorubas in Benin are the legit (whatever that means) Yorubas because they've been there for ages. Is that true?

Where's Port Novo?

NWM, Just checked online. So you're from Benin? That is soooooooooooo awesome!!

I would never have guessed.

@ Ileke,

Porto Novo Is the Capital of Benin Republique, less than 25 minutes drive to Badagry Seme Border.
The Yorubas in Benin are called Ajase ( Ajacheh ) My dad's grand ma came to Lagos from Porto Novo.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by olawalebabs(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2011
I love that ajache
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by MadDog1(m): 7:11pm On Jul 26, 2011
pynkspyce:

It probably sounded good at the time. Maybe "gateway to the grave by road" like some other poster said.
exactly! i doubt if there is any road which has taken so many life than that ogun exp. way
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by CrazyChica: 8:25pm On Jul 26, 2011
Mad Dog!!!:

exactly! i doubt if there is any road which has taken so many life than that ogun exp. way

true or maybe they meant gateAWAY for pple like obj to steal money and go unscathed
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by rahouf1: 11:54am On Jul 27, 2011
i think yoruba are the wisess human being in nigeria so far.the truth its just that we refused to love ourselves

nigeria will be name after yoruba soonest cuz yorubas are 2much.
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by rahouf1: 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2011
[quote][/quote]Because they always "get away" with looting the treasury, look at Obasanjo, Gbenga Daniels, Bankole (Thick Lips) etc.

what about IBB,ABACHA and the eastern politician too,every nigerian is a thief OK
if you are to be in public position for a day, please what are your plans?
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by CrazyChica: 3:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
rahouf1:

i think yoruba are the wisess human being in nigeria so far.the truth its just that we refused to love ourselves

nigeria will be name after yoruba soonest cuz yorubas are 2much.

*running away and sighing deeply* we really do not want another segregationist/ tribalistic fella on NL jare
what does the above quote have to do with the topic, kmt jare
Re: Why Is Ogun The Gateway State by olawalebabs(m): 4:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
CrazyChica:

*running away and sighing deeply* we really do not want another segregationist/ tribalistic fella on NL jare
what does the above quote have to do with the topic, kmt jare

thanks for calling his attention to it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ojukwu's Brother And Son Fights For His Ikoyi Property / Happy Birthday To Muhammadu Buhari / Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.