Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,054 members, 7,949,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. (4576 Views)

Jonathan Replies Obasanjo, Says letter Is Self-Serving, Provocative / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN / My Proposed 7 Year Single Tenure Was Misunderstood – GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 28, 2011
Gbawe:

Usbcable has noted the same thing also. OAMJ and Jarus can you guys look into this? Rather ridiculous if you ask me. How is it possible to err so badly ? I hope deliberate mischief is not at work here .
This is beyond them as only Seun and the supermod has power to put a topic on the homepage

I hope so too
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by sheriffman(m): 10:21am On Jul 28, 2011
Moderator pls change the title of this thread its misleading and its already on twitter with the error pls do something
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 28, 2011
Blakjewelry:

well, i think the bill has some merits but timing is too early. Let him focus on other pressing matters first. Because if you come to think of it most govt spending first 1 and half year settling down and learning to govern.
Then they spent their last year running for re-election so, i think a single tenure is not bad in a way
The bill has no merits whatsoever,given the porousity of leadership by the politcal elite.
This bill will only make sense in a functional democracy,unlike the dysfunctional one we practise where money is the square root of all intentions.
Again,this idea that most governors spend like 18 months to settle down is bull-crap to me.Did you spend that long at your job to learn the rudiments?
The political class are insincere,otherwise why should it take a year plus to settle down and work and provide the dividends to the people who gave you their mandate?
If you give nigerian politicians a 40-year single tenure,they will spend 39 "learning the job" and the last year asking for tenure elongation.
You cannot put the cart before the horse.If you didn't perform when you had two terms of eight years,how then will the same politician perform in a single tenure of 6 years (as proposed) which is considerably less than the previous scenario?
Like Gbawe said,when the political class decide to serve,this topic of elongation will go away.Until you get real leaders,this debate will continue.The next president after GEJ might come in with his own tenure elongation bill for 10 years,and where does that leave us?
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 10:24am On Jul 28, 2011
toba:

This is beyond them as only Seun and the supermod has power to put a topic on the homepage

I hope so too

I did not know that. I won't accuse anyone prematurely but I must say strange things happen on Nairaland. I remember trying to post a thread about the shady dealings of Allison-Madueke as exposed by Saharareporters recently and just before she was to be confirmed as a Minister. Not only could I not post the topic, even as I kept to the rules fastiduously , but I was actually banned for a few days till after she was confirmed as Minister !!!! Now it is revealed again by Saharareporters that Allison-Madueke is required to 'raise' the massive funds that will be required for GEJ's tenure extension. The whole thing was distasteful and appeared a conspiracy by the owners of Nairaland to support GEJ's mission in ensuring that nothing derailed the confirmation of Allison-Madueke.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by 2tek: 10:37am On Jul 28, 2011
anyone proposing a single tenure 4 nigerian politicians does not mean well 4 nigerians.hv u forgotting dat it was d fear of 2nd term dat made ohakim 2 create 10,000 jobs 4 imo youths(though scrapped).do u think akala would hv agreed 2 pay #18,000 minimum wage without second term.d fear of second term by our politicians wl make them want 2 deliver in their 1st tenure.do u know dat d political career of any polician booted out of office in 2nd term sruggle wl b in jeopardy?pls lets roundly condemn dis mess. 4yrs is enough 4 any serious politician 2 deliver.which project do they want 2 execute dat wl take dem 6yrs 2 mornitor.is it paying workers salaries,construction of roads or providing basic amenities? d single tenure wl make dem lazy,loot more money nd hv more time 2 frolick round d world.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by russellino: 10:39am On Jul 28, 2011
Blakjewelry:

well, i think the bill has some merits but timing is too early. Let him focus on other pressing matters first. Because if you come to think of it most govt spending first 1 and half year settling down and learning to govern.
Then they spent their last year running for re-election so, i think a single tenure is not bad in a way

The bill may some have merits but the psyche of the average ''chop money or die trying'' naija politician is not ready for that sort of thing. You will have people sitting down for six years working without pressure to perform. Once you remove the carrot of re-election it will be hard to guarantee performance
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 10:44am On Jul 28, 2011
russellino:

What is wrong with GEJ? abeg what is the rationale behind a constitutional amendment over something that is infinitely useless. solve boo haram and pressing issues stranglingn the country instead faffing around the place. the man dey vex me.

Sense of priorities - 0%, Proactive approach to duty - 0%, fiscal discipline - 0%. We don suffer

i dont like tinubu but I thank God for the opposition that the ACN represents.

100% correct !!!!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by wesley80(m): 10:45am On Jul 28, 2011
StarBoard:

On the first paragraph,I don't agree with you. . .
Nigerian politiciansare lazy.That point seems to justify why leaders cannot deliver within a single four-year tem.There is no reason why an elected officer cannot hit the ground running from day one if he claims to have had a manifesto/roadmap as to how to administer his entity.I find that claim rather absurd.
While it may be true because that is what essentially happens in 95% of all cases,it is not an excuse for tenure elongation.

Pls lets be reasonable. There's a learning curve everyone has got to pass through therefor regardless of whether or not u've been leading aliens in the moon or how well thought out your plans are, you've got to overcome the learning process to be of any use and this is more so in a society like ours where the rules depend on the player. Now most agree that that curve takes the better part of 2years and by the third year elections are already in the horizon, so what's your solution?
Lets rise above our collective cynicism and objectively weigh the merits and demerits of the bill before throwing it aside.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Johnpaul2k2(m): 10:47am On Jul 28, 2011
I LAUGH IN Single-tenure Proposal grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by mabella123(f): 10:47am On Jul 28, 2011
there's nothing wrong with that motion abegi
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 10:54am On Jul 28, 2011
Well said CNPP and Mr. Okechukwu. I dey laff at the "food is ready politicians" tag grin grin grin

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/opposition-parties-denounce-jonathans-tenure-elongation-plot

Opposition Parties Denounce Jonathan's Tenure Elongation Plot
Posted: July 27, 2011 - 11:06
By Saharareporters, New York

Nigeria's opposition parties have urged the country's pro-democracy elements, and indeed all Nigerians, to reject President Goodluck Jonathan's proposal for a single six-year tenure for the president and governors.

In a statement this morning, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties, an umbrella body for opposition parties, said the proposal was a veiled plot by Jonathan to elongate his tenure and perpetuate himself in office.

The statement, signed by the group's spokesperson, Osita Okechukwu, said the proposed constitutional amendment bill "to elongate the tenure of the office of the president and governors is not only in bad faith, inconsequential, diversionary; but has also exposed the perfidy of the Jonathan regime."

Describing the president's proposal as reckless, the CNPP wondered why Jonathan was pre-occupying himself with a selfish constitutional amendment when he was yet to fulfil any of his electoral promises to Nigerians.

It argued that if the president were sincere about deepening democracy in Nigeria, he would have pushed for the enthronement of a genuine federalism in the country rather than trying to perpetuate himself in office.

Mr. Okechukwu said, "It is highly regrettable and a pity that President Jonathan rather than submitting an Executive Bill to alter the Constitution from Unitary System of government to True Federalism; a centre which is too heavy, indolent and corrupt; is submitting a Bill on tenure elongation aimed at self glorification.

"If President Jonathan is truly committed to free and fair election he could have submitted an Executive Bill which will incorporate the core recommendations of the Uwais Electoral Reform Committee Report in the Constitution; rather a tepid attempt to extend his tenure."

Read full statement below.

CNPP: NO TO TENURE ELONGATION
Conference of Nigerian Political Parties {CNPP} joins the league of Nigerian patriotic democrats to condemn in no uncertain terms the reckless move by President Goodluck Jonathan and his Food is Ready politicians to not only divert the attention of Nigerians from the looting going on in the land under his watch, railroad Nigerians into forum shopping; but to elongate his tenure through the back door.

Otherwise, we cannot remember when President Jonathan canvassed tenure elongation during his presidential campaign and cannot locate how the extension of tenure will improve the welfare or security of Nigerians who today are groaning under the yoke of functioning anarchy, which is sliding dangerously into a failed state.

It is highly regrettable and a pity that President Jonathan rather than submitting an Executive Bill to alter the Constitution from Unitary System of government to True Federalism; a centre which is too heavy, indolent and corrupt; is submitting a Bill on tenure elongation aimed at self glorification.

If President Jonathan is truly committed to free and fair election he could have submitted an Executive Bill which will incorporate the core recommendations of the Uwais Electoral Reform Committee Report in the Constitution; rather a tepid attempt to extend his tenure.

The Bill to elongate the tenure of the office of the president and governors from all indication is not only in bad faith, inconsequential, diversionary; but has exposed the perfidy of the Jonathan regime.

Finally, CNPP is of the candid view that 7 -10 years tenure cannot prevent Food is Ready politicians from Do-or-Die political culture, rigging the elections and foisting surrogates on the electorate; unless the Constitution is amended to allow for the core recommendations of the Uwais Electoral Reform Committee.

Osita Okechukwu

National Publicity Secretary

CNPP
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by wesley80(m): 11:06am On Jul 28, 2011
Gbawe:

I did not know that. I won't accuse anyone prematurely but I must say strange things happen on Nairaland. I remember trying to post a thread about the shady dealings of Allison-Madueke as exposed by Saharareporters recently and just before she was to be confirmed as a Minister. Not only could I not post the topic, even as I kept to the rules fastiduously , but I was actually banned for a few days till after she was confirmed as Minister !!!! Now it is revealed again by Saharareporters that Allison-Madueke is required to 'raise' the massive funds that will be required for GEJ's tenure extension. The whole thing was distasteful and appeared a conspiracy by the owners of Nairaland to support GEJ's mission in ensuring that nothing derailed the confirmation of Allison-Madueke.

Just the onset of Paranoia, i'm sure its nothing too serious at least for now. Watch it though.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by usbcable(m): 11:18am On Jul 28, 2011
make him move motion that the Imunity clause be removed and also state governors should implement the FOI bill.

then no probs with one term 6 year bid.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Hambolaj01(m): 11:26am On Jul 28, 2011
mabella123:

there's nothing wrong with that motion abegi

Because you don't understand Nigerian politics.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 28, 2011
I've always said it that the government is behind all the violence and bombings so as to creat fear and achieve their agendas. Now one it slowly coming out but sadly at a wrong time, the people are not as scared as they would have hoped or liked us to be. Read about "false flag" and you'll understand
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Reference(m): 11:49am On Jul 28, 2011
This debate seems fairly neutral to me. There are pros and cons all weighing reasonably equally. It is up to us to decide whether it distracts him from governance and meeting his electoral obligations by fanning the flames or not. We can hold him accountable on all issues equitably. When they cry wolf simply keep the focus and don't come running blowing steam on every matter.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbawe: 12:01pm On Jul 28, 2011
wesley80:

Just the onset of Paranoia, i'm sure its nothing too serious at least for now. Watch it though.

You always have to act the fool as usual. Do you never take a break? Is it today Nigerian politicians have been using 'sweeteners' to get the assistance of popular media outlets that enables them to  launch propaganda while drowning out opposition voices ? Look at the perfect example - Reuben Abati today !!!!

Coupled with the ridiculous pro-GEJ leaning of the owner of Nairaland , what is paranoid about the the notion that the GEJ Government is been aided covertly by Nairaland? That is why we call folks like you bad students of history. You never learn anything from the past when real events should have taught you a lesson or two. This is why it is no surprise you can be an unrepentant apologist of a man with a mediocre history as a politician. All the historical evidence we have of Nigerian leaders cracking down on opposition voices , to include what we saw recently under Yar Adua , must be a figment of my "paranoid" imagination. Abeg go away with your nonsense.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by BigMeat2: 12:10pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mr President is just another time waster with no specific or concrete agenda for the country.

As noted, there are more urgent things that needs to be done.

This is a diversion from the Jonathan.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 28, 2011
wesley80:

Pls lets be reasonable. There's a learning curve everyone has got to pass through therefor regardless of whether or not u've been leading aliens in the moon or how well thought out your plans are, you've got to overcome the learning process to be of any use and this is more so in a society like ours where the rules depend on the player. Now most agree that that curve takes the better part of 2years and by the third year elections are already in the horizon, so what's your solution?
Lets rise above our collective cynicism and objectively weigh the merits and demerits of the bill before throwing it aside.
What learning curve?Please let's not get there,abeg.
Why are you an administrator if it will take you two years to get the basics of governance?We voted someone into power to deliver,not to learn.That concept of "learning" has been adopted as a lifestyle among politicians and used as an excuse for non-performance.
Let's take a real-life scenario.
A Governor get's "elected",and spends 2 years learning the job.Year three comes up,and he has no tangible thing to show after three years.He spends year four campaigning for re-election and wins through power of incumbency.The next four years sees nothing done.And
Another man comes in and the cycle repeats itself,because he is "new"to the system and has to "learn".
in the end,nothing gets done because politicians are telling us they are "learning" and the country remains underdeveloped,because politicians are still "learning".
If you didn't have a master plan on how you wanted to govern,you would come with this flimsy excuse of learning the job.Our politicians are just interested in the money and have no real interest in doing something for the people,which is why i find it hard to believe this "learning curve" blazay that is being thrown around.
Solution?
Stop monetising politics.Remove financial inducement from governance.DE-emphasize the benefits of leadership and make people know that leadership is a sacrifice,instead of a means to eat money.When folks leave office poorer than when they enter it,a lot less greedy people will be interested.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by amarilo: 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2011
Its like once we enter into any political office we lose our sense of reasoning. Believe me GEJ will criticize this move if he is still a uni teacher today but here we have him thinking like a military man. Even if he will not benefit from this constitutional amendment its still silly to think in that direction.

What he is indirectly telling us is that he cannot perform/achieve anything in 4 yrs. If he is aware of that why did he contest the presidential election.

I think he want to quicken the break up of Nigeria by this constitutional amendment and his silence over Boko Harem.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 28, 2011
amarilo:

I think he want to quicken the break up of Nigeria by this constitutional amendment and his silence over Boko Harem.

if thats the case then all this is a welcomed developement. hope it happens asap
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Mortiple(m): 12:29pm On Jul 28, 2011
Goodluck Jonathan has goofed!  I feel raped and disgraced by this latest move.  Opposition parties SHOULD FORGIVE ME FOR VOTING FOR THIS MAN!  

This was a man who employed all subtleness to get people's mandate.  Barely two months in office, he is not concerned about the sinking ship called Nigeria of which he is the Captain, rather he is pursuing six-year single term in office, which is an effort in futility.  Thank goodness, NASS (especially the House of Rep) won't assent to it. The Tanbuwals and Ihediohas of the Assembly must rise up to the occasion for the interest of peace and unity of this country.  Also, our Elder Statesmen, Spiritual Leaders, Traditional Leaders, Political Activists, Opinion Leaders, etc (I mean those that have not sold their conscience) should condemn it in strong terms publicly.

I am not afraid though, the bill will failed just as Baba Iyabo's third term agenda did. By the way, four years are not too short for someone to make an impact in office. If only he channels the same amount of energy he used during electioneering campaign and the one he is reserving for this nonsensical mission, Nigerians will better of.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Hoodrat(m): 1:15pm On Jul 28, 2011
Our leaders do everything with only word of mouth. What it said is been done already. Stable electricity already been done fresh air is blowing faster than Owu, all Nigerians celebrating over the good economic that Badluck Jonathan has brought. Take a look at how beautiful Nigeria is today and look at Nigerians in diaspora rushing to catch a plane home to enjoy the wonderful bomb and killing boko haram has to offer plus a solid economic and perfect life GEJ has brought. We should Congratulate jonathan for a job welldone for turning nigeria to a new somalia.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Kobojunkie: 1:25pm On Jul 28, 2011

Most of the criticisms this bill has faced arise from the fact that it is seen as a tenure elongation bill, but what if its not? The other is about the timing which i think could have been better but well, its here now so lets deal with it. Most observers agree that 4years is too short a time for effective governance so why cant we do something about it? What is wrong with reducing an inevitable 4yr circle of violence by 2years and reducing the need for an expensive electoral process like we have?

Most Observers?? 4 Years is too short for effective governance?? In Nigeria? How did we come up with that claim? What INFORMATION do we have, at least from the last 12 years to support such a notion?? Obasanjo's government where even 8 years was not enough for the man to clearly make serious and lasting changes, not because time was not available but because the man himself had little to offer? Yar adua's Government -- the same that paralyzed the nation for 3 years(don't see how his having more time would have made things any better)?? Jonathan government --- it's already been 15 months since he has been sitting as president, I don't see how giving him more time would make him any better of a leader.

Where is the evidence for this??

There's the talk about having the likes of Ohakim and Akala in power for 6yrs - well, that wld be up to us wont it? but if we've got real fears then we should be calling for the removal of the immunity clause for all beneficiaries instead of throwing out the bill without consideration.
The bill may not be perfect as it is but it can be tinkered to become better and I expect a good opposition party to weigh the pros and cons b4 coming out with constructive criticisms instead of echoing the voices of the uninformed in the name of being an opposition party. We deserve better - Yes, even from an opposition party!

I really am curious about the so-called benefits of this bill. How exactly do you think this bill can be made better . . . Where are the pros and cons . . . I would really love to debate that instead of lambasting others for being for or against it.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Kobojunkie: 1:31pm On Jul 28, 2011

Learning curve? The guy had 12 years prior to this to LEARN at least 50% of what it means to be a leader?? What Learning curve?? Correct me if I am wrong but part of the reason why he was elected was because he claimed he had experience  in government, and had a long list of accomplishments to show for it(if you doubt it, watch the campaign videos and interviews again), so what learning curve are you trying to imply here? His major advantage over the other candidates on the ballots was that he was the sitting president, so what learning curve do you need to give a sitting president?

Most agree that that curve takes the better part of 2 years and by the third elections are already in the horizon? Who are these 'most'? 

College Students are evaluated from their very first year in school . . ,  they don't get excused for the bad grades they get in their first, second and even third years, if at all.  Their final GPA is a cumulative of all the grades accumulated during their 4 years/not last 2 or 1 in college.  Why the excuses for a man who informed us during the campaign that he had what it takes -- not that he would need to learn it . . . to get the job done in the time he has?

In my opinion, what we need is shorter 2-year terms so we can get rid of the non-performing politicians soonest ---- what we need are people who are ready from day one to get to work. Not people who are dull in the head and need for us to put our lives on hold so they can, in their time, learn what it is they were hired to do.
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by aribisala0(m): 1:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't think the idea of 6 year terms is a bad one. But I think that GEJ should be unable to benefit from it. Let the law kick in in 2017, or something.
maybe it is not but why is that the most important thing to Goodluck Jonathan right now.

his first bill concerns an issue not in his party or campaign manifesto.

normally in a true democracy there would've been some public debate that gives this issue impetus and prominence now.

i believe if he was sincere he could have waited till his final days and so we must query his motives.

after 3 months he comes up with this

a drunken fisherman indeed!
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by aribisala0(m): 1:58pm On Jul 28, 2011
wesley80:

Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by DAY12(m): 2:19pm On Jul 28, 2011
This FRESH AIR dey totori my body oooo grin
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by aribisala0(m): 2:21pm On Jul 28, 2011
wesley80:

i doubt very much that you have much work experience or have held positions of serious authority . a few positions of leadership of interest ;
chiefs of army staff
commander of specific military operations e.g darfur,afghanistan ,iran,
pretty much all military commands

many if not all CEOs of multinational  companies  in oversea locations
football  managers
many heads of state

all get their  jobs done in 4 years or less.
quite often after one or two years it is clear the person is a dunce and it's good you can get rid quickly not endure another 4.
our real problem on this issue is the poor quality and politicization of civil  servants and most government workers who should be able to run a country in the event of emergency political shutdown .
we need a professional civil service that is genuinely independent to resolve transitional issues .
still, everything  a head of state does prior to reaching office  should be a preparation. when you get there based on luck there will be problems
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by aribisala0(m): 2:22pm On Jul 28, 2011
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by otokx(m): 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2011
breath of fresh air
Re: Jonathan's Single-tenure Proposal Fraudulent, Self-serving . ACN. by Gbenge77(m): 2:33pm On Jul 28, 2011
Frankly,GEJ does not come across as an inspirational leader.He appears to be running the country higgledy-piggledy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PHOTO of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (CBN) Governors Wife / 2015 Presidential Election Result: An Objective View / Lawmakers Insane And Immoral Allowances! Time To Act. Sign The Petition!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.