Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,738 members, 7,889,369 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 10:40 AM

Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner (21809 Views)

Top Ten Poorest State In Nigeria (2015) / The Poorest State In Nigeria / Bayelsa State Is The Richest State, Oyo state Is The Poorest State In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2011
This also reflects on the fact that the SW is the poorest region in the south.
They may have a few rich men but poverty is so widespread and palpable
This is unlike the SE where wealth is more evenly spread.
Ekiti can make money from selling hard drugs; after all they grow it like people grow flowering plants in sane societies
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 5:31pm On Jul 29, 2011
Source: Nairaland

Our pact with poverty
By Robert Obioha
obioha@sunnewsonline.com
Those who think that things are working in the country should better think twice with the recent Nigeria’s poverty figures released by both the National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The Senior Special Assistant to the President and National Coordinator of NAPEP, Dr. Magnus Kpakol, had at a public lecture on “Poverty Solution: The Role of Government in Poverty Eradication,” held in Minna, Niger State, a fortnight ago, disclosed that 70 million Nigerians, about half of the nation’s population, are poor.
That means that one out of every two Nigerians live in poverty. And judging by the global benchmark on poverty index, it shows that about 70 million Nigerians live below poverty line at one US dollar per day. According to the NAPEP boss, 70 million Nigerians now live below N65 a day. The situation might be bleaker if the overall poverty picture can be statistically captured considering our poor statistical culture.
The source of Kpakol’s figure is a recent study by the National Bureau of Statistics. Though this writer does not intend to doubt the figure dished out by Kpakol, it is instructive to point out that the recent poverty figures released by the UNDP show that the poor in Nigeria is 70.8 percent of the population, which is far above the national poverty figure as presented by NAPEP.
All the same, the fact still remains that the number of the poor in Nigeria is rather on the high side irrespective of the huge differences in the two varying statistical figures. Both serve as a veritable reminder that the nation is already having a pact with poverty in spite of all efforts to eradicate it.
It is interesting to note that poverty in Nigeria transcends sex, tribe and religion. It affects all the six geo-political zones in the country, though, in varying proportions and intensity. It has also nullified all the claims of high performance by the various governments in the country. It has revealed, once again, that all is not well with the way we run our affairs as a country.
With this picture of poverty, we can no longer pretend that all is well with the country or delude ourselves into ever thinking that the country is working when more than half of its population go to bed hungry despite the abundant human and material resources available to squarely address the problem.
When did poverty start starring all of us in the face? It is since we collectively abandoned agriculture and pursued the abundant petrol-dollars and inflated contracts. It began when we abandoned production to pursue import trade that has, overtime, made us a dumping ground for any shabby good manufactured in Europe, Asia and America.
A look at the overall trend in poverty rates over the years in the country revealed that in 1980, the figure was 28.1 million. It increased to 46.3 million in 1985 and slides a little to 42.7 million in 1992.It rose very high in 1996 at 65.6 million and 70.0 million in 1999 while the 2004 figure was 54.4 million.
These figures further reinforce the view that the problem is ever increasing rather than being abetted by the avalanche of programmes and interventions aimed at reducing it or out rightly eradicating it from our shores. Given the level of human and material resources at our disposal, Nigerians would, indeed, have no pact with poverty in the first instance.
But the tragedy of our situation is that as more money comes in, the more the poverty level increases disappointingly. Our problem is worsened by corrupt and avaricious leadership that is perpetually and overtly insensitive to the yearnings of the suffering masses of this country that voted them into power to salvage their situation.
Let’s serve you with the statistical breakdown of the poverty rates among the six geo-political zones of the country. The North-East leads the pack with 72.2 percent. North-West closely follows it at 71.2 percent while North-Central came third at 67.0 percent. The South-West came fourth at 43.1 percent, South-South fifth at 31.5 percent and South-East is sixth at 26.7 percent.
The most interesting thing about this regional portrayal of the poverty rates is that the North, which had had the longest hold on power and can boast of a few wealthy individuals, has the greater percentage of the poor than the South. The picture of the North shows that money is not evenly distributed. It is a sharp contrast to the South where wealth is evenly distributed.
The fact that the South-East recorded the least poverty figure is never by magic. It is a reflection of the age-long entrepreneur spirit of the Igbo. It is a portrayal of the fact that the average Igbo does not look up to government or anybody for sustenance. The people do not depend on anybody or government even for projects. That the zone recorded a lower poverty rate is never as a result of government’s institutionalized poverty-alleviation programmes.
The South recorded lower poverty level when compared to the North because of its high level of literacy, which makes it possible for people to acquire skills unlike in the North where many years of misrule and almajiri culture had perpetuated poverty instead of eradicating it.
Poverty in Nigeria is driven by greed and lack of compassion on the part of our visionless and rudderless leaders. It is also driven by the penchant of the privileged few individuals in our midst who shamelessly appropriate our collective patrimony leaving the majority of us highly impoverished.
Many Nigerians are poor not because of laziness or ill luck as some religious zealots would have us believe. People are poor where there is uneven distribution of wealth and factors of production. There is gender angle to it as women are denied access to work by some religious and cultural restrictions. As officially acknowledged, some Nigerians are poor because they lack some tools and capacity as well as the technological advancement to improve their lives.
To bail the poor out of this state-imposed predicament, the government should think of novel ways to tackle the problem of poverty in the land. There is no point recycling old techniques and methodologies, which have proven obsolete and unworkable.
What the government can do right now is to embark on massive job creation. Here, we mean agro-based jobs and not white-collar jobs per se. We say this because Nigerians are hard-working people who will be ever ready to unleash their potentials if the enabling environment is there.
Most of the discontent in the land, even in the Niger Delta area and other trouble spots in the land is poverty-induced and driven. If the 70 million poor Nigerians are uplifted from that unenviable status, it is not in doubt that the country will be better for it.
We have the enormous resources at our disposal to solve this problem now. What remains is for the political leadership to muster enough willpower to address the problem. We have enough arable land for all kinds of agriculture as well as the aquatic cultures for fish farming. We do not lack the hands that can make things happen in the area of agriculture.
We do not lack fanciful proposals on how to solve our everyday problems. The only snag is implementation. A time has come when all the levels of government in Nigeria will treat poverty as an emergency that needs to be tackled with all amount of seriousness it rightly deserved. There is no way the country can achieve its Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), Vision 2020 and its seven-point agenda when 70 million of its population wallow in abject poverty and deprivation.
What the poor in Nigeria are asking for is empowerment and not necessarily free lunch as obtains in other lands. The time to eradicate poverty in Nigeria is now, as any postponement will worsen the situation.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
Can anyone name one industry operating in Ekiti, even if a SME industry?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by ak47mann(m): 6:34pm On Jul 29, 2011
THIS IS FUNNY grin
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 6:47pm On Jul 29, 2011
So because Ekiti is named the 2nd poorest state that is why you IGBO are happy and laughing all about. LOL

it is funny because when the yorubas state, that Andre Uweh and ezeuche and co would say they are tribalistic

you people are just jokers grin grin grin
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 29, 2011
I am from Ekiti and I can tell you why Ekiti is not as productive as we used to be. Ekiti is an agrarian state and we used to have a lot of ibo farm labourers working on our farms while the children were away at school.
But things have changed, ibos are now going to school and we didn't anticipate what effect that would have on our farms.
The next stage is to take the initiative again and start mechanized farming and we will be just fine.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by hackney(m): 7:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

I am from Ekiti and I can tell you why Ekiti is not as productive as we used to be. Ekiti is an agrarian state and we used to have a lot of ibo farm labourers working on our farms while the children were away at school.
But things have changed, ibos are now going to school and we didn't anticipate what effect that would have on our farms.
The next stage is to take the initiative again and start mechanized farming and we will be just fine.

Gypsies.

On a more serious note, apart from Lagos, kaduna, kano and rivers states , which other state is 'not poor' ?
which states have anything other than trying to keep the place clean? ?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 7:02pm On Jul 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

LOL grin grin grin grin leave igbos out of this. there turn would soon come and they know it that it would be terrible times on NL wink

just let them have this thread or this moments grin grin grin
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by hackney(m): 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

LOL grin grin grin grin leave igbos out of this. there turn would soon come and they know it that it would be terrible times on NL wink

just let them have this thread or this moments grin grin grin

Nomads.
The only state that is resourceful measured on any scale is Lagos.
the rest arent much to be honest.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 7:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

What an idiotic reason above. To start mechanised agriculture is good but not enough. Ekiti state natives should relocate their industries from Lagos to Ekiti. They should be proud of their state and give up this idiotic idea of claiming Lagos.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 7:14pm On Jul 29, 2011
hackney:

Nomads.
The only state that is resourceful measured on any scale is Lagos.
the rest arent much to be honest.

nope, we have kano

Ngodigha:

What an idiotic reason above. To start mechanised agriculture is good but not enough. Ekiti state natives should relocate their industries from Lagos to Ekiti. They should be proud of their state and give up this idiotic idea of claiming Lagos.

why are they not lagosians, who are you to tell them to move else where

i am an awori lagosian and I feel ekiti people have every right to claim lagos as an illorin person. I see no problem in this
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ngodigha:

Your response is even more idiotic. I thought ibos were super smart when it comes to business. Do you locate your business based on sentiments or on your ability to make a profit?
If an Ekiti man is building a cocao processing factory in Lagos, I would suggest that is not right, but to suggest I move my factory to Ekiti just because I'm from Ekiti is patently stupi.d.

In any case, I love to see those ibo labourers back.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by chino11(m): 7:16pm On Jul 29, 2011
hackney:

Gypsies.

On a more serious note, apart from Lagos, kaduna, kano and rivers states , which other state is 'not poor' ?
which states have anything other than trying to keep the place clean? ?

Anambra is one of the few states of the federation that can stand on their own with or without federal allocation. Ngige proved it during the dark days of Obasanjor. Ngige used the IGR in Onitsha alone build infrastructure, pay salaries, how much more now that foreign investors are keying into the economy of the state,from the Free Trade Zone to Onitsha port, Cargo airport, Oil and Gas refinery are all at various stages of completion. These are major landmark investments that have the capacity to spring the economy of Anambra to compete with major cities of South Africa. So go back to your rural states of Yoruba land and start developing it, and not running to lagos as if it is your home state. You guys should remember home everywhere you are, if not for anything emulate the Igbos on this singular feat.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 7:24pm On Jul 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

Your response is even more idiotic. I thought ibos were super smart when it comes to business. Do you locate your business based on sentiments or on your ability to make a profit?
If an Ekiti man is building a cocao processing factory in Lagos, I would suggest that is not right, but to suggest I move my factory to Ekiti just because I'm from Ekiti is patently stupi.d.

In any case, I love to see those ibo labourers back.
Quit all this your idiotic posts. If an Ekiti man relocates his industry to Ekiti, it will create jobs for natives, bring construction of roads or widening and other infrastructures as well as basic amenities lacking in this good for nothing state. It is sickening for them to stay in Lagos and claim Lagos as their state while the state lags behind and becomes an object of caricature.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by ak47mann(m): 7:27pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ngodigha:

Quit all this your idiotic posts. If an Ekiti man relocates his industry to Ekiti, it will create jobs for natives, bring construction of roads or widening and other infrastructures as well as basic amenities lacking in this good for nothing state. It is sickening for them to stay in Lagos and claim Lagos as their state while the state lags behind and becomes an object of caricature.
WORD
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ngodigha:

You are extremely dumb, not that I'm suprised because you are ibo anyway. The first objective of any business man is to make a return. If the environment in Ekiti supports my business, then I won't think twice before I locate my business there.

Let me ask you, why are there so many ibo businesses in Yorubaland? Don't you love iboland too? Do you love Yorubaland more than you love your own land?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 7:30pm On Jul 29, 2011
But where are all these so-called professor s from Ekiti? What are they doing for their state?
Are these just passers of book exams with no practical applicability
Or are they parading with fake credentials (olowole)
I hear 95% of the professors there are professing in subjects like History, Yoruba Language, Social Studies, Accounting and Law, all of which cannot solve poverty problems
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

But where are all these so-called professor s from Ekiti? What are they doing for their state?
I hear 95% of the professors there are professing in subjects like History, Yoruba Language, Social Studies, Accounting and Law, all of which cannot solve poverty problems

Just 30 years ago, people like you are more likely to be tilling the soil somewhere in Yorubaland. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 7:38pm On Jul 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

Just 30 years ago, people like you are more likely to be tilling the soil somewhere in Yorubaland. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong.
Could be true or not, I have no clue. But today people like you yorubas are packing loads for Igbo traders in Alaba and manning the gates of houses owned by big Igbo men in Lagos, Ibadan and Abuja
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 7:39pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

90% of their so called professors major in Islamic and arabic studies.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Lanrefemi: 7:42pm On Jul 29, 2011
what indices are we using to measure poverty level here? is it how beautiful a state is? or the no of SME as someone was asking on this thread!
I have been to a lot of state in Nigeria, from south to north and I can't see any difference among most of these states, as a matter of fact I was really shocked at the poverty level among the people of Rivers state when I was serving there, despite the fact that they have one of the highest GDP in Nigeria! Even as "rich" as Lagos state is it has the highest homeless and jobless people in the country, a lot of hausas are professional beggars even with all the money the northern leaders have looted over the years

Guys stop arguing about what state is poorer or richer than each other, all Nigerian states have all failed! As a matter of fact I will even say that Ekiti state is a model for other state i.e it's one of the few states in the country that can choose their leaders (governors) without any imposition.
Ekiti state is one of the major state producing the human resource of the country. apart from the professors everybody is talking about go round the major sector of Nigeria economy from the Oil sector, banking, education, Law, civil service, Ekiti people are there, they've done well for Nigeria and themselves.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 7:45pm On Jul 29, 2011
Lanrefemi:

what indices are we using to measure poverty level here? is it how beautiful a state is? or the no of SME as someone was asking on this thread!
I have been to a lot of state in Nigeria, from south to north and I can't see any difference among most of these states, as a matter of fact I was really shocked at the poverty level among the people of Rivers state when I was serving there, despite the fact that they have one of the highest GDP in Nigeria! Even as "rich" as Lagos state is it has the highest homeless and jobless people in the country, a lot of hausas are professional beggars even with all the money the northern leaders have looted over the years

Guys stop arguing about what state is poorer or richer than each other, all Nigerian states have all failed! As a matter of fact I will even say that Ekiti state is a model for other state i.e it's one of the few states in the country that can choose their leaders (governors) without any imposition.
Ekiti state is one of the major state producing the human resource of the country. apart from the professors everybody is talking about go round the major sector of Nigeria economy from the Oil sector, banking, education, Law, civil service, Ekiti people are there, they've done well for Nigeria and themselves.  

Mention one Ekiti person that has distinguished themselves within Nigeria. Thank you.
Don't tell me about those abroad. Most Nigerians (mainly Igbo and Yoruba) abroad do well in their respective fields
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 7:54pm On Jul 29, 2011
Lanrefemi:

It's about their so called professors. They are all or almost professors of Islamic and arabic studies.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Lanrefemi: 7:58pm On Jul 29, 2011
@Southeast:
My friend, I'm not ready to argue or join issues with you, My point is just that most state in Nigeria have failed and instead of arguing about what state is richer or poorer than each other we especially the present generations should start looking for ways of changing things just like youths around the world are beginning to demand for change.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 8:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
Lanrefemi:

@Southeast:
My friend, I'm not ready to argue or join issues with you, My point is just that most state in Nigeria have failed and instead of arguing about what state is richer or poorer than each other we especially the present generations should start looking for ways of changing things just like youths around the world are beginning to demand for change.
Well said.
But people here have not admitted that Ekiti state is a very failed state.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by chino11(m): 8:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

You have finished work here. No meaningful contribution to the economy of Nigeria. They major on irrelevant fields that has never changed the economic woes of yorubaland, from arabic studies to Yoruba language. Yorubas, not one of them can think and invent, its just book knowledge. Look at a man at Nnewi manufacturing vehicles for domestic and export, this same man never studied in US or UK, he is not even a professor. I thing the southwest has a fundamental issue, their foundation is faulty.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Gbenge77(m): 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
This has been turned into a Yoruba bashing thread.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 8:08pm On Jul 29, 2011
Gbenge 77:

This has been turned into a Yoruba bashing thread.

since when. e don te grin grin
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by JJrawling: 8:13pm On Jul 29, 2011
MISSING PERSON:WE hereby announce the sudden disappearance of Ileke-idi from Nairaland.He/She left home(Nairaland) earlier in the day in search of the commissioner that told the world that Ekiti is the 2nd poorest state in Nigeria.He/She is 3ft poor and had no money on her when she left Nairaland.She is also short,thin and  very very tribalistic.If you see any one that lOok like her,pls report to the nearest Nairlander or to her fellow fellow tribalistc Nairalnaders such as,alj harem,seanet02 and ekt bear etc, A HANDSOME REWARDS AWAITS YOU!!!
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 8:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
JJ-rawling:

MISSING PERSON:WE hereby announce the sudden disappearance of Ileke-idi from Nairaland.He/She left home(Nairaland) earlier in the day in search of the commissioner that told the world that Ekiti is the 2nd poorest state in Nigeria.He/She is 3ft poor and had no money on her when she left Nairaland.She is also short,thin and very very tribalistic.If you see any one that lOok like her,pls report to the nearest Nairlander or to her fellow fellow tribalistc Nairalnaders such as,alj harem,seanet02 and ekt bear etc, A HANDSOME REWARDS AWAITS YOU!!!
What is the reward?.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by homerac7: 8:24pm On Jul 29, 2011
As much as I'd love to stay away from ds "twisted" thread, I can't just stand by and watch my beloved Ekiti state dragged on d floor. I spent 7 years in Ekiti state, so should understand d situation well.

Is Ekiti state poor? YES

U only need to b informed about the socio-economic way of life of d place to grasp d situation it fully.

Ekiti state was created from old Ondo state wt only 1 dead industry ( O'dua textiles mill), 3 federal institutions ( Ado prison, federal polytechnic and federal medical centre-Oye Ekiti), and d poorly utilized Ikun dam and dairy farm. D old Ondo state had most of d industries and enterprises in d southern portion around Akure dt is now part of d new Ondo state.

In order words, d new state started as a tabula rasa. And d economic balance is traditionally towards Akure wc is just abt 40 mins drive frm Ado Ekiti. It merely serves as backyard to Akure. So, many years after creation of d new state, its still popular to live in Akure and come for civil service work in Ado, even as an indigene. No real economic activities go on there apart from govt offices, schools, petty trading, and lots of peasant farming.

In short, d rich indigenes use It as weekend country home from Akure, Abuja and Ibadan while d less rich just do their civil service duties there and vamoose to Akure mainly for weekend wt their families. So very few people hav serious business commitments there. The people mainly on ground are d old folks who r mainly peasant farmers and petty traders and d Ebira migrant farming communities that r responsible for most of d state food production. There aren't much d govt can raise in form of IGR, maybe few quarries here and there and nothing more.

I think their best way out is mechanized farming and food processing by private investors due to its good land resources and proximity to middle belt Dts biggest hub for agriculture. They don't really hav many options.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by EzeUche(m): 8:25pm On Jul 29, 2011
Igbos would not be on this thread if it was not for an Ekiti daughter (Ileke-Idi) who mocked Igbo states.

Some should see this as nothing more than payback for her insults towards Igbo states such as ABIA.  angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos From The Burial Of Briskila Dalung, Wife Of Sports Minister / House Leadership: PDP Mounts Pressure On Dogara To Accept Minority Leader / Inuwa Abdulqadir Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.