Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,752 members, 7,882,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 09:23 AM

Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? (2584 Views)

95% Of Female Students Will Die Of Hunger If Married Men Stay Faithful —lady Rev / Many Women Will Die Of Hunger If Married Men Stay Faithful - Lady Says / The Type Of Woman Every Man Thirst For... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Jackossky(m): 6:54pm On Jul 17, 2022
Haven't you reasoned why sailors or adventurers die on sea and you would be surprised that the cause of death is thirst?

oops,even when being surrounded by water, why not scoop a little to save one's life?

To the curious mind, below is the reason why a person might die when they run out of water on sea.

According to a Quora user

The problem is, the delusion that, any liquid will re-hydrate you.

The reality is a principle called “osmosis”.

Try drinking some saltwater. Really, I mean go ahead and do that. I suggest 2 heaping tablespoons of table-salt, in 2 litres of water. You will want more than 2% w/v of saline in the water. Spike it with a little orange juice to try to keep from vomiting. Try to get it down within an hour or two.

Then, you will RUN to the toilet, and rapidly dump the contents of your guts, with every meal that you had in the last several days.

You will also be dumping large amounts of water. Some people do this as a purgative/laxative process.

If your only supply was seawater, and you consumed it for several days, this can kill you.

Osmosis starts with a membrane, that allows some things through (like water) but not other things (like NaCl table salt or sea salt).

The salty water (with high concentrations/amounts of NaCl salt in it) will actually suck water out of the cells in your gut. Salty water sucks fresh water out of your body.

Some sodium may be absorbed by your gut, and your kidneys will also be working overtime, trying to get rid of the excess.

Another fun fact is that, poor hydration can happen with high-sugar liquids. Again, it is about the high amount of solutes (stuff floating around in the liquid) compared to solvent (the water). I have encountered rest-home staff who didn’t comprehend this, and didn’t care, as they shoved high-sugar juice at elderly people with weak kidneys.

Also, drinking your own urine in the desert sounds badass, but is actually a terrible idea, due to the sodium and urea in it.

Credit: Victoria Campbell
Source: Quora

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by BBBricks: 7:00pm On Jul 17, 2022
They always take fresh water(river water) with them before they leave the port

Or they will have a desalination equipment in the ship

13 Likes

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by PumpumPrince: 7:01pm On Jul 17, 2022
Jackossky:
Haven't you reasoned why sailors or adventurers die on sea and you would be surprised that the cause of death is thirst?

oops,even when being surrounded by water, why not scoop a little to save one's life?

To the curious mind, below is the reason why a person might die when they run out of water on sea.

Try drinking some saltwater. Really, I mean go ahead and do that. I suggest 2 heaping tablespoons of table-salt, in 2 litres of water. You will want more than 2% w/v of saline in the water. Spike it with a little orange juice to try to keep from vomiting. Try to get it down within an hour or two.

Then, you will RUN to the toilet, and rapidly dump the contents of your guts, with every meal that you had in the last several days.

You will also be dumping large amounts of water. Some people do this as a purgative/laxative process.

If your only supply was seawater, and you consumed it for several days, this can kill you.

Osmosis starts with a membrane, that allows some things through (like water) but not other things (like NaCl table salt or sea salt).

The salty water (with high concentrations/amounts of NaCl salt in it) will actually suck water out of the cells in your gut. Salty water sucks fresh water out of your body.

Some sodium may be absorbed by your gut, and your kidneys will also be working overtime, trying to get rid of the excess.

Another fun fact is that, poor hydration can happen with high-sugar liquids. Again, it is about the high amount of solutes (stuff floating around in the liquid) compared to solvent (the water). I have encountered rest-home staff who didn’t comprehend this, and didn’t care, as they shoved high-sugar juice at elderly people with weak kidneys.

Also, drinking your own urine in the desert sounds badass, but is actually a terrible idea, due to the sodium and urea in it.

angry
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by PumpumPrince: 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2022
Jackossky:

BRO, ROMANCE SECTIION is strictly for chasssin women?....so how is drinkin sea water sopose to help any male acheve his mission?
kindly move your thread to tecnology section sir!!(no oofensce) angry
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by VeryWickedMan: 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2022
Only a fool will die of thirst at sea when he can drink his own urine continuously or kill his colleagues and sustain himself off their blood.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Jeon(f): 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2022
Jackossky:
Sea water will dehydrate you due to high level of salt content. kidneys can't handle that much salt, so you will die faster.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by illicit(m): 7:07pm On Jul 17, 2022
Add sugar join

That's ORS

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 17, 2022
Jeon:

Sea water will dehydrate you due to high level of salt content. kidneys can't handle that much salt, so you will die faster.

And it melts your skin! If you soak in it for too long...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by VeryWickedMan: 7:11pm On Jul 17, 2022
Datboredberri:

Which kain lie be dis?

7 Likes

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by LikeAking: 7:13pm On Jul 17, 2022
Jeon:

Smart!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Jeon(f): 7:13pm On Jul 17, 2022
Datboredberri:

Yeap.. With the exposure to a combination of salt, sun and sand..

Salt water is packed up with Magnesium, calcium, and potassium help to absorb toxins in the body and promote the healing process .

Everything with advantages and disadvantages..

I just love the Blue and Aqua color of the habitat

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Jeon(f): 7:16pm On Jul 17, 2022
LikeAking:

Smart!

And I thought I was dumb since all those years....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Rico96(m): 7:17pm On Jul 17, 2022
So if you boil sea water you get salt...nice one
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Framel: 8:07pm On Jul 17, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
Only a fool will die of thirst at sea when he can drink his own urine continuously or kill his colleagues and sustain himself off their blood.

When is your next HIV test appointment?

It's mid July already.

Have you considered North Korea as an alternative option, since you hate us that much but still foolish enough to keep applying for visa to a country you detest.

Isn't that MADNESS?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by kaptaintintin: 10:45pm On Jul 17, 2022
Datboredberri:

And this lie shock even devil sef shocked
shocked
shocked
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 17, 2022
SALINITY says it all!
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Nobody: 2:50am On Jul 18, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
So if you are a colleague, will you be willing to be killed to satisfy thirst or hunger?
I dunno why you don't use your brain well. You need good feeding.
Go to my profile n eat fried rice

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by CrownOfClay724: 6:11am On Jul 18, 2022
Rico96:
So if you boil sea water you get salt...nice one

Yes.

I've seen the experiment.

When the water boils off, there will be a residue of magnesium salt.
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by BeanmanX(m): 7:49am On Jul 18, 2022
Educative,,,,I think it's unsafe to consume salt water hence why those ship use fresh water from streams instead of oceans salt water,,,, drinking salt water can be detrimental to one's health especially the kidney
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by Gadafii: 7:59am On Jul 18, 2022
Experienced sailors always have large reservoirs of water aboard when they sail
Re: Why Do People Die Of Thirst When Sailing On Sea? by siofra(f): 11:23am On Jul 18, 2022
VeryWickedMan:

Which kain lie be dis?

Salt water eats at your skin.

You should have just kept quiet in your ignorance. undecided

(1) (Reply)

My Fiancee Still Desires Her Ex, But Doesnt Want To Leave Me / How Do You Handle Him/her Snoring. . / Girlfriend Left Me A Voicemail By Accident, She's Talking To A Man,she Cheating?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.