Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,884 members, 7,976,298 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 02:48 AM

Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? (23799 Views)

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / God Want An African Pope If The Incumbent One Resign / Did God Want The Dana Flight To Crash? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 5:56pm On Aug 12, 2011
In the Old Testament, the tithe was given to the Levites, to support the Levites.  The Levites were the singers, musicians, ushers, janitors - the servants to the priests.  Then these servants to the priests gave a tenth of what they received to the priests.

Is that the way you do it in church today?  Do you give the tithe to the ushers, musicians, singers, etc. etc. who do the work, and then let them give a tenth of what they get to the pastor?

The Levites were to keep up the Temple.  Now our bodies are the Temple.

NONE of the OT tithe was used for buildings, supplies, missionary work, etc. etc.

Do today's tithes go to the singers, musicians, ushers, etc.?

Are those who receive the tithe today allowed to own land?

Today's tithe is a joke.  It has NOTHING to do with the purpose and use of the Biblical tithe.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by ogajim(m): 6:07pm On Aug 12, 2011
Joagbaje:

Clowns like you don't require intelligent response. cool

2 Timothy 2:23
23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Why I go blame you? You have no answer to any of my questions so it is easier to retort to name calling, omase oooo!

Your kinds of "organizations" remind me of DILBERT cartoons, enjoy this one!

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/1000/700/1717/1717.strip.zoom.gif

Joagbaje:

It sure has everything to do with it. The old testament reference he gave had to do with tithes and offerings.

The pastor is not actually consuming tithes. It belongs to God. And the same way , tithes and offerings were used to run the affair of the temple . And welfare of ministers is only a part. Money given in church belongs to God. It's not pastors money.  Most pastors actually have their jobs and business and some few that are not allowed of God to do secular work are put on salary,Which still has to be approved for them by elders or G.O . According to the structure of their churches. It doesn't mean that the pastor collects tithes and spend on himself . The church money does not belong to a pastor. He is a steward.

You've got to be kidding me,

Nigerians sha! They live in "civilized" societies but still remain steeped in the old mentality, If you have to use SCAMS to raise funds to fund your excessive plans, it doesn't make it less sinful because of your reasons for doing so.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:18pm On Aug 12, 2011
ogajim:

Pastor JoAgbaje: I don't think you understand the CONTEXT of this quote because if Jesus Christ paid the ULTIMATE debt to free us from the BONDAGE of SIN and DEATH, aren't we the TEMPLE of God? Do you have another type of Temple in today's Christianity? Aren't we Royal Priests of God?

Please just stop making noise. You obviously don't have any clue about the connections of tithing in the Bible. TITHING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH REDEMPTION FROM SIN! That is why those who are arguing tithing in connection with the Cross or sacrifice of Christ are desperately clutching at straws! Please show me any verse in the Bible where tithing has a dot to do with our redemption?  grin

You wake up one morning, follow some jerry curled dude about and proclaim you have been called and now we are supposed to pay for you?

Another fallacy. Nobody is asking you to pay for anybody who chooses to follow anyone's teaching. Clutching at more straws does not make your arguments sound intelligent. That is why Joagbaje is inclined to infer that you're clowning. grin

Why can't you "eat" from the free will offerings since you want to be fed? Why must you impose a non-existent requirement on your flock?

Are you the only person who has never read what he said in this thread? Did he not say that 'There is no rigid law about tithing'? The typical anti-tither refuses to see what others are saying so he can argue his own strawman fallacy.

Judgment day go though no be small.

Free your thinking: God is not going to judge any believer for giving tithes. cheesy
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Joagbaje(m): 6:21pm On Aug 12, 2011
ogajim:

Nigerians sha! They live in "civilized" societies but still remain steeped in the old mentality, If you have to use SCAMS to raise funds to fund your excessive plans, it doesn't make it less sinful because of your reasons for doing so.

Those who are giving are not complaining . Which one is your own? I'm sure if you lived in the days of paul , you would have called him a rogue also for raising funds to be sent to Jerusalem. Would you really have given? . Wouldn't you have asked him "WHY CANT WE GO BY OURSELVES TO JERUSALEM OURSELVES ,MUST WE DO IT THROUGH YOU.? cool
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

1 Corinthians 9:13-14 has nothing to do with tithing.

That again is an ignorant statement - because you fail to see the parallel passage in the OT where Paul was drawing his teaching from.  wink

The tithe didn't go to the Temple to begin with.  It went to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities.  Then the Levites took a tenth of the tithe to the Temple.  Therefore, only 1%, not a tithe, went to the Temple.  But there were many different types of offerings that went to the Temple.

Please be consistent and refrain from contradicting Scripture with your excuses. Whether you call it 1% or not, Scripture is clear that what the Levites offered is a TITHE of the TITHES (Nehemiah 10:38 - "and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God"wink. That is like saying 'a tenth of the tenth', unless you're trying to argue either that Scripture was wrong to call it a 'tithe' or that there's another thing that Neh. 10:38 should have said in order to please you! grin

Isn't it odd that even though Abram gave a tenth directly to Melchizedek, the king/priest, that some Christians think they can give directly to God by giving it to their pastor?

ALL GIVING were received by men, even though such offerings were meant to be given to God. Your complaining has absolutely NO SUBSTANCE, unless you can show me where God came down to receive your own offering with His own hand by Himself! Have you ever given anything to God? Who received it from your hand - God or men? Please find another excuse! grin

I find it quite offensive that pastors have appointed themselves to be the receiver of what belongs to God.

That is sounding like a broken record. WHERE have you ever given ANYTHING to God that did not pass from your hand into the hands of other people? WHO received your own offerings (if you ever give anything to God)? It is hypocritical to find offence in what others are doing when your own actions are no different - for MEN receive your own offerings in the same way that other people receive from men! wink

After all, the pastor says the tithe belongs to God.  Then he appoints himself to receive the tithe!!!

Please show me what you offer to God that does not pass into the hands of men! cheesy

God never gave any pastor or church permission to receive his tithe.  God commanded His tithe be taken to the Levites, FOREVER, in Numbers 18.

It is not only the Levites that received tithes in Scripture. Melchizedek was not a Levite, nor was his descent counted from the Levitical lineage when he received tithes from Abraham.  wink

Since the tithe belongs to God, if a pastor accepts it isn't he stealing it from God?  Can someone just appointment themselves to received God's tithe?

Since the tithes belonged to God in Scripture, did He accuse men to be stealing for receiving tithes from His people?

When you cannot give, you find problems with those who are doing so - and your argument is that men are receiving the things of God. Please show me where you have ever given anything to God that did not end up in the hands of men! cheesy
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 6:49pm On Aug 12, 2011
Since the tithes belonged to God in Scripture, did He accuse men to be stealing for receiving tithes from His people?

YES, He did.  In Nehemiah 13 he accused the PRIESTS of stealing a portion of the tithe that belonged to the Levites.  THAT IS THE ROBBING GOD REFERRED TO IN MALACHI 3.

GOD, not me, GAVE THE TITHE TO THE LEVITES.  If anyone else took His tithe, they were robbing God.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE.  GOD gave that command long AFTER Abram gave a tenth to Melchizedec.  GOD has given no one else permission to receive His tithe since He gave the command to take His tithe to the LEVITES.

What happened BEFORE God gave that command is irrelevant.  Once God gave His command, the issue is settled.  The tithe goes to THE LEVITES, per GOD.

That is the LATEST command God has given as to where to take His tithe.  Take it elsewhere, and YOU are robbing God PER THE SCRIPTURES.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 6:57pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

Is that the way you do it in church today?  Do you give the tithe to the ushers, musicians, singers, etc. etc. who do the work, and then let them give a tenth of what they get to the pastor?

That is classic legalism! grin

When Paul referred to the Levitical system as a principle of support for those in ministry, did he apply a legalistic interpretation when he said "IN THE SAME WAY"? ("In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel", see 1 Cor. 9:13-14).

Like Joagbaje said, if people like you had encountered Paul in his day, you most probably might have argued in the same manner - asking Paul the same question of whether that is the way he would do it in church. You would remind him of all the different postures and positions of porters, janitors, swimmers, etc., . . . and then you would blow hot and cold about how it was done in the Law! grin

My dear friend, it is not rocket science to understand the simplicity of Scripture. The OT provides us with veritable principles for our Christian lives today when it comes to practical things. That is why the apostles could draw from the Law of Moses to teach practical Christian doctrines without worrying too much about pedantic details to foster the legalism of anti-tithing campaigners.

The Levites were to keep up the Temple.  Now our bodies are the Temple.

NONE of the OT tithe was used for buildings, supplies, missionary work, etc. etc.

Abraham's tithes to Melchizedek was not based on arguments for the Levitical system - and there's no verse where God complained against anyone who received tithes in a manner that did not follow the Levitical pattern. So, when you grumble about this and that in tithing, do not base everything on just the Levitical system - for Scripture does not show that the Levitical tithes superceded the tithes of Abraham. wink

Are those who receive the tithe today allowed to own land?

Did the Levites not own landed property in your copy of the Bible? Why do we read these shallow arguments from you? grin

Today's tithe is a joke.  It has NOTHING to do with the purpose and use of the Biblical tithe. 

Stop joking around - you simply have no clue about 'Biblical tithes', that's why you argue half-truths here and there! grin
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2011
ogajim:

Pastor JoAgbaje don come again coming off the bench for viaro/pilgrim.1/(later day) Wordtalk .

grin grin grin Jo dey enter game from 89th minute due to lack of stamina. The man is one central defender that's so good at scoring own goals grin
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 7:12pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

YES, He did.  In Nehemiah 13 he accused the PRIESTS of stealing a portion of the tithe that belonged to the Levites.  THAT IS THE ROBBING GOD REFERRED TO IN MALACHI 3.

I knew you would jump at that! grin
Please be specific (so that I don't misread you) - show me exactly what verses you are referring to before I comment on that.

GOD, not me, GAVE THE TITHE TO THE LEVITES.  If anyone else took His tithe, they were robbing God.

Oh, and the Levites were also MEN who received the things that belonged to God, weren't they? This is why I have said again and again: EVERY offering that people presented were received by men, even though the offerings were meant for God. So please show me where your own offerings to God were NEVER received by the hand of men!  smiley

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.  GOD gave that command long AFTER Abram gave a tenth to Melchizedec.  GOD has given no one else permission to receive His tithe since He gave the command to take His tithe to the LEVITES.

In other words, Abraham made a mistake to have given his tithes to Melchizedek who was NOT a Levite and did not descend from them? grin Before Levi was born, to whom did he give tithes?

What happened BEFORE God gave that command is irrelevant.  Once God gave His command, the issue is settled.  The tithe goes to THE LEVITES, per GOD.

This is another red herring. What happened BEFORE God commanded the Levites is VERY RELEVANT - otherwise Hebrews 7 would be completely silent on Abraham's tithes. Anti-tithers argue the fallacy of "irrelevance" into what they are uncomfortable with, so that they can cheat here and there. grin

That is the LATEST command God has given as to where to take His tithe.  Take it elsewhere, and YOU are robbing God PER THE SCRIPTURES.

That again shows you don't understand Biblical exegesis. When God says something, in most instances the so-called 'latest command' does not supercede the earliest providence. For example, when God gave a promise to Abraham, we are told that the Law that came 430 years later did not annul the prior promise (Galatians 3:17).

The 'latest command' argument is a fallacy in Biblical exegesis. smiley God never said a word about robbing Him on the basis that the tithes were taken 'elsewhere' - we know that anti-tithers find their fallacies to be appealing so that they can cut corners and cheat here and there.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by ogajim(m): 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2011
Zikkyy:

grin grin grin Jo dey enter game from 89th minute due to lack of stamina. The man is one central defender that's so good at scoring own goals grin

Zikkyy: You go kill person for here one day oooo grin grin grin

I am not in the frame of mind to take viaro/pilgrim.1/wordtalk seriously any more than I would Pastor JoAgbaje, this guy says everything about the place he "worships when in Nigeria" but hasn't shared that information yet so some of us can check them out, what a way to witness that would be.

Anyone is free to do as he/she pleases with his/her resources, the only point some of us have argued against is the notion that if you ain't doing it, you've got to be robbing God, I don't know anyone that collects a tithe from the allowance they give their kids, we should go to Jerusalem or wait till the Temple is rebuilt to return to the old ways of worship shouldn't we?

I don't know today's Pastors to be in the class of Melchizedek but what do we know? None farmers like fishermen, tent makers, etc must have paid tithe, it was just not "recorded" LOL

Today's governments don't have any semblance of the Levitical system either!

Na waa waa waa for WAEC ooooo!
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2011
wordtalk is a good talker.

Seems those who talk best get elected President (of the US), and to other government offices because they sound so good and knowledgeable.  The good talker is believed by many.  The good talker can convince both the ignorant and those who are educated that the world is flat, or the earth is going to end on a certain date.

Each has to account for his own actions and beliefs.  We are accountable to God, not to each other.

What is right for one may not be right for another.

Although I believe it is misleading if not flat out wrong to use the term tithing when we are giving, all this debating is a waste of time.  As long as we agree that tithing is not REQUIRED for Christians, and that tithing has NOTHING to do with salvation, we'd be better off using our debating time with those who teach that tithing is a requirement in the New Testament.  That is the real message we need to get out.

EVERY church I have attended here in the central part of California teaches that tithing is a REQUIREMENT of Christians by God, and that we are robbing God if we don't bring a tenth of our income to the church.  I have NEVER attended a church that teaches that tithing is an option with one exception.  After meeting with several pastors, ONE of them started teaching that tithing was not a requirement but voluntary.

In conclusion, if wordtalk wants to give a tenth of his income to the church (or to the poor, or anywhere else) and wants to call it tithing, I will try to refrain from debating the issue.  But we don't want anyone to think that wordtalk tithes because he believes it is a requirement by God.

I will continue to encourage that Christians avoid using the word tithe when they are giving.  At the same time, I will continue to encourage Christians to be generous givers.  By generous, I mean according to what they have.  For most, I believe they (me included) can and should be giving far more than a mere ten percent of their income.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2011
ogajim:

Anyone is free to do as he/she pleases with his/her resources, the only point some of us have argued against is the notion that if you ain't doing it, you've got to be robbing God,

That's pretentious talk, since that is not 'the only point' some of you have argued. Those who are 'ministers of anti-tithing' are not just concerned with the notion you're highlighting - they are bent on arguing against any notion of tithing among Christians.

Today's governments don't have any semblance of the Levitical system either!

What has today's governments to do with your musings?
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 8:46pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

wordtalk is a good talker.

Sorry for your loss! This is not a personality contest, so stop having headaches for being a poor communicator. grin

Seems those who talk best get elected President (of the US), and to other government offices because they sound so good and knowledgeable.

There goes the usual jingoistic pity-party again! And you didn't consider yourself 'knowledgeable' when you kept bringing up the slogan of 'lack understanding' because your views were shoddy? Sorry again. grin

The good talker is believed by many.  The good talker can convince both the ignorant and those who are educated that the world is flat, or the earth is going to end on a certain date.

Is this about the flat-earth theory now? Is tithing at par with the end of the world? More clutching at straws. grin

Each has to account for his own actions and beliefs.  We are accountable to God, not to each other.

Good - that's why you should let others account of themselves to God, rather than fidgeting about their choice to tithe. For all that, God is not going to judge anyone for tithing.

What is right for one may not be right for another.

Your choice, their choice - everyone is free to choose whether to tithe or not.

Although I believe it is misleading if not flat out wrong to use the term tithing when we are giving, all this debating is a waste of time.

It has not been a 'debate', so stop pampering yourself. It would not be a waste of time if folks like you had shown some deference to those who are persuaded contrary to your arguments.

As long as we agree that tithing is not REQUIRED for Christians, and that tithing has NOTHING to do with salvation, we'd be better off using our debating time with those who teach that tithing is a requirement in the New Testament.  That is the real message we need to get out.

You're sounding like a convert. grin Miles ago on this thread, some have already expressed that tithing for them is not a rigid law; but anti-tithers did not let it rest at that point. Hiding behind this excuse of 'the real message' is nothing short of a make-over. grin

EVERY church I have attended here in the central part of California teaches that tithing is a REQUIREMENT of Christians by God, and that we are robbing God if we don't bring a tenth of our income to the church.  I have NEVER attended a church that teaches that tithing is an option with one exception.  After meeting with several pastors, ONE of them started teaching that tithing was not a requirement but voluntary.

I'm just wondering how many such churches count on your list of 'EVERY'. Have you never heard about the recent survey by the NAE (National Association of Evangelicals)? While about 58% of Evangelical leaders say that tithing is not 'required', yet "about 95% of those who responded to our survey said that they at least tithed – they give 10% or more. So, they do tithe even though they think that it is not a requirement" (NAE President, Leith Anderson).

This is just to show that there are many Christian leaders who encourage their congregation to tithe without making it a requirement in legalistic terms.

In conclusion, if wordtalk wants to give a tenth of his income to the church (or to the poor, or anywhere else) and wants to call it tithing, I will try to refrain from debating the issue.  But we don't want anyone to think that wordtalk tithes because he believes it is a requirement by God.

If you want to understand something about my persuasions to tithe as a Christian, read this article:

My giving is not limited to alms but extends to tithing – the voluntary giving of a tenth of my income, set apart as my priestly act of worship to God. . .

This is why I do not ‘pay’, but rather voluntarily give tithes. Even though my giving is partly expressed in the form of tithing, it is not a legal debt I owe to God – rather, it is a willing and cheerful expression of my commitment in worship to Him.

http://givingtithes.com/i-dont-pay-tithes/

I will continue to encourage that Christians avoid using the word tithe when they are giving.

Lol, is that not the 'real message' in your anti-tithing campaigns? grin Those who choose to give tithes understand what they are doing - they do not have to wait for you to "encourage" them to avoid using that word. Many people who oppose tithing also use another word: "freewill offerings", even though that term does not once appear anywhere in the NT.

This game of words where anti-tithers have a problem with 'tithes' is conveniently hidden behind fancy talk of 'encourage' this and that - soon we will be reading how you don't have problems with people tithing "per se". grin

At the same time, I will continue to encourage Christians to be generous givers. By generous, I mean according to what they have.  For most, I believe they (me included) can and should be giving far more than a mere ten percent of their income.

Oh pleease! How many of your recruits have become "generous givers" above a tenth of their resources? If 1 out of 10 is a problem, who would you convince of your "generosity"? grin
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2011
God gave a commandment that the sons of Levi should take tithes and He did not say pastors should take tithes, if pastors can not obey this simple command by God then, it just goes to show the kind of conmen we have today claiming to be pastors angry angry angry

29.Hebrews 7:5
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 9:05pm On Aug 12, 2011
Febup:

God gave a commandment that the sons of Levi should take tithes and He did not say pastors should take tithes, if pastors can not obey this simple command by God then, it just goes to show the kind of conmen we have today claiming to be pastors angry angry angry

And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham

^^ How many times are you going to repeat that complaint? Please show us how God personally comes down to receive your own offerings with His own hands - if you give anything at all. Only then will your repetitions be of any interest. grin
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 9:19pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

Although I believe it is misleading if not flat out wrong to use the term tithing when we are giving, all this debating is a waste of time.  As long as we agree that tithing is not REQUIRED for Christians, and that tithing has NOTHING to do with salvation, we'd be better off using our debating time with those who teach that tithing is a requirement in the New Testament.  That is the real message we need to get out.

now you talking gary. tithe preaching, flock 'milking' pastors are the main problem smiley they should be the focus of your message. am not so sure you won't get much out of the tithe payers.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 12, 2011
wordtalk:

^^ How many times are you going to repeat that complaint? Please show us how God personally comes down to receive your own offerings with His own hands - if you give anything at all. Only then will your repetitions be of any interest. grin

God gave us is a simple command that the sons of Levi should take tithes, why can't pastors obey it, yet they accuse Christians that they are not obeying God if they don't pay their tithes. You pastors collecting tithes are income sucking conmen cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 9:24pm On Aug 12, 2011
wordtalk:

Sorry for your loss! This is not a personality contest, so stop having headaches for being a poor communicator. grin

There goes the usual jingoistic pity-party again! And you didn't consider yourself 'knowledgeable' when you kept bringing up the slogan of 'lack understanding' because your views were shoddy? Sorry again. grin

Is this about the flat-earth theory now? Is tithing at par with the end of the world? More clutching at straws. grin

Good - that's why you should let others account of themselves to God, rather than fidgeting about their choice to tithe. For all that, God is not going to judge anyone for tithing.

Your choice, their choice - everyone is free to choose whether to tithe or not.

It has not been a 'debate', so stop pampering yourself. It would not be a waste of time if folks like you had shown some deference to those who are persuaded contrary to your arguments.

You're sounding like a convert. grin Miles ago on this thread, some have already expressed that tithing for them is not a rigid law; but anti-tithers did not let it rest at that point. Hiding behind this excuse of 'the real message' is nothing short of a make-over. grin

I'm just wondering how many such churches count on your list of 'EVERY'. Have you never heard about the recent survey by the NAE (National Association of Evangelicals)? While about 58% of Evangelical leaders say that tithing is not 'required', yet "about 95% of those who responded to our survey said that they at least tithed – they give 10% or more. So, they do tithe even though they think that it is not a requirement" (NAE President, Leith Anderson).

This is just to show that there are many Christian leaders who encourage their congregation to tithe without making it a requirement in legalistic terms.

If you want to understand something about my persuasions to tithe as a Christian, read this article:

Lol, is that not the 'real message' in your anti-tithing campaigns? grin Those who choose to give tithes understand what they are doing - they do not have to wait for you to "encourage" them to avoid using that word. Many people who oppose tithing also use another word: "freewill offerings", even though that term does not once appear anywhere in the NT.

This game of words where anti-tithers have a problem with 'tithes' is conveniently hidden behind fancy talk of 'encourage' this and that - soon we will be reading how you don't have problems with people tithing "per se". grin

Oh pleease! How many of your recruits have become "generous givers" above a tenth of their resources? If 1 out of 10 is a problem, who would you convince of your "generosity"? grin

If you ask me, I'd think it would have been more appropriate to respond with the same level of graciousness that the gentleman extended. Your persistence in 'fighting' even when it is clear there's little basis for these arguments suggests that you have something else in mind beyond your claim to voluntary tithing. If anything, your position is much closer to his than those who argue that tithing is required for blessing,salvation or protection from physical and financial ruin. Maybe, you should spend more effort explaining to those people why you do not 'pay' tithes, but instead 'give' tithes. That would be a more fruitful debate.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 9:35pm On Aug 12, 2011
nlMediator:

If you ask me, I'd think it would have been more appropriate to respond with the same level of graciousness that the gentleman extended. Your persistence in 'fighting' even when it is clear there's little basis for these arguments suggests that you have something else in mind beyond your claim to voluntary tithing.

My thoughts as well wink
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 9:40pm On Aug 12, 2011
nlMediator:

If you ask me, I'd think it would have been more appropriate to respond with the same level of graciousness that the gentleman extended. Your persistence in 'fighting' even when it is clear there's little basis for these arguments suggests that you have something else in mind beyond your claim to voluntary tithing.

What do you call unfounded accusations from the 'gentleman' you're inferring - graciousness? I've tried to accommodate dialogue as much as it can be given; but when they turned the discussion into ridicule, where's the graciousness in that?

FYI, I'm not 'fighting' anyone - those who feel a 'fight' only show us how much of a dialogue they desire.

If anything, your position is much closer to his than those who argue that tithing is required for blessing,salvation or protection from physical and financial ruin.

I think you mistake me for someone else. Not in one place would you read such an idea even remotely suggested in my comments. smiley

Maybe, you should spend more effort explaining to those people why you do not 'pay' tithes, but instead 'give' tithes. That would be a more fruitful debate.

I'm not 'debating' - there's nothing here that looks like a 'debate'. I have given a link to the article for anyone interested to see what I was on about - unless someone specifically calls for a reposting of it here, which I will oblige. smiley
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by oluwabamis(m): 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2011
There will never be an end to this tithing issue till Jesus come back again. But one thing is sure, and that is, the men of G od will never teach their folks not to tithe again. Since tithing is very sweet and easy. I have studied the bible and several other books and I have come to the conclusion that tithing is not for me. Talk of blessing from God I have enjoyed it more than the titters. I got promoted this year, got a salary increase that tithers didnt get. The proponents of tithe are those who benefit from it, when they say it's for your good they mean just the opposite.
If you want to pay your tithe, go ahead you still get blessed for it. It's your money afterall, and you have a right to use it the way you deem fit. But God didn't command xtians to tithe.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2011
wordtalk:

What do you call unfounded accusations from the 'gentleman' you're inferring - graciousness? I've tried to accommodate dialogue as much as it can be given; but when they turned the discussion into ridicule, where's the graciousness in that?

FYI, I'm not 'fighting' anyone - those who feel a 'fight' only show us how much of a dialogue they desire.

I think you mistake me for someone else. Not in one place would you read such an idea even remotely suggested in my comments. smiley
I'm not 'debating' - there's nothing here that looks like a 'debate'. I have given a link to the article for anyone interested to see what I was on about - unless someone specifically calls for a reposting of it here, which I will oblige. smiley

Read mine again. I think we're saying the same thing - that you do not require tithing for salavation, blessing or protection. Others do. Why not show them why they are 'wrong'? Instead, you've never given a direct response to the claims about 'paying' instead of 'giving' tithes.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 10:08pm On Aug 12, 2011
^^
I was actually going to edit that line, but since you commented on it before I could.

nlMediator:

Read mine again. I think we're saying the same thing - that you do not require tithing for salavation, blessing or protection. Others do. Why not show them why they are 'wrong'?

I think there's a difference in what we're saying. If we were close, there would be no arguments sustained between garyarnold and me up until now - would we not have simply left it at saying that Christians could tithe as long as they do not suppose that tithing procures salvation?

However, when he goes on and on completely and vehemently disavowing any hint of tithing among Christians, that takes the cake! That is why I have kept my comments on the issues he raises rather than on other things.

Instead, you've never given a direct response to the claims about 'paying' instead of 'giving' tithes.

At least I posted a link - and if there are questions, I would oblige answers. To whom would I be responding to when such 'direct responses' have not been called for? I think your comments are rather unjustified.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Snowwy: 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

I will continue to encourage that Christians avoid using the word tithe when they are giving.  At the same time, I will continue to encourage Christians to be generous givers.  By generous, I mean according to what they have.  For most, I believe they (me included) can and should be giving far more than a mere ten percent of their income.

I really wonder what message you are passing across. You and your ilk have issues with Christians than give ten percent, give offerings (since it still received in the church), give firstfruits and yet these same Christians help the poor, give to welfare, donate to one cause or the other which is obviously far more than 10% of their earnings yet you still say Christians should be giving 'far more than a mere ten percent'.
A 'mere ten percent' that you have virtually been throwing a fit over. I do not get you. This 'mere ten percent' is called tithe.
So are you saying Christians should give more than a 'mere tithe' now? Let us get you straight. lipsrsealed

oluwabamis:

Talk of blessing from God I have enjoyed it more than the titters. I got promoted this year, got a salary increase that tithers didnt get. The proponents of tithe are those who benefit from it, when they say it's for your good they mean just the opposite.
If you want to pay your tithe, go ahead you still get blessed for it. It's your money afterall, and you have a right to use it the way you deem fit. But God didn't command xtians to tithe.

I think you should be more concerned with 'is this the level God wants me to be at this point?' It's hilarious comparing yourself with 'tithers' because you got a promotion and a salary increase. Possibly it's even the tither that is paying you that salary increase.
Seriously, this statement does not cut it at all.
You should not be measuring yourself up in that light and make such general statements.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2011
wordtalk:

^^
I was actually going to edit that line, but since you commented on it before I could.

I think there's a difference in what we're saying. If we were close, there would be no arguments sustained between garyarnold and me up until now - would we not have simply left it at saying that Christians could tithe as long as they do not suppose that tithing procures salvation?

However, when he goes on and on completely and vehemently disavowing any hint of tithing among Christians, that takes the cake! That is why I have kept my comments on the issues he raises rather than on other things.

At least I posted a link - and if there are questions, I would oblige answers. To whom would I be responding to when such 'direct responses' have not been called for? I think your comments are rather unjustified.

Not been called for? That's a central part of this discussion. Should christians 'pay' tithes or not? Every other thing is tangential. Yet, you've not done much to address that other than post a link buried in a long post, while you quibble over such minor points as whether 1% of 10% is a tenth or tithe or whether giving done after taking care of family responsibilities constitute a tithe so long as it called that.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2011
nlMediator:

Not been called for? That's a central part of this discussion. Should christians 'pay' tithes or not? Every other thing is tangential. Yet, you've not done much to address that other than post a link buried in a long post, while you quibble over such minor points as whether 1% of 10% is a tenth or tithe or whether giving done after taking care of family responsibilities constitute a tithe so long as it called that.

That again is strongly unfair, if not patently misguided. I have not been quibbling on minor points - unless you're asserting that anti-tithers have been quibbling over non-essentials, for it is what they have argued that I have responded to. I think you've rather not read my comments before jumping to conclusions - if you missed them, please go and read again.

- - - - - - -
Edit

nlMediator:

Not been called for? That's a central part of this discussion. Should christians 'pay' tithes or not?

As far back as post #259, I said this:

One who believes is free to give a tithe of what they choose if they so wish. To strain far too much on the letter of the Law tends only to legalism.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=724424.msg8869922#msg8869922 

- and also in post #264, this is what I said:

There's nothing against a Christian giving a tithe or tenth if they so please - but to argue all against tithing is simply erratic reasoning.

I therefore don't understand why you're suddenly making unjustified comments that I had "never" given a direct response! This is why I urge you to please check carefully before you make untrue statements.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 11:09pm On Aug 12, 2011
Some still do not understand what I teach.

I am a Money & Finance Minister. I teach finances according to Biblical principles.

I do NOT teach budgeting as I believe a budget, like a diet, is a short-term fix. I teach changing the way you look at finances. Changing the way you look at needs vs wants. To make changes in your life so that you do not get yourself in deep debt. To teach the power of interest - how it can enrich you, and how it can destroy you financially. I teach fiscal responsibility. I teach to live BELOW your means if possible SO THAT you will have more to give to others less fortunate. I teach against selfishness. I have a whole website dealing with nothing but giving. I teach that true giving is to give from the heart with no expectation of receiving something back. If you expect something back, does it even meet the definition of a gift?

I teach that those who give TO GET blessed are INVESTING, not giving.

I teach that pastors who teach that tithing is a requirement of Christians are false teachers. I teach that pastors who say that your giving starts at ten percent are false teachers. I teach that money has corrupted the church just as it has politicians, businesses, and so many people in general.

etc. etc. etc.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 11:18pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

Some still do not understand what I teach.

I am a Money & Finance Minister. I teach finances according to Biblical principles.

I do NOT teach budgeting as I believe a budget, like a diet, is a short-term fix. I teach changing the way you look at finances. Changing the way you look at needs vs wants. To make changes in your life so that you do not get yourself in deep debt. To teach the power of interest - how it can enrich you, and how it can destroy you financially. I teach fiscal responsibility. I teach to live BELOW your means if possible SO THAT you will have more to give to others less fortunate. I teach against selfishness. I have a whole website dealing with nothing but giving. I teach that true giving is to give from the heart with no expectation of receiving something back. If you expect something back, does it even meet the definition of a gift?

I teach that those who give TO GET blessed are INVESTING, not giving.

I teach that pastors who teach that tithing is a requirement of Christians are false teachers. I teach that pastors who say that your giving starts at ten percent are false teachers. I teach that money has corrupted the church just as it has politicians, businesses, and so many people in general.

etc. etc. etc.

A Budget is part of a Financial Plan, and it is hard to see the substance of teaching only one aspect.

Most of the things you mention are also taught by many pastors who encourage tithing, and it is not 'breaking news' that they do not teach it as a "requirement", even though they encourage their congregations to tithe. That is a totally different thing from the anti-tithing campaign to argue all against any hint of tithing among Christians.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 11:33pm On Aug 12, 2011
A Budget is part of a Financial Plan, and it is hard to see the substance of teaching only one aspect.

A budget is part of a financial plan for those who need a budget. For those who are not disciplined in dealing with their finances any other way. The same as a diet is necessary for someone who is not disciplined to eat properly.

My teaching has been highly praised by many ministers when I have given my classes AT THE CHURCH on Saturdays, at NO charge. If it wasn't for my belief that tithing is NOT a requirement in the New Testament, I would have been teaching finances in Sunday School. I was asked to, but refused because the pastor said I would have to teach that tithing is required.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by wordtalk(m): 11:40pm On Aug 12, 2011
garyarnold:

A budget is part of a financial plan for those who need a budget. For those who are not disciplined in dealing with their finances any other way. The same as a diet is necessary for someone who is not disciplined to eat properly.

Teaching on finance will involve a budget - there's no pretending about that. To then say that you do not teach budgeting makes absolutely no sense - unless, of course, to people who do not know what they should know.

My teaching has been highly praised by many ministers when I have given my classes AT THE CHURCH on Saturdays, at NO charge. If it wasn't for my belief that tithing is NOT a requirement in the New Testament, I would have been teaching finances in Sunday School. I was asked to, but refused because the pastor said I would have to teach that tithing is required.

No need to blow your trumpet - there are many people in various teaching ministries of various kinds who do not charge a dime for their ministrations, even though it costs them a huge lot.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 11:55pm On Aug 12, 2011
wordtalk:

That again is strongly unfair, if not patently misguided. I have not been quibbling on minor points - unless you're asserting that anti-tithers have been quibbling over non-essentials, for it is what they have argued that I have responded to. I think you've rather not read my comments before jumping to conclusions - if you missed them, please go and read again.

- - - - - - -
Edit

As far back as post #259, I said this:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=724424.msg8869922#msg8869922

- and also in post #264, this is what I said:

I therefore don't understand why you're suddenly making unjustified comments that I had "never" given a direct response! This is why I urge you to please check carefully before you make untrue statements.

A direct response would be that somebody made a statement - that tithing is a payment or requirement for salvation, etc.- and you responded to that person. If you have an instance where you did, I'll like to see it. Remember, this should be in response to a pro-tither, not an anti-tither (using both terms for convenience).

And yes, both sides have been quibbling. Which is the more reason why you should have responded with equal graciousness when the other party called a truce because both of you were focusing on irrelevant stuff.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 11:55pm On Aug 12, 2011
Teaching on finance will involve a budget - there's no pretending about that.

And just what are your credentials to teach finances?

Being a retired accountant, state government tax auditor (where most of my career was that of teaching), tax preparer, and teacher at a Christian school, my whole education, career, and life has been dealing with finances.  It was only because of my extensive education, knowledge, and experience that I was able to become a Certified Money & Finance Minister.  The certification was not just given to me either.  And, I don't believe that certification is even being given anymore.

I have also been recognized and honored by the United States Military for setting up a small finance system for them in Vietnam.

I view budgets as the "baby steps" until one matures to a financially responsible steward.  Many never get past the "baby steps" because they lack the knowledge and self discipline that it takes.

Now, YOUR qualifications, wordtalk?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Catholic Church Believes In Separation From Bed, Not Divorce - Father Oluoma / Mary Is Not The Mother Of God / Anti-christian And Anti-religious Memes!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.