Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,973 members, 7,873,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:27 AM

Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves (33288 Views)

CBN Sells Over $300m To Banks As Naira Gains / Oil Companies Resume Dollar Sales To Banks As CBN Eyes Supply / CBN Recovers N60bn From Banks As Illegal Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Mom007(f): 11:42am On Aug 23, 2022
They brought it on themselves. For over a decade, bank workers have been known to have little or no job security. They are fired at any little excuse and denied their work benefits. Now they all see an opportunity and are embracing it, causing the power to shift hands and the banks are now crying foul! Karma is a strange thing. No one can escape it. You treated people like trash. Now you are reaping what you have sown. Deal with it. Sha don't let them steal all our money on their way out.
#access bank

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by anonimi: 11:48am On Aug 23, 2022
thatigboman1:
and efcc has not arrested him?

Has EFCC arrested any of his rivals

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by SANDAT(m): 11:56am On Aug 23, 2022
To me, the exodus is a welcome development as Nigerias teeming unemployed youths will replace them.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by soke02(m): 12:04pm On Aug 23, 2022
Banks will soon start to employ school cert holders
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Horus(m): 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2022
There is always a good end to every problem and only the mere realization of the existence of a problem brings us one step closer to the solution. Nigeria should transform from a country worried about its "brain-drain," to a country that thinks of "brain-gain."
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Phraences: 12:12pm On Aug 23, 2022
Acidosis:

All their shakara will now end after demanding 1st-class honors and 2-1 for a monotonous and repetitious teller job.

The good thing is that skillful 2-2 certificate holders who are above the age of 30 will explore the banking sector in the coming years.

And also giving ridiculous age requirements. Make all the young people japa.

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Phraences: 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2022
Mom007:
They brought it on themselves. For over a decade, bank workers have been known to have little or no job security. They are fired at any little excuse and denied their work benefits. Now they all see an opportunity and are embracing it, causing the power to shift hands and the banks are now crying foul! Karma is a strange thing. No one can escape it. You treated people like trash. Now you are reaping what you have sown. Deal with it. Sha don't let them steal all our money on their way out.
#access bank

Employees now have power. Everybody don wise. Save up and japa. Cos no one is irreplaceable in any company so you need to be selfish.

5 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Acidosis(m): 12:17pm On Aug 23, 2022
pocohantas:

One Nigerian bank has gone from minimum of 26yrs to 28yrs. It is a win win situation.

Exactly !!

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Acidosis(m): 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2022
Phraences:

And also giving ridiculous age requirements. Make all the young people japa.

Honestly smiley
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by thatigboman1: 12:26pm On Aug 23, 2022
anonimi:

Has EFCC arrested any of his rivals
yes, tinubu
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by EdoBoy90(m): 12:26pm On Aug 23, 2022
RepoMan007:
This is just the beginning of a trend that will wake a lot of people up.
Mechanics too will soon start learning CAD and running out leaving the industry with backbenchers.

My brother, many don wise up. A folklift operator just relocated to Canada from Nigeria. He told me, it is folklift that took him to Canada. E no get BSc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by badbwoy77: 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2022
When all y’all do is chase boys with laptop what do you expect lol����� grin okay you expected that it won’t have impact but you arrest both innocent and guilty why them no go run
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by snoopz: 12:42pm On Aug 23, 2022
You want dem to settle for that meager salary at the end of month in that toxic environment?? Na the contract staff i dey pity pass
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by integridad: 12:47pm On Aug 23, 2022
justmondris:

Even if the banks decide to train more tech guys, that will still not solve the problem. The major cause of the problem is poor pay and poor work environment. The trained staff will be demotivated even before his contract with you ends and he will leave once it ends.

Most of them will walk out of the contract once they have a foreign job and their visa is ready. Guys done wise oh.

"Poor working environment" most Nigerian organizations need to improve as workers are now more exposed, a place people spend about 10 hours, for 5-6 days a week, should be very comfortable both in amenities and work culture.
Companies should invest in making an environment very comfortable, like what exists abroad, enough time for break and recess, air, space... Etc or resort to remote working if they can't afford these, We are now wiser.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by scofield(m): 1:00pm On Aug 23, 2022
CastingCrowns:

Please I'm interested in the scholarship group, can I send a pm?
Hello.....please I also...Thank you
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by wman(m): 1:02pm On Aug 23, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Is it really brain drain? undecided
It is more of a sweeping purge of fraudulent IT staffers after persistent complaints of Nigerians and NDIC frustration that banks are too scared to report these fraudulent staff to regulators.

Most of them committed the fraud and japa but they are deceiving themselves; they will still be caught eventually. Karma does not rest wink

https://businessday.ng/exclusives/article/inside-story-of-electronic-bank-fraud-in-nigeria/

This guy and aka Nlpolicewoman aka Ilovedemmanna aka Eriggs never cease to amaze me.

Your country is experiencing serious brain drain and manpower shortage and this is your reply?
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Origin(f): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2022
This is the greed from the CEO and the poor working conditions.

Only the CEO and his sidekicks get to enjoy and every one else can lick the remains even though your IT experts can cripple the company.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Onyenna(m): 2:11pm On Aug 23, 2022
Dikaveli:
Let them reserve the space for us .. I am still learning web dev

Web dev is good..... Try and learn Python programming too..... It’ll take you places.....
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by AfahaAbia(m): 2:38pm On Aug 23, 2022
pocohantas:

True talk.

That said, there are upcoming devs willing to replace you guys. If banks do a GT recruitment today, thousands go apply. The problem is, youths see banking as a means to an end now. They are just there to save up money for their japa plans. So everyone is leaving Nigeria - tech or not.

Your points are extremely valid and true...
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by AfahaAbia(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2022
[quote author=KushLyon post=115977662]

Where you wan for see their replacement? If they want to replace those tech experts that resigned, they will need to employ more tech experts but most people who are gurus in tech don't want to work for local companies, they will always prefer foreign companies. The replacement those banks will get are people who aren't good in tech or average, and they might end up ruining the works of the experts that resigned. Even if banks manage to hire tech experts now, those ones go still resign after a few months and japa abroad. Most people accept bank jobs because they want to gather experience that will make their japa goal easier [/quote]

Not just gathering experience my guy... It's saving Enough money they can to Japa
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by pocohantas(f): 2:51pm On Aug 23, 2022
justmondris:

Even if the banks decide to train more tech guys, that will still not solve the problem. The major cause of the problem is poor pay and poor work environment. The trained staff will be demotivated even before his contract with you ends and he will leave once it ends.

Most of them will walk out of the contract once they have a foreign job and their visa is ready. Guys done wise oh.

If it is poor pay, 95% of teachers would have left. Bankers are saving money from this supposed poor pay. Something that many underemployed youths cannot do.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by 3rockets(m): 2:59pm On Aug 23, 2022
Yet FCMB recently downsized all of its technical/operations middle manpower
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by KushLyon(m): 3:03pm On Aug 23, 2022
AfahaAbia:

Not just gathering experience my guy... It's saving Enough money they can to Japa

Exactly o. That one self join
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by KushLyon(m): 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2022
pocohantas:

If it is poor pay, 95% of teachers would have left. Bankers are saving money from this supposed poor pay. Something that many underemployed youths cannot do.

So what do you think makes them leave?
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by pocohantas(f): 3:07pm On Aug 23, 2022
KushLyon:

So what do you think makes them leave?

Nigerians with the means and interest are leaving.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 23, 2022
Faber:

Their replacements dey. Others needs to be employed too.

Brain drain cannot happen in a nation with 250million people. If it's Namibia or Seychelles with 2k people then it's possible

Covid 19 showed many people that they can work globally from home mbok. People stay at home and make twice their previous salary in a month.

So the chances of replacement is slim.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by zicoy6k: 3:22pm On Aug 23, 2022
The universities will face the same problem when the schools resume from strike. Many tech guys handling IT in many universities have left. Young lecturers have left too. Right now, there are many non-brilliant lecturers but there are still some great minds. In few years time, only dullards will be will be working in the universities. If you like yourself, leave this country.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Faber(m): 3:38pm On Aug 23, 2022
litigator:

Covid 19 showed many people that they can work globally from home mbok. People stay at home and make twice their previous salary in a month.

So the chances of replacement is slim.

You are right to somehow. Many work from home now. Also with the advent of POS business, people hardly go to banks to apply for teller/cashier jobs. They save up money, find a busy junction and open their POS store

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by signature2012(m): 3:44pm On Aug 23, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Is it really brain drain? undecided
It is more of a sweeping purge of fraudulent IT staffers after persistent complaints of Nigerians and NDIC frustration that banks are too scared to report these fraudulent staff to regulators.

Most of them committed the fraud and japa but they are deceiving themselves; they will still be caught eventually. Karma does not rest wink

The brighter side is that our bank I.T related frauds may now go down. Just few days ago, I read an official notice that Access Bank just brought in an I.T guru as their Executive Director for that segment to keep most of these fraudulent ex-staff away from deposits of innocent Nigerians.

Nigerian Banks are now very conservative in that area and extra careful before hiring IT guys. They may soon be outsourcing it like cash in transit service that comes with insurance or go for foreigners head hunted by reputable global HR coys.

If you are a Nigerian who is upright, smart and patriotic, well known in the industry as smart, honest and faithfully competent, right now, even if they fire you one day, they will come back and beg you to come back; your kind are scarce now and in high demand!

Below is a report by BusinessDay:

According to the NIBSS, fraud-related transactions reportedly cost Nigerian banks on average N14 billion in losses annually. These figures, some within the banking sector, believe are understated.

The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) in 2018 sought to investigate some banks for the inadequate rendition of returns to the Corporation on instances of fraud, forgeries, and cases involving members of their staff who were either dismissed or had their appointments terminated on grounds of fraudulent activities. The NDIC made the decision in the light of the report from its Off-Site Supervision of the banks, which revealed the number of fraud cases attributed to internal abuse by staff of banks increased from 231 in 2016, to 320 in 2017, or 38.53 percent above the figure reported for the previous year.

Today, e-banking frauds have developed into a mega industry where cyber criminals deploy sophisticated tools to steal information and scam account holders. The list of bank frauds perpetrated online is endless.

https://businessday.ng/exclusives/article/inside-story-of-electronic-bank-fraud-in-nigeria/

You are a dummy and forever would always be a dummy.

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Wwwq: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2022
Really
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by udeze73(m): 4:10pm On Aug 23, 2022
pls i need advice. i work in the financial sector.

would you advice i pursue relevant certification like ICAN, CIBN, and the like while i pursue my japa goal....

or should i ignore the certification altogether and focus on japa.

will these certificates be useful in the future even though i dont have plans to remain in nigeria for long
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 4:47pm On Aug 23, 2022
kayuseful:
Good one
Maybe this will reduce the unemployment rate for the first time in a decade
For where? grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Humiliation At ECOBANK Badagry. / Blooming Faith Petroleum To Build Nigeria’s Second Largest Refinery / Fire Guts Jabi Motor Park In Abuja, Shops Destroyed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.