Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,636 members, 7,914,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:41 AM

Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal (1342 Views)

Obi! Obi!!, Import And Export, Warehouse Economist- Tinubu Mocks Peter Obi Again / Peter Obi Import Restrictions Removal Shows He Lacks Sense / IPOB Members Dump Biafra Agitation To Support Peter Obi Presidency (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by OfficialAPCNig: 7:38am On Oct 08, 2022
The problem is that most of you people criticizing this move are illiterate. The funniest thing is, they are the same group that were crying to Buhari to open the borders.

Not what changed?

I think it's because, the policy is coming from a man they love to hate.

But the truth is, every Economist that knows his onions will tell you that one of the ways of the boost local production is to allow local producers to compete with foreign goods.

Economic liberalization is the only way you can make an economy grow.

When OBJ wanted to remove restriction on telcom, your ancestors' of those criticizing Obi's policy today were crying, rallying and disturbing public peace, but today, we now have a stronger telcom sector.

What happened when Buhari closed the border against foreign foods?

Did it make farmers richer? No

Did it bring down the cost of food? No

It only made us worse off. This should show you that you don't grow your economy by pampering local producers. It makes them exploitative and wicked.

In fact, USA has a law against local monopoly called the anti-trust law. Someone like Dangote cannot be the sole producer of cements in USA.

He will go to jail if he tries such moves.

How much is a bag of cement today?

Once you liberalize the economy and allow people bring in cheaper alternatives, Dangote will sit up. He will invest in R&grin which will make the cost of producing cement locally more cheaper.

He will also invest more in customer service, improving customer satisfaction.

Do you know why banks and Telcoms offer the highest level of customer services in this country?

Because you have alternatives and switching to a new provider is just seamless.

As an Economist and an Igbo man, I support Peter Obi quest to liberalize the economy for economic growth.

With this move:

1. The cost of food will go down, bringing down inflation

2. Local producers will sit up and stop depending on the govt to babysit them

3. Local producers will invest more in R&grin to produce goods that will compete favorably with the imported ones

4. Consumers will become sovereigns again (consumer sovereignty will reign supreme)

5. Businesses will no longer compete on price level, but on the level of customer service delivery, making an average Nigerian consumers more satisfied

6. Liberalization will grow our export and foreign by improving our production capacity, enabling our local producers to explore external markets for their goods

7. Liberalization will give me options and choices, giving more power to consumer than producers.

8. Liberalization will grow the local and export economy

I support Peter Obi's Economic and Monetary plans for Nigeria. I'll vote for him and the Labour Party at the Federal level and APC at the state level.

We rise!!!

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 08, 2022
Great

5 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by seunmsg(m): 7:42am On Oct 08, 2022
First question, how many items are on the import prohibition and forex restriction lists?

16 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Jostoman: 7:43am On Oct 08, 2022
Some of those interviews are sponsor by APC government to get solution from Peter Obi since their economy team are clueless.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by hisgrace090: 7:44am On Oct 08, 2022
Peter obi is too intelligent for the people he aspire to lead.

I may ask him to leave this people to continue their backward movement.

13 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by 9jii(m): 7:45am On Oct 08, 2022
E
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Zionmdde: 7:48am On Oct 08, 2022
People think that it's all about politics when they don't know that restrictions on anything sky rockets the price of that thing. Once you lift these restrictions, hoarders, black market etc will go out of business. Government subsidises foreign for those on their good books while ordinary people following politicians upandan have their businesses crumbling because of dollar scarcity

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by LibertyRep: 7:51am On Oct 08, 2022
Good points OP.

But is this not in contradiction to his earlier stance on consumption to production?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Zionmdde: 7:51am On Oct 08, 2022
hisgrace090:
Peter obi is too intelligent for the people he aspire to lead.

I may ask him to leave this people to continue their backward movement.
2019 I wanted buhari to win because I believed that his next term will push Nigerians to the wall to bring about the political revolution that will change this country
But presently it looks like Nigerians have not learnt anything and they will still choose suffering because of ethnicity. I might as well start supporting the worst candidate for this election. Since we all want to be foolish

2 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by ojun50(m): 7:51am On Oct 08, 2022
You said well, the truth is that many nigerians only want to wake up and eat, sleep and go to bed.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Zionmdde: 7:54am On Oct 08, 2022
LibertyRep:
Good points OP.

But is this not in contradiction to his earlier stance on consumption to production?
Do you know import restrictions or no import restrictions, Nigeria is still not producing. We are still importing almost everything. The only difference is that few people including customs, banks, black marketers are getting fat everyday while ordinary Nigerians are paying through their nose for the products

11 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by lastmessenger: 7:58am On Oct 08, 2022
Immediately Bihari closed his borders price of local rice,went from 9000 to 40000 and people think import restriction is the way to go. You will end up causing inflation.
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Technomics: 8:00am On Oct 08, 2022
seunmsg:
First question, how many items are on the import prohibition and forex restriction lists?

Let's assume it is just few.

Can you check the economy ever since then?

1 Like

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by LibertyRep: 8:11am On Oct 08, 2022
Zionmdde:

Do you know import restrictions or no import restrictions, Nigeria is still not producing. We are still importing almost everything. The only difference is that few people including customs, banks, black marketers are getting fat everyday while ordinary Nigerians are paying through their nose for the products
That's right, some people are feeding fat on the current misfortune they orchestrated.
But does that mean we should go the whole hog to remove the import restrictions?
How will the removal aid production in any form? Thanks.
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by OfoIgbo: 8:11am On Oct 08, 2022
One of the most important benefits of removing import restrictions is that it empowers local exporters and gives them the moral high ground, as their exports are less likely to attract punitive duties from foreign countries, who will note the fact that these exports are coming from a country that has no import restrictions.

Certain countries can retaliate, if they feel your country is restricting their exports to your country.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by thesicilian: 8:16am On Oct 08, 2022
OfficialAPCNig:
The problem is that most of you people criticizing this move are illiterate. The funniest thing is, they are the same group that were crying to Buhari to open the borders.

Not what changed?

But the truth is, every Economist that knows his onions will tell you that one of the ways of the boost local production is to allow local producers to compete with foreign goods.

When OBJ wanted to remove restriction on telcom, your ancestors' of those criticizing Obi's policy today were crying, rallying and disturbing public peace, but today, we now have a stronger telcom sector.

It only made us worse off. This should show you that you don't grow your economy by pampering local producers. It makes them exploitative and wicked.

In fact, USA has a law against local monopoly called the anti-trust law. Someone like Dangote cannot be the sole producer of cements in USA.

Once you liberalize the economy and allow people bring in cheaper alternatives, Dangote will sit up. He will invest in R&grin which will make the cost of producing cement locally more cheaper.

Do you know why banks and Telcoms offer the highest level of customer services in this country?

As an Economist and an Igbo man, I support Peter Obi quest to liberalize the economy for economic growth.

With this move:

3. Local producers will invest more in R&grin to produce goods that will compete favorably with the imported ones

4. Consumers will become sovereigns again (consumer sovereignty will reign supreme)

5. Businesses will no longer compete on price level, but on the level of customer service delivery, making an average Nigerian consumers more satisfied

6. Liberalization will grow our export and foreign by improving our production capacity, enabling our local producers to explore external markets for their goods

7. Liberalization will give me options and choices, giving more power to consumer than producers.

I support Peter Obi's Economic and Monetary plans for Nigeria. I'll vote for him and the Labour Party at the Federal level and APC at the state level.

We rise!!!
Anyone who starts his comment like this is, in my opinion, not a smart person. It makes me think that he must have copied and pasted whatever he posted next, and I will not waste my time on reading it
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by JASONjnr(m): 8:29am On Oct 08, 2022
seunmsg:
There are many goods on the import restriction.

You should look up on it. Buhari banned these goods some years back and I am sure you read it on this forum.

Seun you're better than this. I don't know you to be an economist....So don't meddle on what will expose your true self of ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Zionmdde: 9:19am On Oct 08, 2022
LibertyRep:

That's right, some people are feeding fat on the current misfortune they orchestrated.
But does that mean we should go the whole hog to remove the import restrictions?
How will the removal aid production in any form? Thanks.
Competition bro. It will discourage monopoly and increase the ease of entry into certain industries. The production you are talking about will require machines and equipment which are not produced in Nigeria. When people can freely import these things, they will be able to kick-start their production businesses.
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by seunmsg(m): 9:31am On Oct 08, 2022
OfoIgbo:
One of the most important benefits of removing import restrictions is that it empowers local exporters and gives them the moral high ground, as their exports are less likely to attract punitive duties from foreign countries, who will note the fact that these exports are coming from a country that has no import restrictions.

Certain countries can retaliate, if they feel your country is restricting their exports to your country.

Can you mention the countries that currently have retaliatory tariffs against export from Nigeria? What exactly are we even exporting out of Nigeria other than crude oil?

You guys really think managing the economy of Nigeria is a joke. Where will we even get the forex to pay for the unrestricted importation your container economy expert is advocating for?

You guys want to kill Nigeria and we won’t allow you.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Advocate500: 9:34am On Oct 08, 2022
thesicilian:

Anyone who starts his comment like this is, in my opinion, not a smart person. It makes me think that he must have copied and pasted whatever he posted next, and I will not waste my time on reading it
even when the point are very glaring to ignore? Only fools think in this manner.i hope you are not reading too much of Reno's theory?
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by kettykin: 9:35am On Oct 08, 2022
Oligarchs Will resist him
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 08, 2022
OfficialAPCNig:

Not what changed?

With this move:

We rise!!!

Sorry to say, you just wrote lot of point that doesn't make sense.

How does import help in reducing inflation?

You are talking about economy liberalisation and talking about import, anti monopoly abd then using US as an example.

I am 100% you know nothing about what you wrote down.

1.First, import does not reduce inflation. Importated goods are more expensive thus creating more inflation

2. For every country to grow economically, government need to protect its local industries from import.

3. How will local industries be able to invest in R and D, when import would have taken away all their profits.

4. Importation does make consumer sovereign because only those who are rich will be able to afford the imported goods

5. How does importation improve customers service, your point here doesn't make sense.

6. Economy liberalization will kill our infant industry, In the United states and china, they practice a protectionist system that is why it is near impossible to import any goods that the US have an advantage over of.

7. Economy liberalization doesn't give option but kill options and create a gang of importers ripping off people.

8.economic liberalization do not grow local industry in other word, we will become a dumping ground for goods from other countries.

Protecting the economy is one way to grow local industries.

Without protecting the economy, we wont have local producers like dangote and co and we will become dependent on foreigner goods to survive.

Our agricultural sector is one aspect where protectionism successfully worked, you can see farmers rearing chickens and fishes in small scales, planting crops, the local feed industry is growing. If we did not have this in place, those industry would have died out
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by SIRTee15: 9:55am On Oct 08, 2022
OfficialAPCNig:

U want unrestricted import policy for a developing economy like Nigeria? Do u really think you can compete with Asia when it comes to manufacturing or Europe when it comes to food production.
U guys will just finish off the remaining manufacturing left in this country.
When Jonathan lifted import restriction on furniture goods, furniture makers in ikorodu area went out off business.
Any nation starting off needs import substitution policy to protect her nascent manufacturing sector. U can only start talking of lifting tariffs on import when u are ready for finished products exportation.
Even world trade organisation allows for developing nation members to place higher tariffs on goods from advanced countries because they understand all hands are not equal. If in doubt, ask Ngozi Iweala, she's the head.
China the most advanced manufacturing nation in the world continue to insist she's a developing country because of the import protection status she enjoys in WTO. It makes it difficult for America and Europe to export to China. Why do u think Trump started the trade war.
Try and import finished products into China and witness the highly stiff barriers u will meet at their borders. Yet u want to throw Nigerian border open to all kinds of goods from abroad.
Everything is not about politics. Buhari economic disaster has nothing to do with import restriction but everything to do with incompetence and lack of clear economic policy from clueless managers of the economy.

1 Like

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Ttalk: 10:06am On Oct 08, 2022
OfficialAPCNig:

Not what changed?

With this move:

We rise!!!

World over manufacturers are protected. That is why US spent million of dollar bailing out its ailing companies. Nigeria too bailed out bank so to ensure the system is liquid during Jonathan.

Once you liberalize the economy and allow people bring in cheaper alternatives, Dangote will sit up. He will invest in R&grin which will make the cost of producing cement locally more cheaper

Why not use same resources you want to use to import to manufacture locally since the aim is to break Dangote's monopoly?

Tell me from which Commerce textbook you copied this jargon. Because Nursery books on Commerce would give better judgement on the subject than this

4 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by techWriter3: 10:12am On Oct 08, 2022
First answer, how many objects are on the import prohibition and forex restriction lists
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by OfoIgbo: 10:57am On Oct 08, 2022
seunmsg:

Can you mention the countries that currently have retaliatory tariffs against export from Nigeria? What exactly are we even exporting out of Nigeria other than crude oil?

You guys really think managing the economy of Nigeria is a joke. Where will we even get the forex to pay for the unrestricted importation your container economy expert is advocating for?

I don't believe I have descended to arguing with your kind.

So you haven't heard Obi and his surrogates talk about moving the country from CONSUMPTION TO PRODUCTION, thus implying increased export activities?

It is clear you only have oil export in mind just like other BATstards, which is why your collabo with Buhari has brought this nation to its economic knees since 2015

Obi has been talking about Nigeria diversifying from oil and increasing her exports as a byproduct of our production increase, and people who are clearly backward and only focussing oil are here, criticizing Obi for a well thought-out policy of removing restrictions from imports, that will go hand in hand with the anticipated increased production.

7 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Wintertime: 11:00am On Oct 08, 2022
Most Batist from the Yoruba descent, are having funny mind of voting in Tinubu.

Base on the belief he will take south east resources and south south resources to develop south west

And this set of people think their brain is functioning
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by Wintertime: 11:00am On Oct 08, 2022
Obi talk is hundred percent right

Don't mind those fools

If import is high, and a local production is improved investors can swerve for the cheaper one.

Not dying to have a costlier expenditure

This fools say no country can live as an island but they also push against Peter Obi thought, not because it's not true.

But hate has becloud their mindset

You want to export to other countries, but you don't want to import from them .

But fools you export crude oil and import refined one .

You block indigenous peeps from setting up local refining industry

1 Like

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by seunmsg(m): 11:20am On Oct 08, 2022
OfoIgbo:

I don't believe I have descended to arguing with your kind.

So you haven't heard Obi and his surrogates talk about moving the country from CONSUMPTION TO PRODUCTION, thus implying increased export activities?

It is clear you only have oil export in mind just like other BATstards, which is why your collabo with Buhari has brought this nation to its economic knees since 2015

Obi has been talking about Nigeria diversifying from oil and increasing her exports as a byproduct of our production increase, and people who are clearly backward and only focussing oil are here, criticizing Obi for a well thought-out policy of removing restrictions from imports, that will go hand in hand with the anticipated increased production.

Buddy, you did not answer any of my questions for obvious reasons; you have no answer.

We’ve all been talking about moving the economy from consumption to production since 1999 and we are still here. So you see, talk is cheap.

7 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by OfoIgbo: 12:10pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunmsg:

Buddy, you did not answer any of my questions for obvious reasons; you have no answer.

We’ve all been talking about moving the economy from consumption to production since 1999 and we are still here. So you see, talk is cheap.

Weren't you the person that pointed out that Nigeria only exports oil and as such, shouldn't worry about protectionist retaliation?

We all know Peter Obi will do a better job at diversifying the Nigerian economy than the current Tinubu-inspired economy. Peter Obi has already been found out to be a better manager of resources, compared to either Tinubu or Fashola. As such, I expect him to have a better roadmap for Nigeria to move from CONSUMPTION TO PRODUTION.

The current economy running on Tinubu's roadmap, has clearly been inspired by a very inferior economic mind (Tinubu).

I will encourage you BATstards to keep quiet. The Nigerian economy has been run for nearly 8 years now, on Tinubu's blueprint. Tinubu has proven to be a complete failure.
A superior mind is now angling to take over the reins of the Nigerian horse. Peter Obi is his name. Sit back, relax and learn from your economic superiors.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 12:55pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunmsg:

Same place tinubu and Atiku got forex for delegates in their primaries
Re: Why I Support Peter Obi Import Restriction Removal by totit: 1:09pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunmsg:

cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apology To All Obidient, Tinubu And Atiku Supporters / Tinubu Free Airtime Giveaway; A Vote Buying Strategy / What Is Special About APC Kano Rally?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.