Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,408 members, 7,947,695 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 07:06 AM

GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities (4929 Views)

Jonathan Appoints Vice-Chancellors For 5 New Universities / FEC Approves 3 New Universities For Northern Nigeria / Imo To Establish Four New Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 17, 2011
My first sentence should refer to Natural resources rather than Human! The damn mod will not let me modify my post!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Bawss1(m): 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2011
Does this mean GEJ will be getting the iPhone 5 for all Nigerians at Christmas?  cheesy
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by biolabee(m): 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2011
akainzo u have killed it

Mobil is a knowledge based business though their pry product is oil
Innovation in Deepwater Exploration and LNG production is a key stone of the Mobil empire so it is still a knowledge and innovation driven coy
Apple develops patents, software and hardware and needs a lot of innovation doing so

So does BMW, Benz, Shell and other supposed 'non-knowledge companies'

If we can have an increase of 50% of budgetary allocation just to education and less amount on security votes
It will help us

More action and less talk
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by biolabee(m): 5:42pm On Aug 17, 2011
engineerd:

I never said the success of Exxon Mobil was solely based on human resources. The fact is the sustainability of their success is Largely based on OIL which is a natural resource! There is a fundamental difference in sustaining continued innovation in humans to produce state of the art technologies that improve our lives! Exxon Mobil can have all the business innovation and tech to harness [b]oil all they want, when the oil eventually runs out, then what? T[/b]hat is exactly the point i am trying to make!

Mobil is a world leader in harnessing renewable energies, check ur facts
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by texazzpete(m): 5:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
aletheia:

^
Is that all you gleaned from that post on FB? I think you are the one who needs to calm down. Apparently for some of you anything GEJ makes you see red and your brains cease functioning.

Now let me break it down for you. What is Exxon's major product? Oil.  A finite resource which is drilled out of the ground. What is Apple's major product? Laptops, Ipads and such gadgets, right? Wrong actually. Apple's major product is it's proprietary software and services it provides it's consumers. This is the source of it's steady earnings. The hardware is just a way of locking consumers into the Apple Ecosystem. You may also want to look at Microsoft. What product does this Titan of a company produce? Is it hardware or a natural resource?

Please try and speak about things you know about. In the words of Apple's CFO during their Q2 2011 earning call:

Revenue for the quarter was $28.6 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 82%. This record quarterly revenue tops the previous record established in the most recent December quarter by $1.8 billion and was almost $13 billion over the year-ago quarter’s results.

The tremendous year-over-year increase was fueled primarily by dramatic growth in iPhone and iPad sales in addition to strong growth in Mac sales. Operating margin was a record high of $9.4 billion, representing 32.8% of revenue

I find GEJ's facebook post to be rather mischievous, coming on the heels of his Education minister describing nigerian graduates as 'half-baked'.
Also, thanks to a succession of clueless Presidents who would rather speak lofty words instead of solving Nigeria's educational problems, we lack the sort of hi-tech know-how the man is babbling about.

Lest we forget, GEJ told us all during his debate that the problem with Nigerian universities is 'poor accommodation'. The man is clueless!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by auwal87(m): 6:17pm On Aug 17, 2011
Knowledge has always been more valuable than oil!
Knowledge will always be more valuable than oil!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by manny4life(m): 6:29pm On Aug 17, 2011
Having gone through a good number of post on here, some people on here just argue for the sake of it. We have forgotten so quickly the foundation of economics 101 and and how knowledge base apply (human resources); the both utilize human resource while one harnesses on intellectual property (under tangible and intangible classification) the other Oil (is classified under land and natural resources) I'll keep watching
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by aletheia(m): 6:31pm On Aug 17, 2011
texazzpete:

Please try and speak about things you know about. In the words of Apple's CFO during their Q2 2011 earning call:
^
In your bid to rush to rebut me and sound important, you trip over your own foot. What do Ipads, Ipods and Macs run on? Windows? I realize the problem with most Nigerians is that they are barely literate. Try and read my post again. Pay close attention to the highlighted part and go sit in a corner and quietly think about that.
aletheia:

What is Apple's major product? Laptops, Ipads and such gadgets, right? Wrong actually. Apple's major product is it's proprietary software and services it provides it's consumers. This is the source of it's steady earnings. The hardware is just a way of locking consumers into the Apple Ecosystem. You may also want to look at Microsoft. What product does this Titan of a company produce? Is it hardware or a natural resource?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Fidelo726: 6:38pm On Aug 17, 2011
well, I quess some of us will never see anything good about the country.
I only feel sorry for you then.
I believe every country has its peculiar problem.
And they are facing it head on.
But ours, we only have those ready to cast the first stone.
[b][/b]
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by edicolove: 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2011
The fact that there is so much misunderstanding of such a simple statement is enough justification for the statement. Many of the responses on this page is ignorance gone on rampage.

1. Exxon mobil is not a knowledge based company. A knowledge based company is a company whose product is knowledge. Simple as that. No hidden definitions. Web companies, data services companies, software companies are examples of knowledge based companies.
2. The biggest companies in the world today are knowledge based companies simple because we are in the information age. wew! I cant believe I just said that. I is supposed to be sooooooo obvious.
3. GEJ should be commended for trying to emphasize we should start looking away from oil. The Ghanians call it Nigeria's curse.
4. Did you see how many people failed Jamb and WAEC? it was a disaster.
5. GEJ didnt say it was an achievement. I dont know where someone infered that from? Another reason GEJ is justified to make the statement. The statement was simply a response to some who questioned his focus on the education sector in the budget. He was only soliciting the populace support for the initiative which is something every good leader does. that is carry the masses along in his policies.
6. Please, it is within your right to critisize but do it with some intelligence and dont show us a reason why GEJ must really put a lot of money in the education sector, #Itssofrustratingexplainingsuchasimplestatement
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by aletheia(m): 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2011
@texazzpete:

Moreover:
In your bid to rush to rebut me and sound important, you trip over your own foot. What do Ipads, Ipods and Macs run on? Windows? I realize the problem with most Nigerians is that they are barely literate. Try and read my post again. Pay close attention to the highlighted part and go sit in a corner and quietly think about that.
aletheia:

What is Apple's major product? Laptops, Ipads and such gadgets, right? Wrong actually. Apple's major product is it's proprietary software and services it provides it's consumers. This is the source of it's steady earnings. The hardware is just a way of locking consumers into the Apple Ecosystem. You may also want to look at Microsoft. What product does this Titan of a company produce? Is it hardware or a natural resource?
That Apple makes hardware is a matter of the business model adopted at the beginning. Research the history of Apple and Microsoft.

Anyone can lift quotations and paste them in a bid to slant the narrative in a certain way as you did:
texazzpete:

Revenue for the quarter was $28.6 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 82%. This record quarterly revenue tops the previous record established in the most recent December quarter by $1.8 billion and was almost $13 billion over the year-ago quarter’s results.

The tremendous year-over-year increase was fueled primarily by dramatic growth in iPhone and iPad sales in addition to strong growth in Mac sales. Operating margin was a record high of $9.4 billion, representing 32.8% of revenue

However it takes an educated man to understand the nuances:
First the incredible news that Apple had surpassed Microsoft in overall profit. Now Horace Dedieu points out that Apple’s software platforms now enables it to earn more than double the amount of profits Microsoft garners from Windows.

The profits are split between iOS and OS X on Apple’s side. The iOS platform enables about 75% of Apple’s overall profit, with record sales of the iPhone and lower but still strong sales of the iPad in Q2. Just four years ago iOS only counted for 50% of profit.

The OS X platform enables about 20% of Apple’s profits, which is also a growth from last year.

Dedieu points to these numbers as evidence that Apple is succeeding based on their integrated platform-and-hardware model.

The post-PC era is being kicked off by a new business model where profits are being concentrated in a hardware+software+service integrator.

You’ll recall that this is the very thing that many saw as the problem with the Mac in its less successful days. The pressure to license the OS and become a sole distributor of software like Microsoft was strong. If Apple had taken the bait and become a software only company it would never have developed the iPhone and iPad, devices that use the iOS platform.

That platform now enables Apple to generate enough profit to outstrip Microsoft’s Windows by 2/3.

The message is a simple one. Making software and selling the hardware that runs it is the business model with the strongest future. Microsoft wasn’t interested in this back when Windows was king, but now that profits are slipping, it’s something that they can’t continue turning a blind eye to.

I believe you should take your own advice:
texazzpete:

Please try and speak about things you know about.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
How does all this gra gra translate to food on the table?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Fhemmmy: 6:56pm On Aug 17, 2011
Bunch of Universities and yet no light to study, what a misplaced priority
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by misterh(m): 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2011
Personally, the question is not about building more universities but maintaining the existing ones. Moreover more graduates are churned out every year with no corresponding job opportunities. There is no denial of the importance of education. The govt has not shown enough commitment in the education sector.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nymphnode(m): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2011
Bawss1:

Does this mean GEJ will be getting the iPhone 5 for all Nigerians at Christmas?  cheesy
Yes o. The only snag is dat you will need a social security number to collect your piece.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by edicolove: 8:26pm On Aug 17, 2011
misterh:

Personally, the question is not about building more universities but maintaining the existing ones. Moreover more graduates are churned out every year with no corresponding job opportunities. There is no denial of the importance of education. The govt has not shown enough commitment in the education sector.

There is one point many people seem to always miss. The purpose of improving education is not just for more graduates to be produced but for people to become more knowledgeable and consequently creative. The truth about Nigeria is that it isnt the government that will transform it. It is you and I. What we do need from the government are basic policies and structures that will help us run. But I still see a lot of people talking about government transformation and stuff. please do read about the asian tigers and their rise. the government provided the framework but the people provided the revolution. lets fight for the environment we need and then lets rise and develop our nation. politicians will not do it for us.

one way to start is to see collaborative projects in all sectors in forums like this. All i keep seeing are hopeless negative comments devoid of vision and a passion to change our nation.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 17, 2011
I get his point. Knowledge is definitely better than oil. And we need to create more entrepreneurs from our schools instead of people who will finish school and if there's no job, that's the end for them. But I think his focus should  be on revitalizing the existing schools first before building more schools. Whats the guarantee that those ones won't end up like the old unis?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by MMM2(m): 8:34pm On Aug 17, 2011
GEJ dis is not our arrangement angry
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by violent(m): 8:34pm On Aug 17, 2011
I'm yet to hear of anything that is less daft, the fact that it's coming from the president of a country makes it all the more disgusting!

Let's even assume for a moment that we all know the president is daft, how about the many educated scholars here on Nairaland?  shall we say the same of them too?. . .it's completely shameful that a sitting president could use of all the things in the world, the value of a company which is known to wildly fluctuate over a certain period, in justifying his useless assertions.

Reaserch in Motion, one of Apple's closest rival, has been losing market share, what does that explain of the President's assertions?. . .are people at Apple a lot more Knowledgeable than those at RIMM?

How does the fact that the United states announced a release of 60 million barrels of oil, which was subsequently followed by the downgrade of the US sovereign ratings--- events which led to the crash of energy prices, and obviously the crash in market price of Exxon Mobil, not factor in the President's idiotic analysis?

It's simply lazy at best, stoopid at worst, to use transient events without a clear logical process, in explaining your bullshyt!. . .
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 17, 2011
So many mumu dey this thread, see as una president dey while away time wey no reach 4 facebook.
gej should be smart enough to know he would generate this kind of reaction, he has done nothing so far and he could post on facebook?

one reason he is able to post on facebook is cos a little boy, enjoyed uninterupted power supply to build it, same with Apple

zero achievements so far and pipu like beaf and aletheia come here dey yarn dust
beaf and aletheia, how i wish you could sit and reason for 5 mins.

violent:

I'm yet to hear of anything that is less daft, the fact that it's coming from the president of a country makes it all the more disgusting!

Let's even assume for a moment that we all know the president is daft, how about the many educated scholars here on Nairaland?  shall we say the same of them too?. . .it's completely shameful that a sitting president could use of all the things in the world, the value of a company which is known to wildly fluctuate over a certain period, in justifying his useless assertions.

Reaserch in Motion, one of Apple's closest rival, has been losing market share, what does that explain of the President's assertions?. . .are people at Apple a lot more Knowledgeable than those at RIMM?

How does the fact that the United states announced a release of 60 million barrels of oil, which was subsequently followed by the downgrade of the US sovereign ratings--- events which led to the crash of energy prices, and obviously the crash in market price of Exxon Mobil, not factor in the President's idiotic analysis?

It's simply lazy at best, stoopid at worst, to use transient events without a clear logical process, in explaining your bullshyt!. . .

thank you.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Jiah011(f): 8:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
Simply stated, knowledge is power. With knowledge and the wisdom in knowing how to efficiently apply information, any industry, policy, system, etc, can be improved. Apple Corp's grab at the top position means that consumers world wide are enjoying the jet world. Technology has made the world smaller and more accessible, and anyone can be apart of it. Apple's products speak to the needs of the current generation and the global importance to  be connected. Oil, on the other hand, is not in the hands of common people, but conglomerates, governments and certain leaders.  

This being said, it would be nice for Nigeria to move into the 21st century. Not just building universities, but improving the whole education system from primary school upwards, would enrich and improve the quality of learning and education. Also creating a solid infrastructure in which graduates of universities could fill in and improve the Nigerian society and economy is vital. Education on its own is important, but not the whole story. Many other aspects of Nigerian society need to be created, improved, maintained, and sustained.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by justwonder: 9:42pm On Aug 17, 2011
and what happens,when in a couple of weeks time exxon regains it number 1 spot? smh
making assertions based on stock market valuations is laughable.Well show me your wife and i'll tell you who you are.(i de laff in obj accent smiley)
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by ouchexy: 10:05pm On Aug 17, 2011
GEJ is clueless, no doubt. grin grin How does building more universities turn our economy into a knowledge driven one? One, universities are not knowledge based firms. Two, universities don't provide the enabling environment to support the growth of knowledge based industries in Nigeria; the government-led economy does. Universities only supply the manpower.
Three, the comparison between building more universities and improving our value system does not follow BECAUSE value system is directly related to quality and NOT quantity. If the >100 universities (including the notable ones like UI,OAU, ABU, Unilag, UNN, FUTO, etc) we have in Nigeria can not provide sound values to our economy now, what guarantees do we have that 9 additional mushroom universities will drive our economy into a knowledge based one? It is an open acknowledgment that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Just days ago, the minister of education said that Nigerian graduates are a burden to the society. Can such a minister guarantee proper value system in our education? I say NO.
GEJ and his army of sycophants are merely clowns that just seek to entertain and insult our intelligence. angry
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Lanrefemi: 12:19am On Aug 18, 2011
@maclatunji:
please don't be over-critical. All businesses or industry requires knowledge to operate with, be it oil, manufacturing or service industry. But a knowledge-based sector simply means a sector that produces what you can refer to as 'intangibles' i.e they are not what you can necessarily hold , like programming/software companies, finance and service industries. from the thread you posted GEJ simply means nigerians should not only focus on the oil sector but other emerging business sectors in the world and this can only be achieved with extra funding in education.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by aieromon(m): 1:01am On Aug 18, 2011
GEJ is busy flexing his little muscles in the cyberworld when he truly knows the solution to his problems.He's lucky i'm not on Facebook angry angry angry
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 18, 2011
D 1st tin i observed afta readin d posters introduction was d insults embedded in every oda comments, i was disgusted, den i observed dat d poster(maclatunji??)neva uttered a single insult,jst plain objectivity.kudos to him for dat.d odas mixing insults into an intelligent topic should pls take note.
Dat said,am not too deep in d stock market or apples history or wat av u.but basically makin an assertion(assertions dat affect unis,students,n ultimately grads and d nigerian economy n nigeria at large)on entities dat varies on global political machinations dat for all we know are hatched in dark corners and brought up to d news as a sweet package,doesnt speak well for our president.to d unassuming,its all good;no problem.but to d intelligent ones;d ones dat looks n looks again,sometin rightly is amiss.besyds,common knowlegde says dont jst take in wat a politician says.gone r d days politicians talk n we nod yes in ignorance

is amiss.besyds,common knowlegde says dont jst take in wat a politician says.gone r d days politicians talk n we nod yes in ignorance
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Seaen(m): 8:27am On Aug 18, 2011
Does the dude who writes this for our president delibrately make his posts sound stupid and plain cos he knows if it is anymore smart and intelligent than this we'll all know its not our good old Jona.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by pinkrex(m): 9:08am On Aug 18, 2011
I might be another white elephant speech. grin grin grin grin

But for the purpose of comprehension, i think he compared apple over throwing Exxon mobile as an allusion to the Nigerian sector. We have only oil driving our economy but the western world has got both oil and artificial intelligence to achieve both feat. Oil is a natural resources but software has to do with human thinking and high intelligence. I hope someone understand what im saying before i get batched undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 9:48am On Aug 18, 2011
Seun, you edited the title of my thread and moved it to education section, then put it on front page. If I caught grin you ehn!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by violent(m): 9:58am On Aug 18, 2011
Seæn:

Does the dude who writes this for our president delibrately make his posts sound silly and plain cos he knows if it is anymore smart and intelligent than this we'll all know its not our good old Jona.

grin grin this got me laughing hard i swear! good one mate!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Direct Entry (de) 2010 Registration / Auchi Polytechnic cut off mark now 170 not 150 / This University Produces The Most Billionaires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.