Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,972 members, 7,880,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:23 AM

Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? (1906 Views)

What's The Last Commandment Jesus Gave To His Disciples Before Leaving? / Did Jesus Tell Lies? / Jesus Told His Disciples To Take A Donkey And Colt Without The Owner's Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 8:29am On Oct 27, 2022
TenQ:

You must understand that Jesus speaks a lot in parables
Luke 22:35-36
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36“Now, however,” He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one. 37For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about Me is reaching its fulfillment.” 38 So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” “That is enough,” He answered.

Jesus was telling them that
1. While He was with them, they didn't have to worry about meeting their needs (purse or bag or sandals) did you lack anything?”
The reply was NO!
2. Jesus now referred to His death and the fact that the Disciples HENCEFORTH will need to provide for themselves AND take care of their provisions BY THEMSELVES (“the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag)
3. Jesus now added that they would have to ALSO provide for their Protection (and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one.)
4. The disciples (at least Eleven in number) brought out TWO Swords and Jesus said: “That is enough,”
Meaning that they are not expected to depend on themselves for PROTECTION. They are expected to FLEE!
YES, they have to protect themselves but NOT in physically fighting.

Matt 5:39-41
38You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’o 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also; 40if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well; 41and if someone forces you to go one mile,p go with him two miles.q 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,s 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even Gentiles do the same?

A prove of the above
Luke 22:47-51
47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

What do you think “No more of this!” mean?

Finally,
Matt 10:22-24
22 You will be hated by everyone because of My name, but the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next. Truly I tell you, you will not reach all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes. 24 A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master
They had to protect themselves but not in Physical fighting.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Lukuluku69(m): 8:56am On Oct 27, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why did Jesus tell His disciples to buy sword? According to the Book of Luke22:36-38. What kind of sword was Jesus referring abt? Is it the Physical sword or the Bible? Kobojunkie, this question is majorly for u and MaxinDHouse who against Christians' self-defence. How did Peter got the sword he had if it wasn't bought?

For Defence purpose only.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 9:19am On Oct 27, 2022
pastorkc4life:
The natural sword is a symbol of the spiritual sword: the sword of the Spirit(Word of God), Ephesians 6:17. The sword Jesus was referring to isn't the natural sword, but the spiritual sword of the Spirit, which is the written Word of God(Logos). The Logos is divided into five(5) parts: The Law, The Prophets, The Gospels, The Epistles, and The Revelation. However, during the time of Jesus, only two(2) parts was concluded: The Law and The Prophets. The other three(3) parts were still in the making. When the disciples told Jesus that they have two swords, Jesus replied them, by saying, it is enough. Luke 22:36-38. Referring to the two concluded parts. Today, the written Word of God(Logos) is concluded. Children of God are in a better position to get more revelation from God. Shalom!
U are just assuming. The Bible nor Jesus didn't tell us the Purpose of the swords. U are only liking it to the Spiritual sword.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Lukuluku69(m): 11:40am On Oct 27, 2022
pastorkc4life:
The natural sword is a symbol of the spiritual sword: the sword of the Spirit(Word of God), Ephesians 6:17. The sword Jesus was referring to isn't the natural sword, but the spiritual sword of the Spirit, which is the written Word of God(Logos). The Logos is divided into five(5) parts: The Law, The Prophets, The Gospels, The Epistles, and The Revelation. However, during the time of Jesus, only two(2) parts was concluded: The Law and The Prophets. The other three(3) parts were still in the making. When the disciples told Jesus that they have two swords, Jesus replied them, by saying, it is enough. Luke 22:36-38. Referring to the two concluded parts. Today, the written Word of God(Logos) is concluded. Children of God are in a better position to get more revelation from God. Shalom!

The Sword isn't natural (Physical) but Jesus was there in person when one of his disciples said " here are TWO SWORDS! And what was Jesus response? He said they are ENOUGH.

If is not Natural (sic) sword as you claimed, why did he not say so? When he knew he was misinterpreted why did not say so?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2022
Lukuluku69:

The Sword isn't natural (Physical) but Jesus was there in person when one of his disciples said " here are TWO SWORDS! And what was Jesus response? He said they are ENOUGH.

If is not Natural (sic) sword as you claimed, why did he not say so? When he knew he was misinterpreted why did not say so?
I perceive it was because it was what they had at that time. So, Jesus said it was enough. Note: Jesus had been the One defending them when confronted and harassed by the Pharisees and the Saducees. So, it was time to depart from them, that was why He asked them to get swords.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Lukuluku69(m): 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2022
Truvelisback:
I perceive it was because it was what they had at that time. So, Jesus said it was enough. Note: Jesus had been the One defending them when confronted and harassed by the Pharisees and the Saducees. So, it was time to depart from them, that was why He asked them to get swords.

Oga, stop reading waht is not on the Text of the Scriptures into it.

Jesus asked his discuples to get Swords for defence purpose only. And some of the disciples are not dummies for even before Jesus asked them to sell the very Garments on their backs to buy sword, they have been carrying it.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Truvelisback(m): 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2022
Lukuluku69:

Oga, stop reading waht is not on the Text of the Scriptures into it.

Jesus asked his discuples to get Swords for defence purpose only. And some of the disciples are not dummies for even before Jesus asked them to sell the very Garments on their backs to buy sword, they have been carrying it.
Yes, i am not denying that. It's just that some folks here are saying otherwise.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Lukuluku69(m): 5:52pm On Oct 27, 2022
Truvelisback:
Yes, i am not denying that. It's just that some folks here are saying otherwise.

They will say otherwise because they have been brainwashed to say so. They have been trained not to see the other side of Jesus.

Jesus is Prince of Peace, so how can he order for Swords?

They have been trained not to read the correct meanings to events. Somewhere in the Bible he was reported to have said " all those who do not want me to rule over them, bring them forth and slay them before me..."

They won't see because most are spiritually blind. They see the splinter in others eyea but the beam that want to cut off the own head they won't see.

He even said that if he mission was to establish an eartly kingdom then hua Disciples would have fought.

But they won't see that, they have been trained so.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by funchippy: 1:16am On Apr 12
I think cause they where going to need them now.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On Apr 12
funchippy:
I think cause they where going to need them now.
That's far from the truth! They did not need it except for that particular moment which the prophet Isaiah prophesied of. undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Sapasenator: 2:56am On Apr 12
Dtruthspeaker:

Say the truth and shame the evil. It proves your pastor does not trust in God therefore, he is not of God.

"To have respect of persons is not good:"

Every True Follower of God knows That The Law is, "He that would save his life will loose it"

And here we see your pastor saving his life. It therefore means he has not God!

That is just the simple Truth!

What about GO going about with armed body guards? Does it mean they are afraid or don't trust God for protection?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Iamanoited: 5:55am On Apr 12
THEY NEED SWORDS TO TAKE OVER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN BY VIOLENCE AND HOLY GHOST FIRE.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Sword? by Iamanoited: 5:57am On Apr 12
THEY NEED SWORDS TO TAKE OVER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN BY VIOLENCE AND HOLY GHOST FIRE.

Orisa37
WE LIVE IN HEAVEN BY LIGHT AND NOT BY LUCIFER.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shocking 7 Mysteries The World Dont Know About Pastor Kumuyi / What Would Atheists Say About This? / Pastor Adeboye Speaks On Make-up, Jewellery, Wigs & Bleached Hair:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.