Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,376 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:04 PM

Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? (10776 Views)

Can You Fall For Someone You've Never Met? / Falling In Love With Someone You've Never Seen : How Safe? / Can You Fall In Love Online/fb With Someone You've Never Met? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Maguy(m): 10:56pm On Aug 26, 2011
I tend to come on this site often to read some post, but the more i read the more i tend to see guys/girls flirting and trying to woo someone whom I'm sure they've never met before or know what they look like. lots of people pose and claim to be someone they aren't. my question today is it is possible to fall in love with someone you've never met before?
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by claremont(m): 11:01pm On Aug 26, 2011
We sometimes flirt here, but that's were most of it ends. Only insane people carry it further than that, though some people seem to be borderline insane these days. So the answer to your question is a definite No-No! cool
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by pendo89(f): 11:11pm On Aug 26, 2011
Yes op .its very possible. I can only allow it to grow if there are high chances of us ever meeting physically to confirm our love 4 each other. Anything short of that is a waste of time,emotions an internet time.
Note: Do not be foolish like some fb dude who had an encounter with a 419 ghost.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by BABE3: 11:13pm On Aug 26, 2011
Yes, It's very possible. I love Jesus.

I "flirt" with people that I've met and know what they look like on here. So, Sir, your mini-theory is erroneous.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by emofine(f): 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2011
@ OP like you rightly said some people pose on the internet. . . therefore I would just safely say that perhaps a person could become enthralled by a character on the internet. Actually a few months back I made a thread questioning the logic behind emotional attachment over the internet. I personally believe it's a dangerous and emotionally exhausting game to play if people dare equate such fellowship with love.

However I do think it's possible to fall in love with someone you have never met before (and not only via the internet, other means too)
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by LesbianBoy(m): 11:15pm On Aug 26, 2011
pendo89:

Yes op .its very possible. I can only allow it to grow if there are high chances of us ever meeting physically to confirm our love 4 each other. Anything short of that is a waste of time,emotions an internet time.
Note: Do not be foolish like some fb dude who had an encounter with a 419 ghost.

Pendo sweety since u haven met moi can u fall in love with moi!  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided least i forget i drive a range rover sport jeep wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by pendo89(f): 11:19pm On Aug 26, 2011
LesbianBoy:

Pendo sweety since u haven met moi can u fall in love with moi!  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided least i forget i drive a range rover sport jeep wink wink wink wink wink wink

Now that's where you lost me completely!! I get repulsed by such lines cz they give me nausea and migraine.
maybe am not human enough.
fyi I fly a plane.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by claremont(m): 11:23pm On Aug 26, 2011
emofine:

@ OP like you rightly said some people pose on the internet. . . therefore I would just safely say that perhaps a person could become enthralled by a character on the internet. Actually a few months back I made a thread questioning the[b] logic behind emotional attachment over the internet. I personally believe it's a dangerous and emotionally exhausting game to play if people dare equate such fellowship with love.[/b]

However I do think it's possible to fall in love with someone you have never met before (and not only via the internet, other means too)
Actually, it is indeed very dangerous, especially here on Nairaland were most people have faceless, multiple profiles for reasons best known to them. Only a deluded person will not see the danger therein!
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Mynd44: 11:27pm On Aug 26, 2011
This is a very dicey thing but if you ask me I wounld think it's possible as the idea of love really has noting to do with physical contact but sort of an idealism which means you fall in love with a person based on a certain idea or character traits the person potrays. My theory sound like crap but is love also not crap?
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by emofine(f): 11:27pm On Aug 26, 2011
@ OP also if one gets to meet their imaginary lover in real life they might just fall out of love quicker than they landed in it tongue
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Mynd44: 11:33pm On Aug 26, 2011
claremont:

Actually, it is indeed very dangerous, especially here on Nairaland were most people have faceless, multiple profiles for reasons best known to them. Only a deluded person will not see the danger therein!

well peopl e tend to fall in love with characters rather than the person so the chances are very high
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Aug 26, 2011
How can you truely know someone you havnt met? And the chemistry between 2 people can only be determined by meeting for real.
I dont think you can fall in love with someone youve never met. Maybe the seeds of love can be sown,
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Maguy(m): 11:35pm On Aug 26, 2011
It really depends on how long and how intimate your conversations are. How well you really know him/her. Unfortunately there are a number of scams that people play and it's hard to find out the truth. He/she could be a sicko, a stalker, a married man, a child etc. You should plan to meet in person (in a safe public place). but honestly i wouldn't even fall for this online jargons especially on here NAIRALAND.
Mynd_44:

well peopl e tend to fall in love with characters rather than the person so the chances are very high
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by claremont(m): 11:37pm On Aug 26, 2011
Mynd_44:

Therein lies the problem! What's the logic/rationale in supposedly "fallen-in-love" with a faceless character halfway around the world? What motivates people to do it? Is it by the way the character writes, argues e.t.c.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by emofine(f): 11:38pm On Aug 26, 2011
Mynd_44:

This is a very dicey thing but if you ask me I wounld think it's possible as the idea of love really has noting to do with physical contact but sort of an idealism which means you fall in love with a person based on a certain idea or character traits the person potrays.

claremont:

Therein lies the problem! What's the logic/rationale in supposedly "fallen-in-love" with a faceless character halfway around the world? What motivates people to do it? Is it by the way the character writes, argues e.t.c.

I think that might be the most attractive aspect of the whole internet flirting - the other person is kinda like a mystery and so one can weave in their words to create some kind of portrait.
Also some may ironically actually feel safer in the knowledge that if a particular character is in another region then there's a safety net attached to the whole kiss chase i.e. they won't have to be confronted with each other (most likely their real identities) if they resided in the same abode. An exotic fantasy perhaps. . .
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by pendo89(f): 11:42pm On Aug 26, 2011
I got 2 friends that are happily married after they met online so I hate to trash it all together.

life is a risk, some are worth taking others not. so before u start 'falling in love' make sure you are sober enough not to 'love' what you can't have,

Plus it also also depends on the site you are at. some have pretty weird characters. [s]And this is not one of them[/s] lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by BABE3: 11:46pm On Aug 26, 2011
LOL-- Mynd has fallen in love with a faceless person. Chei-- I pity you(lol). I just hope she's not a vampire or a transgender. I've heard too many weird and scary stories on here.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by LesbianBoy(m): 11:50pm On Aug 26, 2011
BABE!:

LOL-- Mynd has fallen in love with a faceless person. Chei-- I pity you(lol). I just hope she's not a vampire or a transgender.[color=#006600] I've heard too many weird and scary stories on here. [/color]

Do u realise that most of the stories on here are just people's imagination! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Maguy(m): 11:52pm On Aug 26, 2011
LesbianBoy:

Do u realise that most of the stories on here are just people's imagination! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

what sort of stories have you heard?
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by BABE3: 11:57pm On Aug 26, 2011
Lesb[i]ian[/i]boy.

lol-- You never jam!

Yh, I know most of the stories are made up. I'm just goofing around.

However, its very possible that a good number of folks on here are not who you think they are (190, 2011).

If you want love, then get your lazy a$$ out of your chair and seek for it on the street, not online ( especially NL). Stop wasting your love (lol) on random, unknown people. It makes sense to me not to.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by LesbianBoy(m): 12:11am On Aug 27, 2011
BABE!:

Lesb[i]ian[/i]boy.

lol-- You never jam!

Yh, I know most of the stories are made up. I'm just goofing around.

However, its very possible that a good number of folks on here are not who you think they are (190, 2011).

If you want love, then get your lazy a$$ out of your chair and seek for it on the street, not online ( especially NL). Stop wasting your love (lol) on random, unknown people. It makes sense to me not to.

TELL THEM O!
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by claremont(m): 12:20am On Aug 27, 2011
emofine:

I think that might be the most attractive aspect of the whole internet flirting - the other person is kinda like a mystery and so one can weave in their words to create some kind of portrait.
Also some may ironically actually feel safer in the knowledge that if a particular character is in another region then there's a safety net attached to the whole kiss chase i.e. they won't have to be confronted with each other (most likely their real identities) if they resided in the same abode. An exotic fantasy perhaps. . .
Portrait? Which Portrait? What if the character that is being portrayed ONLINE is totally opposite what the person's real character is, what now happens to the "love"? Do you fall-OUT-of-love when this happens? Personally, I don't agree that being online creates a safety net for 2 characters to mingle; on the contrary, the mere fact that both parties are starting something ONline without even seeing each other physically, has pulled whatever safety net an OFFline meeting would have provided.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Cuddlemii: 12:27am On Aug 27, 2011
Yes its part of the laws of attraction.

Your mental faculty is put to work & your emotion is challenged. It has to do with mystery, curiosity, amusement, freedom of expression because most people are too shy in real life to talk about their bad sides but you feel safe with the stranger.

Variety or unusual, different from what you are already used to. It makes you laugh & giggle. Its getting you out of your comfort zone, you can call it experimental, adventure, exploring or whatever.  Of course they probably would exchange pictures, do video calls via the web cam & voice calls so its almost like a long distance relationship thingy. You get to even confirm from their former school mates, mutual friends & do a research before you venture.

Its also arouses them sexually too because the voice is tantalizing or seductive. You start getting attached, drawn & creative because you are using words & imagination to illustrate & compose stuffs making you romantic & appreciative of art.

You get to test the IQ and intellect of the person. Most real life relationships have communication problems because they can't face each other. By the time you both meet, you are already friends & are like blood related. Its even buys time to let the guy/girl like you physically even if you are not his/her spec so he/she loves you for the inside. You even get to meet classy, resourceful, potential & prospective people who probably don't have a social life or are too busy or just looking for that wow factor or difference. Its an experience on it own.

Some even discuss religion, read the bible or quaran & pray together. Some have similar interest in movies, clothes, music etc. Sometimes their interest may differ but gets them more interested to learn from each other. Like diversity & flexibility. Anything is possible.

Some mad people do strip tease. Some guys would wear their boxers and start shaking their arse  or even put money on their butt. The babe would wear short skirt and dance too. Some go to the extreme & start dancing on a pole & do underwear fashion parade, some even play donkey & Jackpot with playing cards, some play chess. Mehn whatever works for people.

The clause here is pretense, lies, no eye ball to eye ball contact, body language etc but even falling in love in  real life has its disadvantages too so life is about risk. As always, what would be would be.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Mynd44: 12:34am On Aug 27, 2011
BABE!:

LOL-- Mynd has fallen in love with a faceless person. Chei-- I pity you(lol). I just hope she's not a vampire or a transgender. I've heard too many weird and scary stories on here.

If anyone told you this would you believe it? Faceless person ko punnyless person ni
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Mynd44: 12:37am On Aug 27, 2011
claremont:

Portrait? Which Portrait? What if the character that is being portrayed ONLINE is totally opposite what the person's real character is, what now happens to the "love"? Do you fall-OUT-of-love when this happens? Personally, I don't agree that being online creates a safety net for 2 characters to mingle; on the contrary, the mere fact that both parties are starting something ONline without even seeing each other physically, has pulled whatever safety net an OFFline meeting would have provided.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Mynd44: 12:39am On Aug 27, 2011
^^^
some people are also desperate for attention that they don't mind who gives them as long as they get it
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by dammytex: 12:40am On Aug 27, 2011
The word LOVE is actually is a powerful word to be used anyhow. Falling in love takes into consideration a lot of things; physical attraction, sex-ual attraction, mental attraction, financial attraction, cultural/parental attraction, behavioural attraction amongst others. How many of these things can we ascertain over a faceless forum where wacky posts seem to be the order of the day.

But then, different things drive our attraction to the opposite sex. For example it is possible I admire a particular username (especially female) because of some reasons;

sensible posts;
good command of English language;
moderately humourous nature;
responses to insultive comments;
maturity;
practical advisory posts;
creativity;
appreciable profile pic;
diversified and broad knowledge base.

(Funny thing: I know a username with these qualities. Even if you ask me i won't tell.)

If I find these qualities in the posts of a female username for example, its possible I'd want to meet her and know some other things about her. If her true personality reflects what I admire in her posts, anything can happen from there, after-all, we find love in strange places.

So, we can find good buddies on a faceless forum but extending the feeling further to falling in true love would take some other inputs outside the forum.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by claremont(m): 12:47am On Aug 27, 2011
^^^
Let me mention the "characters" I know on here who I admire here for having your itemized qualities; Nayah, Talina, and Pendo89. Inasmuch as from my own point of view, these characters have the qualities you mentioned, is it wise for us to conclude that the "portrait" they portray here on Nairaland is their real character? It may indeed be their real-life character, or it could also be just another deceptive alter-ego! cool
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by emofine(f): 12:50am On Aug 27, 2011
claremont:
Portrait? Which Portrait?What if the character that is being portrayed ONLINE is totally opposite what the person's real character is, what now happens to the "love"? Do you fall-OUT-of-love when this happens? Personally, I don't agree that being online creates a safety net for 2 characters to mingle; on the contrary, the mere fact that both parties are starting something ONline without even seeing each other physically, has pulled whatever safety net an OFFline meeting would have provided.

[b]Portrait? I mean that people who are involved in this sort of game then rely on their imaginary lover's words to sketch a portrait. They use their imaginary lovers words to stitch together a physical embodiment. . .you know kinda like when blind people try to picture a persons face their use their sense of touch to gather data so as to assemble a figure in their minds.

I'm not disagreeing that characters appear different online than they do offline. Some may actually find the mask attached to a character intriguing because whilst getting to know each other some do unravel the others identities. . making the liaison for some more amusing

I doubt such an occurrence can be clipped to love . . the foundation was built on lies more so if a person on the internet so happened to "fall in love" with a character then they cannot be in love with the person behind the mask - they are chasing an illusion instead.

I said for some people (to them) it might actually make them feel some elements of danger has been reduced. . as in they can rest assured that such characters on the net will not be getting to meet them face to face (not everybody on the internet wants their pseudo relationship to translate into real life. . . some could very well be married lol and like I said some people will be busted because they are just posers all along). . .so the further away the better for some because I wonder if some of these characters will think twice about what they are doing if they were stringing along a person that lived within their locale thus much more reachable as a meeting is more likely to be realized[/b]
[center]--------------------[/center]
Well it's not something I will encourage I personally find it unsophisticated but some people have gotten out of it what they hoped to seek for - so each to their own I guess.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by Cuddlemii: 1:06am On Aug 27, 2011
@claremont,

I don't think the subject of the topic is limited to Nland. If its about Nland then I suggest the op changes the subject to fit in Nland.

Even if its about Nland, never say never. People have met & married on here so what are you going to say about that? Obviously, the love is not an immediate thing but a collection of various factors & experience with the other Nlander. Destiny is not in the hands of men, so you can't play God if he says your wife is here.
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by BABE3: 1:09am On Aug 27, 2011
Cuddlemii:

Even if its about Nland, never say never. People have met & married on here so what are you going to say about that? Obviously, the love is not an immediate thing but a collection of various factors & experience with the other Nlander. Destiny is not in the hands of men, so you can't play God if he says your wife is here.

How many people?
Re: Is It Possible To Fall In Love With Someone You've Never Met? by MrsChima(f): 1:10am On Aug 27, 2011
No.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Let Us Appreciate Our Nigerian Men / OMG! See What My Ex Did!!!...don't Open If U R Below 18+ / I Am Starting To Doubt My Sexual Orientation, Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.