Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,040 members, 7,946,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 08:09 PM

Nairalanders what would you do if................... - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nairalanders what would you do if................... (683 Views)

Nairalanders,what Did You Do Yesterday To Celebrate 'love'? / Nairalanders, What Relationship Did You Ever Regret Going Into? / Meet The Romance Section Nairalanders (what You Think About Others) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders what would you do if................... by razznaija(f): 3:53am On Aug 30, 2011
Hello guys was just wandering, if you had donated a body part to your boyfriend/girlfriend, wife and they ended up dumping you, what would you do?
Re: Nairalanders what would you do if................... by pendo89(f): 7:58am On Aug 30, 2011
US man wants value of kidney in divorce settlement

New York doctor donated kidney to wife in 2001 and is now demanding an estimated $1.5m, attorney says

Now that Dawnell Batista has filed for a divorce, Richard Batista wants his kidney back as part of his settlement demand. Or, Barbara said today, his client wants the value of that kidney: An estimated $1.5m (£993,000).

The case is being heard in Supreme Court in Mineola, New York.

Barbara said his client, a 49-year-old doctor from Ronkonkoma who graduated from Cornell University Medical School in 1995, married Dawnell Batista on August 31 1990. The couple had three children, now ages 14, 11 and 8.

After she had two failed transplants, Barbara said, his client donated a kidney to his wife in an operation that took place at the University of Minnesota Medical Centre on June 18 2001. Richard Batista said his marriage at the time was on the rocks because of the strain of his wife's medical issues.

"My first priority was to save her life," Batista said at a news conference in Garden City. "The second bonus was to turn the marriage around."

Dawnell Batista, 44, of Massapequa, filed for divorce in July 2005, Barbara said. shocked

Medical ethicists agreed that[b] the case is a non-starter.[/b] Asked how likely it would be for the doctor to either get his kidney back or get money for it, Arthur Caplan at the University of Pennsylvania's Centre for Bioethics, put it as "somewhere between[b] impossible and completely impossible".
[/b]
First and foremost, said Robert Veatch, a medical ethicist at Georgetown University's Kennedy Institute of Ethics, "it's illegal for an organ to be exchanged for anything of value". Organs in the US may not be bought or sold. Donating an organ is a gift and legally "when you give something, you can't get it back", he said.

"It's her kidney now and ,  taking the kidney out would mean she would have to go on dialysis or it would kill her," Veatch said.

Nor can you assign a subsequent monetary value to an organ, Caplan said. "There's nothing later [you can get] in terms of compensation if you regret your gift," he said.

What's more, no reputable surgeon would perform such a transplant and no court could compel a person to undergo an operation, he said.

There are your answers op.

You let go and let God.

http://oc-divorce.typepad.com/california_divorce_and_fa/2009/01/us-man-wants-value-of-kidney-in-divorce-settlement.html
Re: Nairalanders what would you do if................... by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 30, 2011
Re: Nairalanders what would you do if................... by Tosinville(m): 8:09am On Aug 30, 2011
Never would i try that with a girlfriend but as for wife i don't know cos i aint married yet.
Re: Nairalanders what would you do if................... by MMM2(m): 11:44am On Aug 30, 2011
op
yes

i donated my sp erm 2 my ex still she left angryangry
Re: Nairalanders what would you do if................... by MMM2(m): 11:47am On Aug 30, 2011
razznaija

can i donate my pen is 2 u angry
Re: Nairalanders what would you do if................... by razznaija(f): 3:44pm On Aug 30, 2011
lol

(1) (Reply)

Ex Girlfriend Trouble Part Two / Resiprocal Love / Why Is It Difficult To Find A Nice Girl After School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.