Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,313 members, 7,967,745 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 07:35 AM

If Buhari Had Won The April Polls - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Buhari Had Won The April Polls (5398 Views)

April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot / April Polls: Lynch anybody who attempts to rig, Buhari tells Nigerians / Fashola Challenges Fg To Public Debate Ahead Of April Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by abacus(m): 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2011
OP you dey think like small pickin! Ask your self first is GEJ doing the right thing?
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by luluosas(m): 3:58pm On Aug 31, 2011
Culled from: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=747163.msg9034222#msg9034222

GEJ's apologists, hope, this is the kind of news your ears is happy of hearing. Bunch of IDIOTS!

‘NIGERIANS SHOULD EXPECT MORE BOMBINGS’
By Ousola Fabiyi and Olalekan Adetayo    
Monday, 29 Aug 2011    

View All (55) Comment(s)
  Post Comment
  Twitter
  Send to friend

Nigerians should expect more bombings in the months ahead, sources in the nation’s security services have said.

Top security officials who spoke to our correspondents on Sunday said the security agencies were not capable of stemming the tide of terrorism in the country.

A source said sensitive positions in the country’s security establishment were occupied by agents who were not properly recruited, were poorly trained and lacked the competencies needed to gather actionable intelligence.

“We are not making any attempt to stop bombings in the country. We simply lack what it takes to do so,” a senior official in one of the security services told one of our correspondents in Abuja on Sunday.

The shocking revelation came on the heels of the death of at least 18 people in last Friday’s bombing of the United Nations office in Abuja. The fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has claimed responsibility for the bombing which has attracted condemnation globally.

The source, who pleaded anonymity, said, “One would have thought that by now, the security agencies would have been able to find a lasting solution to the bombings.

“Then, we would expect that security agencies would also have been able to infiltrate the ranks of those responsible for the attacks.

“But I can tell you that there is nothing like that here. We are practically not doing anything either to stop the bombings or to even infiltrate the ranks of the bombers.

“The thinking in the security circle is that the bombing is a phase that would soon fade away. What we are doing now is what we call ‘fire brigade approach’.

“When bomb explodes somewhere, we go there with guns, metal detectors and other minor equipment. But after that, what else do you see? We leave after a few days and the old order continues.”

Another source in the security establishment said the government appeared not to be interested in making the agencies in charge of the nation effective. The source, who also requested anonymity, said government was only “interested in playing politics with everything.”

The source added, “When last did our people go for training? Even the so-called Anti-Terrorism Squad in the Police, where were they trained? Majority of them were drawn from the riot police without being given further training.

“It will be interesting to note that most security agencies rely on newspaper reports to get information. It is like we are being trained by investigative journalists now.”

The source and others bemoaned the fact that the government often sacrificed experience and competence for other considerations while making appointments into key positions in the security sector. They added that this situation had turned otherwise brilliant agents into frustrated personnel.

According to the sources, ethnicity, religion, political affiliations, personal relationships and other irrelevant factors are considered before merit.

One of the sources cited the appointment of one of the security chiefs as an example. He said when it was time to find a replacement for the former head of one of the security agencies, one of his deputies who had been prepared to succeed him “was dropped at the last minute because he was suspected in some quarters to be sympathetic to an opposition party.”

The US in a recent security appraisal report titled, “Country Reports on Terrorism 2010,” an annual congressional report that provides trends and events on global terrorism, states that Nigeria lacks the security apparatus and capacity to combat terrorism.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108292394298
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by sirjec(m): 4:02pm On Aug 31, 2011
^^ because he is Boko Haram
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by sirjec(m): 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2011
abacus:

OP you dey think like small pickin! Ask your self first is GEJ doing the right thing?
Then is he doing the wrong thing? Ask yourself
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
harakiri:

If Buhari had won, they would be no Boko Haram! ! !
No, Boko Haram will still be there (they were there before the elections), but they will give "peace" a chance so that one of their own will reign in peace. On the other hand, MEND would have resurrected back to live.

Dear moderators,

this thread has been derailed. I am just pointing out that the Nothern/Southern divide is so serious that no matter what happens, no matter who is in charge, at least one section of Nigeria will be boiling hot. Reason? We don't belong together.

Dear All,
Can we have a Nairaland Version of the National Conference?
Let discuss how we can buildd Nigeria that is if we want Nigeria. Else, let us negotiate a split.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by 4Play(m): 6:40pm On Aug 31, 2011
What's this about if Buhari was in power, we already had a taste of his leadership in his previous stint as President. Is it that you folks have no sense of history? We had record levels of sovereign debt and were shut out of the credit markets. We had extremely high levels of inflation as the economy contracted sharply.

Nigeria was technically insolvent at the time at the time of IBB's coup. These are things anyone with a sense of history can verify. If you are unable to access reading material on that era, you can at least look up Google archive. Support for Buhari is the triumph of hope over experience. Not that GEJ is much better.

1 Like

Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by reindeer: 9:27pm On Aug 31, 2011
Democracy under GEJ can be summed up thus:

''GOVERNMENT OF THE CLUELESS, BY THE CLUELESS FOR THE CLUELESS.''

Thoe are the only ones who dont have a problem with this phlegmatic government.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by okpurukata(f): 9:54pm On Aug 31, 2011
Even if all muslim northerners voted for him, He will never win an election in Nigeria. Buhari is a bigot simple. His military incursion truncated all the wonderful plans the civilian governor of my state then laid out for my community. We never saw tap water again all thru military rule. He will never win insha allah. so case closed.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 31, 2011
Now I see it clearly,

Nigeria has no hope, Nigeria is doomed.

If the "great' minds of Nairaland cannot read a simple post and discuss the content under the context and not the letter, then I am afraid that Nigeria is surely doomed.

Please, I want to plead with you all to go back to my original post.

This post has nothing to do with Buhari or Jonathan, they are only mentioned becuase they are symbols in this situation.

Ok. Let me try to make it in black and white what I meant in the post.

I am simply saying that Nigeria as a Nation has a problem of ethnic/reglious sentiments that beclouds senses of reasoning.

Eg: Soludo was anti North because he is South and Sanusi is anti South because he is North.
To the North, MEND are terrorists but to the ND, MEND has a course. Now its Boko Haram, while the South is shouting "death" to all terrorists, the North is rather apologising to Boko Haram. The Igbo elders are swearing to "fight" if Massobians are harrassed without course, but to the North, Massobians should be fried.

What I mean is that the bombs will still go off irrespective of who is in charge: the only difference is the location where it will be going off. For those, talking about how Buhari will "wipe" out MEND or Boko Haram, you can only kill a man but not an idea. Boko Haram, Massob, MEND, etc are all ideas.

For example, I am Igbo and since I have been a child until now, I am still wishing to have Biafra. I never joined Massob, not intending to, but each new day, I see reasons why I should not belong to same country with somebody who will not have a second thought in killing me in the Name of God.

It does not matter who is in charge and what his intensions are. It must be interpreted with this ethnic/religiuos bias.

I don't know if this will help our discussion, but so far, I am ashamed at most of the posts becuase they are completely OP.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Yusufi(m): 12:42am On Sep 01, 2011
If Buhari had won the April pools, the root cause of our problems as a nation which is CORRUPTION would have been significantly stemmed because the Judiciary would be fully empowered to adequately prosecute any public official that has got a case to answer. That would spell the beginning of accountable governance where anything short of visible performance would not be entertained and tolerated.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 01, 2011
boko haram started fighting during the time of late yaradua, what can u say about that? People just hate buhari because he is a northener, assuming buhari was from lagos or enugu, he would have won aprill polls with a greater margin. Buhari was the man, and we have missed him!!
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by sirjec(m): 2:13am On Sep 01, 2011
babagy82:

boko haram started fighting during the time of late yaradua, what can u say about that? People just hate buhari because he is a northener, assuming buhari was from lagos or enugu, he would have won aprill polls with a greater margin. Buhari was the man, and we have missed him!!

Ok you are saying that the north hates GEJ cos he is from minority. Who heard abt Boko Haram during Yar'Adua?
They need amnesty, dont worry we will use accruals from cow business to give them Amnesty not oil money.
Thiefs
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by BigB11(m): 4:58am On Sep 01, 2011
It was stated somewhere that the root of our issues in Nigeria is divided into two parts: 1. Corruption and 2. Indiscipline
If this is true, then something serious is wrong with your head if you think Buhari wouldn't have been the most important and the missing puzzle among other figure-head candidates.

Comparing Buhari to Jonathan is nothing but a serious disrespect. Just stop it!
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 01, 2011
@ sirjec
who tell you northeners hated good luck jonathan, where do you think good luck got most of his votes? Pdp is most strongest party in the north, if you dont knw go and ask.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 01, 2011
It won't have been disastrous,that's why God didn't allow him
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
Each time I come back to this thread, I feel like weaping.
Why is almost every body out of point?

This thread is not Buhari vs GEJ: it is about the fact that Nigeria is so polarised that everything is seen from North vs South, Christian vs Moslem, against us vs for us, marginalisation vs favoured. Nigeria is not a country. We don't have patriots, but ethnic war lords.

Jos is boiling because of this issue.

Let us sit down and negotiate Nigeria. The blood letting is enough.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Ahbeke(f): 5:13pm On Sep 01, 2011
I stand to b corrected. If Buhari won the election am sure Nigeria will be boiling at 120 degree c, Buhari is not Nigeria solution neither Jonathan is the best

but God want Goodluck to rule us, who is Buhari by d way? Thou i like him as a person but he's not a good ruler. All these boombing issue is from conc

northerner that are conc muslim just to frustrate the Christians nd d minority in these country,see sanisi dey do his own, i which i can see him face to face and

ask him some question,who his he deceiving? Abeg my bible told mi dat is God that harden the heart of the King nd nobody becomes the King witout God

approving it. If God want Nigeria to suffer in the hands of Buhari he will definately win,did u think we voted Goodluck in? Definitely not,God put him there. So

why these comparative. If u are not happy that Goodluck is there why not jump into hell fire.
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Ahbeke(f): 5:29pm On Sep 01, 2011
Buhari is just Nigeria Gadaffi,he want the power at all cost,that why he ask his fellow religion partner dat thinks lik him to b killing/bombing every where, why

he's crying if not because, , if he's a responsible man why must he say am not goin to court or fight if i loose but my party can,men that nonesense. No b

the religion hes practicing forbid there children doin or joining christian activities so why now saying am going to fast but my wife nd kid might decide to go for

tourism with my neighbor to Jerusalem, abeg don't b deceived,i use to like him,my vote is for him but now i dislike him with passion. I d on't av anythin against

Islam but to those that practice it upside down,am surrounded and grew up with conc but sensible Muslims. cry cry cry

cry cry cry for deceived muslim
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 02, 2011
There is no need to wonder how Buhari would have performed, as a former Head of State and former Chairman of the Petroleum Trust Fund, Buhari's performance is a matter of historical record.

He reduced inflation from 39% to 3%

He almost stemmed corruption completely and imprisoned hundreds of corrupt politicians, officials and business people.

He quenched religious fantaticism in Yola.

His anti-corruption drive even caused collapse of a corrupt British bank, that was helping to bleed us dry.

He was overthrown by Babangida (probably with support from Obasanjo) after only 20months and the rest is history. angry

I have a thread on Nigerian history via archived news stories and videos, where the Buhari years are documented.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.96.html
Re: If Buhari Had Won The April Polls by deb(m): 9:10am On Sep 02, 2011
OGD would have been arrested
Akala would have been arrested.
Power supply issues would have been addressed openly.
Obasanjo would have relocated to Congo and IBB to Saudi Arabia.
Poor education and medical standard would have been addressed openly.
EFCC would have been restructured to function better.
Pending corruption cases with EFCC would have been re-opened.
All governors would have been more focused on performing
Oladimeji Bankole would have hated his life by now
All fake politicians businessmen would have stepped down one at a time.
Bombing issue would have been tackled from the root.
Aso Rock would have gotten more respect in general.
Discipline in Nigeria would have been more visible.
Corruption would have drastically reduced.
Mustafa would have been given more time to reveal what he knows.
People responsible for the $17b power supply project would have been probed vigorously.
Minimun wage issue would have been addressed.
Annual salaries of the senators would have been re-addressed

Things in general would have been different and more would have been accomplished by now.
Buhari would have proved to all that our problems in Nigeria are fat like a thief's neck, but solution to these problems is very straight forward.

This is the reason why some of us from the South voted Buhari against ethnic sentiments.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fresh Census Ordered In 14 LG's In Lagos / BOMBSHELL!!! Kwankwaso Lands Another Slap On The Faces Of Muhammadu Buhari / What If Court Cancels GMB Eligibility In The Next Hearing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.