Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,111 members, 7,916,247 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 06:48 PM

How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans (12670 Views)

Six Foods To Avoid Before You Meet Your Woman In Bed / Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out / Your Take On The Increase In The Price Of Beans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 30, 2011
So how can we avoid/reduce gas?

Soak your beans prior to cooking 4-6hr or overnight. Soaking loosens the skin and releases the gas causing oligosaccharide

Change the water for the beans a couple of times (while soaking and while cooking)

Slow cooking is the best option for beans, the longer the beans is cooked the more gas is released

Don’t add salt while cooking, it is extremely important for the beans to be extremely tender to prevent gas and sodium prevents softening (add salt when the beans is tender enough to eat)

On the medication front (I am not a fan) the enzyme that breaks down oligosaccharides (alpha-galactosidase) which is derived from the fungus Aspergillus niger is available under the brand name Beano.

Copied from 9jafoodie dot com- check the site out on Nigerian food and recipes

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 31, 2011
Do we have any beans lover in the house cry
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 3:57am On Sep 01, 2011
Well, I like moin-moin cheesy lol. I eat red kidney beans as well but that's about it for me.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by NatGas(m): 2:41pm On Sep 01, 2011
labalaba:

So how can we avoid/reduce gas?

Soak your beans prior to cooking 4-6hr or overnight. Soaking loosens the skin and releases the gas causing oligosaccharide

Change the water for the beans a couple of times (while soaking and while cooking)

Slow cooking is the best option for beans, the longer the beans is cooked the more gas is released

Don’t add salt while cooking, it is extremely important for the beans to be extremely tender to prevent gas and sodium prevents softening (add salt when the beans is tender enough to eat)

On the medication front (I am not a fan) the enzyme that breaks down oligosaccharides (alpha-galactosidase) which is derived from the fungus Aspergillus niger is available under the brand name Beano.

and reduce the protein as well? the gas that follows beansin is fun!!!
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by kizito96(m): 2:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
Thank you. Good advice
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 01, 2011
Why avoid this form of gas when there is scarcity of cooking gas in Nigeria!? Hahaha!
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Beaf1: 3:04pm On Sep 01, 2011
Just wondering if we carry out all these, will the beans be as tasty as it should be without the aforementioned? And if yes, will it still have the proteins and all goodies that our system need?

Thanks.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Iranoladun(f): 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
I will try this but I think it may affect the taste and color of the beans porridge
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by buzugee(m): 3:07pm On Sep 01, 2011
beano work just fine grin
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by dayokanu(m): 3:10pm On Sep 01, 2011
All this work just to reduce gas?

Abeg make we dey gas dey go just cover your nose
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Greenslim: 3:21pm On Sep 01, 2011
i love bean
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by nagoma(m): 3:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
Why avoid this form of gas when there is scarcity of cooking gas in Nigeria!? Hahaha!

Yes, I will collect and bottle the gas. Resouce management has always been the problem in Naija!!
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by kokoye(m): 3:41pm On Sep 01, 2011
Simple.

Just add Garri

but wait o, gas has been associated with beans from day one . . why take it away now?

abeg ojare.

Beans is the main course and gas is the dessert.

If you dont release gas after eating beans, the gas will just blow up inside of you . .even worse  grin

thatistosay the gas is an essential part of eating beans

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by MyJoe: 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2011
I don't eat beans much, but on the occasions I do, I never gas - whatever the type of beans. Because I eat it straight from the fire. Once beans cools down, even if for a few minutes, it's already infested.

Forget all those procedures.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Guyman02: 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2011
To reduce gas just chew the beans raw. grin grin grin
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Talking(m): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
Nice one, I think it works cheesy cheesy But you can also eat your beans hot and not cold too. The colder the beans, the stronger and nastier the mess/fart. grin grin grin
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by islamrules(m): 4:09pm On Sep 01, 2011
Good one! Keep it coming!
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
are you certain the gas is due to Oligosaccharides or AntiNutritionalFactors such as phytic acid ?
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by amblors(m): 4:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
"gas effect" interesting name. sounds like something out of a chemistry book.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2011
I suffered a lot when i used to eat beans and now i stopped. I avoid beans as much as i can. Just not too good for me no matter how well you cook it. undecided
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Ben13: 5:07pm On Sep 01, 2011
The beans are 'dead' already. The good thing about bean is the "gas", I liketh it that way. tongue
For moi, No gas? No beans! cheesy
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Pukkah: 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2011
Some nice tips here but won't changing the water while cooking affect the taste?
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Daibiee: 5:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
[i][/i] just kuku avoid beans make only dem (B.H) de chop am. Beans na by force?
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 01, 2011
LWKMD, Y'll are hilarious.
Daibiee:

[i][/i] just kuku avoid beans make only dem (B.H) de chop am. Beans na by force?
daibiee, you cant avoid beans in a country like ours where meat is so expensive, beans is an excellent source of protein at a fraction of the cost of meat,
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
labalaba:

LWKMD,  Y'll are hilarious.daibiee,  you cant avoid beans in a country like ours where meat is so expensive, beans is an excellent source of protein at a fraction of the cost of meat,
There are other sources of protein apart from beans. In fact i do not think beans is so high i protein as we erroneously believe.

I get to eat beans maybe once in two months and i'm okay with that though i'm skinny but then i don't want to get fat.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2011
Brand_new:

There are other sources of protein apart from beans. In fact i do not think beans is so high i protein as we erroneously believe.

I get to eat beans maybe once in two months and i'm okay with that though i'm skinny but then i don't want to get fat.
Bean happens to be one of the highest sources of protein, even when placed in the same category with meat. A cup of BEP has about 10g of protein while soybeans has 68grams. This is all without the added fat and cholesterol that comes with meat.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by tiwantiwa: 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2011
add some little ginger while cooking the beans ,
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
@labalaba  I doubt it. Soya beans has been credited as one of the highest source of protein when it comes to the peas family and soy milk is one of the most nutritious type of milk especially for Vegans .
However, you may be right . I used to love beans until i started suffering from Gas Disorders resulting to heart burns and constipation which never stopped becaue beans was a daily affair  grin back then in my late teenage years.
Until i stopped and i never had the heart burns and constipation again. Don't know about others but it just doesn't work for me.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 01, 2011
Brand New; I strongly believe it's all in the way the beans is cooked, proper cooking eliminates most of the gas issues.
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by armyofone(m): 6:47pm On Sep 01, 2011
Kai labalaba, na so you do am reach till you come open thread for farters?  wink grin
beans don't make me fart but sometime when i mistakenly make my moin moin too watery, i give it out  grin
my only problem is ata rodo that make number 2 hot, not funny at all at all. any thread for that?
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 01, 2011
the flatuliability induced from ingesting this legume is incorrigible shocked
Re: How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans by 234GT(m): 8:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
I eat beans only on days I am not going out, so that I can mess as much as I like. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coke And Pepsi Contain ALCOHOL, - French Research / The Joy Of Kpomo / why do people hate pap (Ogi) so much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.