Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,780 members, 7,875,937 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:33 AM

Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain (32319 Views)

Oba Of Benin Throw Amazing Dancing Steps As Germany Returns Stolen Artefacts (WA / Multinational Companies Exit Nigeria Amid High Operating Cost / Germany Returns 22 Benin Bronze Artifacts To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2022
BigBashiru:

Im glad this is on first page so as many ppl as possible will read it. One more thing, if they stole the arts, they also stole science and technology.. google "timbuktu manuscript" for confirmation of what africans achieved in science and technology that they tried to erase... just as they erased that of the native americans!

Well said. The Timbuktu Manuscripts comprise millions of volumes of written texts in West Africa dated to as far back as the 9th century, and covering every discipline from law to science, astronomy, alchemy, biology, religion, philosophy, and medicine.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by ibkayee(f): 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2022
I just don’t see Nigeria preserving them well. The average Nigerian likely doesn’t care but better to have it back than with Germany, even if someone ends up breaking it on the way on an okada lol

Hopefully they end up in Edo state and I don’t mean Oshiomole’s cupboard. Somewhere they’ll be appreciated, maybe

Monetary compensation would be nice but we all know where that would go

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by FBS: 11:41pm On Dec 20, 2022
Why is Germany doing this now? What exactly are they up to? Pure good will? undecided
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BRATISLAVA: 11:45pm On Dec 20, 2022
Napata77:

Such a display of historical illiteracy and stark ignorance.

The Benin Bronzes were looted from the PALACE OF THE OBA OF BENIN IN 1897. AMONG THE TREASURES ARE ARTEFACTS DATED TO THE 11TH CENTURY, IE 800 YEARS EARLIER.

So, the Palace of the Oba of Benin is not a place that throws its ancient treasures ''into fires to roast snakes'' or whatever ignorant garbage you typed.

So much hot air.

Why would I have to know about German and British owned totems, and a history that is yours?

All the other artefacts that the British didn't preserve for you, the ones they left in Nigeria, where are they and why have they been used to make fires for roasting wildlife? If they were kept by Africans, where are they?
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BRATISLAVA: 11:48pm On Dec 20, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
I just gave u an example of things that still exist that are even older than those bronzes and u are talking rubbish.

Well, you're talking rubbish.

If the British didn't attach value to them and keep them, they wouldn't exist. The same way you sold people as slaves, they would've ended up in their hands anyway. For all we know, they were sold.

You speak of empty palaces that colonials built and restored as if Africans could've done anything with them.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Swiperite: 11:48pm On Dec 20, 2022
If you ask me, I will suggest they keep the artifacts in their museums and send us the revenue generated from visitors.

The items are better cared for over the there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BigBashiru: 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

So much hot air.

Why would I have to know about German and British owned totems, and a history that is yours?

All the other artefacts that the British didn't preserve for you, the ones they left in Nigeria, where are they and why have they been used to make fires for roasting wildlife? If they were kept by Africans, where are they?

on a serious note you are a victim of colonial brainwashing....it takes the grace of God for you to come out of it. Start by stop watching western media and focus on African media and maybe Chinese state media. Secondly read African history written by African authors....you need help bro. Get well soon.

The same Africans that preserved olumo rocks, ogbunike caves and obudu ranch will preserve it.

Secondly those art works if they made it they could also preserve it.

Finally read about the colonization of Canada and from that you will see parallels with what happened in Africa....may God help yr soul

2 Likes

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BigBashiru: 11:52pm On Dec 20, 2022
Swiperite:
If you ask me, I will suggest they keep the artifacts in their museums and send us the revenue generated from visitors.

Read my comment above. Get well soon.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BRATISLAVA: 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2022
BigBashiru:

on a serious note you are a victim of colonial brainwashing....it takes the grace of God for you to come out of it. Start by stop watching western media and focus on African media and maybe Chinese state media. Secondly read African history written by African authors....you need help bro. Get well soon.

The same Africans that preserved olumo rocks, ogbunike caves and obudu ranch will preserve it.

Secondly those art works if they made it they could also preserve it.

Finally read about the colonization of Canada and from that you will see parallels with what happened in Africa....may God help yr soul

Colonial brainwashing? undecided

The only things Africans want are the things that colonials have preserved and monetized for them. On their own, with their original owners, those things were worthless.

Craving colonial benefits, yet denying the truth of colonialism.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by knowhowk: 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2022
COdeGenesis:
I would have preferred them remitting some amount of money from the proceeds gotten from sighting them at the museums. Returning them to Nigeria won't yield any economic value for now. Artifacts like this are not appreciated here
Oga U Deserve an Award for this ...

How many Nigerians would Visit where they are kept here to Pay for Viewing.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BRATISLAVA: 11:55pm On Dec 20, 2022
Swiperite:

Tell that to all the people here who have no plans for these things, except to want to own and possess objects they don't care about and to copy colonial templates for them.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Temptee101(m): 11:56pm On Dec 20, 2022
Wrong decision

They have provided a avenue for thieftinubu, the drug lord to store his drugs

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by ibkayee(f): 11:57pm On Dec 20, 2022
FBS:
Why is Germany doing this now? What exactly are they up to? Pure good will? undecided
Likely of no more value, monetary compensation would be better but it will likely just end up lining another politicians’ pockets
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 12:18am On Dec 21, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

So much hot air.

Olodo, the artefacts are right here in Nigeria in our various museums and palaces, NONE OF WHICH YOU HAVE EVER VISITED IN YOUR LIFE, or know the first thing about.

On the internet, every riffraff mummy's boy with nothing upstairs and zero knowledge can come out and shout about ''Africans''.

Nor be your fault.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 12:32am On Dec 21, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Well, you're talking rubbish.

If the British didn't attach value to them and keep them, they wouldn't exist.

Because you are an ignoramus, you don't know that there are thousands of artefacts in our museums and palaces that are dated to over a thousand years old. How come they ''exist''?!

The same way you sold people as slaves, they would've ended up in their hands anyway. For all we know, they were sold.

Err..no, the Benin treasures were not ''sold''. Benin City was raided, bombed, burned down and looted by the British in 1897, and her treasures carted away in ships.

As for the slave trade, it began by European ships armed with cannon berthing at isolated coastal West African villages and DEMANDING x number of captives or risk bombardment, which forced the people to raid neighbouring villages and clans for captives. That was what began the 'trade', so don't go blaming AFRICANS for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Mercury12(m): 1:06am On Dec 21, 2022
Pathetic
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by themanderon: 1:09am On Dec 21, 2022
observanc1:
but Nigeria is not the only country England colonised. England colonised South Africa, Kenya, Singapore, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada etc move forward, others are moving, and forget the blame game.

You cannot wrong me and hold on to what belongs to me and then want me to act all Sympatico as if nothing happened between us. You have to admit you were wrong and return what belongs to me then we can all forgive the past and move on. The refusal of those Britishers acknowledging and then going ahead to refuse the return of those artifacts smacks of as nothing but pure arrogance.
Most of those colonizers are acknowledging the errors of their ancestors and paying reparations so why the arrogance on their own part?

2 Likes

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by FireUpNow(m): 1:23am On Dec 21, 2022
The European raped Benin Kingdom. Badly. The British are the bigger thieves. I listened to the news on Aljazera where the return of the Benin Bronze artworks was discussed but to my greatest surprise was when a British historian said when these things were taken from Benin, Nigeria as a country wasn't in existence so why should they return them to Nigeria and if they are given back to Nigeria, how are they sure that they will be taken to their place of origin. Someone then asked him to give the items back to the original people who own the items, the Binis, he rejected the proposal. It all shows how the British and Germans stole from Africa. Na dem be real yahoo guys. Those soldiers

3 Likes

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by opius: 1:33am On Dec 21, 2022
They only returns the fake one... God Almighty will judge Britain
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 2:25am On Dec 21, 2022
Swiperite:

Thank heavens we didn't ask you.

2 Likes

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by godofuck231: 3:27am On Dec 21, 2022
No body goes to the museums anymore , the pics are on the Internet, the museum is due to shutdown soon , watch out for updates
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by generalwo(m): 3:42am On Dec 21, 2022
COdeGenesis:
I would have preferred them remitting some amount of money from the proceeds gotten from sighting them at the museums. Returning them to Nigeria won't yield any economic value for now. Artifacts like this are not appreciated here
... Na only people like you no appreciate am.

We the Benin people appreciates every single one of those artifacts because they are a symbol of our history as a people.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by generalwo(m): 3:43am On Dec 21, 2022
Napata77:

Kindly do not use your disgusting racist term on this thread, you tool of racists.
.... What is racist abi what he said?
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Obrigardo: 3:44am On Dec 21, 2022
OkCornel:
Great!

Only if you could discard the media brainwashing to really know how intelligent your ancestors were!

Like the phoenix, Africa shall rise from the ashes and be great again.

Not a coincidence i came across a twitter with your username kinda likely, in a quite deep thread i was reading. User had an african icon dp. Is that you?
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 3:46am On Dec 21, 2022
generalwo:
.... What is racist abi what he said?

The N word is a racist, disgusting and filthy word.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by GoldenGTV(m): 3:54am On Dec 21, 2022
Normal, normal. There ought not to be public ceremony on this but as Africa's wey we be. We are still patting them on the back for bringing back what they looted in the past. Just the way, we do treat our "Polithieftians".
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by AreaFada2: 4:27am On Dec 21, 2022
sotall:

You dont have to display your stupidity for all to see.
Sometimes just pretend like you have sense.
My brother, the thing na follow come.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 4:58am On Dec 21, 2022
femicyrus:
The world had moved to technology while Nigeria should be given back thier artifacts that was a treasure about 125 years ago

Wrong thinking. Even highly industrialised countries do not neglect their history because they've embraced technology.

Japan, UK, China, all invest billions of dollars in maintaining and promoting their historical sites and treasures, and receive billions of dollars in tourism earnings per annum in consequence.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by AreaFada2: 5:07am On Dec 21, 2022
Napata77:

Because you are an ignoramus, you don't know that there are thousands of artefacts in our museums and palaces that are dated to over a thousand years old. How come they ''exist''?!

Err..no, the Benin treasures were not ''sold''. Benin City was raided, bombed, burned down and looted by the British in 1897, and her treasures carted away in ships.

As for the slave trade, it began by European ships armed with cannon berthing at isolated coastal West African villages and DEMANDING x number of captives or risk bombardment, which forced the people to raid neighbouring villages and clans for captives. That was what began the 'trade', so don't go blaming AFRICANS for it.

Please, don't bother educating somebody unwilling to learn. Benin banned slavery centuries before so-called British abolition in 1807. Reason was simple, Benin needed to keep its population growing, to have enough Benin people to administer colonies and fight wars. Common sense. Territories that have certain internal affairs devolved to them decided to continue slave trade. Those people today deny being under Benin control but at least Lagos history still admits it. By 1740s, a French trader seeking slaves to buy recorded that of the roughly 100 slaves displayed for sale between Benin and Gwatto Port, all slaves and their sellers were non-Benin. They were primarily Igbo and Yoruba. That was a written confirmation of how Benin people within the empire were forbidden from buying or selling slave and being bought or sold as slaves.

When Benin prohibited selling slaves, the Europeans imposed an embargo on buying pepper, ivory or other goods from Benin. In turn, Oba of Benin forbade any trade with the Europeans. So began the economic decline of Benin Empire and rise of Oyo Empire and became quite big in 1680s/90s. Oyo was the key slave trading state by now. Today, nobody gives Benin credit for halting slave trade much earlier than any European nation.

People claim that Oba of Benin supported Eleko Kosoko who was a slave trader against Eleko Dosunmu, so Benin supported slavery. But slave trade was a devolved matter and provincial rulers and their people could decide what to do with themselves. Even if Oba wanted slavery stopped throughout the Empire and spheres of influence, how could he have policed such a large part of the Bight of Benin? Obas of Benin back then were pragmatic, astute politicians and made laws carefully. They made laws that could be policed mostly and not too much restrict the cultural practices of non-Benin parts of the empire.

In any case, if the Oba already gave the instrument of office to a provincial ruler/duke, it was uncommon to remove such an instrument unless for some serious issues/violation/rebellion. Oba had no issues with Kosoko. It was the British, with their Royal Navy cannon guns at Lagos Harbour, threatening and fanning embers of division between members of the Eleko family to gain control of Lagos for Queen Victoria.

Since Oba backed Eleko Kosoko, the British backed Dosunmu and ordered Dosunmu not to take orders from Benin anymore. This was in 1861. The British did not rest until until they attacked Benin in 1897, burned it down, looted treasures and removed the only true obstacle they faced in colonising the area now called Nigeria.

Nigerian education is very faulty. Too many poorly enlightened "educated" people.

Gregyboy
UGBE634
Samuk
Etinosa
AutomaticMotors

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by membranus: 6:43am On Dec 21, 2022
God bless Germany for this commendable action.

It remains Britain to restitute all they have stolen from us, including the prizes and the wages of Nigerian slaves forcefully seized by them.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by billyG(m): 6:57am On Dec 21, 2022
Britain are wicked!but this is what some pastors will now call idols,Juju items,Enstone artifacts....abeg @righteousness no b so?
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by goshen26: 6:59am On Dec 21, 2022
I hope we are smart enough to watch those images keenly before bringing them in...

Some tiny chips might be on them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Adegoke Timothy Oludare ‘Disappears’ After Lodging In Hilton Hotels And Resorts / I’m Ready For Probe - Buhari / Karo Illo And Wife On A Power Bike In Delta For State Event - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.