Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,876 members, 7,945,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 06:55 AM

Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria (4025 Views)

Evidence Of How Rivers State Was Rigged - David Hundeyin / Tinubu Slams Ambode: "Ship Of Lagos State Was Heading In The Wrong Direction" / In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 05, 2023
seunmsg:

You’re very ignorant. Abuja is Federal capital territory and not Aso Rock. Abuja as FCT is made up of 6 area councils which include AMAC, Bwari, Kuje, Gwagwalada, Kwali and Abaji. All the area councils are under the control of the FCT administration.

Lagos state was never FCT but Lagos Island. The FCT administration back than had control over only Lagos island while the western region and later Lagos state had control over all the other 19 local governments in the state.

Building MMA in Ikeja is just the same thing as FG building international airports in Kano, Enugu, PH, Ilorin etc. It has nothing to do with FCT.

Stop wasting your time with these helmets. They're so boneheaded they can't unlearn whatever their grandfather told them after a bout of snuff and palm wine.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 05, 2023
emmanuelbrown26:

Now I know that we hv many ignorant fuckers. How could somebody say Lagos was never Capital, where does Lagos Island located? Is it ijebe Ode or what

Wow. Just wow.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 3:47pm On Jan 05, 2023
emmanuelbrown26:

Now I know that we hv many ignorant fuckers. How could somebody say Lagos was never Capital, where does Lagos Island located? Is it ijebe Ode or what

The Dream that turned Lagos into an Economic Power and Super Star was Awolowo's Dream

And you know how you hated Awolowo with your heart and soul for his Visionary leadership

Awolowo was Jailed for that Dream

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 4:10pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

The Map was perfectly Correct

Lagos Mainland was part of Ikeja LGA before the War

Ikeja and Ikeja LGA was built by Awolowo not Gowon

Ikeja before the War included all the Coast Of Lagos except for Lagos Island

Ikeja LGA included the entrance to Lagos Harbour

Apapa, Tin Can Island , Ebutte Meta, Iddo Island were all n Ikeja LGA before the War

Lagos the FCT ended at Apongbon Bridge on Lagos Island

The rest of Lagos was in Awolowo’s Western Region

Any FG buildings in the Western Region Lagos we’re allowed on land leased from the Western Region only

as a Favour to help the FG because it had completely run out of Space on the Lagos Island

It didn’t change the Status Of the Western Region Side Of Lagos Which is at least 97% of

today’s Lagos

All of today’s Metropolitan Lagos was Politically and Militarily under the Ijebu and Egbas Of
Abeokuta when the British Arrived in Nigeria though the Egba controlled Areas actually belonged to the Yoruba Awori
The Oyo Army controlled Badagry Area , Seme Border And Porto-Novo. In Benin Republic
and Yoruba Awori fully controlled Lagos Island

There are some inaccuracies here.
There was nothing like Ikeja LGA before Lagos state. We had Ikeja division
Not clear what you mean by Metropolitan Lagos or which Egba or Ijebu group controlled it
Apapa Tin Can Iddo are all part of Lagos division and former FCT territory.Nothing to do with Ikeja
Lagos state historically is made up of 5 divisions
Lagos Awori
Ikeja Awori
Badagry
Epe Ijebu
Ikorodu Ijebu
The boundary of the FCT was Idi Oro .Yaba, Ebute Metta,Apapa were all part of the FCT
Oyo army control Badagry? When ?

The claim that 97% of today's Lagos was Western Region is wrong
4 of 5 divisions were but not Lagos Division which included Amuwo Odofin.Eti Osa,Apapa.Lagos Island and Lagos Mainland up to Idi Oro

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 4:21pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
There are some inaccuracies here.
There was nothing like Ikeja LGA before Lagos state. We had Ikeja division
Not clear what you mean by Metropolitan Lagos or which Egba or Ijebu group controlled it
Apapa Tin Can Iddo are all part of Lagos division and former FCT territory.Nothing to do with Ikeja
Lagos state historically is made up of 5 divisions
Lagos Awori
Ikeja Awori
Badagry
Epe Ijebu
Ikorodu Ijebu
The boundary of the FCT was Idi Oro .Yaba, Ebute Metta,Apapa were all part of the FCT
Oyo army control Badagry? When ?

The claim that 97% of today's Lagos was Western Region is wrong
4 of 5 divisions were but not Lagos Division which included Amuwo Odofin.Eti Osa,Apapa.Lagos Island and Lagos Mainland up to Idi Oro

I agree with Ikeja division because I was trying to remember it's exact name that was why I called it Ikeja LGA

Ikeja Division actually included many Areas not part of.Ikeja LGA Today

The Oyo Army Controlled Badagry when the
British Colonial Masters Arrived

Badagry and Porto Novo were the Alaafin of Oyo's Sea Ports the Trade route between Badagry and Oyo was called the Egbado Corridor and was Protected by the Oyo Army

Even Cotonou was under the Alaafin of Oyo
It was while while the Oyo's were busy fighting Power Drunk Afonja and the Fulani at Ilorin that the Dahomey seized the opportunity to recapture Cotonou and it has belonged to Dahomey since then, the King of Dahomey threw everything he had to try to capture Badagry and Porto Novo but the Oyo's held onto it firmly

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 4:29pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

I agree with Ikeja division because I was trying to remember it's exact name that was why I called it Ikeja LGA

Ikeja Division actually included many Areas not part of.Ikeja Today
In 1979 each state including Lagos state had 5 senators corresponding to the 5 divisions
Ikeja division included Isolo.Mushin,Oshodi etc
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 4:34pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

Ikeja Division actually included many Areas not part of.Ikeja Today

The Oyo Army Controlled Badagry when the
British Colonial Masters Arrived

Badagry and Porto Novo were the Alaafin of Oyo's Sea Ports the Trade route between Badagry and Oyo was called the Egbado Corridor
I see you edited
You really do not know what you are talking about
Oyo that did not control Ibadan controlled Badagry?I
That is nonsense. Where did you get that from?
Oyo never controlled Ijebu so how did they control Badagry
When the British arrived Oyo empire was defunct. Ibadan was a more significant force
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by emmanuelbrown26: 4:41pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

The Dream that turned Lagos into an Economic Power and Super Star was Awolowo's Dream

And you know how you hated Awolowo with your heart and soul for his Visionary leadership

Awolowo was Jailed for that Dream
We are not talking about PA Awolowo here. We are talking about what an ignoramus like op posted.
Telling d world that Lagos state was never a capital of Nigeria is shame to d op and those that paid for his school fees.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 4:54pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:

I see you edited
You really do not know what you are talking about
Oyo that did not control Ibadan controlled Badagry?I
That is nonsense. Where did you get that from?
Oyo never controlled Ijebu so how did they control Badagry
When the British arrived Oyo empire was defunct. Ibadan was a more significant force

The Oyo controlled the Egbado Corridor in the West that leads to Oyo through Ilaro and the Ibarapa Region

You do know that the Ilaro are also Ethnic Oyos?

So you don't know that the Ibadan are Ethnic Oyos and till today the Olubadan is still a Subject king of the Alaafin of Oyo?

The Ibadan Army were the foot Soldiers of the Alaafin of Oyo that fought his Wars for him with their full Chest

Let me even shock you more

Under Basorun Gaa and Alaafin Abiodun the almost all of Dahomey, Togo and the Accra Area of Ghana were under the Alaafin of Oyo

Below is the Map Of the Oyo Empire

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 5:07pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

Shocking!!

So you don't know that the Ibadan are Ethnic Oyos and till today the Olubadan is still a Subject king of the Alaafin of Oyo?

The Ibadan Army were the foot Soldiers of the Alaafin of Oyo that fought his Wars for him with their full Chest

Let me even shock you more

Under Basorun Gaa and Alaafin Abiodun the almost all of Dahomey, Togo and the Accra Area of Ghana were under the Alaafin of Oyo

Omode ni n se o
what is the relevance that they are ethnic Oyo?
It is not relevant
Please stop introducing irrelevancies
Oyo is not Ibadan.
Neither was in control of Badagry when the British came.
There never was a time that Oyo succeeded in subduing the whole of what is now called Yoruba
Please explain what you mean by Olubadan being subject king?
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 5:18pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:

Omode ni n se o
what is the relevance that they are ethnic Oyo?
It is not relevant
Please stop introducing irrelevancies
Oyo is not Ibadan.
Neither was in control of Badagry when the British came.
There never was a time that Oyo succeeded in subduing the whole of what is now called Yoruba
Please explain what you mean by Olubadan being subject king?

If they were not Ethnic Oyos the Ibadan wouldn’t be subjects of the Alaafin in the first Place

The Alaafin Of Oyo is the Olubadans overlord till today

In English it means that The Alaafin Of Oyo is the Olubadans Father

Why do you think they call it Oyo State ?

Almost everyone there are Ethnic Oyos

That Oyo controlled Badagry and Egbado is beyond debate go and read the text books

It was Aare Ona Kankanfo Oyabi that Won both Badagry And Porto Novo from the King Of Dahomey

The Alaafin made Oyabi the Aare Ona Kakanfo as his reward

It is common knowledge that the Egun Of Badagry were under the Protection of the Alaafin Of Oyo

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 5:26pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:

In 1979 each state including Lagos state had 5 senators corresponding to the 5 divisions
Ikeja division included Isolo.Mushin,Oshodi etc

I was talking about 1960

97% of Lagos was inside the Western Region

Even Lagos Island was Geographically in the Western Region but under the FG Control

Amuwo Odofin,Ijora Ebute Metta Etc were all Western Region Territory on Land the FG had leased since it had no space left on the Island
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

It they were not Ethnic Oyos they wouldn’t be subjects of the Alaafin in the first Place

The Alaafin Of Oyo is the Olubadans overlord till today

In English it means that The Alaafin Of Oyo is the Olubadans Father

Why do you think they call it Oyo State ?

Almost everyone there are Ethnic Oyos
You are making baseless assumptions
Why do they call it Oyo state? What a stupid question?
How old are you?
Was Osun not carved out of Oyo state?
Why do they call it Ondo state? By your logic Ondo Are majority? But the whole of Ekiti was carved of Ondo state
It is clear you are a kid
Are Ilorin not ethnic Oyo? Are there not ethnic Oyo in Benin republic? Are Ilorin not originally ethnic Oyo
Are Oyo the only ethnic Yoruba? What about Ijebu did you ever read that Awujale was paramount ruler of Ijebus ? Did Awujale rule Ikorodu and Epe?
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 5:35pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

I was talking about 1960
in 1960 there was Ikeja LGA?
Or what is your point?
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 5:35pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
You are making baseless assumptions
Why do they call it Oyo state? What a stupid question?
How old are you?
Was Osun not carved out of Oyo state?
Why do they call it Ondo state? By your logic Ondo Are majority? But the whole of Ekiti was carved of Ondo state
It is clear you are a kid
Are Ilorin not ethnic Oyo? Are there not ethnic Oyo in Benin republic? Are Ilorin not originally ethnic Oyo
Are Oyo the only ethnic Yoruba? What about Ijebu did you ever read that Awujale was paramount ruler of Ijebus ? Did Awujale rule Ikorodu and Epe?

Even much of Osun are Ethnic Oyo

except Ife,,Ijesha, ila
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 5:36pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

Even much of Osun are Ethnic Oyo

Save Ife,Ijesha, ila
what is your point?
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 5:37pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
what is your point?

When Old Oyo Capital Of Katanga Collapsed the Ibadan rose to Continue leading the Oyos

Badagry was under Oyo ask any Egun person

Oyo was an Empire Of many Towns which survived the Jihad and sent it packing

The Oyos lived in at least 100 different Towns

Even the Egbas were originally Oyos before they rebelled under lisabi and become independent
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 5:47pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

When Old Oyo Capital Of Katanga Collapsed the Ibadan rose to Continue leading the Oyos

Badagry was under Oyo ask any Egun person

Oyo was an Empire Of many Towns which survived the Jihad and sent it packing

The Oyos lived in at least 100 different Towns

Even the Egbas were originally Oyos before they rebelled under lisabi and become independent
Ibadan is not Oyo just like The US is not England.
You are talking nonsense
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 5:55pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
Ibadan is not Oyo just like The US is not England.
You are talking nonsense

Go and ask the Olubadan who his boss is

When the Kiriji Treaty was signed it was the Alaafin that even signed on behalf of the Ibadan as their Sovereign Overlord

It was the Alaafin that made Aare Oluyole the Basorun which is the Prime minister of the Oyo Kingdom
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 6:02pm On Jan 05, 2023
Sammy07:
Yulp,

Lol, I see many people say that, anyways I always try my best to educate them.

Many have forgotten that the first industrial estate in Nigeria was built by Awolowo and was located in Ikeja under the then Western Region.

Ikeja, ikorodu many mainlands are under Western Region occupied majorly by Ijebu and Awori people .

A fact check on all those grandmas (64 yrs and above) birth certificate in those axis will never read LAGOS STATE, instead, it will read WESTERN REGION

What’d you expect to see, Lagos Region?? grin
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2023
olisaEze:

What’d you expect to see, Lagos Region?? grin
Lagos Colony had a different legal status from Nigeria and used a different passport pre 1960
The whole territory was known as
Colony(Lagos) and Protectorate of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 7:11pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
Lagos Colony had a different legal status from Nigeria and used a different passport pre 1960

Lagos colony was incorporated into the new Southern Nigeria Protectorate in February 1906, and Lagos became the capital of the Protectorate of Nigeria in January 1914.
So what’s your point??
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
olisaEze:

Lagos colony was incorporated into the new Southern Nigeria Protectorate in February 1906, and Lagos became the capital of the Protectorate of Nigeria in January 1914.
So what’s your point??
incorporated? Was this with CAC or whom?
We are talking legally so it is important to use correct terminology
Two questions
1.What was the official title of the entity that was created in 1914?
2. What was the legal difference between Colony and Protectorate?
I have seen colonial passports issued in the 50s
Those issued to people born in Lagos Colony were different from the rest of Nigeria
https://www.whatpassport.com/countries/United-Kingdom/Passport_and_Nationality/Citizen_of_the_UK_and_Colonies_Passport_(CUKC)
Even after independence they were entitled to automatic British citizenship

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 9:12pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
incorporated? Was this with CAC or whom?
We are talking legally so it is important to use correct terminology

Two questions
1.What was the official title of the entity that was created in 1914?
2. What was the legal difference between Colony and Protectorate?
I have seen colonial passports issued in the 50s
Those issued to people born in Lagos Colony were different from the rest of Nigeria
https://www.whatpassport.com/countries/United-Kingdom/Passport_and_Nationality/Citizen_of_the_UK_and_Colonies_Passport_(CUKC)
Even after independence they were entitled to automatic British citizenship

I didn’t make up the terminology, it’s there in black & white. grin

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 9:57pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:

Do you realise that Abeokuta,Ibadan and Ilorin Ekiti Akure were all part of the Lagos Colony ?
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 10:05pm On Jan 05, 2023
olisaEze:

I didn’t make up the terminology, it’s there in black & white. grin
Did you read what you posted?
Did you comprehend it?
It contradicts you and butresses my point.
Do not go around pasting links without comprehension
Colony And Protectorate of Nigeria was the official title
Lagos was the "Colony" referred to in the official exonym
People born in Lagos before 1982 are entitled to British citizenship and this extends to their children. if you doubt this search and understand the difference between Protectorate and colony

https://www.whatpassport.com/countries/Nigerian-Colony-(now-part-of-Nigeria)

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by christistruth01: 10:09pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
Did you comprehend it?
People born in Lagos before 1982 are entitled to British citizenship and this extends to their children. if you doubt this search and understand the difference between Protectorate and colony

Let me burst your Bubble

Those who were born in Todays Osun State who travelled abroad before 1960 Oct 1 were all issued Proper British Passports when they Traveled abroad

Osun was part of the Lagos Colony

People who were born in Lagos before 1982 were not British Citizens where did you get that nonsense from
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 10:15pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

Let me burst your Bubble

Those who were born in Todays Osun State who travelled abroad before 1960 Oct 1 were all issued Proper British Passports when they Traveled abroad

Irrelevant
I am not interested in childish bubble bursting games.
I am just establishing a txt that Lagos had a different status under British law.You can take time to learn something you is not know before also that I said did not refer to Lagos state but the Colony
That is the former FCT
In tune with the topic of this thread
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 10:17pm On Jan 05, 2023
christistruth01:

Let me burst your Bubble

People who were born in Lagos before 1982 were not British Citizens where did you get that nonsense from

England stopped issuing citizenship to Nigerians born in England from 1982, I think that’s where he got it mixed up.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 10:22pm On Jan 05, 2023
olisaEze:

England stopped issuing citizenship to Nigerians born in England from 1982, I think that’s where he got it mixed up.
You are the on getting mixed up
I am talking about people born in the Colony of Lagos .after 1948
1981 was a watershed moment after Margaret Thatcher came to power and passed immigration law reform affecting not only those born in the UK but CROWN POSSESSION S one of which was Colony of Lagos not to be confused with Lagos stat.
This is a free lesson in history you should be grateful
Nigeria was a Protectorate not a Colony or Crown possession
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 10:24pm On Jan 05, 2023
omonnakoda:
Did you comprehend it?

Before 1960, the entity Nigeria was a British colony, made up of the Southern & Northern Protectorate. With its Administrative hq in Lagos. The Governor-General of the country, Nigeria, after the amalgamation of the Southern & Northern protectorates resided in Lagos, no where else. So correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems as if lagos was already playing the role of capital of the country.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 10:44pm On Jan 05, 2023
olisaEze:

Before 1960, the entity Nigeria was a British colony, made up of the Southern & Northern Protectorate. With its Administrative hq in Lagos. The Governor-General of the country, Nigeria, after the amalgamation of the Southern & Northern protectorates resided in Lagos, no where else. So correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems as if lagos was already playing the role of capital of the country.
You argue blndly.
Colony as a word has a legal and ordinary lay meaning
In British law 1914 there is a difference between a Protectorate and a Colony
Humbly take time to inquire
The exonym for Nigeria was
The Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria.
The Colony=The Colony of Lagos
In British law there were fundamental differences. The Colony Treaty for Lagos made it a Crown Possession/dependent Territory.This is relevant here to distinguish Colony from other parts of Lagos State (Protectorate)and that is why the passport issue is relevant
These links should help
https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-overseas-territories-citizen

All of this should help us understand what was CAPITAL OF NIGERIA=LAGOS COLONY
Not Lagos State

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu Gives Judges 35billion Naira / Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? / Pdp Says Jonathan Can Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.