Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,490 members, 7,892,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 03:18 AM

Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student (2714 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by Bedos(m): 11:32am On Aug 27, 2007
Little did I know when I applied to Nottingham univ. that I would be offered an admission talkless of being granted
a scholarship for an MSc program.

To cut a long story short, I was given 75% of tuition and when I discussed the matter with my school here in Nigeria, one of the private schools in Nigeria, they agreed to sponsor the remaining 25%.

Now that I have gotten a student visa, the big proble is How will raise the money to cover my living expenses such as accommondation, food etc which the school estimates to be about 700 pounds per month?

I dont want to lose this opportunity, that is why, I solicite for constructive advice on how I can survive over there by getting a job while studying to help me defray this expenses.

Some of my concerns are:
- Does anyone in the house know more about Univesrity of Nottingham or lives around Boningtnon in Nottinghmashire? I intend to be there first or second week of September for my masters program. I intend to stay off-campus because the accommodation fee for the hostel is kind of expensive.
- I also want to know the types of jobs available. Can it be possible to get a job enough to pay one's accommodation, travel and upkeep. Which the school estimated to be around 700 pounds per month? Just by working 20 hours a week? I dont mind to train and work as an health care assistant.

Thank you and God bless.
If need be kindly email me at excobedo@myway.com
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by funkybaby(f): 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2007
@bedo

congratulations. you are lucky.  smiley

don't mind these schools jare. the living expenses are sometimes over exagerrated.  angry

all you have to do is cut your coat according to your size. what you need now is survival tips from the 'ijebu' wink point of view.

i do not know much about notthingham but the same survival tips apply to most parts of UK and scotland.

regarding accommodation, if you search ''well well', through newspapers, (going through estate agents will cost you more money because you have to pay for their commission and adminstrative charges), you should see a house of about £250-£300 monthly. you might even be lucky to meet someone at your school that you guys can share the room together, so thats about £150 monthly

try and get a room as close to your university as possible. this way you will spend less on accommodation. if you enjoy walking (which you must learn to in UK), you can get a place within 20 mins walk to your school.

don't worry about food. with £20, go to tesco. bag go full, hand go pay you.
tip: stick to products made exclusively for tesco stores, they are cheaper. wink

don't get a contract phone just yet. stick to pay as you go, until you find your feet. those things are attractive o! especially all the ''100 free minutes, etc', but don't get tempted. Even if you are, stick to a £25 monthly contract. even if you exceed your free minutes, at least an extra £5-£10 should cover that. 

now, regarding job, almost the same thing applies in all parts of UK.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-71734.0.html
go through this link, it will help. since the school is giving you 75% scholarship, talk them into getting a job for you with them. it might be security or something small on a part-time basis.

hmm. the 20hrs per week issue. do all the work you can during the weekend.ie. long hours. then try to get jobs at pubs, bars, etc. they offer ''cash at hand''. so, your NI is not affected.

so don't be worried, it might be tough and rough initially, but with the Grace and Favour of God, He will see you through.  smiley cheesy

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by timx(m): 3:29pm On Aug 27, 2007
@funkybaby

u r just too good to be true. if everyone was to act like u life will be much easier. I want to commend u for ur time n effort in dissecting issues that have been of great concern to nairalanders. Well, kudos to u and more "grease" ehn, no sorry, crude oil to ur elbows. U will surely find favour i the eyes of Men.

Astalavista, Baby!!!!!! wink

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by D1O(m): 7:31pm On Aug 27, 2007
@funkybaby
hey sis this isnt fair. u've given this guy more survival lessons than you've given me. remember we had deal, not fairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr embarassed
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by Vicjustice: 8:26pm On Aug 27, 2007
funkybaby:

@bedo

congratulations. you are lucky. smiley

don't mind these schools jare. the living expenses are sometimes over exagerrated. angry

all you have to do is cut your coat according to your size. what you need now is survival tips from the 'ijebu' wink point of view.

i do not know much about notthingham but the same survival tips apply to most parts of UK and scotland.

regarding accommodation, if you search ''well well', through newspapers, (going through estate agents will cost you more money because you have to pay for their commission and adminstrative charges), you should see a house of about £250-£300 monthly. you might even be lucky to meet someone at your school that you guys can share the room together, so thats about £150 monthly

try and get a room as close to your university as possible. this way you will spend less on accommodation. if you enjoy walking (which you must learn to in UK), you can get a place within 20 mins walk to your school.

don't worry about food. with £20, go to tesco. bag go full, hand go pay you.
tip: stick to products made exclusively for tesco stores, they are cheaper. wink

don't get a contract phone just yet. stick to pay as you go, until you find your feet. those things are attractive o! especially all the ''100 free minutes, etc', but don't get tempted. Even if you are, stick to a £25 monthly contract. even if you exceed your free minutes, at least an extra £5-£10 should cover that.

now, regarding job, almost the same thing applies in all parts of UK.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-71734.0.html
go through this link, it will help. since the school is giving you 75% scholarship, talk them into getting a job for you with them. it might be security or something small on a part-time basis.

hmm. the 20hrs per week issue. do all the work you can during the weekend.ie. long hours. then try to get jobs at pubs, bars, etc. they offer ''cash at hand''. so, your NI is not affected.

so don't be worried, it might be tough and rough initially, but with the Grace and Favour of God, He will see you through. smiley cheesy

Cheers!
Very thoughtful, it covers it all
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by Bedos(m): 11:47am On Aug 28, 2007
@funkybaby
God sees all the good things you are doing to make the life of your bothers and sisters worthy a living. I am short of words on how to thank you enough for your kindness, concern, encouragement and love. May God reward you in His riches in Glory. You are highly blessed. Those points are noted.

@D10
Don't worry, we are all brothers here, aren't we? What you needed you have gotten it and that's what matters. If not that she could have used other means to reach me but she chose to make it public for your benefit too. Let's keep on thanking God for having our sister Funkbaby to bless all of us. So congats once again.
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by Bulga(m): 1:29pm On Aug 28, 2007
Ladies & gents,

Funkybaby is truly a wonderful sister. She is one in a million. My prayer is that it shall be well with her.
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by DisGuy: 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2007
amen

be careful with jobs that offer to pay cash in hand, they are more likely to pay you below minimum wage and treat you anyhow; basically you wont be covered by law
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 29, 2007
well said funky

Bedos

have you tried browsing to find out a bit more about the area you are moving to

do you have relatives to stay with at first before you move to school or at least some one to pick u up at the airport

I know for vicinities outside london transport can be a little quirky

Hold some money with you especially small change like coins so you can make calls at the phone booth when you arrive

Bros at least you tuition is covered thats one BIG burden off your shoulders
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by walenchy11: 9:19pm On Aug 30, 2007
Book your US visa appointment for just N15,000 within 1 week. Leave your information now pay when we secure appointment for you. Above price is negotiable if you are booking more than 3 appointment. Mail me if you are interested at olofintuade@gmail.com.

For Nigerians only
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by funkybaby(f): 5:51pm On Sep 04, 2007
@all

nice to know that my advice is useful and appreciated by all.

I say a mighty AMEN to all your prayers.

no be by my power, na God.

D10, sorry jare. but am sure you found the tips helpful as well.

vicjustice. bros, how far? wetin dey? grin

cheers.  smiley
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by Vicjustice: 6:04pm On Sep 04, 2007
I dey kamkpe, and i hope you too dey more kamkpe smiley
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by nedujizzy(m): 10:53am On Sep 10, 2007
@ funkybaby
hello funkybaby,i have been seeing the tips that you ve been giving to UK visa applicants and am really impressed, please i need your help urgently,i am applying for my masters degree in the Uk and the school has a tuition fee of 1500 pounds,with that kind of fee is it possible to get a UK visa here in Nigeria,please reply as soon as possible before i make a big mistake,thanks a lot.
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by guseman(m): 11:40pm On Sep 11, 2007
@nedujezzy
if you dont mind, can you let me know the school details. i am interested in such school with that kind of tuition fees.pls
i will like to see what they have to offer
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by D1O(m): 6:20am On Sep 12, 2007
i think you guys should worry about the accreditation status of these cheap schools cos if they arent listed in the DfES, then you might just be wasting your money. Basically, the school should be a bona fide memeber of DfES and should typically have a webaddress or email that ends in .ac.uk.

Please be careful, people
Re: Advice Needed As How To Survive In Uk As A Student by guseman(m): 1:55pm On Sep 12, 2007
@D1O
Noted.I really appreciate that grin

(1) (Reply)

Got Admission Into A Sweden University Gor January Admission,what Next,: / Ancestry Visa To The Uk / Food Items You Can Travel With From Nigeria To Europe, Most Especially Italy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.