Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,219 members, 7,873,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:22 PM

Yoruba Speakers Help Me! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Speakers Help Me! (1314 Views)

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Can Any Ibo or Yoruba Speakers Help Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by Malstrom(m): 10:51am On Sep 07, 2011
This is my story,
Im born in Sweden far away from my roots but got the name Odou. My father has the name Odou and so did my granddad and great granddad.

After asking my aunties I found out that Odou is short for Odoumusu or "Odumosu", and also that my Great granddad was a Yoruba man born in Abeokuta!
When I search for Odumosu on Google I get lots of hits on people from the town of Abeokuta.

So my question is could anyone help me to figure out what my name means?  I have been wondering all my life!

Please help me!  grin
Re: Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 11, 2011
You should email some people with the last name on facebook. i knew some people named that growing up but i have no clue what the name means,
Re: Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by aljharem3: 3:24am On Oct 11, 2011
Re: Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by aljharem3: 3:37am On Oct 11, 2011
Re: Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by Amujale(m): 12:47am On Oct 12, 2011
Please do NOT take offence with my response, but i was going to second ATLgal and add also that so that you'll  "mo iyi" to the fullest my advice is you to take up a crash course or two in the basics of the Yoruba language. I think there are e-courses on the internet that could give you a head start.

My recommendation is  [b]Colloquial Yorub[/b]a - Colloquial Series by Yetunde Folarin (Note: Accompanying audio material is available to purchase separately on CD/MP3 format) - and this is NOT an advert, because i dont have vested interest.

http://isbndb.com/d/book/colloquial_yoruba.html

Goodluck!
Re: Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by amor4ce(m): 8:00am On Oct 12, 2011
@Amujale, do you know of any Yoruba language course and/or text that teaches Yoruba vocabulary by breaking words into their roots? in mm opinion understanding Yoruba words is easier when we can understand the meaning of the syllables. For instance, how many Yoruba-speaking people can translate "Olodumare" and "eniyan" into English?
Re: Yoruba Speakers Help Me! by Amujale(m): 3:29pm On Oct 13, 2011
amor4ce:

do you know of any Yoruba language course and/or text that teaches Yoruba vocabulary by breaking words into their roots? in mm opinion understanding Yoruba words is easier when we can understand the meaning of the syllables. For instance, how many Yoruba-speaking people can translate "Olodumare" and "eniyan" into English?

Now those are great points! Food for thought. . .

(1) (Reply)

Proud Hausa Boy / Have You Ever Been Racially Abused,if Yes How Did You Felt/reacted / Igbo Culture: Misconception Of The Ancient 'osu' Caste - Godwin C. Nwaogwugwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.