Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:40 PM

My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. (38944 Views)

My Girlfriend Wants Us To Wear Same Attire To Her Niece traditional marriage / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 03, 2023
ahnie:

Rest in Jesus name.

Amen

Amen!

1 Like

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by ahnie: 1:31pm On Feb 03, 2023
tydi:

You keep recycling these old lines . Say something reasonable for once.
I told you nothing but the truth and it hurts I know. Una women na problem of una fellow women . And don't pour your frustrations on me channel it to voting in the right leaders come feb 25
Tochukwu Asim mechie onu hi ebea.rie nsi.
I nu go?Asim nkita racha onugi there.

You want to form for who?
If I hear pim again from you,I would go to pregnancy thread,and dig up your past and paste here as evidence.

E be like say you dey ment abii?
I look like saphireprincex aka Benny for your smoked filled iris?

Your matter still dey hang for literature section, your full life story.

I m saying it again,if you ur mama born you well,like she seriously born you well,oga try quote this post again and see me bring out evidences to nail you.

I nor know why una nor dey like respect una selves....form for people wey nor know you
Stupid druggie

Bia nwoke'm,don't kpasi mu iwe o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Akporuka(m): 1:32pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sonnobax15:
Today, a friend of mine invited me to the traditional marriage ceremony of his brother in-law......

After travelling for over 2hours via my keke, so we finally got to our destination.

After exchanging pleasantries, kola nuts and other traditional rites were done,then it was left for the main dowry which was #2000.
It was then the bigger problem came because the groom's family didn't come with cash. They insisted on doing transfer but the bride's family insisted on it, saying it must be paid with cash.

Omoh, the whole thing became funny grin. The bride's elder brother kept insisting on it until a POS attendant was invited into the situation.The dowry's money was later withdrawn and paid in cash.

Now, my question is, is it right to pay Bride price via transfer considering the new currency policy that's affecting everyone at this moment? Or the groom's family could have withdrawn the money and kept it until the D-day while it was crystal clear it could have expired due to the deadline of the naira swap?

Mods abeg make una shift this thread to the permanent site so that make other enlightened nairaladers for torchlight the matter small.
wonder shall never end.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by GerogeI(m): 1:35pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sonnobax15:
Today, a friend of mine invited me to the traditional marriage ceremony of his brother in-law......

After travelling for over 2hours via my keke, so we finally got to our destination.

After exchanging pleasantries, kola nuts and other traditional rites were done,then it was left for the main dowry which was #2000.
It was then the bigger problem came because the groom's family didn't come with cash. They insisted on doing transfer but the bride's family insisted on it, saying it must be paid with cash.

Omoh, the whole thing became funny grin. The bride's elder brother kept insisting on it until a POS attendant was invited into the situation.The dowry's money was later withdrawn and paid in cash.

Now, my question is, is it right to pay Bride price via transfer considering the new currency policy that's affecting everyone at this moment? Or the groom's family could have withdrawn the money and kept it until the D-day while it was crystal clear it could have expired due to the deadline of the naira swap?

Mods abeg make una shift this thread to the permanent site so that make other enlightened nairaladers for torchlight the matter small.
Bride price is not really a payment, but a commitment symbol. You are not buying a wife, rather you are saying that you have means to take care of a wife, and you are willing to commit your resources to her well being.

Because its symbolic, the value is in the visualization of the payment, not the value of the paltry sum. As such you should do it in cash not by bank transfer in which case the comunity did not see or observe or witness your commitment.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by charlesdinho7(m): 1:38pm On Feb 03, 2023
paying brideprice through transfer is not sensible at all. it must be cash
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 03, 2023
Cashless policy will wreck many traditional marriage rites, no more spraying cash again.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by adeniyi65(m): 1:47pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:
It is common sense that the bride price is presented physically. I am sure you saw the money change hands, probably from him, to his father, to the eldest man in her family and to her own father. Everyone would see it live and agree it was paid. These are rituals that a transfer doesn’t help.

The father might keep it somewhere safely, because some of them DO NOT spend it. Any day yawa starts, he would bring it out from his old box.

What is N2000 that a serious minded man who knew he would be getting married since 2018 couldn’t get? Among his ENTOURAGE, no single person had N2000? Collectively they also couldn’t raise N2000? What a set…

Was there any elder in their midst? This is why you younglings should go close to your elders/parents. Watch African Magic, you say it is local. Now you are acting like aliens at a trad. There are things you don’t learn from American feem and South Korean soaps.
Quite solid and resourceful points.i didn't know you are endowed to this realm of affair.what you were known for is a staunch feminism advocate.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Toneypen247(m): 1:55pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:
It is common sense that the bride price is presented physically. I am sure you saw the money change hands, probably from him, to his father, to the eldest man in her family and to her own father. Everyone would see it live and agree it was paid. These are rituals that a transfer doesn’t help.

The father might keep it somewhere safely, because some of them DO NOT spend it. Any day yawa starts, he would bring it out from his old box.

What is N2000 that a serious minded man who knew he would be getting married since 2018 couldn’t get? Among his ENTOURAGE, no single person had N2000? Collectively they also couldn’t raise N2000? What a set…

Was there any elder in their midst? This is why you younglings should go close to your elders/parents. Watch African Magic, you say it is local. Now you are acting like aliens at a trad. There are things you don’t learn from American feem and South Korean soaps.

Quite educative 💯
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Nnamaka1: 2:00pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sonnobax15:

Let's do it as they use to do it, to fulfill the tradition. Collecting cash symbolizes something. Don't break tradition
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by DaSailor: 2:01pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:

The groom and his family no serious at all, he must have had the list before going to his in-laws and he must have known that for dowry, the money is cash and not transfer.
In my own place, all monies needed are enveloped and labelled accordingly, as my inlaws dey ask na so my papa dey bring the envelopes out to give dem. As you rightly mentioned, so amongst the groom's entourage dem no fit raise urgent 2k, abi? If not for anything, but to show your love and seriousness the dowry suppose be in new notes!
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kaycee9242(m): 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:

What you said here has shown that you are the one who needs to learn the tradition, even if those with him had the 2k they can't give it to him because bride price need to come from the groom pocket. Collecting from someone else means that the person married the wife for you.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kaycee9242(m): 2:12pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. grin. Dude,I just came back from the bank to remit my normal *BALANCING*. So I no get shishi with me cheesy

Guy see even if you had the 2k it will be wrong for you to give it to him, traditionally that 2k is suppose to come from the groom pocket if not you can claim tomorrow that you married the wife for him.

Paying of that bride price is the most important aspect of marriage and due procedure has to be followed
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by pocohantas(f): 2:14pm On Feb 03, 2023
Kaycee9242:

What you said here has shown that you are the one who needs to learn the tradition, even if those with him had the 2k they can't give it to him because bride price need to come from the groom pocket. Collecting from someone else means that the person married the wife for you.

Indeed… I guess the POS vendor married the wife for him then. Dey play…

DaSailor:

The groom and his family no serious at all, he must have had the list before going to his in-laws and he must have known that for dowry, the money is cash and not transfer.
In my own place, all monies needed are enveloped and labelled accordingly, as my inlaws dey ask na so my papa dey bring the envelopes out to give dem. As you rightly mentioned, so amongst the groom's entourage dem no fit raise urgent 2k, abi? If not for anything, but to show your love and seriousness the dowry suppose be in new notes!

Very unserious. The bride really picked this one…
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kaycee9242(m): 2:17pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. grin. Dude,I just came back from the bank to remit my normal *BALANCING*. So I no get shishi with me cheesy

Guy see even if you had the 2k it will be wrong for you to give it to him, traditionally that 2k is suppose to come from the groom pocket if not you can claim tomorrow that you married the wife for him.

Paying of that bride price is the most important aspect of marriage and due procedure has to be followed
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kaycee9242(m): 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2023
[quote author=pocohantas post=120602690]

Indeed… I guess the POS vendor married the wife for him then. Dey play…

he used his Card to collect his money from pos same way he would have done in bank or atm machine, its different from borrowing or collecting from someone, try and get close to your elders and learn tradition
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by pocohantas(f): 2:30pm On Feb 03, 2023
Kaycee9242:
he used his Card to collect his money from pos same way he would have done in bank or atm machine, its different from borrowing or collecting from someone, try and get close to your elders and learn tradition

He can also collect from a friend and pay back. Stop playing!! No be you go teach me tradition.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kaycee9242(m): 2:33pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:

He can also collect from a friend and pay back. Stop playing!! No be you go teach me tradition.

How will it sound that you borrowed money to marry? It will be misinterpreted that he ran out of money. It seems you have not seen where men yab their fellow men. Paying of bride price is the most aspect of marriage and tradition has to be followed carefully
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by drololaaof: 2:36pm On Feb 03, 2023
Marriage is not online business na, why not make adequate preparation for all the required materials for the marriage. If it is church or mosque are you going to do online transfer?
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by pocohantas(f): 2:37pm On Feb 03, 2023
Kaycee9242:

How will it sound that you borrowed money to marry? It will be misinterpreted that he ran out of money. It seems you have not seen where men yab their fellow men. Paying of bride price is the most aspect of marriage and tradition has to be followed carefully

Oga rest please. The guy can collect from his friend and transfer to him. These things happen and it is his price to pay for not coming with the cash which is what a sensible groom should do. There are people that have been trapped in villages with no POS vendor and cash came out from the groom’s entourage. E dey happen!
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kajaard: 2:39pm On Feb 03, 2023
Jennyclay:
Broke men should please stay away from relationship/marriage.

He can't even produce common 2k cash, Edakun, how will he take good care of his bride if he can't cough out 2k cash? undecided

His mate are holding 200k cash to their traditional marriage just incase of emergency. But your friend can hold common 2k. Nawa oo!!

Even the OP is a Keke man! Shior!

May God Help all struggling men o!

This girl there is something seriously wrong with you🤣

You are not normal🤣
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by SaLongs1(m): 2:47pm On Feb 03, 2023
You have made sense up to the point where you are encouraging a very superstitiously
gullible people to watch African Magic and become more ritualistically inclined and start minning people's skulls and all manner of rubbish that comes with such.
pocohantas:

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by BeardedmeatR(m): 2:47pm On Feb 03, 2023
Funny fiction cheesy😝
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Kaycee9242(m): 2:49pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:

Oga rest please. The guy can collect from his friend and transfer to him. These things happen and it is his price to pay for not coming with the cash which is what a sensible groom should do. There are people that have been trapped in villages with no POS vendor and cash came out from the groom’s entourage. E dey happen!

What you said now is entirely different from what you said before, borrowing money from a crony to marry and pay later is different from transferring money to a crony in exchange of cash. What we are talking of is bride price not any other money
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by pocohantas(f): 2:50pm On Feb 03, 2023
Kaycee9242:

What you said now is entirely different from what you said before, borrowing money from a crony to marry and pay later is different from transferring money to a crony in exchange of cash. What we are talking of is bride price not any other money

I wonder where you read borrow. I hope you don’t break your spine while jumping into conclusions one day. Take care
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by CoolJul: 3:04pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sonnobax15:

This na pure lie abeg! Everybody won catch cruise with this currency change thing.

From ages past bride price na cash! Even toddler go know say him supposed don find the 2k cash down since before that day even with the present situation in the country. Abi na a night before the groom start to plan the marriage?

Ok fuel scarce n cost too, why Dem nor use water travel reach the bride village too as excuse. Abi the groom one tell us say for the past 1 week now him hand never touch a cash of at least 2k, whether from bank or from POS?

If u tell us say the argument between the family na based on say whether the 2k bride price na new or old cash we for believe this story.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Pells1: 3:10pm On Feb 03, 2023
pocohantas:

I was surprised at the N2000 and I seriously doubt it. Bride price itself has always been CHEAP. It is meant to be symbolical. Where I come from, it is N15, even until tomorrow. 3 mint N5 notes. What is heavy is the marriage list. Never the bride price. So, except your people don’t have a marriage list, na still the same thing.
Ishan undecided undecided undecided
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by rickleye: 3:13pm On Feb 03, 2023
I thought the Traditional Marriage is about the couple - " M a r r i a g e " unless they live on a deserted Island. Transfer and move on. If I was there, I would tell them I ain't marrying their daughter again.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by CoolJul: 3:16pm On Feb 03, 2023
saintneo:
Are they giving away their daughter in marriage via WiFi/Bluetooth?

People should respect themselves. Abi the guy no get marriage list? All these should be prepared.

What if the bride price is N70? Will he do transfer?

Na mum*u man. Unmatured, uncultured, untaught indomie generation groom. Very disrespectful! He is lucky he didn't try that with one of our uncle I know, he for sound am slap for there and then despite he is his son-in-law to be, 2k cash for vanish come by force from amongst the team that went with him.

Probably Dem force am to marry the lady so him won catch cruise ....lol

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by rickleye: 3:16pm On Feb 03, 2023
drololaaof:
Marriage is not online business na, why not make adequate preparation for all the required materials for the marriage. If it is church or mosque are you going to do online transfer?

Stay there !!!! SInce Covid churches have been accepting tithe, offering and donations via Online Transfer and text
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by CoolJul: 3:18pm On Feb 03, 2023
Na mum*u man. Unmatured, uncultured, untaught indomie generation groom. Very disrespectful! He is lucky he didn't try that with one of our uncle I know, he for sound am slap for there and then despite he is his son-in-law to be, 2k cash for vanish come by force from amongst the team that went with him.

Probably Dem force am to marry the lady so him won catch small cruise ....lol ekpa boy.
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by alizma: 3:22pm On Feb 03, 2023
ahnie:

They can never be okay with paying the bride price with **transfer**it's an insult to tradition.
Lol, never use the word never. Tradition is for men not the order way round. Is peak milk part of tradition? I guess you are not aware that is now part of the demand during traditional wedding. E go soon clear for your eyes, its a question of time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man To Pay N800,000 To Marry Dead Woman As Wife / Adebiyi Muiz Celebrates Susan Smith, His Elderly Oyinbo Wife / My Wife Left The House Because I Confronted Her Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.