Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:03 AM

Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination (38449 Views)

Supreme Court Dismisses PDP’s Suit Challenging ‘Double Nomination’ Of Shettima / Osinbajo Jokes With Shettima Over Ice Cream / INEC Delists 1.1 Million Voters Over Double Registration, Ineligibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by Freebills12: 7:58pm On Mar 25, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
senatordave1:

He has immunity therefore he cannot be prosecuted.

Are election matter? Did immunity protect Ihedioha the former governor of Imo State?
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by 2elliot: 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2023
yemex04:

Don't be so loud in Ignorance please.
A gubernatorial Candidate would be deemed to have won election if;
1.He scored the highest number of lawful Votes cast
2. He scored at least 25% of votes cast in 2/3 of the LGs within the State.
you are right
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by adekolaelect(m): 5:17am On Mar 26, 2023
Emola12:
remember say nah OBI first write petition go court before ATIKU do so oo nah to just remind you say OBI is cooking something background so never rejoice yet OBI is coming
Yes Obi is coming to Biafra or Aba !!!!!!!! Those that believed Buhari was cloned are those that believe Obi will get presidency from Court when he failed to get if from Voters.

Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by emilo2bad: 5:50am On Mar 26, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

That wasn't an internal affair of the party because the case is on what the 2022 electoral Act says, that no candidate would be nominated for two posts in a single election circle. It is only a matter that of party constitution that is within the party members and not constitutional or electoral Act.
The judges played to the gallery. PDP need to push it further to supreme court. The letter of the electoral Act need be obeyed by everybody. The party constitution cannot be contested by non party member but content of the electoral Act and constitution can be contested by party members. To me the judges erred in law and just played to the gallery.

Rubbish go and research on party nomination judgement by supreme court, The only person that have the locus standing to sue is co contester not another party, Google is your friend
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by Dottormentor: 7:11am On Mar 26, 2023
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by IfnobeGod20: 11:15am On Mar 26, 2023
garfield1:

My brother,I am an authority in electoral law.any matter arising before elections categorized as a pre election matter.moreover,the penalty for that according to you is conviction and shettima has immunity
How would you say you're an authority in electoral law when you've not won a single case on election matter. Then, someone like Olanipekun, Ikpesu, Fawehinmi and co should be called law in itself.
Mr. Man, the penalty is not mere word of pronounce by individual but it must still pass through the court for pronouncement. That was why I said double nomination that has to do with electoral Act or constitution cannot be said to be solely of party issue and preelection matter. If the court made it to be a party issue, it opens channel for party to do and undo and breach the electoral Act at will.
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by garfield1: 11:18am On Mar 26, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

How would you say you're an authority in electoral law when you've not won a single case on election matter. Then, someone like Olanipekun, Ikpesu, Fawehinmi and co should be called law in itself.
Mr. Man, the penalty is not mere word of pronounce by individual but it must still pass through the court for pronouncement. That was why I said double nomination that has to do with electoral Act or constitution cannot be said to be solely of party issue and preelection matter. If the court made it to be a party issue, it opens channel for party to do and undo and breach the electoral Act at will.

The appeal court has settled that matter.obi and atiku will fail all
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by IfnobeGod20: 11:28am On Mar 26, 2023
emilo2bad:

Rubbish go and research on party nomination judgement by supreme court, The only person that have the locus standing to sue is co contester not another party, Google is your friend
Mr. Man, party nomination is quite different from double nomination that attracts penalty. The way and manner a party nominate her candidates it is none of non-party members concern or those not participated in the said nomination. We are talking of party fielding a single candidate on a two different posts as against the electoral Act that stipulates that no candidate shall vie for two posts in an election circle.
The judges should have looked for another excuse to give than saying it none of PDP concern because it is a party affair. The judge should have hinged their judgement that he resigned or tendered resignation from the first post within the time frame allowed by law but their claim is lame and incoherent.
Know the difference between party nomination on a post and a party making double nomination of candidate on two different posts.

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by IfnobeGod20: 11:33am On Mar 26, 2023
garfield1:

The appeal court has settled that matter.obi and atiku will fail all
No doubt but the reasons adduced to is very lame. Double nomination of candidate on two different posts is quite different from party nomination of candidates for different posts. The latter is more of party issue but the former cannot be said to be party issue that you wilfully contravened.
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by garfield1: 11:38am On Mar 26, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

No doubt but the reasons adduced to is very lame. Double nomination of candidate on two different posts is quite different from party nomination of candidates for different posts. The latter is more of party issue bit the former cannot be said to be party issue that you wilfully contravened.

What is your problem exactly if obi will lose the case? The Intendment of the court is to prevent someone being a candidate in two posts for the election and not punishing a mistake that is why the law added knowingly
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by emilo2bad: 5:40pm On Mar 26, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

Mr. Man, party nomination is quite different from double nomination that attracts penalty. The way and manner a party nominate her candidates it is none of non-party members concern or those not participated in the said nomination. We are talking of party fielding a single candidate on a two different posts as against the electoral Act that stipulates that no candidate shall vie for two posts in an election circle.
The judges should have looked for another excuse to give than saying it none of PDP concern because it is a party affair. The judge should have hinged their judgement that he resigned or tendered resignation from the first post within the time frame allowed by law but their claim is lame and incoherent.
Know the difference between party nomination on a post and a party making double nomination of candidate on two different posts.
why still writing rubbish what happened in supreme court concerning Akpabio, Lawal, Tambuwal and more double nomination my foot go and read supreme court judgements Google is your friend
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by IfnobeGod20: 10:40pm On Mar 26, 2023
emilo2bad:

why still writing rubbish what happened in supreme court concerning Akpabio, Lawal, Tambuwal and more double nomination my foot go and read supreme court judgements Google is your friend
Bringing in those cases is more a slap to the generality of the people and nation's conscience. It just shows the level of decadence in our judiciary. This is the first time that people that never purchase senatorial form, never participated in senatorial primaries become candidates in an election. Courtesy of our judiciary. This is why people are doubting the wisdom of our judiciary to dispense justice on critical issues.
A system where the rule of law is trampled upon, you should expect not less, lawlessness. No single non partisan lawyer that doesn't condemn such ache judgement from the SC.
Let me remind you what really happened about the case of Lawal. The SC only faulted the process by which Machida filed the case but refused to dwell on the merit of the case. You know what such case means, if a thief is caught and he's taking to court and the process of filing his case is faulty, he can be released to go and be enjoying his loot. Nigeria my country.
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by IfnobeGod20: 10:42pm On Mar 26, 2023
garfield1:

What is your problem exactly if obi will lose the case? The Intendment of the court is to prevent someone being a candidate in two posts for the election and not punishing a mistake that is why the law added knowingly
Let him lose the case, the world would not end. It's you people that are seeing it as the end of the world if your candidate doesn't win either by hook or crook.
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by vacanci: 3:38am On Mar 27, 2023
Carmal90:

I have sir.

While you have bookmarked, keep the below from Falana on channels TV last night in view and let's watch the legal battle.

Ibrahimcoomasie:
Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State, Says Femi Falana, SAN.

He noted that court decisions on the status of Abuja already exist. Femi Falana, SAN says votes cast in all parts of Nigeria are equal, adding that Abuja – the Federal Capital Territory – has been interpreted to be the 37th state of the country.

He was commenting on Section 134 of the 1999 Constitution which has become a contending issue in the aftermath of the 2023 presidential election.

But on Channels Television Sunday Politics, Falana said he will not be making a definite comment on the issue at the moment since it has become a serious legal matter now pending in court, noting that court decisions on the status of Abuja already exist.

I had expressed an opinion on section 134 of the Constitution on the 23rd of January this year – that is about a month before the presidential election. On that occasion, I expressed a legal opinion and that is why I was very hesitant to join the bandwagon when lawyers started to give political interpretations of that section.

“I did state that there is no electoral college in Nigeria and therefore the votes cast or recorded in any part of the country are equal. Section 134 of the Constitution specifically requires a winner of a presidential election to meet certain requirements. The first one is to score the majority of lawful votes and the second is territorial spread, a two-thirds majority of the states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“And since the FCT has been interpreted to be a 37th state in Nigeria for the purpose of the constitution I didn’t see any controversy at the material time and that was when I expressed my opinion.

“But now that it has become a serious legal issue and the matter is now pending in court, I am very reluctant to speak definitively on the section because there are decisions of the court on the status of Abuja,” Falana said.

Section 134 sub-section 1 (b) of the 1999 Constitution states that a winner of a presidential election must not have less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the states in the federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who was declared winner of the February 25 presidential election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) failed to secure 25% votes in the FCT, raising concerns about the interpretation that section of the Constitution.

Both Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party and Peter Obi of the Labour Party have filed petitions at the Presidential Election Tribunal challenging Tinubu’s declaration as the winner of the 2023 presidential election. Atiku and Obi were placed second and third respectively.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/03/26/votes-cast-in-all-parts-of-nigeria-are-equal-abuja-taken-as-37th-state-says-falana/
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by dadexcel: 1:07pm On Mar 28, 2023
ORIENTATION101:
you re not smart. this is a pre-election case, only those that contest the primary according to the new electoral act is qualify to institute the case against Tinubu and shetima.
After the names of APC candidate has been forwarded to inec, the case becomes status barred.

The opposition can only challenge the candidates after election if they didn't meet up with the requirements of participating in the general election.

It takes a stupid teenager to call someone ge hasnt met names . Tell that to your Dad ....
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by chivic(m): 5:28pm On May 22, 2023
garfield1:

My brother,I am an authority in electoral law.any matter arising before elections categorized as a pre election matter.moreover,the penalty for that according to you is conviction and shettima has immunity

Immunity ends on may 29.The court can proceed to state that he be arrested .And the security will simply wait for may 29 and do the needful.
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by Exhalex: 3:31pm On May 26, 2023
Obi na baby for Nigeria politics.
Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by favor914: 4:59pm On May 26, 2023
Asswipemod:

So Òbí is now in PDP. Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg!

Re: Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination by favor914: 5:01pm On May 26, 2023
chivic:

Immunity ends on may 29.The court can proceed to state that he be arrested .And the security will simply wait for may 29 and do the needful.
Mr Man, please stop talking nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

David Hundeyin: K1 And MC Oluomo Have Been Paid By Obiakpor Hitler To Kill Me / Biden Snubs Buhari In First Calls To Africa / Niger Delta Kids Are Drinking Polluted Water Because Of Oil Spillage (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.