Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,911 members, 7,872,951 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:09 AM

Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 (860 Views)

Prince Of Orhuwhorun Kingdom, 2 Policemen Killed In Cult Related Clash (Graphic) / Rivers State: Rise In Cult Related Killings- Amnesty International / 2 Men Murder A Man In Bayelsa Over A Cult Related Issue (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 by ForDanny: 1:51am On May 10, 2023
Dear Nigerian Police Force,

I am writing to express my deep concern and sorrow over the recent surge of cult-related killings across Nigeria as well as the role that the owners of certain YouTube channels may be playing in encouraging and promoting these violent acts.
The frequency and brutality of these incidents are alarming, and the scale of the crisis is growing worse by the day. The sheer number of violent deaths attributed to cult groups in 2023 alone, over 105, is a staggering statistic that speaks to the urgent need for action. These murders are perpetuated daily with gruesome video evidence regularly surfacing online. The situation is further compounded by the fact that certain YouTube channels, are allegedly making enticing videos glorifying supremacy, showing these murders on their telegram channels and encouraging more killings in the comment sections of these videos. This is not only immoral and unethical but also criminal. It is imperative that the owners such channels are investigated and brought to justice if found to be involved in promoting or glorifying cult-related violence.

As you may be aware, the proliferation of cultism in Nigeria has been a long-standing problem, particularly among young people who are lured into these groups by the promise of camaraderie, power, and protection. But these groups have increasingly become more violent and have transformed into criminal gangs, who now engage in a range of activities including robbery, kidnapping, and murder. The result is a nightmare for ordinary citizens who live in constant fear of violence, and whose lives and livelihoods are being destroyed by the activities of these gangs.

I would like to draw your attention to the various laws in Nigeria that prohibit cultism and murder. Section 319 of the Criminal Code Act prohibits the unlawful killing of another person, and those found guilty of such crimes can face the death penalty or life imprisonment. Additionally, the Cultism (Prohibition) Act of 2021 criminalizes the activities of secret cults and provides for strict punishment of offenders.

I understand that law enforcement agencies are working to address the problem, but I believe that more needs to be done to curb this menace. I urge you to step up your efforts to identify and apprehend the perpetrators of these crimes, and to work with other law enforcement agencies and stakeholders to develop strategies to prevent further violence and address the root causes of this problem. I implore you to be more proactive and to collaborate with communities to identify and eliminate the problem at its core.

I recognize that the Nigerian Police Force is working hard to protect the public, but I also believe that more can be done to address this crisis. As citizens, we are demanding that the Police take swift and decisive action to curb this problem and bring the perpetrators to justice. We believe that this is a fight that can only be won by working together, and we stand ready to work with you to end this menace.

I also call upon the government and other stakeholders to join hands in the fight against cultism and its attendant violence. We must put an end to the cycle of violence and restore peace and security to our communities. I believe that with concerted effort, we can make Nigeria a safer and more peaceful place for all.

Thank you for your attention to this urgent matter.

https://twitter.com/luxlyangels/status/1656091469097074690?s=46&t=v_lGIX1dvvSGPUvPzRdhmA

CC
SeunOsewa
@PoliceNG
@NGRPresident
@NhrcNigeria
@AmnestyNigeria
@SERAPNigeria

Re: Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 by Moh247: 2:35am On May 10, 2023
Social media regulations laws
Re: Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 by kingthreat(m): 4:06am On May 10, 2023
ForDanny, if you think it is over 105 that has been killed so far this year, you may need to multiply it by 2 or 3. Many of the deaths are undocumented.
On the clowns that are using cultism for content on Youtube, I am ambivalent about that because without them we wouldn't know the extent of the rot. The government really needs to start doing something if not the cultism problem will become a full-out decay. There was a time when Lagos state made a law that any cultist will lose their landed property even if it is family-owned. Unfortunately, Nigeria remains a lawless country where despite anti-gay law Bobrisky is still walking freely.

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 by Creamypie(m): 4:29am On May 10, 2023
You tube channels did nothing wrong sir. They are only trying their best to air some of these killings. The actual number of killings is at least 500 this year so far
Re: Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 by ObalendeCMS: 5:34am On May 10, 2023
And drugs too. Especially kolorado.
Re: Open Letter To Nigerian Police Force On The Recent Cult Related Killings In 2023 by mrkels(m): 12:37pm On May 10, 2023
Nice piece .

Mods please move to front page so these people would see this .

They have been ignoring this for too long now and they need to do something about this .

For everyone’s safety all thugs with guns need to leave the street . Imagine what they would do with these weapons when they are hungry . They would unleash harm on their various communities .

Also why is it that the police force never investigated these murders even with video evidences?

(1) (Reply)

Mother And Daughter Accused Of Killing And Dismembering Body Of Grandmother / The Origin Of The Popular Saying "419" Traces Back To Nigeria / POS Lady In Trouble For Receiving Money To Her Personal Account (pic/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.