Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,144 members, 7,977,287 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 03:44 AM

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name (41545 Views)

Help Needed! I Am Finding It Difficult Calling My Brother 'sir'. / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Babastrong(m): 8:55pm On May 13, 2023
OP, Your father gave you particular name and you gave yourself another one here.
so why worry? your son will give himself new name las las.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by JeffreyJunior: 8:58pm On May 13, 2023
ibkayee:
If the gentleman doesn’t want his own son to be addressed by another name I don’t see the issue.

This is how overstepping boundaries gets normalised in a lot of Nigerian homes, it always starts with something seemingly trivial

I’d be interested to know the wife’s feelings
What boundaries? You sound as if we are talking about some strangers here.

The boy is his son but he is their grandson too, don't forget that.

Did they request for the boy's name to be changed in his birth certificate? No, so what's the fuss about?
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Joseph77200(m): 8:58pm On May 13, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
I don't really see an issue in this.

Grandparents always have preferred names for their grandkids and oftentimes, the names are born out of their belief in reincarnation.

My grandma called me Obim until she died because she believed I was reincarnation of her late husband and she practically begged my dad to name me after the man which is why my Igbo name is Obi×××.
This is entirely different and assuming they are calling him a native name that would have been quietly understood but why calling him Daniel when he has been given Charles already, something doesn't add up, no be them get pikin and the man should not stick with Daniel

Your inlaws mean no harm, please let it go.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by DatNaijaGuy: 8:59pm On May 13, 2023
Ogbeni you are overreacting.
My daughter's grandparents have names for her. In fact, I something call her the name her grandmother calls her.
Come off it young man.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Pat081: 8:59pm On May 13, 2023
Pls is Daniel not part of the name you give to him on his naming Or you are having problem with someone who is name Daniel what will you now do if they are calling him Musa or Yemi
joeargy:

Daniel is my problem
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by JustcallmeFavou(f): 8:59pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:
Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice...

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

You are just giving yourself unnecessary headache. Me that my parents named me after each of their mothers. If they call me either of the names, I answer.

My siblings too, any name that entered their mouth, they call me too. And I answer, at least, I know the name stated in my certificate at my time of birth.

Life no hard ooo.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by NoToPile: 9:00pm On May 13, 2023
pek:
You contradict yourself and it is not wailing as you wrongly put it. In your case, she calls her by the many names you gave her. That means you gave her the name.

it's still wailing because the other paragraph below the bolded you quoted is exactly OP's scenerio. Inlaw calling the child the name they gave the baby.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Haveyoueatentod: 9:00pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:
NA THEM KNOW THE REAL PAPA

I understand grandparents and calling their grandkids their preferred name

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

But you see switching from Charles to Daniel

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

Oga that child isn’t yours
it's just a pet name they prefer which one be the child is not yours Una fit destroy people relationship with advice

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Whobedatte(m): 9:01pm On May 13, 2023
E be like Buhari no reach this one side ?
See weytin agbalagba Dey use him head Dey worry about shocked

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Maynmann: 9:01pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

They aren't foreign, we christians name our kids after a Saint or men of God in the Holy bible
Eg Saint Charles , Saint daniel
They are jewish names, they are foreign.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 9:01pm On May 13, 2023
mariahAngel:

So, your son cannot even answer yes? cheesy

I'm sure he knows his name is Charles, and also knows that only at his grandparents' place is he called Daniel.
I'm also quite sure he loves being called a different name at his grandparents'
Children love being called their alternative names for some reason, and they are smarter than you think.
2yrs is still a baby, if u expect the baby to spell psychology, then u are mongo park, pikin answer ehh!!! U feel it's wrong

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by udomma1005(m): 9:02pm On May 13, 2023
Do the needful first!
Who is Daniel, either living or dead?
If they gave the boy a native name, no qualms but to drop Charles and pick Daniel is another queer one! Ask again and again, who is DANIEL? What is so particular about the name that they wanna use your son to immortalize without due clarification on your side

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

You just want to destroy someone's family for fun or what? Na wa o.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Emir8: 9:03pm On May 13, 2023
You are a complete simp. I gave my daughter Blessing, my wife brother used to call my daughter Esther. I warned him and his family never to call my daughter any other name. That's how all of them behave themselves.

Not every in-law you treat friendly. If they go against your rules, change it for them

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Maynmann: 9:03pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

Let them be Saint first but for now they are bloody Nigerians
So Daniel and charles are foreign names and not nigerians?
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Djbme: 9:05pm On May 13, 2023
Solofresh2:
Take the child away from them and don't take him close to them for a very long time because if that boy start answering that name at this early stage,wahala go dey oo

What wahala …I as case study I bear four names
For my family house I mean including areas they called me name one
In my primary school I bear another name
In my secondary school I bear another name and in my university level I bear another
All these doesn’t changed my official name on all my certificate
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pek(m): 9:06pm On May 13, 2023
NoToPile:

it's still wailing because the other paragraph below the bolded you quoted is exactly OP's scenerio. Inlaw calling the child the name they gave the baby.
Who are the they? From the write up, op didn't name his son Daniel reason for the apathy.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by NoToPile: 9:07pm On May 13, 2023
pek:
Who are the they? From the write up, op didn't name his son Daniel reason for the apathy.

Inlaw calling the child they (the inlaws) gave the baby.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pek(m): 9:07pm On May 13, 2023
Maynmann:

So Daniel and charles are foreign names and not nigerians?
Really? I am shocked by this question. So Daniel and Charles are tribal names in Nigeria?
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 9:08pm On May 13, 2023
TO AVOID FUTURE INTERFERENCE OGA TREAT THIS SHIT NOW LIKE INFECTION.. IF NOT, MORE DEY COME OOH

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Nosa111(m): 9:10pm On May 13, 2023
Nothing wrong oga. You are just acting like a pussy. He will grow up and choose the one he likes or even give himself him own name.
joeargy:

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by delishpot: 9:12pm On May 13, 2023
My maternal Grand ma has a name for me, my father's aunty has a name she and everyone call me. Infact if you call me any of those I can tell where you know me from. I can tell if this person knows me from momsy side, or this one must be from Popsie side or this one knows me from our normal estate knowing based on which name they know me by grin grin
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Poanan: 9:13pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

It is same way grannies give preferred native name. E no reach fight

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by isabi2lof: 9:20pm On May 13, 2023
What happens to calling him Charles Daniel grin

You want to fight your grandparents or excepting some volunteer wrestlers down to your grandparents place .

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by isabi2lof: 9:24pm On May 13, 2023
Ara agbala relationship expert in the mud ,una own no pass to dey destroy people home, which one is the child isn't yours

Not everyone will behave like your wife .

If e sure for you ,help am run DNA test .
taylor89:

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Mrmakaveli200: 9:26pm On May 13, 2023
This is not an issue na. Haba. They chose to call him that name. Allow them. The one you named him is registered in his birth certificate. So calm down
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Okwyjesus(m): 9:28pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

That's is not how to go about inlaws issue bro

Use wisdom, they didn't change his surname

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by DLuciano: 9:29pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:

Who bi this one, you just wan cause casala!

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by gadgethead: 9:29pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

They aren't foreign, we christians name our kids after a Saint or men of God in the Holy bible
Eg Saint Charles , Saint daniel

Whether you like it or no Christianity is foreign. It was forced upon Africans when the Europeans invaded, plundered and forced people into slavery
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by eroticecstasy: 9:32pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

This isn't the right place for this, as an adult you should learn to resolve your family issues without the involvement of other parties.

Back to the matter;
- Are your parent inlaws spiritual (born again)?

- Have you find out from them why they gave the child that name? Daniel is a very special name.

- Did they compel you to change his name to Daniel?

It's so unfortunate that Parents of this generation are highly ignorant; babies getting married to babies, giving birth to babies.

FIND OUT WHY
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Lovestrong(m): 9:33pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:

you dey shout
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Acidosis(m): 9:34pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:
These foreign names wey una dey call children dey vex me. Wetin be Charles and Daniel?
Whatever happened to Izuchukwu, Uwem, Adebola, Ovundah?

God help Africa!!

There are many stup*d and senseless native names too. No issues with "foreign" names.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fifteen Stupid Things A Wife Can Do To Mess Up Her Marriage!!! / The Only Type Of Partners Who Enjoy The Best Marriage. / Man Sues In-laws For Giving Him Already Pregnant Daughter In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.