Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (600) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (594478 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (645) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 6:48pm On Jun 21
IridescentAge:

When I first commented I didn't start out but saying anything to do with colour though! I didn't know if this was a Nigerian only forum. I mentioned I was only British, and not Nigerian.

In an attempt to not be rude I seem to have offended several different people πŸ₯²

It was also semi relevant to the conversation which was about what British people's worries are, potentially around immigration and if they would express them to an immigrant on the doorstep.

As a non-immigrant, I probably have some insight into what people may say behind closed doors and I was trying to express that.

Oh my days. I didn't mean to upset anyone.

That's alright. You are welcome to the thread.

It was just that I get a bit tetchy when I feel somebody is going on about Anglo-Saxon, celtic heritage etc. In my experience, it usually leads to some racial abuse to me or implying that I am somehow not "British enough" because I was born somewhere else.

I m happy to learn you are cut from different cloth. Oya , come and take suya grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 6:56pm On Jun 21
Viruses:

When evil comes knocking on your neighbour's door, if you do not speak up, when it's done, it will move to your door.

There are issues you don't need to be personally affected before you speak up for or against especially societal issues.

I can tell you for free that those fighting for increased minimum wage in Nigeria do not currently earn minimum wage and may never earn it in their lifetime.

I'm not calling anything evil here, this is an analogy. Trans is a societal issue, there are solid points for or against it and should not be based on personal encounter. After all, personal encounter (good or bad) shouldn't represent the general trans community. Just like one person commit crime and you accuse the entire tribe.

What's the worst case scenario if you just go about your business and let Trans people go about theirs?
I have a trans colleague and she is lovely. Even if she were terrible , it would still not affect me so long as she does her job.

That reminds me, it's Gay Pride weekend with matches up and down the country.
Why not swing by on your way to shopping and see them and speak to them.
I think some of the stigma comes from hearsay,really
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:03pm On Jun 21
Lexusgs430:

Have you ever dodged tax or attempted to pay the bearest minimum (deploying clever accounting techniques)............ πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

Not at all. Have you? I do not blame you at all actually. They should make it easier to fo the right thing .I blame the government for keeping those loopholes open.

It's been an "ogodo sewalu nje (dont look back even if your wrapper is caught by thorns)" government for a long time with no consequences.

Look at the stupid betting scandal. 2 weeks is too long even to this election
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 7:04pm On Jun 21
giselle237:
@controlv do not respond to them. Just ignore. TDS has returned your deposit and that is all. The tenancy has ended, you have returned the keys and you have your deposit in hand.

Thanks so much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:09pm On Jun 21
missjekyll:

Not at all. Have you? I do not blame you at all actually. They should make it easier to fo the right thing .I blame the government for keeping those loopholes open.

It's been an "ogodo sewalu nje (dont look back even if your wrapper is caught by thorns)" government for a long time with no consequences.

Look at the stupid betting scandal. 2 weeks is too long even to this election

Remember when people wanted GEJ out, he was rigged out...... They had buhari, they now wished GEJ back .......

They now have tinubu, they are wishing buhari back..... I truly hope labour/reform/LD/GP........ Have the ability to fix this mess, but I would not hold my breath.......🚨🚨🚨

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 7:32pm On Jun 21
Lexusgs430:

Did you drill holes on the wall......

Do you agree with all or some of the damages outlined.......

Did you take pictures & videos upon expiration of tenancy..........

The adjudicator already ruled in favour, that's one battle you won (under your belt)......

TDS already refunded, tell them to sue you....... Head to the court and defend yourself, with ample evidenced documents........

Nothing was hung on the wall and I didn't drill any holes. Infact, the paintwork was in fair condition when we moved in and this was documented in the inventory. The oven and extractor was cleaned and left in a better state than we met it. The blinds were already impaired before we moved in and I ensured this was documented on the inventory when we moved in. It appears letting agent B has not read the inventory before coming up with this amount.

I didn't agree with any of the damages. I made this clear in my email to both letting agents when agent A made a claim against the deposit.

Both myself and TDS made every effort to get evidence of the claim made against the deposit by agent A, who claim to have acted on landlord's instruction, but he stopped responding.

TDS had to rule in my favor.

I did not take pictures when I checked out.

Thanks 😊
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:39pm On Jun 21
Controlv:

Nothing was hung on the wall and I didn't drill any holes. Infact, the paintwork was in fair condition when we moved in and this was documented in the inventory. The oven and extractor was cleaned and left in a better state than we met it. The blinds were already impaired before we moved in and I ensured this was documented on the inventory when we moved in. It appears letting agent B has not read the inventory before coming up with this amount.

I didn't agree with any of the damages. I made this clear in my email to both letting agents when agent A made a claim against the deposit.

Both myself and TDS made every effort to get evidence of the claim made against the deposit by agent A, who claim to have acted on landlord's instruction, but he stopped responding.

TDS had to rule in my favor.

I did not take pictures when I checked out.

Thanks 😊

Tell them to sue you ......

For the records, it's very important to take photos and videos (pre and post occupancy)........

TDS came about, because LL's would make every excuse, not to return deposits ...... TDS was established about 20 years ago, imagine what was happening before TDS .........πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:40pm On Jun 21
Lexusgs430:

Remember when people wanted GEJ out, he was rigged out...... They had buhari, they now wished GEJ back .......

They now have tinubu, they are wishing buhari back..... I truly hope labour/reform/LD/GP........ Have the ability to fix this mess, but I would not hold my breath.......🚨🚨🚨

The rot is extensive but we cannot give up. Where else would you go? We stay here and help fix it.

I always say that Nigerian and British politics should not be compared in any way. It's been downhill. In Britain it's downhill then upwards then downhill again. It ll be uphill for the next 10 yrs at the very least. We all deserve that
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:42pm On Jun 21
missjekyll:

The rot is extensive but we cannot give up. Where else would you go? We stay here and help fix it.

I always say that Nigerian and British politics should not be compared in any way. It's been downhill. In Britain it's downhill then upwards then downhill again. It ll be uphill for the next 10 yrs at the very least. We all deserve that

I remain hopeful, but hope not to be deluded........πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 7:43pm On Jun 21
Which party is the best to vote for as the parliamentary election is getting closer. Scottish Labor party or Scottish National Party(SNP) ? Question to my Scottish people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 7:45pm On Jun 21
Good evening Elders.
I beg na who don change mobile number for his NIN. GT bank don dey give me warning ⚠️ say I need to link my NIN to my account number. My 9ja number for NIN no dey exist since over 10yrs.
NIN centre for London dey quote me Β£60 just to change number.

Lastly na who sabi sabi painting & wallpaper or assembling garden shed. Location na 25mins away from Croydon station.
Tanx
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:48pm On Jun 21
Thastie:
I just received this sad news guys.
Letter of refusal for my mom’s visa.
Please what can I do?
I felt they are comparing the Nigerian economy to the YK economy. The way the money was converted to pounds is so annoying

Self employed? You ll need company accounts and evidence of company taxes.
They also want evidence that your company is doing well enough to pay you 1 million p.a

Also 1 million p.a works out at 83000 monthly, your monthly living cost is 50000 . They have stated 2 problems with this: your statements have not borne this out and they do not think what's left over after living costs is enough to sustain you.

They have also denied the visa with prejudice.

I suggest you sit down with an accountant to make the figures add up. Since you have stated she is self-employed, you can't state otherwise now, just do some better accounting and back up with evidence. Pictures of your family are not needed. I ve never submitted pictures before.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:54pm On Jun 21
Phenmeson:
Good evening Elders.
I beg na who don change mobile number for his NIN. GT bank don dey give me warning ⚠️ say I need to link my NIN to my account number. My 9ja number for NIN no dey exist since over 10yrs.

Lastly na who sabi sabi painting & wallpaper or assembling garden shed. Location na 25mins away from Croydon station.
Tanx

I'm getting the same warning too but i haven't linked it as i got no NIN but i was able to change my Nigerian number to the UK one through the GTB bank app.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 8:04pm On Jun 21
Phenmeson:
Good evening Elders.

Tanx
I got thesame message too even though I have linked mine. You can link your NIN without the mobile number you used to register. You just need a number with at least N20 credit. Google it or check the GT bank website for instructions on how to do this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thastie(f): 8:04pm On Jun 21
missjekyll:

They also want evidence that your company is doing well enough to pay you 1 million p.a

Also 1 million p.a works out at 83000 monthly, your monthly living cost is 50000.

Oh. I chose self-employed. That’s the mistake. How soon can I reapply please. I will choose unemployed and say she’s a trader
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 8:04pm On Jun 21
justwise:

I'm getting the same warning too but i haven't linked it as i got no NIN but i was able to change my Nigerian number to the UK one through the GTB bank app.

Thanks big Bros. I even tried using my BVN but it was already linked.
Fresh NIN Biometric cost Β£50 but change of mobile number for NIN holder na Β£60.
E beta to even use UK number for NIN & BVN to avoid all this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:08pm On Jun 21
Thastie:

Oh. I chose self-employed. That’s the mistake. How soon can I reapply please. I will choose unemployed and say she’s a trader

This would be an automatic refusal as trading is employment and you already stated she was self employed before. This refusal was with prejudice so they must have been cocksure. I would wait at least 6 months if not 1 year. The more eager you seem,the more suspicious you are going to look
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 8:08pm On Jun 21
dustydee:

I got thesame message too even though I have linked mine. You can link your NIN without the mobile number you used to register. You just need a number with at least N20 credit. Google it or check the GT bank website for instructions on how to do this.

I tried the link but OTP was sent to registered number of my NIN which I have no asses to.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 8:09pm On Jun 21
Lexusgs430:

Tell them to sue you ......

For the records, it's very important to take photos and videos (pre and post occupancy)........

TDS came about, because LL's would make every excuse, not to return deposits ...... TDS was established about 20 years ago, imagine what was happening before TDS .........πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Indeed, rent money is dead money. I had paid over 20k in rent, yet they still want my small deposit at all cost. Thank God for TDS.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thastie(f): 8:16pm On Jun 21
missjekyll:

Also 1 million p.a works out at 83000 monthly, your monthly living cost is 50000 . They have stated 2 problems with this: your statements have not borne this out and they do not think what's left over after living costs is enough to sustain you.

I suggest you sit down with an accountant to make the figures add up. Since you have stated she is self-employed, you can't state otherwise now, just do some better accounting and back up with evidence. Pictures of your family are not needed. I ve never submitted pictures before.

Ha. She doesn’t have a company o. She just own a shop she sells clothes, shoes and jewellery.
I included it in the invitation letter that she has a small boutique.
Alright thank you. I will reapply in January

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:18pm On Jun 21
Controlv:

Indeed, rent money is dead money. I had paid over 20k in rent, yet they still want my small deposit at all cost. Thank God for TDS.

Make we no talk this one o ...... Before people chew me again, then spit me out ........🀣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 8:32pm On Jun 21
Phenmeson:

I tried the link but OTP was sent to registered number of my NIN which I have no asses to.
This is the methos I used.
The OTP in this case is for GT bank not NIN. It worked for me even though I did not use my NIN phone number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv7qRtgW3MY

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BeckyB1(f): 9:28pm On Jun 21
Welcome back 😁. I am glad that you are fine.

justwise:
Good morning people, what did i miss?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 9:35pm On Jun 21
I have been out of this Platform since April and no one asked after me. Na so I no popular reach. Wetin I go do to make me popular. Abi make insult the elder ones like Lexusgs430 whether people go know meπŸ˜‚

Anyway, this one wey oyinbo don enter us now. Shey we no go cast for some things here before BBC go know say one group for nairaland dey. Asking fora friend

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 11:27pm On Jun 21
justwise:

Yay, justwise is back πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ. Welcome back, just in time for election or you have been out campaigning for Kier Starmer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 1:24am On Jun 22
Akorkor:
Which party is the best to vote for as the parliamentary election is getting closer. Scottish Labor party or Scottish National Party(SNP) ? Question to my Scottish people

Scottish family party.

What happened to the conservatives, aren't they on the ballot?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 2:02am On Jun 22
elengine:
I have been out of this Platform since April and no one asked after me. Na so I no popular reach. Wetin I go do to make me popular. Abi make insult the elder ones like Lexusgs430 whether people go know meπŸ˜‚

Anyway, this one wey oyinbo don enter us now. Shey we no go cast for some things here before BBC go know say one group for nairaland dey. Asking fora friend

But you ve been on here for a while, Do we ever discuss illegal things or anything we would be ashamed of? I don't think so and I quite enjoy the discussions here.
Our newest OP is an ally and is very welcome. smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 4:11am On Jun 22
missjekyll:

Please what is the best way to put in application for a retired mother and she own a business?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 6:20am On Jun 22
justwise:

Welcome back Boss

You scared me oo

Dey tell us when you want to go holidays please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:45am On Jun 22
BeckyB1:
Welcome back 😁. I am glad that you are fine.

Thank you, appreciated.

ukay2:

Welcome back Boss

You scared me oo

Dey tell us when you want to go holidays please
Honestly i wish i actually went on holiday with my family. We have not been on holiday for 3yrs now.

Thank you
fatima04:

Yay, justwise is back πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ. Welcome back, just in time for election or you have been out campaigning for Kier Starmer

Campaigning? Who paid you to say this? grin grin i will likely vote Labour not because i believe anything they say but because of Sunak and Farage. They all lie but some are dangerous to the society like Farage(The Uk version of Trump)

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 9:01am On Jun 22
@Justwise,
Welcome back. Glad you are back. I (we) missed you.

Your absence (and explanation) has provided an insight into how Nairaland is run.
So the moderators & super mods do not have any means of communication with the Oga @ the top except via emails?

So all the mentions of the other mods, enquiring about you did not yield anything?

The sudden silence made me to fear the worst. I honestly thought something much bigger had happened to you. Well, welcome back.

PS: I sincerely entertained the thought that you had probably hibernated the Justwise persona, and reincarnated in another form (Most likely as Kumbhuru) to give us all a taste of what the thread would feel like, without a moderator.

My brother, Nnoo

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 9:16am On Jun 22
ReesheesuKnack:
@Justwise,
Welcome back. Glad you are back. I (we) missed you.

Your absence (and explanation) has provided an insight into how Nairaland is run.
So the moderators & super mods do not have any means of communication with the Oga @ the top except via emails?

So all the mentions of the other mods, enquiring about you did not yield anything?

The sudden silence made me to fear the worst. I honestly thought something much bigger had happened to you. Well, welcome back.

PS: I sincerely entertained the thought that you had probably hibernated the Justwise persona, and reincarnated in another form (Most likely as Kumbhuru) to give us all a taste of what the thread would feel like, without a moderator.

My brother, Nnoo

Haha πŸ˜„
You see that Kumbhuru part got me lol. I think that's one of Justwise's first assignments now that's back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (645) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

Viewing this topic: Jamesclooney, okposm and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.