Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,769 members, 7,979,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 01:40 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (638) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (690970 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) ... (698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:54am On Jul 17
nduk56:

Kumbhuru go and start your driving lessons as you are wasting valuable time. No one owes you anything.
P.S stop replying yourself rock86. It is very corny brother man.

His trust already applied for a driving test waiver for him, as a most senior band 6 (7-ish) mental health Nurse grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temitopepremium(f): 8:06am On Jul 17
Hello all,

We are seeking for financial assistance of one of us here in the UK who tragically passed away due to health problem. Therefore, we have created a Gofundme account for his family as to assist with funeral.
Kindly help the family as no amount is too small and as you do so, God will continue to bless you .

Donate to help Peter Egbeh.
https://gofund.me/ea9f24fe

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Onelovetayz(m): 9:37am On Jul 17
nduk56:

Kumbhuru go and start your driving lessons as you are wasting valuable time. No one owes you anything.
P.S stop replying yourself rock86. It is very corny brother man.
elengine:

E don cast😃😃😃😃

Since 1864! Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 10:41am On Jul 17
teeebest:
Hello All, I have a practical test and an oral interview for a Band 6 Senior Information Analyst role at one of the NHS trusts coming up. Any pointers as to what to expect will be appreciated. Thanks

Answer all questions from a behavioural perspective.
The questions will be along the lines of; Give us an example of when you have …. Or the team/ the role does …. Give an example of

Your responses should follow the STARR format
Situation – This was happening, we had a project, my employer needed…
Task – The team was asked to…I was the project manager and part of my remit was to…
Action – I took these steps (lay out the steps, who you worked with, who you collaborated with) What, Where, How and What. Tools you used, skills you utilised (link to job and person spec)
Result – Use numbers, facts, figures, data (impact to the team, org and project
Reflection – What would you do differently next time? Why – Link to impact on team, org and project

Use ‘I’ statements rather than we or the team.

Find the Trust values and objectives (will be on their website) and work them into your Action/Result/Reflection responses.

Emphasise collaboration, seeking and providing guidance/ direction, taking initiative, requestion and taking onboard feedback from stakeholders.

Band 6 is the first rung of leadership in the NHS so have that in mind when planning your responses – how you show leadership. Think of leadership styles (collaborative being the best)

Read up on the NHS People Plan as well. Aim to spend about 5-6 minutes on each question. You’ll get between 6 and 9 questions. Do some rehearsals so your responses flow well.

Take time to think through your responses. Make and take notes with you.

I always ask for the questions to be printed out and handed to me for a face-to-face interview so ask. It helps to remind me of the points I need to hit. I now as a rule print out interview questions for all applicants when we interview.

Good luck and go smash it!

37 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by erico2k2(m): 11:11am On Jul 17
Ticha:

The questions will be along the lines of; Give us an example of when you have …. Or the team/ the role does …. Give an example of

Task – The team was asked to…I was the project manager and part of my remit was to…
Action – I took these steps (lay out the steps, who you worked with, who you collaborated with) What, Where, How and What. Tools you used, skills you utilised (link to job and person spec)
Reflection – What would you do differently next time? Why – Link to impact on team, org and project

Find the Trust values and objectives (will be on their website) and work them into your Action/Result/Reflection responses.

Emphasise collaboration, seeking and providing guidance/ direction, taking initiative, requestion and taking onboard feedback from stakeholders.

Band 6 is the first rung of leadership in the NHS so have that in mind when planning your responses – how you show leadership. Think of leadership styles (collaborative being the best)

Read up on the NHS People Plan as well. Aim to spend about 5-6 minutes on each question. You’ll get between 6 and 9 questions. Do some rehearsals so your responses flow well.

I always ask for the questions to be printed out and handed to me for a face-to-face interview so ask. It helps to remind me of the points I need to hit. I now as a rule print out interview questions for all applicants when we interview.

Well placed, response and statement, good luck to applicant!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by erico2k2(m): 11:16am On Jul 17
rock86:
Who has flown Qatar airways, what should I be preparing for please?
I will appreciate inputs, there's a layover in Doha, hope transit visa is not required?
I have, it was a pleasant journey, flight very nice, at the airport you will be going fru check in and check out by English speaking Sudanese mainly who have almost zero in customer service(this is subject to your tolerance)Be careful not to buy alcohol on your carry on luggage for any transit fru their airport. Be carful not to get carried away ias its a massive Airport. I learnt my lesson in Turkey and missed my connecting flight!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tboy0777: 4:19pm On Jul 17
Hello house, my wife is meant to graduate in May but failed one coursework and have been allowed a resit without attendance. She has been asked to submit the coursework on July 29. Our visa will expire on Sept 9. Are we still eligible for PSW if she pass the coursework successfully? Please I need your advice. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:31pm On Jul 17
Oh my, I m loving all of this

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 7:08pm On Jul 17
Them suppose pin those “Do not drive alone with a provisional license”. It is very tempting, DON’T do it.

Run away from Nigerians who tell you to do it and show you examples of people doing it for long.

It’s not worth it.

It ruins so much.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 9:42pm On Jul 17
Zahra29:
https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-100-migrants-face-being-in-uk-illegally-as-care-agency-is-stripped-of-ability-to-endorse-visas-13178490

In the article, Muhammed from Pakistan paid the agency £19,000 for a Care CoS for himself and 5 dependants (wife and 4 school age children).

When ReesheesuKnack used the example of 6 dependants, some people said that was an outlandish scenario....

Hear… Hear!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 9:45pm On Jul 17
missjekyll:

Buhari promised more than this.
Tinubu’s budget and mission statement promised more than this.

Like APC (Nigeria), like Labour Party (UK).

I hope and pray Labour (UK) delivers on at least 1/2 of what they promised/promising. Na all of us go enjoy. But me like dis… I’m not optimistic that they will.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 9:49pm On Jul 17
Hello all,

A quick one to anyone who is currently using a company car or clearly understands the company car tax (Benefit-in-Kind, BiK) and any finer details, drawbacks etc that they feel I should know based on their personal experience.

I'm currently reviewing company car policy and would be confirming to HR whether or not I'd need them order me a company car. The policy clearly stated that all motoring expense (tax, insurance, repairing, maintaining, etc., and even reimbursing any running expense) would be taken care of by the company. The only expense from pocket is the BiK.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 10:13pm On Jul 17
Ticha:

I’ve asked interviewer twice last year to type out the question and paste during online interview.

Normally make the request before the interview date so that they are prepared.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 1:34am On Jul 18
gmacnoms:
Them suppose pin those “Do not drive alone with a provisional license”. It is very tempting, DON’T do it.

Run away from Nigerians who tell you to do it and show you examples of people doing it for long.

It’s not worth it.

It ruins so much.

What's the latest ish now? Any news?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:36am On Jul 18
ReesheesuKnack:

Buhari promised more than this.
Tinubu’s budget and mission statement promised more than this.

Like APC (Nigeria), like Labour Party (UK).

I hope and pray Labour (UK) delivers on at least 1/2 of what they promised/promising. Na all of us go enjoy. But me like dis… I’m not optimistic that they will.

Thats a bit rich coming from a Tory supporter,dont you think? You continued to support them even as they failed and failed for 14 years. Now they have been booted out, you are still raining on the parade after 2 weeks .
Luckily,You will be here to see and to enjoy all of it too.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by willyede(m): 9:47am On Jul 18
missjekyll:

There's no "Higher Education (Funding) Bill"
Though there was nothing specific for universities and the sector in the King’s Speech, there is a lot of stuff worth keeping an eye on.

Of the forty bills proposed, the Skills England Bill is the only one to deal with post-compulsory education. We learn that the new body will work with devolved government (in the form of Mayoral Combined Authorities, or MCAs) as well as with business, providers, unions, and the national government – and that it will take on many (if not all?) of the functions of the current Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (IfATE).

The key word is coherence – as we pointed out on Monday there are various arms of government involved in what we might loosely define future skills planning. This includes bits of the Department for Education, arms-length bodies like IfATE, the Migration Advisory Committee and the Home Office, and the end of the business department that deals with industrial strategy (there’ll be a new one of those too).

Key functions will include data gathering and analysis (using data – including vacancy data – to draw together an agreed single perspective on national and local skills needs), a bit of regulation (marking training as suitable for the Growth and Skills Levy that will replace the apprenticeship levy).

Though the language of devolution runs through the proposals, it will start on a very small scale. Around 62 per cent of the 2024-25 adult skills fund budget will be devolved to MCAs, compared to 60 per cent devolved to combined authorities as set out in the Skills for Jobs white paper back in 2023, though more devolution is planned in future. Even so, we don’t see a repeat of the language around support for other areas (without MCAs) from the white paper, so it is not clear what would be on offer to areas without mayors.

The English Devolution Bill might be a part of the answer. A “more ambitious standardised devolution framework” will give greater powers to more local leaders by default – including on skills and employment support – and introduce “local growth plans”. This will extend to simplifications in the process of becoming a Combined (or Combined County) Authority.

Some researchers and research managers will want to keep an eye on the Digital Information and Smart Data Bill, which could simplify data reuse consent processes in both higher education and the commercial sector. The wider bill is more aptly described as a digital government bill, featuring improvements to data collection, data use, and data safeguards (including a beefed up ICO) that can’t help but remind you of Keir Starmer’s campaign story about digitising Public Prosecutions.

Parts of the Employment Rights Bill will have a bearing on working conditions in the sector. The “new deal for working people” will ban “exploitative zero hours contracts” – though there are few of these among academics (though there are still too many!), the big impact of this (and the enhanced rights, including flexible working) will be on ancillary staff. The Bill removes the minimum service levels during industrial action, among wider updates to trade union legislation. All of this will be enforced by a new body, the Fair Work Agency. Likewise, the draft Equality (Race and Disability) Bill will make the right to equal pay easier for disabled and ethnic minority workers to assert, and will introduce mandatory pay equality reporting for employers with more than 250 employees.

The Terrorism (Protection of Premises) Bill enacts what has been described as “Martyn’s Law” – something that, in the higher education sector, will have significant implications for security requirements of university buildings and campuses.

Of significance to providers involved in teacher training, the Children’s Wellbeing Bill will return England to requiring teaching staff to hold (or to be working towards) qualified teacher status. This closes a 2010 loophole introduced by Michael Gove, that ended the requirement for academies and free schools to use only qualified teachers.

This parliament will see a new Renters’ Rights Bill which could finally address some of the problems and inequalities experienced by students in rented accommodation. Some of these protections featured in initial drafts of the last government’s abandoned Renters Reform Bill.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 10:16am On Jul 18
missjekyll:

Thats a bit rich coming from a Tory supporter,dont you think? You continued to support them even as they failed and failed for 14 years. Now they have been booted out, you are still raining on the parade after 2 weeks .
Luckily,You will be here to see and to enjoy all of it too.

Agreed.

And crucially as well - the plans display coherence in the government's strategy, unlike the previous few Tory governments that have bumbled from disastrous plan to disastrous plan, from Boris' "oven ready Brexit deal" to Truss's budget to Sunak's compulsory national service.

I personally like everything there although there's something I was hoping for as it relates to my field that was underwhelming but even if one does not agree with everything, it's a marked improvement already. Plus they have the numbers to push anything through so we can reasonably expect most of these will go through.

Also the point about how they might still fail is irrelevant. Every government may still fail. Same as every new leadership in any organisation. As you said, it's rich when such sour grapes comments come from Tory supporters or even the ones that said they'd vote Reform and their hallucinatory manifesto.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:35am On Jul 18
willyede:

There's no "Higher Education (Funding) Bill"
Though there was nothing specific for universities and the sector in the King’s Speech, there is a lot of stuff worth keeping an eye on.

Of the forty bills proposed, the Skills England Bill is the only one to deal with post-compulsory education. We learn that the new body will work with devolved government (in the form of Mayoral Combined Authorities, or MCAs) as well as with business, providers, unions, and the national government – and that it will take on many (if not all?) of the functions of the current Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (IfATE).

The key word is coherence – as we pointed out on Monday there are various arms of government involved in what we might loosely define future skills planning. This includes bits of the Department for Education, arms-length bodies like IfATE, the Migration Advisory Committee and the Home Office, and the end of the business department that deals with industrial strategy (there’ll be a new one of those too).

Key functions will include data gathering and analysis (using data – including vacancy data – to draw together an agreed single perspective on national and local skills needs), a bit of regulation (marking training as suitable for the Growth and Skills Levy that will replace the apprenticeship levy).

Though the language of devolution runs through the proposals, it will start on a very small scale. Around 62 per cent of the 2024-25 adult skills fund budget will be devolved to MCAs, compared to 60 per cent devolved to combined authorities as set out in the Skills for Jobs white paper back in 2023, though more devolution is planned in future. Even so, we don’t see a repeat of the language around support for other areas (without MCAs) from the white paper, so it is not clear what would be on offer to areas without mayors.

The English Devolution Bill might be a part of the answer. A “more ambitious standardised devolution framework” will give greater powers to more local leaders by default – including on skills and employment support – and introduce “local growth plans”. This will extend to simplifications in the process of becoming a Combined (or Combined County) Authority.

Some researchers and research managers will want to keep an eye on the Digital Information and Smart Data Bill, which could simplify data reuse consent processes in both higher education and the commercial sector. The wider bill is more aptly described as a digital government bill, featuring improvements to data collection, data use, and data safeguards (including a beefed up ICO) that can’t help but remind you of Keir Starmer’s campaign story about digitising Public Prosecutions.

Parts of the Employment Rights Bill will have a bearing on working conditions in the sector. The “new deal for working people” will ban “exploitative zero hours contracts” – though there are few of these among academics (though there are still too many!), the big impact of this (and the enhanced rights, including flexible working) will be on ancillary staff. The Bill removes the minimum service levels during industrial action, among wider updates to trade union legislation. All of this will be enforced by a new body, the Fair Work Agency. Likewise, the draft Equality (Race and Disability) Bill will make the right to equal pay easier for disabled and ethnic minority workers to assert, and will introduce mandatory pay equality reporting for employers with more than 250 employees.

The Terrorism (Protection of Premises) Bill enacts what has been described as “Martyn’s Law” – something that, in the higher education sector, will have significant implications for security requirements of university buildings and campuses.

Of significance to providers involved in teacher training, the Children’s Wellbeing Bill will return England to requiring teaching staff to hold (or to be working towards) qualified teacher status. This closes a 2010 loophole introduced by Michael Gove, that ended the requirement for academies and free schools to use only qualified teachers.

This parliament will see a new Renters’ Rights Bill which could finally address some of the problems and inequalities experienced by students in rented accommodation. Some of these protections featured in initial drafts of the last government’s abandoned Renters Reform Bill.

I like this take on labours plan from your specific perspective in Education.
I m sure that ll help some people in Education to plan.

Hopefully some other readers will weigh in from their areas of expertise too.

My friends tell me the 13 years under the last labour government saw an increase in their wages, finding employment, nurseries, able to buy houses.

I m already poised to take full advantage for the next 5 years. Any government policy I ll be all over it like white on rice and I ll share it on here of course.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 11:37am On Jul 18
Yes of course. Be sure the time the shool senate will sit for the award as well.

Tboy0777:
Hello house, my wife is meant to graduate in May but failed one coursework and have been allowed a resit without attendance. She has been asked to submit the coursework on July 29. Our visa will expire on Sept 9. Are we still eligible for PSW if she pass the coursework successfully? Please I need your advice. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tboy0777: 2:38pm On Jul 18
SerendipityHere:
Yes of course. Be sure the time the shool senate will sit for the award as well.

Okay thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:02pm On Jul 18
missjekyll:

I like this take on labours plan from your specific perspective in Education.
I m sure that ll help some people in Education to plan.

Hopefully some other readers will weigh in from their areas of expertise too.

My friends tell me the 13 years under the last labour government saw an increase in their wages, finding employment, nurseries, able to buy houses.

I m already poised to take full advantage for the next 5 years. Any government policy I ll be all over it like white on rice and I ll share it on here of course.

While the new Labour government is overall a very welcome change, Starmer is not Blair. Times are very different and this isn't the same Labour party as before, as evidenced by their muted manifesto and promises.

The more radical changes are likely to be seen in the critical, headline issues - NHS, illegal immigration/asylum/boat crossings and levelling up/equality/education reforms. Most other areas will likely carry on largely as normal, at least for the first term, but the economy will continue to improve especially as businesses and the market are reassured by a stable and competent government.

In fairness, Tory governments tend to do more to help potential home buyers - moreso than Labour. E.g Thatcher facilitated buying of council homes to help people get onto the ladder, various help to buy schemes etc. I don't see any targeted Labour schemes to improve home ownership, in fact stamp duty for first time buyers is set to rise under Labour. Tories tend to be on the side of landlords/home owners and Labour on the side of renters and social housing expansion.

Starmer deliberately made only modest promises in his manifesto (typical lawyer). Hopefully this means that he will end up overdelivering, but the message has been/is that we should all manage our expectations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by teeebest(m): 4:01pm On Jul 18
Thank you as always Ticha.

Ticha:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 8:07pm On Jul 18
AgentXxx:

Update on Lazy Direct Line

I reached out to HR Director with evidences as advised by a colleague since my manager was a bit defensive for the guy and HR did agree on an extension for him which my manager reluctantly accepted.

Twist of this story is that last week Wednesday, my manager reached out and told me they were terminating his contract in a week time tomorrow but the reason will be made known to me after his termination. Since then I haven’t kinda feeling pity for him as the brother just recently told me “he has been surviving and just started living in London since he started the job.

My two confusion is why was he careless about the opportunity? What could have fueled the drastic decision from HR and my manager to terminate instead of extending ? 😓

I have been WFH since last week as I kinda feel pity for the young lad as he doesn’t seems to know what is coming for him and tbh, he improved overall since about two weeks ago even though that could be a pretence due his probation review coming up.

I was thinking about of stepping up for him as my manager said if I would vouch for him, he would be considered for extension.

Egbon, please do not interfere. Let the manager take his decision

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:51pm On Jul 18
missjekyll:

Remember despite all that, they ended up being voted out and kept out of power for 14 yrs for 'ruining the economy'

Generally, I hope for the best but try not to get too sold on politicians especially when there's an insatiable crowd voting
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 10:31pm On Jul 18
He has been terminated yesterday and my manager told me the reason which he didn’t tell me earlier. He slagged me to some colleagues at work using offensive words like C*** etc and those one reported to HR which is automatic termination according to HR policy. I was even pitying him before I was told his offence and I let him leave with some IT peripherals I purchased for him. He did send me a text this morning apologising. We are out looking for a replacement.
hyzich:

Egbon, please do not interfere. Let the manager take his decision
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:31pm On Jul 18
AgentXxx:
He has been terminated yesterday and my manager told me the reason which he didn’t tell me earlier. He slagged me to some colleagues at work using offensive words like C*** etc and those one reported to HR which is automatic termination according to HR policy. I was even pitying him before I was told his offence and I let him leave with some IT peripherals I purchased for him. He did send me a text this morning apologising. We are out looking for a replacement.

CAN I SEND MY CV?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 8:23am On Jul 19
Are you living in London? Are you happy to work 5days in the office for the first 5 to 6months? If Yes to both then send your Cv

NB: it is a junior IT Engineer role. No Sponsorship included.
lavida001:

CAN I SEND MY CV?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:36am On Jul 19
AgentXxx:
Are you living in London? Are you happy to work 5days in the office for the first 5 to 6months? If Yes to both then send your Cv

NB: it is a junior IT Engineer role. No Sponsorship included.

After working flexible jobs, going back to Monday - Friday roles can be sometimes challenging. Needs a strong will to take that decision.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:25am On Jul 19
@Zahra are you following the uprising in Leeds? What's your take?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 11:53am On Jul 19
It isn’t for a chief like you. It is for someone who is looking to start out and gain the Uk experience in a junior IT role
ehizario2012:

After working flexible jobs, going back to Monday - Friday roles can be sometimes challenging. Needs a strong will to take that decision.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:29pm On Jul 19
ehizario2012:
@Zahra are you following the uprising in Leeds? What's your take?

Hello, happy Friday ☺️

I followed it last night, there was also a separate riot in Whitechapel, East London.

It's an own goal by these communities because their vandalism and violence only serve to bolster the assertions of those on the right that multiculturalism has failed/isn't working very well.

In addition to the reputational damage, there is also the potential economic impact. Areas with predominantly immigrant and ethnic populations tend to be among the most deprived in the country - with a few exceptions such as Jewish communities e.g in North London. These types of incidents will discourage investment, jobs and regeneration; the area will deteriorate further and it then becomes a vicious cycle of violence, economic deprivation and class/racial tension. An example is Croydon which has been in steady decline since the riots in 2011. This is how slums and no-go areas, like in parts of France and Belgium, get created.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) ... (698) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: okposm, babajeje123(m), cashmyles, CowbellY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.