Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,399 members, 7,978,268 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 01:26 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (636) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (689608 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 3:58pm On Jul 15
Hwy9:
Hello fam,

My Council is after me!

The Annual bill for 24/25 financial year sent to me showed that my tax should be paid in the span of 10 months (ending January 2025).

However, I had started making payments in April after splitting into 12 equal months.

The Authority had sent a reminder earlier which I missed. Unfortunately, they have sent a summon for me to appear in court.

This is surprising because I haven't missed any of my monthly payments and I have always spread my payments across 12 months in the past.

Can anyone advise on the way forward.

Have you called them? From what I know it's likely there's an error somewhere. It's highly unusual for them to send a court summons after what seems to be a short interval even if you didn't pay at all, not to speak of now that you've been paying.

No offense but are you sure what you got is actually a court summons and not a letter containing a threat of a summons?

In any case, a call would likely either sort things out or make the issue a lot clearer at least.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:09pm On Jul 15
Hwy9:
Hello fam,

My Council is after me!

The Annual bill for 24/25 financial year sent to me showed that my tax should be paid in the span of 10 months (ending January 2025).

However, I had started making payments in April after splitting into 12 equal months.

The Authority had sent a reminder earlier which I missed. Unfortunately, they have sent a summon for me to appear in court.

This is surprising because I haven't missed any of my monthly payments and I have always spread my payments across 12 months in the past.

Can anyone advise on the way forward.

Do you pay by direct debit?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 4:09pm On Jul 15
No offense but are you sure what you got is actually a court summons and not a letter containing a threat of a summons?

In any case, a call would likely either sort things out or make the issue a lot clearer at least.*******************************************************

The letter stated that I should appear in court in August, a payment plan has been communicated which further states that a liability order will be applied for by the council. Or I should pay all the outstanding amount due to avoid a liability order.

I have called them, requested for a call, raised inquiry form for a call but no response. Just a mail this afternoon.

Also worth noting is that, the last letter from the council showed that they omitted one of my payments in their analysis.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 4:12pm On Jul 15
justwise:

Do you pay by direct debit?

No, I didn't buy the idea of paying everything within 10 months, so I went for monthly payment of 12 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 4:13pm On Jul 15
Hwy9:

In any case, a call would likely either sort things out or make the issue a lot clearer at least.*******************************************************

The letter stated that I should appear in court in August, a payment plan has been communicated which further states that a liability order will be applied for by the council. Or I should pay all the outstanding amount due to avoid a liability order.

I have called them, requested for a call, raised inquiry form for a call but no response. Just a mail this afternoon.

Also worth noting is that, the last letter from the council showed that they omitted one of my payments in their analysis.

Something is very wrong. Can you go to their office or keep trying via phone? If you try earlier in the morning it may be easier to get a hold of someone.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:25pm On Jul 15
Hwy9:

Printout all your payment and pay them a visit to sort this out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 4:36pm On Jul 15
justwise:

Printout all your payment and pay them a visit to sort this out

Thanks for this. Is there any issue with me spreading my payments across 12 months as against 10 months communicated in annual statements sent to me before April 2024. Is this enough ground for additional liability being recorded for me?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 4:37pm On Jul 15
Goodenoch:

Something is very wrong. Can you go to their office or keep trying via phone? If you try earlier in the morning it may be easier to get a hold of someone.

Thanks I will try both.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Joy83(m): 4:48pm On Jul 15
No. I have direct debit set up for them.

They first sent me a letter making payment plan for 10 months. I called them to raise a complain and explained why I want it for 12 months instead. At the time of my call, first payment was few days due so it was too late.

So first debit was based on 10 installment payments. First payment was removed from the grand total and the remaining balance was spread across 11 months. They sent letter to that effect.

Hwy9:

Thanks for this. Is there any issue with me spreading my payments across 12 months as against 10 months communicated in annual statements sent to me before April 2024. Is this enough ground for additional liability being recorded for me?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:25pm On Jul 15
Hwy9:

No as long as that was agreed and you have been making payment.

Evidence of monthly payment get you out of jail here, so pay them a visit first before the court date.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by darmilolah(m): 11:08pm On Jul 15
rock86:

How did you navigate driving with right sided cars, was it difficult initially?

Always remind yourself that I should always be on the left. It worked for me. It should work for you too.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rock86: 8:02am On Jul 16
darmilolah:

Always remind yourself that I should always be on the left. It worked for me. It should work for you too.
Left?? shocked shocked I thought we do right in Nigeria, omo this is total brain formatting. Thank you o, na to tell them say I no dey drive until them book my lessons
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rock86: 8:03am On Jul 16
I discovered University of Derby is cheap for international students
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 8:22am On Jul 16
rock86:

How did you navigate driving with right sided cars, was it difficult initially?
You can buy a sticker from Amazon or AA that mirrors what side of the road you should be on.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 9:35am On Jul 16
AgentXxx:
To the Seniors In The House

Hello everyone,

In April, an employee was hired to directly report to me, in the past few weeks, I noticed he is always slow to respond to tickets, make so much errors which I have been covering his ass for, spends loads of time surfing the internet for music related stuffs including elections stuffs, listen loudly to music and would have to tap him to communicate with him. whenever this is pointed out to him, he is defensive, he lashes out that he is being micromanaged. is this really being micro managed? What is the best line of action to this? Even though I did sent a report of this to my line manager the IT Director last night and also have minute of our 121 meeting documented(with some of this issues mentioned).

NOTE: He is yet to pass probation in which review will be in about 2weeks.

Update on Lazy Direct Line

I reached out to HR Director with evidences as advised by a colleague since my manager was a bit defensive for the guy and HR did agree on an extension for him which my manager reluctantly accepted.

Twist of this story is that last week Wednesday, my manager reached out and told me they were terminating his contract in a week time tomorrow but the reason will be made known to me after his termination. Since then I haven’t kinda feeling pity for him as the brother just recently told me “he has been surviving and just started living in London since he started the job.

My two confusion is why was he careless about the opportunity? What could have fueled the drastic decision from HR and my manager to terminate instead of extending ? 😓

I have been WFH since last week as I kinda feel pity for the young lad as he doesn’t seems to know what is coming for him and tbh, he improved overall since about two weeks ago even though that could be a pretence due his probation review coming up.

I was thinking about of stepping up for him as my manager said if I would vouch for him, he would be considered for extension.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rock86: 10:20am On Jul 16
Can I use my Nigerian bank accounts over there?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:29am On Jul 16
https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-100-migrants-face-being-in-uk-illegally-as-care-agency-is-stripped-of-ability-to-endorse-visas-13178490

In the article, Muhammed from Pakistan paid the agency £19,000 for a Care CoS for himself and 5 dependants (wife and 4 school age children).

When ReesheesuKnack used the example of 6 dependants, some people said that was an outlandish scenario....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 11:52am On Jul 16
If what you meant is the App then Yes.
rock86:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KOVIC19COVID20: 1:23pm On Jul 16
rock86:

During my own time, my trust gave me new UK bank accounts so I didn’t bother with my Naija account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KOVIC19COVID20: 1:25pm On Jul 16
rock86:

Left?? shocked shocked I thought we do right in Nigeria, omo this is total brain formatting. Thank you o, na to tell them say I no dey drive until them book my lessons

Oh woww your trust is booking your lessons for you? That’s so sweet of them.

Actually, you could ask your trust to get you a driver or two to be driving you to work, pending when your trust-sponsored driving test booking happens.

It worked for me during my time.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 1:39pm On Jul 16
Ticha:

You can buy a sticker from Amazon or AA that mirrors what side of the road you should be on.

Do you mind clarifying?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 1:40pm On Jul 16
KOVIC19COVID20:

During my own time, my trust gave me new UK bank accounts so I didn’t bother with my Naija account.

Your Trust gave you or you opened a new UK account? shocked

Zero balance or did your Trust fund the account also?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rock86: 1:43pm On Jul 16
KOVIC19COVID20:

But some transactions would require one to use naira? Personally I have loans to repay to my banks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rock86: 1:44pm On Jul 16
KOVIC19COVID20:

Actually, you could ask your trust to get you a driver or two to be driving you to work, pending when your trust-sponsored driving test booking happens.

That's a nice idea. I would tell them about the driver and booking test since they require me to drive
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rock86: 1:46pm On Jul 16
iyatrustee:

Your Trust gave you or you opened a new UK account? shocked

Zero balance or did your Trust fund the account also?
Mine is giving me advance Intrest free loan of up to 1500. Left to me to accept
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 2:28pm On Jul 16
Another one bites the dust.

Let me be cheeky and put it here, before they come.

Scotland: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Brown Pakistani ❌

Wales: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Black Zambian ❌

England: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Brown Indian - failed by the shenanigans of his party and lost a General Election

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:56pm On Jul 16
Nigerian driving habits didn't leave me on time, but thank God I passed the UK full manual driving test at last. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 3:26pm On Jul 16
ReesheesuKnack:
Another one bites the dust.

Let me be cheeky and put it here, before they come.

Scotland: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Brown Pakistani ❌

Wales: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Black Zambian ❌

England: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Brown Indian - failed by the shenanigans of his party and lost a General Election

All of them are British. What do you mean Zambian? Does he describe himself as Zambian?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 3:41pm On Jul 16
missjekyll:

All of them are British. What do you mean Zambian? Does he describe himself as Zambian?

His ‘Blackness’ is from Zambia.

I don’t recall ever mentioning or implying that any of them is not British. Did I?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 4:01pm On Jul 16
Whirlwind year for UK politics…

Source of Screenshot: BBC

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 4:10pm On Jul 16
KOVIC19COVID20:

This guy 🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 4:24pm On Jul 16
wonlasewonimi:

I was there on Friday too..spent about 2.5hrs through the process. I will be thrilled to get it on Monday.

I got the passport back today which is quite impressive!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) ... (697) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.