Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,023 members, 7,919,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:25 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (651) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (619208 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) ... (664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:12pm On Aug 03
BeckyB1:
Thank you for your kind response always.
I am actually asking about people on the old Healthcare visa rule whose sponsors do not have work for since they entered the country for some months now.

Some were lucky to get the supplementary 20 hours a week from other agencies but nothing from their main sponsors.

We are hoping that the present government will look into this.

I think they already are but I expect any measures will be to prevent the same abuse and exploitation going forward...

How is your job search going? Are you getting interviews and are you open to other areas?
If you don't already, try to get a full UK driving licence asap as I hear that it opens up a lot more opportunities especially in Dom care.

Send me a DM if you're still looking and I'll send you some resources that should aid you in applying for NHS support roles.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 6:17pm On Aug 03
jedisco:

Quite generous coming from someone who was giving us a lecture on tax and insinuating those who who do not support her stance on VAT on private schools or taxing landlords till they shiver e.t.c wanted UK to become Nigeria. Shouldn't surprise you that many people against some of those have paid their fair share and more.

All said, seems you have bigger issues with folks here. I many times respond based on content not moniker. Chill my sister. It's just another forum

You still haven't answered the question. Why far left? I m dragging this for the edification of thread visitors. Make person no go call im colleague "far right" or "far left" for work. You go kuku go hr explain wetin you mean.

You will recognise the tax policies you ve mentioned as the current government policy.
Laid out boldly in the manifesto on which Labour won a stonking majority. Meaning these are very popular policies. What's the issue?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NezzyMike: 6:18pm On Aug 03
Lexusgs430:

May I seek consent from my wife........ 😂🤣

I just picked up my Greggs bag...... It was full of goodies........ 😁😂

I will fully prepare for that of tomorrow grin grin
Wow!!!! kiss
Tell Madam that she can't finish you alone na....lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:24pm On Aug 03
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:30pm On Aug 03
missjekyll:
Trump just had a carcrash interview.
Complete carcrash.
Have a look. He was at the Black journalist 's conference.

At a point I come de wonder weda na parody

Addendum: I am very proud of those women. They brought the tough questions and he had no freaking answers. He is gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOqBgqWcr8?si=Ys-GEiR_dcp9q1jZ

Did you watch the video you posted? He answered the questions. Whether you like the answers or if they are what you expected is a different thing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 9:34pm On Aug 03
Viruses:

Even if they are former men, it's not a fair match.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

You’re just parroting moral panic headlines and probably Instagram videos as well.

Do a little research and stop spreading fake news against someone unfairly.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:37pm On Aug 03
Goodenoch:

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

You’re just parroting moral panic headlines and probably Instagram videos as well.

Do a little research and stop spreading fake news against someone unfairly.

I get what you mean now. I've erased my posts.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:47pm On Aug 03
missjekyll:

You still haven't answered the question. Why far left? I m dragging this for the edification of thread visitors. Make person no go call im colleague "far right" or "far left" for work. You go kuku go hr explain wetin you mean.

You will recognise the tax policies you ve mentioned as the current government policy.
Laid out boldly in the manifesto on which Labour won a stonking majority. Meaning these are very popular policies. What's the issue?

Why are you finding it hard and difficult to accept that you have expressed far-left opinions and espoused far-left ideology - on this Nairaland?

Almost every day, you make posts, calling people far-right or skinheads or racists or transphobes or a variation of different things. I bet, if you ask all the people you have labelled , they will tell you they are not what you are labelling them.

Just ququma accept your far-left tag and move on. By their fruits we shall know them. By your fruits, you shall be known(or tagged).

Again, I challenge you. Write out what far right means, and what far left means and elaborate on the differences, with examples. Then allow others to class you, based on what you have supported, written or agreed with. That’s all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 7:03am On Aug 04
missjekyll:

What choices, the children had no hand in any of these. We can't let them starve to punish their parents. They have come in hungry to school this morning, they have to eat.

You are assuming their parents are "irresponsible " and do not work. That is not true.There are also children of working parents who are in this group due to low pay and high cost of living.

First vote new parliament - end the two child benefit cap. What happened to we can't let the children starve and child poverty. 7 MPs were suspended because the voted to end it. More of same?

"Ahead of the vote, Sir Keir said there is “no silver bullet” to end child poverty but acknowledged the “passion” of MPs who were considering opposing the continuation of the Tory measure." Independent 24th July
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:06am On Aug 04
deept:

First vote new parliament - end the two child benefit cap. What happened to we can't let the children starve and child poverty. 7 MPs were suspended because the voted to end it. More of same?

"Ahead of the vote, Sir Keir said there is “no silver bullet” to end child poverty but acknowledged the “passion” of MPs who were considering opposing the continuation of the Tory measure." Independent 24th July

Oh come on, are you still saying this? Are you planning to return your inflation busting pay rise(something the blasted tories refused to do) ?
They ve said they remove it just not yet. I m possessing my soul in patience for now. It's been 1 month
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:15am On Aug 04
ReesheesuKnack:

Again, I challenge you. Write out what far right means, and what far left means and elaborate on the differences, with examples. Then allow others to class you, based on what you have supported, written or agreed with. That’s all.

I mean I have repeatedly explained what 'far' means but I cannot understand it for you. I can only throw ignoramuses a rope of knowledge in their deep mire of ninnyhammerness,I cannot force them to climb up it. Hey ho...shrugs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:33am On Aug 04
missjekyll:

I mean I have repeatedly explained what 'far' means but I cannot understand it for you. I can only throw ignoramuses a rope of knowledge in their deep mire of ninnyhammerness,I cannot force them to climb up it. Hey ho...shrugs

A defining characteristic of far right people or far-left people is that they think anyone who is not in their far-camp is an ignoramus.

Enough said.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:07pm On Aug 04
ReesheesuKnack:

A defining characteristic of far right people or far-left people is that they think anyone who is not in their far-camp is an ignoramus.

Enough said.

Why is the term far right and far left suddenly everywhere.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 1:15pm On Aug 04
missjekyll:

Oh come on, are you still saying this? Are you planning to return your inflation busting pay rise(something the blasted tories refused to do) ?
They ve said they remove it just not yet. I m possessing my soul in patience for now. It's been 1 month

I don't see any reaction from you on that but you were quick to criticize the other side on child poverty.

It's just one month and they've increased tax on energy companies from 75 to 78%, banned North sea oil and gas exploration. The majors are withholding new investment in the UK, what does that do to jobs. One or two are planning on moving their hq from the UK, will that stop or reduce pollution as they pander to the climate change people, we are only outsourcing our emissions to other countries. O&g industry is highly regulated and the pollution you get from exploration and drilling is much less than so many other countries. This is what the new govt has done on a month and the results will begin to show in time.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by budaatum: 1:20pm On Aug 04
Lexusgs430:

That's a spin...... The royals, are now actually costing you and me, more under charles, than under his mother ........😂

I'd call it the price of good governance.

If Nigeria was like the country in question you have all japad to, we wouldn't mind paying our leaders costing us more so we can peacefully and profitably live there. I think.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by budaatum: 1:26pm On Aug 04
justwise:

I have to disagree with on this, police in this country are treated worse than actual criminals with little or no respect. Kicking that guy on the head is the least I expected if you have watched previous videos.

The family of the ‘victims’ has put out a statement showing concerns for police officer.

No one else expected what you expected. Not even the bosses of the police, who have now reported themselves to the ICPC and suspended the police in question.

You don't go behaving like an animal because you believe the police are disrespected. Police training teaches that in the first few days, and those who don't learn don't wear the uniform for long if they at all pass probation.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by budaatum: 1:32pm On Aug 04
ReesheesuKnack:

For people on the far left (like MissJekyll here), the other side of the story doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if thugs kick and beat and brutalise the police. What matters is a 20 second video, clipped to show the aftermath of a police action.

This is no reason to take the law into the police's boot. In fact, the police's action in the 20 second video is likely to be the reason the "criminal" he booted gets off scot free and is paid compensation to boot. And the police doing the booting is likely to get a reprimand if not sacked.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 5:15pm On Aug 04
Hi, does anyone have an idea of what insurance is recommended for a visit visa to Turkey?

Note: Residents of Scotland are not required to use an agency (Voya Visa) as we can get an appointment directly at the embassy in Edinburgh.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 5:31pm On Aug 04
And so the random attacks, burning and looting continues, and nary a word of condemnation from the usual suspects who typically have much to say about public disorder. Instead, it's subtle justification and encouragement.

Again, should be food for thought for everyone.

Making me personally revisit many of my stances on issues.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:39pm On Aug 04
If you get caught in a riot,run in the opposite direction

The last time this happened in 2011,it took months but courts ran 24hrs everyday for weeks. Many got jail terms young and old.

The Director of public prosecutions at the time was one keir starmer who you may have heard of.

I wasn't here but I ve read this now from a quite a few KCs on twitter. They were wee lawyers at the time but still remember

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:51pm On Aug 04
deept:

I don't see any reaction from you on that but you were quick to criticize the other side on child poverty.

It's just one month and they've increased tax on energy companies from 75 to 78%, banned North sea oil and gas exploration. The majors are withholding new investment in the UK, what does that do to jobs. One or two are planning on moving their hq from the UK, will that stop or reduce pollution as they pander to the climate change people, we are only outsourcing our emissions to other countries. O&g industry is highly regulated and the pollution you get from exploration and drilling is much less than so many other countries. This is what the new govt has done on a month and the results will begin to show in time.

There is a climate emergency, do you not know this? Fossil fuels are directly responsible . I am in support of the government policy on this as I do not have any other planet to live on.
Also it's affecting my other country ,Nigeria which does not have the finances to mitigate the damage. Sahara is advancing while coastal areas are flooding regularly .
Prevention is better and cheaper than cure so I welcome this policy.
Go Labour.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:09pm On Aug 04
Goodenoch:
And so the random attacks, burning and looting continues, and nary a word of condemnation from the usual suspects who typically have much to say about public disorder. Instead, it's subtle justification and encouragement.

Again, should be food for thought for everyone.

Making me personally revisit many of my stances on issues.

The usual suspects are all acting and speaking as expected depending on which side they support.

With the 2011 and BLM protests/riots (and going back further to the Brixton riots and the like), left and "far left" supporters excused the protests and violence, instead pointing the focus on the endemic societal and institutional issues and injustice that led to the outpouring of anger. Meanwhile right and "far right" actors and media were hopping mad, especially as the protesters/rioters/looters were mostly black or of ethnic origin.

Flip over to the 2024 riots and the right and "far right" are sympathetic to the underlying grievances of the protesters/rioters/looters while others are aghast.

Same script, different actors.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 6:13pm On Aug 04
Wow, riots right here at Manvers, Holiday Inn, almost all its window glasses broken already. It is well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 6:34pm On Aug 04
Zahra29:

The usual suspects are all acting and speaking as expected depending on which side they support.

With the 2011 and BLM protests/riots (and going back further to the Brixton riots and the like), left and "far left" supporters excused the protests and violence, instead pointing the focus on the endemic societal and institutional issues and injustice that led to the outpouring of anger. Meanwhile right and "far right" actors and media were hopping mad, especially as the protesters/rioters/looters were mostly black or of ethnic origin.

Flip over to the 2024 riots and the right and "far right" are sympathetic to the underlying grievances of the protesters/rioters/looters while others are aghast.

grin grin shocked lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:35pm On Aug 04
Zahra29:

Oh for sure - that's correct but it's whataboutism and not relevant to my point in this specific context.

I'm not saying Farage and co are right or wrong for not speaking about it. Na dem get their mouth, and I know they'll act according to their goal of reversing immigration. I have no qualms with them excercising their right to pursue that democratically.

The fact is that their actions and utterances are posing a direct threat to me and people like me solely on the basis of how we look, and I'm pointing that out to people here because some had previously sympathized with them on the basis of alignment with some other goals of theirs.
To paraphrase missjekyll, I'm reminding the turkeys what Thanksgiving looks like.

That's why I phrased it as food for thought. For one, the distinction that people like to draw between legal and 'illegal' (not really, per the letter of the law) immigrants is clearly nonexistent in the eyes of the far right (I define this by willingness to utilise or encourage violence). Random people have been attacked and have had their businesses looted and property destroyed without any attempt to verify their immigration status.

The person who murdered those children is not even muslim, yet, the thugs on the streets have been targeting mosques.

Whether it's due to underlying grievances or not is an academic question from my perspective as someone worrying about my wife heading to work and back tomorrow, solely because I know that as a visibly African woman, she could be the target of violence without any attempt by the thugs to verify her immigration status (legal), role (highly qualified skilled worker), religion (Christian), contributions to the country (very high), 'benefits' taken (zero) and all the other things that they're saying are the cause of their rioting.

Hope you understand now.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 6:38pm On Aug 04
ehizario2012:
Wow, riots right here at Manvers, Holiday Inn, almost all its window glasses broken already. It is well.

Ooh, stay safe.

Reform and conservatives were competing with each other on who could be more anti-imigrant in rhetoric.

Both failed woefully at the polls but I guess their supporters still feel they have a score to settle.

They may start with muslims to not ruffle many feathers, but in reality even the likes of kemi badenoch and braverman do not meet the standard of being british in their dictionary and they will also get to them eventually and make that known.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 6:52pm On Aug 04
Goodenoch:

Oh for sure - that's correct but it's whataboutism and not relevant to my point in this specific context.

I'm not saying Farage and co are right or wrong for not speaking about it. Na dem get their mouth, and I know they'll act according to their goal of reversing immigration. I have no qualms with them excercising their right to pursue that democratically.

The fact is that their actions and utterances are posing a direct threat to me and people like me solely on the basis of how we look, and I'm pointing that out to people here because people had previously sympathized with them on the basis of alignment with some other goals of theirs. To paraphrase missjekyll, I'm reminding the turkeys what Christmas looks like.

That's why I phrased it as food for thought. For one, the distinction that people like to draw between legal and 'illegal' (not really, per the letter of the law) immigrants is clearly nonexistent in the eyes of the far right (I define this by willingness to utilise or encourage violence). Random people have been attacked and have had their shops looted and property destroyed without any attempt to verify their immigration status.

The person who murdered those children is not even muslim, yet, the thugs on the streets have been targeting mosques.

Whether it's due to underlying grievances or not is an academic question from my perspective as someone worrying about my wife heading to work and back tomorrow, solely because I know that as a visibly African woman, she could be the target of violence without any attempt by the thugs to verify her immigration status (legal), role (highly qualified skilled worker), religion (Christian), contributions to the country (very high), benefits taken from them (zero) and all the other things that they're saying are the cause of their rioting.

Hope you understand now.

Tensazangetsu20, remember the conversation we had this evening?

Here is another Nairalander echoing the same thought.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're legal, collect zero benefits or contribute to the economy by paying your taxes. What will matter is how you look.

When shit hits the fan, no one will care to see your ID card if you're legal or not.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:15pm On Aug 04
Goodenoch:

The fact is that their actions and utterances are posing a direct threat to me and people like me solely on the basis of how we look, and I'm pointing that out to people here because people had previously sympathized with them on the basis of alignment with some other goals of theirs. To paraphrase missjekyll, I'm reminding the turkeys what Christmas looks like.

That's why I phrased it as food for thought. For one, the distinction that people like to draw between legal and 'illegal' (not really, per the letter of the law) immigrants is clearly nonexistent in the eyes of the far right (I define this by willingness to utilise or encourage violence). Random people have been attacked and have had their shops looted and property destroyed without any attempt to verify their immigration status.

Whether it's due to underlying grievances or not is an academic question from my perspective as someone worrying about my wife heading to work and back tomorrow, solely because I know that as a visibly African woman, she could be the target of violence without any attempt by the thugs to verify her immigration status (legal), role (highly qualified skilled worker), religion (Christian), contributions to the country (very high), benefits taken from them (zero) and all the other things that they're saying are the cause of their rioting.

Hope you understand now.

Yes I do.

Hopefully the riots will calm down in the next couple of days. Brits typically don't have the rioting stamina of the French or the Bangladeshi.

Farage hasn't actually commented on the riots as far as I'm aware. Tice on the other hand has been vocal on Twitter highlighting that there has been violence on both sides of the riots. Legally I don't think there's going to be much to stick on them because they haven't actually called on people to go out and fight and destroy property. People will be held accountable for their own actions. It's like blaming Labour or Corbyn for fomenting the 2011 riots in which several people actually died.

What is more concerning is the damage done to police trust, cohesion and community relations. The cities where the more violent protests are being staged e.g. Rotherham, Sunderland etc exposes the deep anger and tensions that have been brewing over many years fuelled by deprivation, rising crime, inequality and a feeling of abandonment by the government. Similar reasons for previous riots, and these issues will need to be addressed by the government sooner or later.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:39pm On Aug 04
lavida001:

Why is the term far right and far left suddenly everywhere.

Some people have started using the term without knowing what they mean.
Iike some sort of UK based obahiagbons. Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:52pm On Aug 04
ehizario2012:

Gosh. Are you okay? How can I help? Just pop it in the timeline. Starmer needs to get a grip. I saw the mob setting fire to the ground floor of a hotel that had occupants in the upper floors. It was a holiday inn? Are you there? You need to get out.

And at least 2 ubers, drivers were dragged out and beaten.

Heartlessness and wickedness
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:28pm On Aug 04
missjekyll:

Gosh. Are you okay? How can I help? Just pop it in the timeline. Starmer needs to get a grip. I saw the mob setting fire to the ground floor of a hotel that had occupants in the upper floors. It was a holiday inn? Are you there? You need to get out.

And at least 2 ubers, drivers were dragged out and beaten.

Heartlessness and wickedness

It was a Holiday Inn housing asylum seekers which I'm sure Ehizario is not.

The fire was in a rubbish bin in front of the hotel, not the actual ground floor of the hotel.
That's bad enough, but let's not add to it by spreading misinformation

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:30pm On Aug 04
missjekyll:

Some people have started using the term without knowing what they mean.
Iike some sort of UK based obahiagbons. Lol

I'm pretty sure you started with all the "far right" and skin head labels. You just didn't like it when people labelled you "far left"😂

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) ... (664) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.