Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:51 AM

Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu (30865 Views)

Anxiety In 25 States As Govs, 324 Others Move Against Election Results / APC Primary: Buhari To Take Final Decision As Govs Failed To Reach Consensus / APC Crisis: Govs Back Down As Buhari Supports Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by jesmond3945: 4:50pm On Jun 08, 2023
Manny21:
What do you expect? It is just a matter of time, the forces of demand and supply will force down the price. Most petrol marketers rely on small profits quick turnover. The 540 per litre is NNPC price. Some of them will start reducing their profit margin to be able to offload what they present store.
only when they buy from dangote
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Ezmans: 4:51pm On Jun 08, 2023
Manny21:
What do you expect? It is just a matter of time, the forces of demand and supply will force down the price. Most petrol marketers rely on small profits quick turnover. The 540 per litre is NNPC price. Some of them will start reducing their profit margin to be able to offload what they present store.
Nigerians will buy petrol 2500 this year, save this I said
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by EmekaA125(m): 4:54pm On Jun 08, 2023
pandoragirigory:
The higher the price the lower the quantity demanded
Simple economies.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by lexy2014: 4:55pm On Jun 08, 2023
Basic123:

GEJ could have begged too ma

You didn't answer the question.

How did Tinubu forge on? I thought he begged the NLC not to.embark on strike?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2023
JAMO84:
There were no reasons for Jonathan not to pay subsidy, if he had the brain to reduce the fraud in his government. He had the highest revenue in Nigeria's history since 1914. Explain to me why he spent almost the same amount on Subsidy in 5 years, as Buhari in 8 years.

Amnot a Gej supporter, let's start from there

But to answer your question

1. Crude oil was between 90 to 130 dollars under GEJ and this had a knock on effect on cost of refining petrol AND cost of subsidies.

And the crude prices were so high that by 2013 subsidy could not cover the loss sustained from selling petrol at subsidy price.

2. Multiplicity of importers. Part of the subsidy costs went to them. Buhari cut costs by making nnpc the sole importer in 2016.

3. Smuggling too increased the costs.

There are good reasons why GEJ should have ended subsidy in 2012. But as we know he chose to listen to Nigerians and did parrial removal. Which reduced the costs.

4. Buhari spent less because crude was between 20 to 80 dollars under his regime. Subsidy costs fell. At one point crude oil prices were very low to render subsidy non existent as seen in 2020. Also, Buhari did far more partial removals of subsidies than GEJ. And as mentioned earlier he made NNPC the sole importer

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Bukola94: 5:03pm On Jun 08, 2023
Creamypie:
After obj/yar Adua, no government anymore
GEJ tried too. I respect him and Yaradua the most

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by erico2k2(m): 5:04pm On Jun 08, 2023
KingKO22:
I see PMS price depreciating any moment from now especially when there is competition among importers

BAT has done remarkably well within short period of time in office

I never regret voting and canvassing for you
Reduce to what, if you are thinking its going to be less than N500 you must rethink, Have a think from what country on this earth can you land petrol from into Nigeria @ N400?

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Westerville: 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2023
Islie:
The rise in the price of petrol has reduced the level of patronage at filling stations as Nigerians grapple with the ripple effects of the…

https://dailytrust.com/subsidy-removal-filling-stations-record-low-sales-as-govs-back-tinubu/

Both Tinubu and the governors are jokers,how on earth they think all Nigerians are workers.

How many % of workers do we have in Nigeria? Probably 25%-30% what happens to the remaining %, they will stay at home for all they care.

From the test of time Tinubu has nothing to offer, the same way we warned them about failure Bullhari, play play 100 days don reach with the same old story.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Bukola94: 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2023
millionboi2:
By next month people will start selling their cars.

Tinubu should open border thats when i will confirm that he is working.
Atiku promised to open border,tinubu should do that now if he wants a second term.
some borders have been open
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by erico2k2(m): 5:06pm On Jun 08, 2023
nairalanda1:

Amnot a Gej supporter, let's start from there

But to answer your question

1. Crude oil was between[b] 90 to 130 d[/b]ollars under GEJ and this had a knock on effect on cost of refining petrol AND cost of subsidies.

And the crude prices were so high that by 2013 subsidy could not cover the loss sustained from selling petrol at subsidy price.

2. Multiplicity of importers. Part of the subsidy costs went to them. Buhari cut costs by making nnpc the sole importer in 2016.

3. Smuggling too increased the costs.

There are good reasons why GEJ should have ended subsidy in 2012. But as we know he chose to listen to Nigerians and did parrial removal. Which reduced the costs.

4. Buhari spent less because crude was between 20 to 80 dollars under his regime. Subsidy costs fell. At one point crude oil prices were very low to render subsidy non existent as seen in 2020. Also, Buhari did far more partial removals of subsidies than GEJ. And as mentioned earlier he made NNPC the sole importer
Have you asked yourself howmuch crude oil was for the last three years?
if the price of oil was very high removing subsidy would be deemed death?I think once the electricity is fixed, the Biz of petrol would bw left to the motorist.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by odimbannamdi(m): 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2023
SmartyPants:
This is the beauty of free market economics.

Remove subsidies and people will only buy the amount of petrol needed. Excessive, wasteful usage decreases, more people will walk, more people will use public transport.

Eventually the retail outlets will be forced to reduce the prices, leading to that beautiful marriage between demand and supply known as equilibrium.

Wonderful, beautiful, efficient.
I agree!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Padipadi: 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2023
worksmart:
Remember that in December Mr President has another gift waiting for us, he is going to finally withdraw the old Naira notes, should make things even more chaotic grin , so much so we would even forget about fuel.

A few days of Tinubu and Nigerians already gaining an appreciation of how much better off we were under Buhari
Since everyone want to be mad, let everything go well jejely or it all scatter. That December should zoom in asap.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 5:14pm On Jun 08, 2023
erico2k2:

Have you asked yourself howmuch crude oil was for the last three years?
if the price of oil was very high removing subsidy would be deemed death?I think once the electricity is fixed, the Biz of petrol would bw left to the motorist.

From 2021.dec , crude did go above 100.dollars perbarrel.

But the problem was from 2014 to 2021, crude prices were around 20 to 80 dollars. For a large nation like Nigeria we needs it above 10p dollars per barrel.

We had to borrow to keep our head above water during the lean times and pay debts.

Which is why we never did benefit from the recent high prices.

If it sounds familiar we were here before. High oil prices from 1973 to 82 followed by low oil prices for the rest of the.decade

That's why i don't take this apc govt serious. No plan to take us away.from reliance on oil.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by B11la2b: 5:19pm On Jun 08, 2023
On god
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Kukutenla: 5:19pm On Jun 08, 2023
Nairalanda1 hope your marketers can pay salaries, taxes and other costs now
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 5:24pm On Jun 08, 2023
Kukutenla:
Nairalanda1 hope your marketers can pay salaries, taxes and other costs now

They have to, Wilson.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Corea4king(m): 5:26pm On Jun 08, 2023
Warl0ck:
u fit afford fuel?

Urch!n

What z ur problem here?,or don't u understand the write up.?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Simpubozz(m): 6:04pm On Jun 08, 2023
Dem private car people dey over calcu now lol.. make God no make person car spoil for house as e b like dis
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by ogbe88(m): 6:08pm On Jun 08, 2023
KingKO22:
I see PMS price depreciating any moment from now especially when there is competition among importers

U guys really have no sense

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:34pm On Jun 08, 2023
Bovis:

Spineless Jonathan no get the liver to remove the subsidy regardless of the protests - there are levels to power and authority

Your protested in 2012...

why not protest now..

i hate hypocrisy and it's lame defense
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Olas121: 6:45pm On Jun 08, 2023
Corridon:
It has also reduced the number of vehicles on the road.
Not reducing anything on ikorodu road.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Fearyourcreator: 6:57pm On Jun 08, 2023
Racoon:
All the wicked demons in government since 2015 were shouting fuel subsidy was a fraud but ended up committing the same fraud for the 8 years of their miserable reign.

Now they suddenly see the compulsive reason to do away with this economic disaster that ought to have been avoided since 2012. Playing partisan politics with a sensitive national issue they have zilch knowledge about.
Oga rest... This is 2023... One can only realise their mistakes .. So no kee yourself
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Elxandre(m): 8:02pm On Jun 08, 2023
grandstar:

At times, the problem wasn't hypocrisy but ignorance

The average person, even politicians have a very poor understanding of economics.

Oshiomole was dumbfounded when he became governor and realized that fuel subsidies actually cost money to provide. The cost will be deducted from the already lean allocation from federation account.

Had he known, he would have done things differently.
Oshiomole was governor in 2012 oga.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by shedy03(m): 8:06pm On Jun 08, 2023
KingKO22:

And you are now buying fuel at N100/L. Thumbs 👍 up
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by grandstar(m): 8:52pm On Jun 08, 2023
Elxandre:

Oshiomole was governor in 2012 oga.

What did I say wrong? He was one of the governors that supported GEJ's removal of petrol subsidies in January 2012. Please crosscheck.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Truvelisback(m): 9:13pm On Jun 08, 2023
KingKO22:

U can say that again. They can now drink their fuel. I didn't know that this was serious until I saw motorists begging me to board their vehicles. 😏
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Abbeytoy(m): 9:46pm On Jun 08, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hmmm

For almost four days now I never drive my Lexus

Any how waka way nor make sense I nor dey go

I better relax for house dey smoke and drink...even if I want to go beer parlour....na the one-way dey near me..the one trackable

For the 36k full tank way I buy, I go make sure to say I manage till next year

That's a good development, and walking to drink is also healthy.

You can also get a bicycle. You won't regret it
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Ejaisky: 11:23pm On Jun 08, 2023
ZombiePUNISHER:
undecided

Governors Back Tinubu's Subsidy removal

But in 2012 when Jonathan did same

The then Lagos State Governor and APc organized a protest against subsidy removal..
They mocked Jonathan
Taunted him and even carried a coffin.

There are levels to evil.
It was a gang up against the minority group by the major ethnic groups. Unfortunately, some people from minority ethnic groups didn't see it as such, and they joined the mob.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by TVTM2023: 4:31am On Jun 09, 2023
An end to the doom that we thought was a boom.oil the curse of Nigeria turns out to be a blessing for a few corrupt but now God is changing the narrative,it would now be curse for a few corrupt and blessing for major poor masses.
When we dump fuel vehicles and embrace electric and CNG vessels ,no one would teach all these idiots how to behave and pump price will reduce

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by Truvelisback(m): 7:16am On Jun 09, 2023
I also back Tinubu on this. Let's leave tribalism aside and support Tinubu on this as Nigeria takes a new shape.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by AroOkigbo(m): 8:35am On Jun 09, 2023
AntiChristian:
Some still dey queue outside!

Come see North west for Close to Anthony here!
Selling from two pumps grin
Re: Subsidy Removal: Filling Stations Record Low Sales As Govs Back Tinubu by AntiChristian: 8:38am On Jun 09, 2023
AroOkigbo:

Selling from two pumps grin

Like 10 pumps sef!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soludo Submits Anambra State's “VISION-2070” Perspective Development Plan / Buhari Is Free To Appoint All His Cabinet From One Village – Pat Utomi / EFCC Confronts Obanikoro With $1m Bureau De Change Receipts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.