Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,990 members, 7,973,413 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 04:12 PM

Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) (11072 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Tunde Bakare Tells Worshippers They Will Die If They Don’t Give God Money! / Which Is More Precious In The Sight Of God? Money Or Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by SisiKill1: 4:54pm On Oct 03, 2011
arsenefc:

You asked for forgiveness from god before you could help a fellow man?

What a heartless mo'afucker you serve! I dont want to worship your god. He is too authoritarian and greedy. Why does he want all the money to himself? Why? What a freaking greedy, gluttonous god you serve
Rotflmao!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
Some points in here are so valid! However, let us Give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God, what belongs to Him. The very fact that some pastors are not meeting up to God's expectation and standard shouldn't make you NOT to play your own part. Leave them to God to judge, while you Give your tithes. . . Also, tell God your intent to be a blessing unto that family and He'd meet you at the point of your needs.

IMO: #Maybe, there wouldn't be proliferation of NGOs if only churches take enough care of her members.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
Isnt there a place in the bible that tells us to give to the poor?

When was the last time I opened that dusty thing again. Lemme check brb.

So many greedy pastors and gullible "followers" on nl.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by saintfrank(m): 7:12pm On Oct 03, 2011
Most of the advice pple are suggesting here aren’t worth to be taken into consideration. A kind and god fearing person has post this topic to seek for a fair advice, on no reason should we start coming up with an aggressive suggestion. (@ Brother Agbo2) plz my advice is to give helping hands to your family when he needed it most. Our god is a mysterious God.

Though I no if we remember d wrong some of our brothers and sisters ve done towards us, our hands we be as tight as the rock. But is your duty to help him out of his misery, do it for the children and for God because we’re all looking forward to d future.

Tithe is not meant to be given into the church treasure alone, Tithe can also be pay in so many different ways, as long it has to do with contributing to God works. May God favor you and your beloved brother. A very great opportunity is just knocking at your brother door, and remember those who give in true and pure spirit never LACK
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 03, 2011
“Whotsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me.” Matt 25:40
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Agbo2(m): 8:02pm On Oct 03, 2011
am sincerely grateful to most of the posters here and cannot but wonder if some other posters read my post at all before their comment or perhaps they are replying to another post they read in possibly the auto section.

Why would I contemplate helping him from 10% tithe if I still have the 90% with me?

I read through every single post on this thread and I am happy I asked this questn rather than do what I think is right which may continue ringing in my head later.

Many thanks to you guys.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 9:07pm On Oct 03, 2011
martinosi:

GIVE THE BROTHER YOUR TITHE, THAT IS WHAT THE TITHE IS FOR,
ONLY 1/4 IS FOR THE PRIEST/HOUSE OF GOD, DEUTERONOMY 26:12

Eeeeewooooo! My belle O! My head O!
Wetin we no go read for nl
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by zataxs: 9:26pm On Oct 03, 2011
Just help someone if they need help and don't you feel need. Don't use this focus to justify not helping your needy family members in the vain attempt to by god's favour by tithing.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 9:36pm On Oct 03, 2011
Agbo2:

am sincerely grateful to most of the posters here and cannot but wonder if some other posters read my post at all before their comment or perhaps they are replying to another post they read in possibly the auto section.

Why would I contemplate helping him from 10% tithe if I still have the 90% with me?

I read through every single post on this thread and I am happy I asked this questn rather than do what I think is right which may continue ringing in my head later.

Many thanks to you guys.
Ah, our OP himself! It's a pleasure(methinks). i hope though, irrespective of whatever decision you took/will take, that it rang in your eyes that you're a greedy, covetous hypocrite who should repent of his hypocrisy? Mind you, i didn't say repent of giving or not giving tithe, but repent of your hypocrisy.
Before your sympathy voters descend, let me add this. Plan your life better in future. Today is 3RD! 3RD of October. Tomorrow's the 1st official working day if you're a salary earner. Seems you're salary earner about to tithe on the 1st Sunday(2nd October). You've spent 90% by 2nd October? And you knew you wanted to help a family out of job for two years? Help yourself ehn. The plan's to love your neighbour as yourself, pele.1st official working day if you're a salary earner. Seems you're salary earner about to tithe on the 1st Sunday(2nd October). You've spent 90% by 2nd October? And you knew you wanted to help a family out of job for two years? Help yourself ehn. The plan's to love your neighbour as yourself, pele.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by zataxs: 10:10pm On Oct 03, 2011
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Agbo2(m): 10:47pm On Oct 03, 2011
Image123:

Ah, our OP himself! It's a pleasure(methinks). i hope though, irrespective of whatever decision you took/will take, that it rang in your eyes that you're a greedy, covetous hypocrite who should repent of his hypocrisy? Mind you, i didn't say repent of giving or not giving tithe, but repent of your hypocrisy.
Before your sympathy voters descend, let me add this. Plan your life better in future. Today is 3RD! 3RD of October. Tomorrow's the 1st official working day if you're a salary earner. Seems you're salary earner about to tithe on the 1st Sunday(2nd October). You've spent 90% by 2nd October? And you knew you wanted to help a family out of job for two years? Help yourself ehn. The plan's to love your neighbour as yourself, pele.1st official working day if you're a salary earner. Seems you're salary earner about to tithe on the 1st Sunday(2nd October). You've spent 90% by 2nd October? And you knew you wanted to help a family out of job for two years? Help yourself ehn. The plan's to love your neighbour as yourself, pele.

@Image123, If your interpretation of remaining 90% not being with me is that I have spent it then so be it as I owe you no explanation on how I choose to employ my finances.
I will not descend to your level and start exchanging words with you cos I just read through a few of your empty posts. You are just not worth it.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PastorKun(m): 11:29pm On Oct 03, 2011
@image123
The fact that you parasite on other peoples sweat in the name of tithes and offerings has not made you realise that the average salary earner in Nigeria has spent at least 50% of his/her salary by the time it is collected. This is due to loan repayments, esusu, upfronts, goods bought on credit, standing orders and other family/ social commitments. Infact I know some people who are always down to zero even after collecting their salary. Your interest and love for the fraudulent doctrine of tithes is down to personal greed so stop trying to pass it off as the word opf God.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Oct 03, 2011
brother u need nt be afraid u did d right thing and d bible supports u,read deut 26vs12 to end.dats hw to pay ur tite nxt tym d church alredy has enuf
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Busybody2(f): 12:13am On Oct 04, 2011
Dearest Brethren, as you have read, tithing is not only about the first fruit for the Priests, which God entrusted you to give back to Him - a libertarian freewill the Government does not have the balls to accord human hence reason they are the first to get paid via taxation, so I pray God bless you to the extent that you would be able to meet your other oblatory needs[b] faithfully[/b], as God intended, in Jesus' name.

Seeing that the Church has abandoned this brother to his fate, do not dwell on this so leave the wolves in sheep's clothing for God the ultimate judge (See, the omniscience one we serve has got it all sussed out wink ) and keep your eyes on the ball and remember your calling:

Matthew 6
1) Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2) Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3) But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4) That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

19) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20) But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

25) Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26) Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27) Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28) And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29) And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30) Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31) Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32) For after all these things do the Gentiles seek forr your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34) Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself
. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 12:56am On Oct 04, 2011
Agbo2:

@Image123, If your interpretation of remaining 90% not being with me is that I have spent it then so be it as I owe you no explanation on how I choose to employ my finances.
I will not descend to your level and start exchanging words with you cos I just read through a few of your empty posts. You are just not worth it.
CONFIRMED.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by chioma134: 2:37am On Oct 04, 2011
I'm amazed at the height of ignorance exhibited by christians on nairaland. Truth is,not paying my tithe will not take me to hell,but ignoring a brother in need will definitely take me to hell.
@poster,do what u have to do. Help ur brother.
Starlett:

Interesting topic and discussions. But unfortunately, as usual I see people contributing largely based on what they've heard in Church and what they've heard from others, NOT from the Bible.
Now according to scriptures, the tithe is to be strictly used for the following purposes:
1. The upkeep of the clergy - yes, a good portion of the tithes ought to end up "in the Pastor's pocket", like it or not. The old testament priesthood was a full time calling and they depended on the tithes and other special offerings for their upkeep. What U have these days is that most people are unhappy to think that the pastor is the beneficiary of the tithe, in fact, a lot of churches don't even allow the local Pastor to smell the tithe. Everything is shipped off to the headquarters and used for capital projects, that's not the OT Biblical pattern (Num 18:24-28)

2. The welfare of the less privileged. Duet. 14:28 - This happened every 3 years and was strictly for the less-privileged in your immediate neighbourhood - the Levite, the fatherless, the widow, etc - So for the OP asking whether U can assist someone with your tithe, it's not only allowed, it is in fact COMMANDED.

3. As a holy meal sacred unto the LORD, strictly to be eaten in His presence. (Deut 12:6-7) I could go and on about tithes and tithing. SO much of what we teach and learn in our churches today are simply myths, with no bearing from Scriptures.

One thing we must note is that the much quoted scriptures in Malachi simply deal with the benefits of tithing and the negative impacts of not tithing, but NOT with what the tithe should be used for and to whom it should be given, how frequently, etc. We are the ones who have simply refused to sit down and study about tithing for our own spiritual good.

Anyone who studies the details of tithing in the old testament law - The 5 books of Moses where reference is made to it, particularly in Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, will realise that just like anything else under the law, it is IMPOSSIBLE to fulfil 100%. You can only do tithing as a covenant between U and God, same way that Abraham tithed in Genesis before the Law.

God bless,
You nailed it. I couldn't have put it better.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by iykak47: 6:50am On Oct 04, 2011
BOOBSLOVER:

Deuteronomy 14:22-29

New International Version (NIV)

Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And [b]do not neglect the Levite[/b]s living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the [b]Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows w[/b]ho live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by mastro: 7:31am On Oct 04, 2011
List of ungodly Christians

[list]
[li]DarkDrill
stillme
cicero
Texther
feel24
megacity
God2man
great1
Probity100
obua
denitro
stagger
gentles J
lekywhite
emmatok
bennyraz [/li]

[/list]

Do you guys actually read your Bibles, or just the parts and context that your pastors tell you to?

Na wa O! I only hope none of you happen to pass when I have a accident.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PastorKun(m): 7:52am On Oct 04, 2011
^^^
@mastro
You forgot to add image123 the most ungodly 'christian' on this thread.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by JimmyBoy1: 9:17am On Oct 04, 2011
From my personal experience, Tithe is sancrosanct, even if you spend your 10% on the church it still does not qualify as Tithe. Please pay your tithe first, and you can now help any other person if yous till have the means.

Dont Forget is not your money in the first place, that is why bible called defaulters "Thieves" and not "ungenerous". Therefore you are not at liberty to exercise discretion.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Enigma(m): 10:41am On Oct 04, 2011
@ Jimmy Boy

Kindly take part in the two polls below: please explain your reasons for your choices, thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=744234.0;viewResults

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-747403.0.html

smiley
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by akpanbaba: 11:55am On Oct 04, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][b]List of ungodly Christians

•DarkDrill
stillme
cicero
Texther
feel24
megacity
God2man
great1
Probity100
obua
denitro
stagger
gentles J
lekywhite
emmatok
bennyraz

Do you guys actually read your Bibles, or just the parts and context that your pastors tell you to?

Na wa O! I only hope none of you happen to pass when I have a accident.

You dont blame these people because they dont pay tithes.Pray for them.

To the poster,please go ahead and help the brother.I have done it before and i dont see anything bad in it.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by nuella2(f): 2:00pm On Oct 04, 2011
Are you sure your tithe can buy this family breakfast,lunch and dinner for a week, cos the way you are sounding is like you need to help urself with ur tithe grin grin grin. Sincerely what help will your tithe do for a man with a wife and kids, if you want to help him you need to do something tangible, something that can make the man stand again, maybe a loan from the office will be a good idea.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 5:54pm On Oct 04, 2011
Pastor Kun:

^^^
@mastro
You forgot to add image123 the most ungodly 'christian' on this thread.
Jealousi jealousi na hin dey worry you. KunleOshob the false accuser.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by wetu: 8:42am On Oct 05, 2011
nuella2:

Are you sure your tithe can buy this family breakfast,lunch and dinner for a week, cos the way you are sounding is like you need to help urself with your tithe grin grin grin. Sincerely what help will your tithe do for a man with a wife and kids, if you want to help him you need to do something tangible, something that can make the man stand again, maybe a loan from the office will be a good idea.

Why are you people so presumptuous when it comes to tithing? Another one here speculates that maybe the brother lost his job because he wasn't tithing.

Gal 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by wetu: 8:48am On Oct 05, 2011

Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by wetu: 8:55am On Oct 05, 2011

al 5:1 Stand fast therefore[b] in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free[/b], and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

How did Christ make us free?

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Which ordinances did He nail to the cross?

Mal 3:7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

He nailed them to the cross!

Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Let us fulfill the law of Christ as He has taught us:

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by ecenter(m): 9:25am On Oct 05, 2011
Tithe is God's money. Although it is meant to take care of the needy and the ministers in the house of God. Now my humble counsel is that you should pray with Him. And if he is worshiping with you at the same church tell the senior pastor the problem.
But if you give him the Tithe, remember it is not your money, therefore you don't have the absolute power to give it out.God will not judge you for not giving out the money because it is unethical to use church money in ones hand.

Except you are hundred percent sure that you will replace the money before the church asks of it. Otherwise please don't touch it .
God will always make a way when there is no way. He will make a way for the brother in need, that is my prayer.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PastorKun(m): 10:39am On Oct 05, 2011
@ecenter
It is the devil himself that wrote your last post through you. In the first place there is no such thing as tithes being God's money in the bible as monetary tithes from income does not exist in the bible. Biblical tithes was strictly produce and livestock which must be from the land of Israel. Tithing money from income is a modern day invention of greedy preachers and it is clearly not from the word of God but derived from twisted scripture.

@Poster
As a christian you have the liberty to give as you purpose in your heart. Allow God to use you to be a blessing to your friend by giving the said money to your friend in need.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Joagbaje(m): 5:02am On Oct 07, 2011
@OP

Matthew 22:21
. Then He said to them, Pay therefore to Caesar the things that are due to Caesar, and pay to God the things that are due to God.

If the money was set aside for God as tithe , it should not be used for any other thing. Why not borrow from another person, why not sell your watch. If a man wants to give there' is always something to give.  Why should it be Gods own you will consider giving. Is it a must you must be the one to help them? If it's a must, then sacrifice yourself. Sell your fridge , tv. Etc. You can't seat in comfort and say you don't have. If Money is set aside for a purpose , you must use it for the purpose. It is discipline. If money is set aside for land lord,or your parents, you must use it. If not , God sees it as indiscipline . There were different kinds of givings in the bible. There is a giving for parents. Jesus said you shouldn't even give what is for your parents to God. You must use money for what is set aside for.

Mark 7:11-13
11 But [as for you] you say, A man is exempt if he tells [his] father or [his] mother, What you would otherwise have gained from me [everything I have that would have been of use to you] is Corban, that is, is a gift [already given as an offering to God], 12 Then you no longer are permitting him to do anything for [his] father or mother [but are letting him off from helping them]. 13 Thus you are nullifying and making void and of no effect [the authority of] the Word of God through your tradition, which you [in turn] hand on. And many things of this kind you are doing.

By the way why won't you have money? That's why the message of faith and prosperity has to be well taught. A christian must have money to do ministry. You can't help others by living from hand to mouth as some religious folks are teaching.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PastorKun(m): 6:43am On Oct 07, 2011
Trust Joagbaje to come and spread his poison any where he sees money/ tithe is mentioned. Jesus made it clear that giving to those in need is giving to God, so it is perfectly ok to give money set aside for God to a friend in need.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Zikkyy(m): 8:25am On Oct 07, 2011
Joagbaje:

Is it a must you must be the one to help them? If it's a must, then sacrifice yourself.

That's a pastor talking grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? / The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ! / Christians And Moslems Can Be Friends!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.