Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,958 members, 7,873,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:53 AM

Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) (10996 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Tunde Bakare Tells Worshippers They Will Die If They Don’t Give God Money! / Which Is More Precious In The Sight Of God? Money Or Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Orblonde: 9:16pm On Oct 02, 2011
You are religious but not spritual (like most nigerians) else this would noy have been an issue. GIVE HIM THE MONEY!!!!!!!!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by arsenefc: 9:16pm On Oct 02, 2011
I'm not a big Tithe fan but I try not to condemn people who give Tithes. So you have some money in hand, some sort of extra change you can afford to part with, and here you are trying to decide whether to give it to your pastor or help out a brother who served his god, the same god you serve, at the detriment of his job. Do you really imagine that this supreme being, creator of the universe, master of the galaxies, is up there trying to decide whether it is right or wrong to help a fellow human being in need? And if there is such a god, how could you respect him?

I can't attribute any fancy existential philosophy to my upbringing. I have no idea why my parents brought me up the way they did in the most secular way possible, but I think the idea was, since there is no evidence of God and certainly no evidence of a morally engaged god, then we have a great moral burden to carry. If there is no moral god then whatever moral actions are taken in the world have to be taken by us. This is how I was raised and this is how my children would be  raised. Do good not because god is watching, but because no god is watching
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 02, 2011
Bring all tithe 2 my house so dat there can be food in my house. The tithe is not meant 4 u 2 spend on a brother. After paying d tithe God shall provide abundantly 4 u 2 take care of your brother. Do u know maybe your brother is suffering because he doesnt pay his tithe when he was working. If he pays, God will never 4get him. Dont worry about where the tithe ends as long as u have obey God's word. Obedience is better than sacrifice ooo

Rubbish !!!

Where is tithing commanded in the bible undecided
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 9:20pm On Oct 02, 2011
kurus:

If you give that money as tithe, God will not be happy with you. Remember when david and his soldiers ate the shewbread before the Lord cos there was no other food to eat? That guys needs the help more than the pastor!
David is highly favoured by God cos he knows how 2 praise God so much and that makes him 2 go away wit some sin without being punished. Dont compare urself wit him, its better you hearken 2 the commandment of God, remember He said ye are my friends if u keep my commandments. Do u want 2 be God's enemy??
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 9:24pm On Oct 02, 2011
Deuteronomy, do u have a bible
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by coogar: 9:27pm On Oct 02, 2011
Agbo2:

I have a brother in my church who lost his job during the 2009 Tsunami experienced in Nigerian Banking sector.
He has been out of job since then, his wife is not working too with 3 kids to cater for.
Before the service started this morning, we spent 5 to 7 mins together and he let me into a little of what he has been going through and that his 3 kids are yet to resume back to school because they don't have any money to pay their fees.

I encouraged him as a brother to keep praying to God, that only God is capable of pulling him through all this.
But come to think of it, will God come down from heaven to assist this brother in need?
The money in my hands, isn't it God's money?

I am here asking for your advise because I ended up not dropping the tithe and I am still holding on to it hoping to give it to that brother to settle part of his children school fees so they can get back to school.

I would av loved to assist him from another source but wat i av left is not even enof for my monthly transportation cost not to talk of some other needs I am yet to meet.

Candid advise only please.

love your neighbour as yourself is the ultimate law. tithing is also important but helping a neighbour by showing love and care is above tithing.
if i were you, the money meant for the tithe would go to that church brother of yours.
heavens love a giver.

but then, what kind of church is that that the church cannot help one of the sheep in the church.
i know of at least 3 families my church pay their rents here in london for the past 3 years. it's a big church though but the church elders still have to do what they have to do! the offerings and tithes are not burnt on the altar to make sacrifices to the heavens. they are spent to aid gospel and to take care of the congregation.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by babaowo: 9:28pm On Oct 02, 2011
charity begins @ home.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 9:33pm On Oct 02, 2011
frosbel:

Rubbish !!!

Where is tithing commanded in the bible  undecided
Deuteronomy, do you have a bible
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by debosky(m): 9:42pm On Oct 02, 2011
I knew the 'religious' folk would soon come in - saying he shouldn't help his friend and instead give it to a church where you don't even know if it will help someone with such pressing needs. undecided
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by arsenefc: 9:44pm On Oct 02, 2011
^^^

Hows your sugar mummy?
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by debosky(m): 9:45pm On Oct 02, 2011
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by dasarge(m): 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2011
Listen brother, God has already directed you to help that brother out with the money in your possession! why the hesitation? ask yourself, does this brother meet with you and gist for 5-7 minutes every sunday or before every service? what is the essence of tithe? Tithe economically is to bring about what we call in ecnomics as Economics of scale or Average Cost( here all the rich bring their 10% to the church and everybody, including the poor can eat) that was the original purpose before we started monetising it in recent times.

When Jesus talked about cheerful givers, was he just talking about giving to church (i mean the house of God) or about church (the people)?

God has already directed your steps, dont listen to texther, he is possibly one of those religious fanatics we have killing Nigeria. Muslims dont give tithes, but they help their fellow man, and in return, they receive abundant blessings!

texther said you should pay the money to the house of God and he will in return bless you, so that you can bless the brother in need!! IMO this is not wise as your salary id not going to be doubled within days or hours ( i mean honestly) so please seize the opportunity that God has brought your way by blessing the brother with the money in your hands and in return, watch out for the blessings that WILL come your way.

God bless you.

p.s. this works for me, I give to to the nearest man in need and oh My, God has always surprised me,
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by coogar: 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2011
debosky:

I knew the 'religious' folk would soon come in - saying he shouldn't help his friend and instead give it to a church where you don't even know if it will help someone with such pressing needs.  undecided

lots of christians are misguided!
they probably feel the tithes are placed in a gold-plated altar. . . . .and the money is set on fire so the smoke can dance it's way to heaven!

little did they know the tithes pay for the fuel that runs the church buses, pay the engineers and workers in the church, sometimes pay the pastor's salary and the tesco products churches use to entertain their guests!

i will definitely assist that family - my tithe can wait till the next month!
charity begins at home!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2011
I'll advise u pray 4 God's guidance and follow ur heart. I know u are confused by everybody's advice.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by arsenefc: 9:49pm On Oct 02, 2011
debosky:

NB. Isnt she your sugarmama

What about your ghay friend?
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by kurus: 9:49pm On Oct 02, 2011
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 9:53pm On Oct 02, 2011
dasarge:

Listen brother, God has already directed you to help that brother out with the money in your possession! why the hesitation? ask yourself, does this brother meet with you and gist for 5-7 minutes every sunday or before every service? what is the essence of tithe? Tithe economically is to bring about what we call in ecnomics as Economics of scale or Average Cost( here all the rich bring their 10% to the church and everybody, including the poor can eat) that was the original purpose before we started monetising it in recent times.

When Jesus talked about cheerful givers, was he just talking about giving to church (i mean the house of God) or about church (the people)?

God has already directed your steps, dont listen to texther, he is possibly one of those religious fanatics we have killing Nigeria. Muslims dont give tithes, but they help their fellow man, and in return, they receive abundant blessings!

texther said you should pay the money to the house of God and he will in return bless you, so that you can bless the brother in need!! IMO this is not wise as your salary id not going to be doubled within days or hours ( i mean honestly) so please seize the opportunity that God has brought your way by blessing the brother with the money in your hands and in return, watch out for the blessings that WILL come your way.

God bless you.

p.s. this works for me, I give to to the nearest man in need and oh My, God has always surprised me,
and who told u Im a muslim??
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by dasarge(m): 9:57pm On Oct 02, 2011
My Texther, I have not said that you are muslim! shocked Read my post!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Sagewood: 10:01pm On Oct 02, 2011
No point being harsh and super critical of the poster. He asked for opinions not vernom.
For the poster, help the brother and family in need and your blessings will be multipled many folds by GOD.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 10:03pm On Oct 02, 2011
Flyboy Zee:

My brother, this is the end of the matter, fear God and obey His commandments.
Shikenah ahi!!!
which of His commandments? to pay tithe or 2 help pple? be specific
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by member479760: 10:06pm On Oct 02, 2011
it's not by force to send children to private school, let them go Awo's school, most of the new generation prof are products of it.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Texther(m): 10:10pm On Oct 02, 2011
dasarge:

My Texther, I have not said that you are muslim! shocked Read my post!

dasarge:

God bless you.

maybe u forgot. I'll 4give u.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by harakiri(m): 10:12pm On Oct 02, 2011
Once again, religion faults itself in it's assumed "morality" status. Here we have a guy who is having a hard time deciding between helping someone in need or pay his tithe (to a pastor who will add that up to his down payment on those 23" lexani rims for his maybach benz). Is it really that hard to decide? Utterly pitiful!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by feel24: 10:18pm On Oct 02, 2011
It's good to help ur brother but since that is ur tithe I think obedient is better than scarify  may God help u as make
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by megacity: 10:21pm On Oct 02, 2011
if u are not sure what to do concerning ur tithe, u should ask ur pastor and not come to NL for advice.

tithe is just ten percent. Give God's money to him and then u can help ur bro out of the remaining ninety percent as much as u want
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by megacity: 10:22pm On Oct 02, 2011
if u are not sure what to do concerning ur tithe, u should ask ur pastor and not come to NL for advice.

tithe is just ten percent. Give God's money to him and then u can help ur bro out of the remaining ninety percent as much as u want
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by tsharp(m): 10:27pm On Oct 02, 2011
God does not need tithes
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Enigma(m): 10:30pm On Oct 02, 2011
^^^ God does not even ask anyone for tithes!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by God2man(m): 10:36pm On Oct 02, 2011
Why do people think that they know more Than God? Why? God said Tithe belong to him. People are saying another thing. @Agbo2 when the brother was working in the bank,did he use to pay tithe? Was he a generous brother? Did he use to give to the needy around him? How many people in your church have benefited from him,while he was in the bank? All these questions may not be important,but i know that whatever we do come back to us,if not now,but later. Whatever you sow,you reap.@Agbo2 please,find another means of helping your brother,if at all you you want to use your tithe,let all these questions guide your decisions.Remember to pay back your tithe if eventually you use the tithe for your brother, pls.read Leviticus 27:31"if a man will AT ALL redeem ought of his tithe,he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof" it means you will pay back the value of your tithe,and you shall add 20% to the tithe, as a fine for paying back. It is a serious matter. We pretend to know God in all ways,while we turn deaf ear when it comes to the issue of money. May God help us. God2man.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 02, 2011
Most of these "Give the tithe to the church" posters on NL are hungry pastors.

I seriously feel sorry for misguided Nigerian Christians. Quit reading your Bible upside down plz.

arsenefc:

I'm not a big Tithe fan but I try not to condemn people who give Tithes. So you have some money in hand, some sort of extra change you can afford to part with, and here you are trying to decide whether to give it to your pastor or help out a brother who served his god, the same god you serve, at the detriment of his job. Do you really imagine that this supreme being, creator of the universe, master of the galaxies, is up there trying to decide whether it is right or wrong to help a fellow human being in need? And if there is such a god, how could you respect him?

I can't attribute any fancy existential philosophy to my upbringing. I have no idea why my parents brought me up the way they did in the most secular way possible, but I think the idea was, since there is no evidence of God and certainly no evidence of a morally engaged god, then we have a great moral burden to carry. If there is no moral god then whatever moral actions are taken in the world have to be taken by us. This is how I was raised and this is how my children would be  raised. Do good not because god is watching, but because no god is watching

I had to think a moment here to decide if . . . . did you just post sth with common sense?

God is really a good God.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by DarkDrill(m): 10:41pm On Oct 02, 2011
@Poster, I beg you, pay your tithes to God and do not rob Him. As a Christian, you are in partnership with God. That 10% of what GOD HAS GIVEN YOU must be tithed to your place of worship. You can GIVE to the needy but PAY your non-negotiable tithes. I am considering you, if you give "brother" you begin to allow the DEVOURER run rampage in your finances. That 10% is not enough to pull "brother" out of poverty but enough to tip you towards it. I also find it hard to believe that "brother" would not get any assistance from the church, but if that's so, then go right to the senior pastor or as high as you can go and make enquiries on "brother's" behalf.

Also note, most of the replies I have seen here on Nairaland as regards Christianity are sent by people who are ignorant of God's Word. Why continue in a Church and believe and teach others to believe the pastor steals the tithe? Leave the church and go where you feel the pastor is honest. Or if you insist all are thieves, that means God made a mistake by sending pastors/churches/etc?

If you don't believe, don't spoil it for others who it will benefit. @OP beware of ravenous wolves in SHEEP clothing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Don't Be Deceived, God Cares About Our Outward Appearance / Who Is The Best Pastor In Nigeria? / "I Traveled To Mecca And Came Back To Become A Pastor"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.