Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,845 members, 7,872,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:21 PM

Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified (3868 Views)

If Peter Obi Is Disqualified At The Presidential Tribunal / Doyin Okupe: Why Peter Obi Dumped PDP, Withdrew From Presidential Race / 2023 Presidency: Anyone Who Says "I Don’t Like Money" Is Disqualified — Abe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by chidiokay: 8:15am On Jul 19, 2023
jumobi1:

Don’t take things personal. Agbakoba, SAN raised this issue before the election. Other senior advocates are debating the issue. Yes I think it could have been drafted better.

Trust we are far from that junction " personal" .. I am trying so hard to see things from your angle which still can't

The fuss here is 25% in the FCT, would it have being better if FCT was drafted as superior over 36 main states ..
In subsequent elections what do you think will happen when aspirants know FCT is the major decider ...

As electorate and as a Nigerian living elsewhere how will you feel knowing your candidate can't win except people in FCT assent to it. should we start worshipping people in abuja in advance cheesy

which is better lipsrsealed
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by udeh3(m): 9:19am On Jul 19, 2023
YouAreFinished:

So if I get 90% of total votes,but I didn't get 25% in Abuja,then I can't be President?
How does that make sense.

Are you aware that one can have the highest number of votes and still not win the election if the party doesn't win according to the Constitution, that is, 25% in 24 states? Having the highest of vote isn't the issue, the votes must be spread to show acceptability. Mind you, the Constitution has been there before the election, so, even the parties are aware of this. In US Hilary Clinton had more votes than Trump...

What matter is the Constitution and not sentiments or whatever. This is to ensure the president isn't a regional president
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by gawu1: 9:37am On Jul 19, 2023
udeh3:

The president by default is the governor of Abuja so to speak. You can't be the head of a place if 25% of the people there didn't vote for you. It's like staying in a home you're not wanted. In the Nigerian Constitution, Abuja is unified state and the Federal Character is employed in most appointments and things done there. It's a state that binds all Nigerians together, hence the 25%. Note that the Constitution didn't state, anyone with the highest vote or 50%, it also stated 25% which is reasonable.

I really don't envy the judges in the tribunal
God bless NIGERIA
Going by your argument, any state a presidential candidate fails to secure 25% of vote cast there, he or she should not be regarded by the people of that state as president, even though he meets up with other constitutional requirements.
But the same you want Obi to be declared president of Nigeria even though he only secured 25% in 16 states and only secured majority votes in 12 out of the 36 states and Abuja!
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by SOSinNigeria: 10:02am On Jul 19, 2023
opera1:

I'm dat case, a candidate can neglect other state and focus on Abuja only for his victory.
Make una dey play o

You people just argue without trying to understand facts. What is a democracy? It is government of the people, by the people and for the people!

You can't win an election to represent people in a democracy without them supporting you.

The Constitution stated that for a candidate to win, you must get at least 25% in 2/3 of the states AND the FCT. Are you aware that a candidate can win the NW, NC and NE landslide to have majority of votes cast but still fail because the 3 zones only amount to 19 states, which is not enough? Does it now mean that Southern states are more important than Northern states?

Those that created the Constitution aren't fools. They know that FCT has no governor. The president acts the governor. Don't you think it would be unfair for them in a democracy not to have a say in who rules over them?

The Constitution didn't say you must win FCT before you emerge as president because they know it will complicate things. Rather, they said you must get at least 25%. Now, there is no how a popular presidential candidate will be able to win across Nigeria and fail to get ordinary 25% in FCT! The mindset of Nigerians residing in FCT is a reflection of what happens in the rest of the country because virtually all Nigerians are found in FCT. Muslims and Christians, Northerners and Southerners!

If it's difficult to get 25% in FCT, then why did all presidents since 1999 able to get it except Tinubu?

Tinubu didn't get it because he wasn't popular among Nigerians and they weren't able to rig it.
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by udeh3(m): 10:50am On Jul 19, 2023
gawu1:

Going by your argument, any state a presidential candidate fails to secure 25% of vote cast there, he or she should not be regarded by the people of that state as president, even though he meets up with other constitutional requirements.
But the same you want Obi to be declared president of Nigeria even though he only secured 25% in 16 states and only secured majority votes in 12 out of the 36 states and Abuja!

Can you point where I said Obi should be declared? What has killed us as a nation and it's still killing us is being myopic and ignorance

I stand for the law and the land and not for any individual

The FCT isn't a state, it's an Area Council and therefore, the president is the governor of the Council, being said, he's made to have 25% of the FCT being the capital. The FCT represents different tribes, regions and religion. So, it's a perfect sample. The Constitution isn't stupid

So, I speak in line with the Constitution and not what other says

Even Obi in his case didn't state that he should be declared, but, ignorant minds like you thought he's pursuing being declared the winner

Why not relax and learn the process
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by DeOTR: 12:32am On Jul 20, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:

Abuja is not a state dude!
Is that not why they had to mention it after the states of the federation since its not primarily a state? Otherwise, it would have been unconstitutional to conduct any election in Abuja.
I don't understand the confusion this or is English language that hard?
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by DeOTR: 12:35am On Jul 20, 2023
udeh3:

Oga, Nigeria is made up of 36 States simple! The FCT was defined as the second component of the Constitution. It also went on to discuss the formulation. It was clear on it definition of Abuja as an Area Council which is headed by the president
Abuja is an Area Council headed by the President? As in, Area Council? I pity the guy trying to explain things to you lots.

1 Like

Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by YouAreFinished: 1:55am On Jul 20, 2023
udeh3:

Are you aware that one can have the highest number of votes and still not win the election if the party doesn't win according to the Constitution, that is, 25% in 24 states? Having the highest of vote isn't the issue, the votes must be spread to show acceptability. Mind you, the Constitution has been there before the election, so, even the parties are aware of this. In US Hilary Clinton had more votes than Trump...

What matter is the Constitution and not sentiments or whatever. This is to ensure the president isn't a regional president
What can be more regional than making a single state determine the entire outcome of an election?
Re: Here Is Why Peter Obi Is Next In Line If Tinubu Is Disqualified by udeh3(m): 3:35am On Jul 20, 2023
YouAreFinished:

What can be more regional than making a single state determine the entire outcome of an election?

Please, name the state?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2024 Budget: No Fire Brigade Approach – Senator Adeola / Top Ten Private Jets By Wealthy Nigerians.(pictures) / Alert! Before Pdp Takes Over Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.