Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,645 members, 7,889,091 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:45 PM

Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? (10671 Views)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids β€” Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Zupay: 3:06pm On Jul 26, 2023
They should first understand their local language then proper English before being fluent in the pidgin version.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Image123(m): 3:06pm On Jul 26, 2023
Because it is useless outside the Nigerian context. Priority should be the proper English language, and then the local language. Pidgin english is informal and can be caught up with anytime later.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Juniorangel(m): 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2023
OP why you sef no write am for pidgin English.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by AlshEliXander: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2023
Don't miss this opportunity, only for new accounts

Register new palmpay account with invitation code CZLN9934 and get registration bonus up to 4,500 naira. No need to deposit.

Do you have a palmpay account already? Logout and register a new account using a second number and enjoy your bonus. Cheers!.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by olisaEze(m): 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2023
because it’s bad English!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Vinnie2000(m): 3:14pm On Jul 26, 2023
Well,

It's because you can't use it in Addressing a Gathering with Highly Educated and Exposed persons. πŸ˜•

My main Issue is Phonetics Taught to Children in private schools. πŸ˜’

Must we speak Exactly like British Pple? undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Vinnie2000(m): 3:17pm On Jul 26, 2023
TemplarLandry:
smiley

As it's Not Peter Obi matter to Criticize, your Mouth is Shut, abi?πŸ˜’

And no Song to Dedicate? πŸ˜•
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Deeprooted: 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2023
You should have typed " Why e b say Nigerian parents no want make their children speak pidgin English" with that we will know you are pushing for it

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by ChronicGp(m): 3:31pm On Jul 26, 2023
Pidgin suppose dey for students curriculum.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by member13(m): 3:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
Look at all of us conversing in a language that our colonizers bequeathed us. Even when I am amongst Nigerians who all speak a particular language, everyone wants to form and show off their prowess in English. Every other great nation uses a particular native language as the language of instruction in their institutions, but not us. We have been mentally colonized to the point that we see our native languages as inferior. Wouldn't it have been better for Buhari to speak his native language and have it translated as opposed to having suffered through his barely comprehensible English?

Russia has over 193 ethnic groups and hundreds of language, but they do not speak English nor deem it necessary. Heck, when I converse with so many Nigerians online, they incessantly use American slang, especially African American slang. Sometimes I ask myself, what exactly is the cultural backgrounds of most Nigerians? Foreign language. Foreign religions. Foreign attires. Foreign method of governance. Lots of foreign names. And almost no one sees it as a problem. Colonized People!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by illicit(m): 3:38pm On Jul 26, 2023
reiddecuti:
The earlier we adopt pigin English as our official English the better for us. Rather than going round the circle f00ling ourselves trying to please our masters.

We can regulate and standardize it.

Just like South Africa, Australia, Canada and even US have their own English version.

Sorry to say

That's not pidgin

That is South African English
Australian English
Canadian English
American English ...

We have Nigerian English as well, it is different to Pidgin

Pidgin still differs to Creole

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by MightySparrow: 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2023
It is a distortion of the original. Why not pidgin Igbo or yoruba language?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by RoadMozart(m): 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2023
That is one of the reasons why pidgin cannot be accepted as our official language. It lacks uniformity in that aspect
illicit:

Do you realize that pidgin English has varieties

Hausa man own different to Warri o

Yeah

So actually, in China where Mandarin is the official language, not every Chinese speaks Mandarin as a native tongue, u will have to learn it at school

U don't have to be taught in a language u already know, Education is all about learning
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2023
Because they are still learning, let them learn the correct English.
Developmental stage.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Alusiizizi(m): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

Why do our parents feel like pidgin English is a forbidden language..

Because pidgin English IS bad English. Many points to criticize pidgin on, vocabulary volume, mechanics, not to speak of spelling, that's why it belong in the realm of touts and ne'er-do-wells!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by rex21: 3:58pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:
Honestly, I feel like if most of the subjects we struggled to understand in secondary school e.g Mathematics, were taught in pidgin English, alot of us would have become mathematics wizards...

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences...

Sometimes you see some parents seriously warning Their kids never to speak pidgin else they get flogged...

In all honesty, this write up makes no sense. What if you were taught in your very own native language, will you still be a whiz ??.
Pidgin english is chaos. What good can come out of chaos ??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by NeckingNgulping(m): 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2023
Pidgin english is not comprehensive. In other words, it is incomplete. You can't express yourself properly with it as it doesn't have enough vocabularies for proper expression.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Armaggedon: 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
It is not a standard language. It is the inferior version a language that is largely informal and belongs to the 'street'
One of causes of behavioural rot in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Hotguy27: 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:
Honestly, I feel like if most of the subjects we struggled to understand in secondary school e.g Mathematics, were taught in pidgin English, alot of us would have become mathematics wizards...

You can't go to China or Japan and find their teachers teaching their students in English, that is one of the reasons I believe these guys are witches and wizards when it comes to anything Maths and Sciences...

Sometimes you see some parents seriously warning Their kids never to speak pidgin else they get flogged...

Because one can't use it to write English Language exams and expects to pass.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Davidtalo121: 4:12pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

Because it's used mostly in Nigerian settings and if you would want your child to go far in life and career, he's/she's going to have to adapt to international settings and that'll be only possible with a comprehensive knowledge of the English language.
The Nigerian accent already is a problem, if not we won't be asked for the demeaning IELTS exams before we have to study abroad, don't complicate your child's life further

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Davidtalo121: 4:16pm On Jul 26, 2023
member13:
Look at all of us conversing in a language that our colonizers bequeathed us. Even when I am amongst Nigerians who all speak a particular language, everyone wants to form and show off their prowess in English. Every other great nation uses a particular native language as the language of instruction in their institutions, but not us. We have been mentally colonized to the point that we see our native languages as inferior. Wouldn't it have been better for Buhari to speak his native language and have it translated as opposed to having suffered through his barely comprehensible English?

Russia has over 193 ethnic groups and hundreds of language, but they do not speak English nor deem it necessary. Heck, when I converse with so many Nigerians online, they incessantly use American slang, especially African American slang. Sometimes I ask myself, what exactly is the cultural backgrounds of most Nigerians? Foreign language. Foreign religions. Foreign attires. Foreign method of governance. Lots of foreign names. And almost no one sees it as a problem. Colonized People!
Like if you've got a national language everyone should be using without the violent suppression of native and regional languages like it happened in your model Europe and Russia, we would be happy to adapt.
Moreso don't forget as a multicultural nation, English is the only language you can use to communicate with people (Useful people) outside your region and environment
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by drololaaof: 4:18pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

The irony of it is that the so called english they speak cannot pass WAEC or use of english if you want to travel outside Nigeria . We tend to downgrade what we have
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by beardedboy(m): 4:30pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:

It has the potential to corrupt your formal English. Children are oblivious to the difference between the two so they can mix it up and never recover for life.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by phemmyfour: 4:31pm On Jul 26, 2023
reiddecuti:
The earlier we adopt pigin English as our official English the better for us. Rather than going round the circle f00ling ourselves trying to please our masters.

We can regulate and standardize it.

Just like South Africa, Australia, Canada and even US have their own English version.
lolz pidgin isn't our version. We have ours and it shows in our accent.

Pidgin aka broken English is spoken across anglophone Country. The proper English is "broken down" and infused with native language/slangs for easier communication.

Nigeria pidgin is different from the Ghanian and the Ghanian pidgin sounds different from the Liberian etc
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Sinof(m): 4:34pm On Jul 26, 2023
Thats one thing many people dont understand. Pidgin is not peculiar to Nigeria. Most major world languages have their pidgins, which are just simplified versions of the languages with lesser grammatical structure and some elements of the local languages. There is pidgin French, pidgin spanish, even pidgin Australian English used colloquially for easy communication. The French spoken on the streets of Cameroun is pidgin and you wont expect that to be used in official communication. Even in China, you have to be educated to understand and effectively use Mandarin for communication.

Sorry to say

That's not pidgin

That is South African English
Australian English
Canadian English
American English ...

We have Nigerian English as well, it is different to Pidgin

Pidgin still differs to Creole[/quote]
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by MrBroke(m): 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2023
Cause they ain't educated enough
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by lexy2014: 4:49pm On Jul 26, 2023
finallybusy:
Look at the class of people who speak it and make your conclusion. Last I remember, books aren't written in the lingo nor do the speakers bother to improve themselves literature-wise. You either pick one, mastering English or pidgin. there is no in-between.

What is wrong with the class of people who speak pidgin?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Sinof(m): 4:51pm On Jul 26, 2023
Is Messi Spanish?
NO. He is from Argentina but spoke Spanish to show you that Spanish is their adopted official language that can be used to communicate with a wide and diverse range of people.Messi has his own indeginous language but also learnt Spanish in school like we did English in order to be able to communicate with educated people.
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Na low mentality dey worry dem normally........Abi when messi, wasn't the greatest player ever was unveiled at the MLS league last week,he didn't speak English but his spanish......I wonder why we Nigerians can't value our own language here...

Las las, pigin ain't no english but a language on its own.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by seunayantokun(m): 4:53pm On Jul 26, 2023
Because they are yet to know any foreign language forced on you in place of your own mother tongue is an instrument of bondage.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by ukaface(f): 4:56pm On Jul 26, 2023
Na pidgin English my edo papa use train me sha
Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by PrimadonnaO(f): 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:
Been taught in indigenous languages doesn't make sense because we are one country and pidgin English is the language that we all speak and understand in Nigeria irrespective of region. That means someone who speaks Igbo would have to be restricted to going to Igbo schools...That would have made more sense if we were not a single country.

This thing you're advocating for is funny.

Pidgin is a slang language.

It's a corrupted version of the English language.

It started with people who couldn't speak proper English. And so inasmuch as it's a lingua franca in Nigeria, why should it be adopted and extended? πŸ™

Sometimes it's fun to speak it, and that's okay in our context but it mostly sounds crass.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? by Babtunz: 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2023
I find it very annoying when people speak pidgin in official settings or public institutions. In my school (a university), Pidgin English and local languages are the lingua franca there among students and when people see that you don't often speak Pidgin like they do they see it as a form of arrogance or whatever. It's a shame.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Starting A Baby On Solid Food / My Parents Are Always Quarelling And Fighting What Do I Do? / How Can I Know Im Pregnant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.