Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,217 members, 7,873,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:17 PM

Memoirs From Chile - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Memoirs From Chile (134945 Views)

Nigerians In Chile Or Latin America, Gather Below / Travelling To Chile / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gerrard59(m): 1:32am On Jun 04
Lordbinsmar:

You saying there are no jobs paying 4k dollars to people in Europe shows is either you are naive or biase about salary in Europe, especially considering the fact that you are into tech.

Also let me ask you what is the median salary of people living in Chile? So everybody living in Chile will have the opportunity to be paid 4K dollars per month.

It all depends on how skilled you are man, if you are well skilled you will make money regardless of your geographical location in the world.

Most of the best guys from my set in OAU are into software and they are all balling. Just of recent one of my classmate in Ife got promoted to a Senior Software engineer role in a US based company. Although I don't know how much he would be paid but maybe he will be paid more than 4K dollars and he is based in Nigeria. So what are we talking about.?

Its a know fact that software engineering is one of the highest paid profession in the world, so it has nothing to do with Chile or what so ever.
And also don't compare Scandinavian countries to UK again ooo. please don't be naive.

The bold is a universal fact.

As for your last statement, I would say for the average black African, the UK and France are better off than Nordic countries.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:45pm On Jun 04
descarado:
Winter radish. Usually bigger than these. I got really big ones, blanched and froze in ziploc bags.

Got loads of inspirations from one family that live in one Chinese village( drunken Lee)
Even in the village, they know what a balanced meal is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjwHu-rgN0?si=xV2EOJhJ0TIajkkK.

You can decide to stop eating bread. My hubby is obsessed with bread, still fighting it. Just take your time.

Also, the pattern of eating matters a lot.
What to eat first, I mean.
In this order is how we should be eating most times(
Veggies first
Protein and oil
Carbohydrate.
Then dessert

Madam the madam,

You have said it all. That eating order you listed is the TRUTH.

Sugar last!
Re: Memoirs From Chile by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:47pm On Jun 04
AngelicBeing:
Go for whole wheat bread 🥪, it is healthy and nutritious tongue

Whole wheat bread sef na scam.

Bread is bread, forget the whole tag.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by AngelicBeing: 3:48pm On Jun 04
ferhyntorlah:

Whole wheat bread sef na scam.

Bread is bread, forget the whole tag.
tongue
Re: Memoirs From Chile by lastkingsman: 9:46am On Jun 06
See wetin Tensa dey talk about EU countries.

Cc: Tensazangetsu20

What to know before moving to Portugal as a student.

If your Japa purpose is to escape Nigeria and the entire Wahala there, this message may not be for you.

Some of you are doing well in Nigeria as a business person or blue collar worker earning at least 800k every month after tax.

If you want to close your business or quit your job for Portugal study relocation, know the following:

1. Go for the first 5 of the top 8 ranking universities in Portugal. University of Porto/Lisbon/Aveiro/Coimbra/ New University of Lisbon (aka NOVA) are the top 5 I am referring to.

2. STEM degrees will make more sense because of the opportunities there.

3. Avoid the cheap universities who are mostly not well ranked because the higher the rank of your university, the more quality of international students you can have as class or school mates. These are people that will add value to your relocation journey in a long term via collaborative ideas, business partnerships , connections etc.

4. Understand that after your master’s degree, you may still end up as a minimum wage earner in Portugal especially in some fields of study. An average person you will see working in a Portuguese company is earning €1,500 monthly. Very few earns €2,000 and above while the majority earns below €1,500

5. Citizenship after 5yrs is what entices people to stay after their studies, do not follow the bandwagon, is this what you really want? If no, don’t spend a night in Portugal after your studies, keep moving to where your heart is.

6. You need money to live a comfortable life in Portugal the same way you need money to live well in Nigeria. Bring or have a means of getting money for your monthly upkeep at least from winter intake to summer. Summer starts in June and your intake would likely be September/October therefore, do not expect to find a job while studying. If you see one, glory to God but don’t expect it. Come with money.

Question: So who should come and work in Portugal?

Answer: Anyone that is not in a hurry to make it in life as popularly known in Nigeria🙃

Dear Nigerians, do not be scared because Portugal is better than Nigeria if you are not a corrupt or an upcoming corrupt person.

The first truth you can take from this post may be the fact that if your school is not among the top ranking schools, you may feel you are still studying in Nigeria. For context, Unilag and UI are some of the greatest public schools (top ranked) in Nigeria and they are better than most if not all of the cheap schools in Portugal.

Earning minimum wage after your master’s degree is another fact you should take home.

Good evening.

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:58am On Jun 06
lastkingsman:

Cc: Tensazangetsu20

They no dey tell person Sha. Life na per head. Imagine 1500 pounds professional job lol. I know the equivalent offers I have had for my skillset from companies based here in Chile and I am not even senior level
Re: Memoirs From Chile by lastkingsman: 10:22am On Jun 06
tensazangetsu20:

They no dey tell person Sha. Life na per head. Imagine 1500 pounds professional job lol. I know the equivalent offers I have had for my skillset from companies based here in Chile and I am not even senior level

No be pounds oh, na Euro. That's 1,250 pounds (1,500 euro)

Some EU countries are seriously over hyped. They are lucky they have built their infra.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:24am On Jun 06
lastkingsman:

No be pounds oh, na Euro. That's 1,250 pounds (1,500 euro)

Some EU countries are seriously over hyped. They are lucky they have built their infra.

Someone here hyped Scandinavia. The same Scandinavia that even discriminates fellow white people in jobs if you don't have a Scandinavian name. I had a friend schooling in Norway she ran away to Canada. She said even to get a cleaning job in Norway is extremely difficult.

The best European countries for the black man is still UK and France.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by lastkingsman: 11:05am On Jun 06
tensazangetsu20:

Someone here hyped Scandinavia. The same Scandinavia that even discriminates fellow white people in jobs if you don't have a Scandinavian name. I had a friend schooling in Norway she ran away to Canada. She said even to get a cleaning job in Norway is extremely difficult.

The best European countries for the black man is still UK and France.

This our skin colour. Kai.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tosinhtml: 11:55am On Jun 06
tensazangetsu20:

This is the koko. Honestly, if you are a professional Chile is a much better deal. I am not a senior level programmer. I am more mid level and I have gotten offers equivalent to 4000 usd here in Chile. Tax here is just 15 percent. In Europe to get what you are getting here as net with the crazy taxes, you need to be earning like 80000 euros. How many jobs in Europe pay that. People work for years and only get like 50000 euros annually. The only thing I will say is that Chile isn't an ideal place to do hustle jobs as those pay minimum wage.

Lemme understand well, is the argument about Chile vs EU? I mean, are we comparing one country to the whole of EU. Maybe that is one mistake we are making. We should perhaps compare Chile with one particular EU country instead.

If you have an EU passport, you can work as an independent contractor and earn like 150k Euros. For those that do not posses a passport, they manage the 50k Euros annual job like that. Immigrants have no choice than to take what they are given.

Tax is also high, Germany has the highest tax system that I know on paper. Funny as it sounds. UK has a lower tax system and higher pay than all of EU except Switzerland. If you have a UK passport and work as a contractor, you can easily become a millionaire in 3 years.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:08pm On Jun 06
tosinhtml:

Lemme understand well, is the argument about Chile vs EU? I mean, are we comparing one country to the whole of EU. Maybe that is one mistake we are making. We should perhaps compare Chile with one particular EU country instead.

If you have an EU passport, you can work as an independent contractor and earn like 150k Euros. For those that do not posses a passport, they manage the 50k Euros annual job like that. Immigrants have no choice than to take what they are given.

Tax is also high, Germany has the highest tax system that I know on paper. Funny as it sounds. UK has a lower tax system and higher pay than all of EU except Switzerland. If you have a UK passport and work as a contractor, you can easily become a millionaire in 3 years.

Independent contractor in what country? Is it an independent contractor in Europe or where. If it's to work in the US with your EU passport it's still insanely difficult except on an L1 company visa transfer which I can get from here in Chile too by working for a US company locally. If it's to go work in the US, that's where the Chilean passport beats all of the European passports as Chileans have a work visa to work in the US similar to the TN visa enjoyed by Canadians and Mexicans and the E3 visa enjoyed by Australians. You only need to find an employer in the US willing to sponsor. The process is completely different. Now if you acquire the Chilean nationality and want to gain European nationality, this is also very easy to do. You only need to live in Spain for two years. Getting a job in Spain from Chile is very easy. I have done interviews with companies in Spain and the salaries they were offering me was shit except one company but I ultimately couldn't leave to move to Spain. God forbid

2 Likes

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tosinhtml: 1:18pm On Jun 06
tensazangetsu20:

Independent contractor in what country? Is it an independent contractor in Europe or where. If it's to work in the US with your EU passport it's still insanely difficult except on an L1 company visa transfer which I can get from here in Chile too by working for a US company locally. If it's to go work in the US, that's where the Chilean passport beats all of the European passports as Chileans have a work visa to work in the US similar to the TN visa enjoyed by Canadians and Mexicans and the E3 visa enjoyed by Australians. You only need to find an employer in the US willing to sponsor. The process is completely different. Now if you acquire the Chilean nationality and want to gain European nationality, this is also very easy to do. You only need to live in Spain for two years. Getting a job in Spain from Chile is very easy. I have done interviews with companies in Spain and the salaries they were offering me was shit except one company but I ultimately couldn't leave to move to Spain. God forbid

Independent contractor in EU is very lucrative especially UK and Germany. You are paid daily rate and it is enough to set you up for life if you do that for 3 - 5 years. You need to have a passport or be a Permanent Resident to be an independent contractor.

You can earn 650 - 700 pounds per day as a Mid-level independent contractor. As a senior or principal you can earn 1,000. Even with 40% tax, that money is still a lot.

There is money every where, it depends on what papers you have and the skills you have.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Memoirs From Chile by alakara(m): 4:48pm On Jun 06
For the independent contractor which skills are important to have.

tosinhtml:

Independent contractor in EU is very lucrative especially UK and Germany. You are paid daily rate and it is enough to set you up for life if you do that for 3 - 5 years. You need to have a passport or be a Permanent Resident to be an independent contractor.

You can earn 650 - 700 pounds per day as an Mid-level independent contractor. As a senior or principal you can earn 1,000. Even with 40% tax, that money is still a lot.

There is money every where, it depends on what papers you have and the skills you have.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tosinhtml: 6:10pm On Jun 06
alakara:
For the independent contractor which skills are important to have.

Any skills you can be hired full time on, you can also be a contractor with it. It just means you set up a limited liability company & you do your taxes and all your insurance yourself. You get paid as a company and not as individual.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gerrard59(m): 7:15pm On Jun 06
lastkingsman:

Cc: Tensazang.etsu20

Praise be to God because Numbers 1 - 3 are what I have preached for donkey months on Nairaland regarding relocation via study route. As a black African, the best way to get to the door is to attend a good school. At least, make them hear wetin you wan talk. Going to a no-name school does not offer that opportunity. So, how do you showcase what you have to offer? The worst thing to happen to a job seeker is not getting invites for tests or interviews. Even my friend working in the tech firm I mentioned earlier was asked which scholarship is he on as there is a certain kind of scholarship the firm does not like foreign students on.

Gerrard59:
I feel I should try to elucidate some things with my little knowledge on migration:

- Individuals should understand that at the end of the day, your finances (aka money) is more important than the destination. You can have all the dreams (anyone can dream) but to actualise those dreams, you need the money. Mere sending documents via courier costs a lot and you might be required to send more than once. Another expense is English proficiency tests, I keep reading folks who ask about the possibility of getting admission without writing these tests (GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL etc) but you need to understand schools who would waive these tests (majority do now because of Covid-19) are low ranking, won't offer scholarships and will be expensive. The last thing I can advise a black African to do is to attend a low ranking institution abroad, don't compare yourself to blacks there who are citizens. Is it bank balance statement? Flight tickets? Living expenses? School fees? Quarantine period expenses? Tests' costs? So, everything boils to money. Start saving rigorously but do so in dollars (I got to know this hack from Kemi Onabanjo - associate partner @McKinsey&Co who went to INSEAD, France - who saved the bulk of her school fees in dollars before devaluation occured five years ago as a result of decline in crude oil prices) not naira, and save under your pillow. Emefiele aka Meffy has been very funny. .

- Passionately learn the language of the country if her lingua franca is not English. Don't expect employment opportunities in Germany to be offered on a platter of gold yet you are not interested in learning German even though job ads of almost a million are advertised daily or same in Brazil yet to learn Portuguese na wahala for you. Don't be surprised or angry that Seoul University requested you submit IELTS score even though the official language of Korea is not English. Newsflash!!! Nigeria is not regarded as a native English speaking country, only South Africa has that title in Africa. Even if you are offered the possibility of gaining admission without it, write it 'cos it can make the difference in scholarship opportunities.

- Stay away from Woke people! They might share the same skin colour but their experiences differ from yours. When listening/reading tales from people in the abroad who warn you from relocating, ask questions. Try to know their migration route and citizenship/economic status. Someone who left via tourist visa and another who went for MBA at Haas School of Business would have different experiences, learn the mistakes the former made and strategies the latter did. Anyone who discourages you from relocating when s/he has not relocated to Nigeria is hypocritically wicked and does not wish you well (and if you check those who relocated, they are already citizens of developed countries). Flee from such people.

Best wishes!

I suppose open church. grin
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gerrard59(m): 7:23pm On Jun 06
tensazangetsu20:

Independent contractor in what country? Is it an independent contractor in Europe or where. If it's to work in the US with your EU passport it's still insanely difficult except on an L1 company visa transfer which I can get from here in Chile too by working for a US company locally. If it's to go work in the US, that's where the Chilean passport beats all of the European passports as Chileans have a work visa to work in the US similar to the TN visa enjoyed by Canadians and Mexicans and the E3 visa enjoyed by Australians. You only need to find an employer in the US rbid

As much bad rep the UK gets, it remains the best place for non-EU citizens to work and earn well. I think there is a tax rule which penalises income earners who earn above 70K euros in the Netherlands. As for Switzerland, I am really curious to know the black folks who work in non-UN organisations. I want to hear their stories. The work visa process for that country is insanely difficult.

In all, the white man has built functioning and thriving economies for his people.

3 Likes

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:41am On Jun 08
Cant believe it's a month at my new job. Where are those idiot foolish trolls that were dancing on this thread. Fall out grin grin grin

DrAkpa, MatrixReloaded, erico2k2, maasoap

3 Likes

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Karleb(m): 6:18am On Jun 08
tensazangetsu20:
Cant believe it's a month at my new job. Where are those idiot foolish trolls that were dancing on this thread. Fall out grin grin grin

It's the joy of alert/salary that is doing you my brother. 😊

They are probably somewhere praying governors approve 60k minimum wage or looking for garri alternatives.

Bunch of lowlifes!

3 Likes

Re: Memoirs From Chile by lastkingsman: 9:39am On Jun 08
tensazangetsu20:

Congratulations once again grin. Omo, na some of your write up make me run for my dear life, if not I for dey shine teeth with Bulaba and agbados.

You wrote this on twitter:

"I was also trying to break into a new field without any experience in that field so that made things much harder."

How were you able to convince them you have knowledge in this field? GitHub projects or apprenticeship? Please I would like to know
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:38am On Jun 08
lastkingsman:

Congratulations once again grin. Omo, na some of your write up make me run for my dear life, if not I for dey shine teeth with Bulaba and agbados.

You wrote this on twitter:

"I was also trying to break into a new field without any experience in that field so that made things much harder."

How were you able to convince them you have knowledge in this field? GitHub projects or apprenticeship? Please I would like to know

I got crazy good at the interview process and pulled my weight in really talking bullshit funny enough even without experience I am doing extremely well. I have been able to fix every ticket I have been assigned since I joined
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:39am On Jun 08
Karleb:

It's the joy of alert/salary that is doing you my brother. 😊

They are probably somewhere praying governors approve 60k minimum wage or looking for garri alternatives.

Bunch of lowlifes!

Bros it's life changing money. Despite I was earning very well back in Nigeria, my current salary is 400 times what I was making in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Tunni: 12:09pm On Jun 08
Please what’s your advise for me who didn’t study science but want to switch.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:24pm On Jun 08
Tunni:
Please what’s your advise for me who didn’t study science but want to switch.

If you are talking about getting tech skills you don't need a science background to plus even with learning one skill, it must not be coding
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Tunni: 12:39pm On Jun 08
Can I please send you a pm?
tensazangetsu20:

If you are talking about getting tech skills you don't need a science background to plus even with learning one skill, it must not be coding
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:42pm On Jun 08
Tunni:
Can I please send you a pm?

Ask what you want here. Others can learn
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Tunni: 12:45pm On Jun 08
Ok. is there an institute outside Nigeria that offer tech courses without prior tech background?
tensazangetsu20:

Ask what you want here. Others can learn
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:49pm On Jun 08
Tunni:
Ok. is there an institute outside Nigeria that offer tech courses without prior tech background?
Of course there's a lot. Even free ones sponsored by the government. You need to check in the country you are in.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Tunni: 12:58pm On Jun 08
Please can you list some, because I’m very interested. I don’t Mind relocating, secondly what tech course will you advise a beginner to start with. I appreciate your response
tensazangetsu20:

Of course there's a lot. Even free ones sponsored by the government. You need to check in the country you are in.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:05pm On Jun 08
Tunni:
Please can you list some, because I’m very interested. I don’t Mind relocating, secondly what tech course will you advise a beginner to start with. I appreciate your response

I don't know any. You will need to research options for yourself and find what suits you.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by MatrixReloaded: 1:13pm On Jun 08
tensazangetsu20:

DrAkpa, MatrixReloaded
I'm not a troll and I am not into your business. Just do your best to excel and help others. Peace out

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:15pm On Jun 08
MatrixReloaded:

I'm not a troll and I am not into your business. Just do your best to excel and help others. Peace

Ethiopia permanent residency holder grin grin grin. Ghana is better than Chile. How far? grin grin grin. Chilean passport in 5 years grin grin grin
Re: Memoirs From Chile by MatrixReloaded: 1:17pm On Jun 08
tensazangetsu20:

Ethiopia permanent residency holder grin grin grin. Ghana is better than Chile. How far? grin grin grin. Chilean passport in 5 years grin grin grin
People dey shout diaspora some vagabond go dey display. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (62) (Reply)

My Sweet "Ivory Coast" Memories / Abuja Nightclubs Where Strippers, Prostitutes Go Berserk For Customers / The Nigeria Zip/Postal Code Confusion

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.