Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,778 members, 7,879,392 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 05:21 PM

Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? (4352 Views)

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / Acting Fifa President Hayatou Sleeps Through Press Conference. / Samson Siasia Sacked. Next Super Eagles Coach To Be Chosen Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 9:25am On Oct 13, 2011
Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia After His Failure?

I am quite surprised that the Press in general and the Sports Press in particular have been relatively silent on Siasia's failure. If we compare him to Amodu Shuaibu at the times when he won bronze at the Nations Cup and after qualifying Nigeria for the World Cup. I am not saying Amodu is better than Siasia but he seemed to be under perpetual pressure as coach of the Super Eagles whilst Siasia does not seem to be under any pressure as I type this- quite incredible considering the fact that we just failed to qualify for the Nations Cup!

Why is this the case?
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by honeric01(m): 9:31am On Oct 13, 2011
Because the press painted him a peter perfect but ashamed now that he's brought shame to them, they don't want to carry his thoughts.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 9:32am On Oct 13, 2011
If one looks at it objectively, failure is failure- he should go! The problem is he will almost certainly be replaced by another incompetent coach.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by honeric01(m): 9:34am On Oct 13, 2011
They are going to get him a boss to boss him around since he's not capable. he's going to be relegated to an assistant coach position.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by montelik(m): 10:57am On Oct 13, 2011
^^Which boss, another Lagerback to collect our millions and ditch us, or is it another Vogts to take us even further back. D NFF selected Sia1 and for better for worse they should stick with him rather than bring in another incompetent and further waste time and resources.

It is too late to do d right thing now. We just have to accept our predicament as there is no quick fix available, we have messed ourselves up. We collectively missed an big opportunity to have avoided this chaos and d biased media and d malicious and ungrateful fans can't escape their portion of blame. Instead of us to have allowed Amodu lead us to 2010 WC, then let his contract expire and patiently hired a coach that fit our vision, or given him a new contract/mandate and structure to build for d future (e.g develop a strong home based and newer younger eagles, while at d same time incorporating d likes of Sia1, Keshi, Oliseh, Ikhana and so many others to help setup and aid d overall development of all our national sides, as well as d NPL). We made rash decisions based on emotion, not fact or solid reasoning. We wasted a expensively procured WC ticket with a mercenary who happily collected our money, before telling us d truth of our abject stupidity. Then rather than sit down and tell ourselves d truth after that wasted exercise and planned appropriately, we once continued making decisions without forethought or thorough analysis. Now we have wasted another year. And so we will continue wasting time until d WC qualifiers pass us again. During this period nothing will be done to develop and assist our domestic league. Yet some will be shouting we have local players capable of winning d WC 2014. An exercise of continuing self delusion.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Ournaija: 1:22pm On Oct 13, 2011
Siasia was just lucky with our over aged youth team he used at Youth World cup.  He lacks the technicality to approach a game, though he has won the heart of majority of football fans in Nigeria. His pattern of play is something anyone could do if given the opportunity.

I will take a Keshi over a Siasia. Keshi has been tested at the senior level with unknown players of nations. Even when the environment wasn`t friendly he still gave his best. No African nation will consider to hire a Nigerian coach because they are known  for their mediocrity. Keshi was just unlucky with the Nigerian football fans.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by ahidjo: 1:25pm On Oct 13, 2011
Siasia remains the best. Let's stop this emotional outbursts that will lead us no where. Sometimes I wonder if an average Nigerian has analytical skills.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by etteorok(m): 1:27pm On Oct 13, 2011
P grin wink smileyBecause the press painted him a peter perfect but ashamed now that he's brought shame to them, they don't want to carry his thoughts.

Same applies to GEJ,
The Nation is sick & begging 4 repairs, but who will bell d cat
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 13, 2011
honeric01:

Because the press painted him a peter perfect but ashamed now that he's brought shame to them, they don't want to carry his thoughts.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 1:29pm On Oct 13, 2011
ahidjo:

Siasia remains the best. Let's stop this emotional outbursts that will lead us no where. Sometimes I wonder if an average Nigerian has analytical skills.

If you are asked to qualify a team for a competition and reach its semi-finals and then you fail to make it there in the first place, an analytical mind will say you are a failure and should rightfully be shown the way out.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by moderatorr: 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2011
unfortunately haters cant change siasia!
Changing him is not the best decision.
Afterall we have changed 'him' many times before.
Siasia should be given freewax to do what ever he thinks is best for superchickens without subjecting him to presure.
Siasia should be free to sack anyone he wants and replace anyone.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2011
moderatorr:

unfortunately haters cant change siasia!
Changing him is not the best decision.
Afterall we have changed 'him' many times before.
Siasia should be given freewax to do what ever he thinks is best for superchickens without subjecting him to presure.
Siasia should be free to sack anyone he wants and replace anyone.

Why?
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by DisGuy: 1:34pm On Oct 13, 2011
well we've blamed the northerners in the sports ministry, we've blamed the foreigners, we've blamed the over aged pompous players
we dare not blame the dude we asked for - he is one of ours- he a southerner and a former player

the press asked for him! they can fault themselves can they?

it's almost like the case of GEJ
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by omo9ja1(m): 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2011
NFF is to be blame for all this mess they put us through, we need a foreign coach with help from local coach and we want to see homebase players playing more that we rely on the useless so call foreign players, many of this so called professional players does not even play full time,

we need home base players that are hungry for success
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by badmrkt(m): 1:38pm On Oct 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

well we've blamed the northerners in the sports ministry, we've blamed the foreigners, we've blamed the over aged pompous players
we dare not blame the dude we asked for - he is one of ours- he a southerner and a former player

the press asked for him! they can fault themselves can they?

it's almost like the case of GEJ
what has GEJ gat to do with this?how people react to issues get me vexed @times.Siasia's failure that's why the media wont even waste their usefull time on him.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by DisGuy: 1:40pm On Oct 13, 2011
it's comparative silly, i didnt put anything on him
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Justcash(m): 1:43pm On Oct 13, 2011
Poster, that should not be the question. The question should be,

"WHY IS AUSTIN EGUAVONE NOT BEING BLAMED?"

If that mumu had kept a clean sheet or at least a draw in Guinea, we'd not have been under pressure in the first place. He made issues complicated!!
At least Siasia's team came from a goal down to score two, and were on the verge of correcting the silly job done by Eguavone before Guinea saw space to score. It would have been a comfortable 2-1 win.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 1:46pm On Oct 13, 2011
Justcash:

Poster, that should not be the question. The question should be,

"WHY IS AUSTIN EGUAVONE NOT BEING BLAMED?"

If that mumu had kept a clean sheet or at least a draw in Guinea, we'd not have been under pressure in the first place. He made issues complicated!!

Siasia knew this before he took the job and is responsible for his own results. Why did he draw against Ethiopia away and Guinea at home? With the talent we have in Nigeria there is no excuse for us not to be in the Nations Cup- Niger Republic and Libya- a country at war are for crying-out loud
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 13, 2011
That's the power of antecedent. His antededents are quite impressive, and difficult to push aside: WYC final and Olympics final, both in spite of limited resources and relative hostility and lack of support from the NFF. So I guess that imbued the press (and many ordinary Nigerians) with the feeling that Siasia was the best coach available locally. Furthermore, Siasia seemed to have good media relations and a perceptible aura of likability - qualities that the rather abrasive and haughty-looking Amodu clearly lacked.

Be that as it may, I think the game is up for Siasia. I don't think he'll survive this calamity.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Justcash(m): 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2011
maclatunji:

Siasia knew this before he took the job and is responsible for his own results. Why did he draw against Ethiopia away and Guinea at home? With the talent we have in Nigeria there is no excuse for us not to be in the Nations Cup- Niger Republic and Libya- a country at war are for crying-out loud

Is playing out a Draw with Ethiopia in their home turf not a good result? If Eguavon had drawn, would we have had problems? Siasia did a good job by pulling off a draw in an away match,using the same rusty eagles. Did he lose against Guinea? No!! He did not!!! The worst result he got against them was a draw. What condemned his team was Eguavones silly loss in Guinea. As far as I am concerned, Siasia did his best to correct that loss. Did you see the attacking prowess that the Eagles are exhibiting under him? When did you see that last? Abeg make I hear word jo! If una sack am now, una go carry one aboki or another Oningbinde put make we dey lose dey go. Nonsense!!!
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 2:01pm On Oct 13, 2011
Justcash:

Is playing out a Draw with Ethiopia in their home turf not a good result? If Eguavon had drawn, would we have had problems? Siasia did a good job by pulling off a draw in an away match,using the same rusty eagles. Did he lose against Guinea? No!! He did not!!! The worst result he got against them was a draw. What condemned his team was Eguavones silly loss in Guinea. As far as I am concerned, Siasia did his best to correct that loss. Did you see the attacking prowess that the Eagles are exhibiting under him? When did you see that last? Abeg make I hear word jo! If una sack am now, una go carry one aboki or another Oningbinde put make we dey lose dey go. Nonsense!!!

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

I am sure you cannot explain the offside rule with this your kind of reasoning, arguing with you would be condescending- so carry go, plenty dey do you.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by usbcable(m): 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2011
honeric01:

Infact you correct no be small.
they made him seem  infallible, now that he has failed in the most terrible of manners they hide their shame behind silence.

The worst part NFF will, instead of leaving him as coach, rather sack him to be replaced by another incompetent coach.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by freeman191(m): 2:06pm On Oct 13, 2011
Let us be honest with our selves, who has never failed before should be the first to criticize, in this nation we take decisions based on emotions and not on logical reasoning. Fine i agreed that sia1 has failed us, but if we take the sack route, how many times are we going to hire and fire a coach, probably we have used 8 coaches in the space of 9years, and is it how our game going to develop.

I am of the opinion that if you bring in Morinho or alex ferguson to come and coach the super eagles in its current state, we would still fail, because we dont have a developmental strategy to replace our players, look at Ghana or Germany, spain, they have ready made programs turning out full matured talents to drive competition in their national team. Our problem is beyond hiring and firing a coach, our problem is a systemic failure of the NFF, NPL, Sports Ministry, Football Policy in this Country, we dont run football in a professional and competitive way.

If we fire sia1 now, i bet  it will take 1year before they hire another coach they can collect kick backs from, it happened under lagerback, it happen with amodu, meanwhile the next nations cup qualifiers will begin in 2012, we would start the qualifiers again on a shaky note, not sure of our new coach, then when the coach takes over, we have played half of the games with an interim coach, then when he fails to qualify, we sack!! him again, then the circle begins.

Best advice lets be patient with sia 1, give me another chance and lets see what will happen, i believe there is no success achieved without failure at the beginning, i draw comparison from Jega in his conduct of the last General elections, he failed on the first day of election, and he was crucified by the entire nation, but because he failed on the first day, he was able to learn from the mistake which led to the success of the entire election.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Justcash(m): 2:13pm On Oct 13, 2011
maclatunji:

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

I am sure you cannot explain the offside rule with this your kind of reasoning, arguing with you would be condescending- so carry go, plenty dey do you.

There you go. Condescending indeed. Before you raise a topic next time, you need to think. You want Sisia to transform a rusty team, yet you don't want to give him time to do it. He has clearly shown that he is on a right path. Unlike Amodu, Lagerbak, Eguavone etc, his team don't sit back and pass the ball backwards instead of forward. They attack, score and threaten the defense of their opponents while defending. They strive to collect balls. It is clear that he is on a right path. He needs time to get his boys and form a good team.
You are saying that he should be sacked, but you have not proposed who should take over. Talking about Keshi. Was Keshi not in the coaching crew of the eagles in the past? It was your likes that pushed for his removal and he was removed because of few poor runs. Now y'all are fighting for him to return. Una no well at all.  
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 13, 2011
Their 'Special One' has disgraced them.
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by MeGaStReEt: 2:17pm On Oct 13, 2011
Leave Siasia alone, he's failed us, yet I personaly  believe he will deliver if given the chance
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Kx: 2:21pm On Oct 13, 2011
Siasia failed woefully but people aint supporting the calls for his sack because they are afraid even if they clamour for his sack, presidency may not ok if, know why?
Nigeria problem- who u know, God father.

If I were a member of the tech committee, i ll recommend that:
Siasia keeps his job with a reviewed contract.After all, they ask for bonus if they surpass target. Now that he did nt meet the agreed target, review his pay downward from N5million a month to N1.3million or less a month .
That way, he will personally resign without being sacked.

But If Amodu, keshi etal were sacked for "golden bronze" performance, Siasia retaining his job with this woeful result,expect lots of dressing room conflicts and discplinary issues in his "2nd term".
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Justcash(m): 2:27pm On Oct 13, 2011
Uncanny Genius:

Their 'Special One' has disgraced them.

As we are talking, "The Original Special One" Mourinho, is yet to find his footing in the La Liga. He has been beaten black and Blue by Barcelona. He is still losing and playing out draws with little teams in the league. I guess he should be sacked right?
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by maclatunji: 2:28pm On Oct 13, 2011
Justcash:

There you go. Condescending indeed. Before you raise a topic next time, you need to think. You want Sisia to transform a rusty team, yet you don't want to give him time to do it. He has clearly shown that he is on a right path. Unlike Amodu, Lagerbak, Eguavone etc, his team don't sit back and pass the ball backwards instead of forward. They attack, score and threaten the defense of their opponents while defending. They strive to collect balls. It is clear that he is on a right path. He needs time to get his boys and form a good team.
You are saying that he should be sacked, but you have not proposed who should take over. Talking about Keshi. Was Keshi not in the coaching crew of the eagles in the past? It was your likes that pushed for his removal and he was removed because of few poor runs. Now y'all are fighting for him to return. Una no well at all.  

You see, I like Siasia as a person but as a trained Manager (I may be several other things but Management is my area of core-competence) I must tell you that this kind of failure should not be tolerated. I was against Amodu because of the performance of the team. I am now against Siasia based on the team's performance plus results. If Siasia is not sacked now, you might as well leave him for the next 10 years because not qualifying for the Nations Cup is the worst failure the Super Eagles can achieve!
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Npoto: 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2011
Because he is from the state as the president
Re: Why Is The Press Relatively Silent On Siasia? by Gbenge77(m): 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2011
ahidjo:

siasia the best?you gotta be kidding me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Remember Hazard Vs Di Maria Comparison / Enquiries @ Nipr, Professional Examination In Public Relations / Federal High Court In Abuja Declares NFF And NFL Illegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.