Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,886 members, 7,883,110 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:20 AM

As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? (1484 Views)

If You Find Yourself In This Situation As A Teacher, What Will You Do? / Divine Hanachor : 17 Year Old Missing Uniport Student Has Been Found [PHOTOS] / Please Help! My Student Has Fallen In Love With Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 11:46am On Oct 23, 2023
Teaching doesn't always go straight forward as envisioned.

Sometimes teachers are faced with rude students and many other hills to climb.

This brings the question

"As a teacher, what is the harshest truth a student has ever taught you?''
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Emperormartin(m): 11:56am On Oct 23, 2023
lovediehatelive:

This brings the question

Share yours first

3 Likes

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by SharingIsLife(m): 12:02pm On Oct 23, 2023
That they come to school to learn but they resist every attempt to be taught to the point of getting their violent parents to kill a teacher for teaching them.

5 Likes

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by meditator(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2023
lovediehatelive:

This brings the question

Teaching has always been my favourite profession before a female student of mine told me " God forbid, I don't want to become a teacher because teachers end up being poor", this was after I asked them about their future ambition and none of them chose teaching, I now asked who would like to be a teacher. I left the job few months later.

This is one of the harshest truth or reality of most of those that could themselves in that profession.

6 Likes

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by b3llo(m): 4:32pm On Oct 23, 2023
They once whispered you are wasting your time while I was in class.
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Mister123: 9:40pm On Oct 23, 2023
I have been a teacher for more than a decade now, the harshest truth I have learnt is that, the more lenient you're towards students, the more they take advantage of you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 10:56pm On Oct 23, 2023
SharingIsLife:
That they come to school to learn but they resist every attempt to be taught to the point of getting their violent parents to kill a teacher for teaching them.

So sad. Some teachers now don't care about correcting a child
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2023
meditator:
Teaching has always been my favourite profession before a female student of mine told me " God forbid, I don't want to become a teacher because teachers end up being poor", this was after I asked them about their future ambition and none of them chose teaching, I now asked who would like to be a teacher. I left the job few months later.

This is one of the harshest truth or reality of most of those that could themselves in that profession.

So sad. Many who have passion teaching choose other fields because teachers are poorly paid

2 Likes

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 11:02pm On Oct 23, 2023
b3llo:
They once whispered you are wasting your time while I was in class.

Can you imagine!
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2023
Mister123:
I have been a teacher for more than a decade now, the harshest truth I have learnt is that, the more lenient you're towards students, the more they take advantage of you.

Really. Won't they like you as their favorite teacher.
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by LikeAking: 11:19pm On Oct 23, 2023
meditator:

Go thank that student ..

Teaching no follow..

No human being shud ever be a teacher..

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by LikeAking: 11:20pm On Oct 23, 2023
Mister123:

Na so life be..

Anything you do go backfire in one way or the other..

Just do the right thing..

Be cool with them…
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by talented321: 12:57am On Oct 24, 2023
The least salary of any teacher should be around 90 to 100k. Teachers are the most bad treated civil servants(especially primary school teachers) in nigeria after soldiers.
lovediehatelive:

So sad. Many who have passion teaching choose other fields because teachers are poorly paid

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by poshestmina(f): 2:12am On Oct 24, 2023
Whatever we do as Parents/Guardians affects the kids no matter how little they are.

Kids from troubled homes either become bullies or are easily bullied and extremely timid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Adeoye11(m): 4:08am On Oct 24, 2023
meditator:

This is common in Nigeria, we too taka oshi danu for every appearance of anything teacher when we were in secondary school but you know what Nigeria will still happen to some of them.
You don't worry.

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by DesChyko: 5:14am On Oct 24, 2023
1. You can't stop them from dating themselves (or outsiders). They'd act all meek and thoughtful when you counsel them on why they should hold off for now, but a good number of them don't really give a f**k what you're saying. Once you're out of sight, back to default settings. Damn teenage hormones.

2. Most Nigerian parents do not really take the parenting duty seriously. For many of them, providing for their kids and turning up during emergencies does it. But listening to their children is not something they make out time for. I've lost count of the number of kids who call me 'Daddy' even by accident.

4 Likes

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Nimen(m): 5:22am On Oct 24, 2023
Kids that don't want to learn and parents that would support their even though they nothing about their kid's lifestyles
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Jewessgratitud3: 6:58am On Oct 24, 2023
The harsh truth I've learnt being a teacher is... even though we do the most job in helping shape the pupils future through impartation and hardwork, teachers are the least appreciated. Its the lowest paying job and no body sees any good reason teachers should earn better than they do.

Thank God for wisdom otherwise I'll not have been able to cope with this profession. Teachers should be earning at least 500k on the average because the job is not an easy one. It is physically and mentally draining and takes a toll on ones health in the long run. If you dont lose your voice from shouting to be to be heard ( sometimes in a noisy environment) you'll start losing strength/balance from too much standing. I can count how many times I nearly fainted in class after teaching and talking for hours trying to make sure the aim of a lesson is achieved. Cos as you're talking you're also calculating and thinking fast of the next method to employ Incase the one you're using fails. All that can be mentally draining leaving you exhausted at the end of the day, yet no body sees it as a big deal.

Without us, many who can read and write today will not be able to do so or have the opportunity to be in high level positions today.

We deserve much better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by chiiraq802(m): 7:20am On Oct 24, 2023
Teaching no be better work at all.
The only time I can consider being a teacher, If it's an All girls school wink
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Hideaki: 8:02am On Oct 24, 2023
Teaching is a meaningful work and it can't be replaced like banking job .

90% of teachers like their job except for the poor salary .
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by dosage150(m): 8:42am On Oct 24, 2023
The tribalism on nairaland is going extreme

Most atimes I don't bother going through the comments anymore because definitely you will see things that are out of context

The rule now is "once your tribe is not affected, you are very ok and happy with any bad news"

Tribes wishes tribes death
You always see dark hearts in the comment session

nairaland has been a major search engine for many
It was not this bad before now

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Clinghton: 8:57am On Oct 24, 2023
I respect some teachers especially the serious ones, dem dey chop insult from students who are cultists.

And they (teachers) can't do anything about it, because after school na student dey teach teacher wey f**k up.
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Benbisco(f): 9:03am On Oct 24, 2023
LikeAking:

Go thank that student ..

Teaching no follow..

No human being shud ever be a teacher..

Really, so all these things I know in Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Management, Administration, Economics, Geography, etc, how would I have known them?
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by TheRealOwner(m): 10:56am On Oct 24, 2023
nlfpmod this thread deserves front-page. Let's hear from our teachers
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by JayromWrites: 11:06am On Oct 24, 2023
JayromWrites:
I've always wanted to be a teacher

Maybe because Mama is one. But I derive joy when I am in the classroom breaking complex mathematics equations

I remember the looks on my guys faces in camp when I was jostling to be posted to a school while everyone was looking for a ministry or something

And when NYSC decided to post me to the Ministry of Education, I begged to be posted to a class instead.

Mind you, I studied a professional course, I should be making money, but foolishly, I prefer the smile on a student face than the smell of minted currency

But, I have needs to meet, I had to at a point, make a decision

But one thing I am sure of, I will return to the classroom and teach pro bono

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by JayromWrites: 11:12am On Oct 24, 2023
Harshest truth?

Can't recall any.

Well, there were days whereby I was overlooked. Especially early days when I was much younger than the people I was teaching.

But over time, it was a beautiful experience
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Kutunban: 11:16am On Oct 24, 2023
Sad
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by TheRealOwner(m): 11:18am On Oct 24, 2023
lovediehatelive:

This brings the question

Mine are many, but I'll stick with the 3 most important ones.

1) If the foundation be destroyed, what can the righteous do??

There's a direct correlation between where and how a child was learning in the formative years ( Kg/Nursery/Primary) and how they will perform in later years ( Secondary, WAEC, JAMB, Uni). While there are exceptions, this is undeniable

2) All fingers are not equal.

I mean this financially and academically.

You'll see some students doing so well in school, but can't take advantage of some opportunities due to poverty and/or lack of information and orientation.
You'll also see some that their parents will buy ANYTHING you recommend as a teacher, yet their performances will vex even you that is being paid to tutor, talkless of the parents doing the spending

You will still see some that even you as a teacher will be jealous of them if you are not careful, because they are so good in everything. Academics, responsibilities, social life, good supportive parents, behaviour, opportunities?? everything check

Then there's the last category, those who are from very poor backgrounds, the parents don't give a damn about their academic needs or duties like fees and the students are suffering academically. Many drop out eventually and become just like the parents.

I've once tutored a lady (note lady, not girl lol), who was struggling with Jamb and admission till her youngest sister (age difference 5 years) caught up to SS3 and wrote JAMB and gained admission. Thank God she gained admission that year too but she settled for one funny course in a faraway northern state school because she swore that a child she was carrying on her back and helped to raise can't enter higher institution before her.

There are countless other stories. My experiences there taught me that "Motivation and Support cannot turn an ant into an elephant, no matter what"

3) Despite your best efforts, students will (not) do what they (don't) want to do.

A lot of these students can't really comprehend the gravity and importance of your teaching, even if you are very articulate and sound in your subjects. So if they are not interested, they are not interested niyen. You can force a horse to the river side, but you can't force it to drink. I'll end with that
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by McCordial: 11:33am On Oct 24, 2023
As a teacher, I've faced similar issues and got some great direction from a book called "Teacher Evaluation That Makes a Difference: A New Model for Teacher Growth and Student Achievement." It's been a game-changer for me, especially when dealing with student challenges.
This book is all about shaking up teacher evaluation and giving us practical tips to make a real impact on our students.

* I still have it with me in case you need the PDF copy.
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:17am On Oct 26, 2023
talented321:
The least salary of any teacher should be around 90 to 100k. Teachers are the most bad treated civil servants(especially primary school teachers) in nigeria after soldiers.

True. Some teachers are collecting 5k! I'm not kidding
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:18am On Oct 26, 2023
poshestmina:
Whatever we do as Parents/Guardians affects the kids no matter how little they are.

Kids from troubled homes either become bullies or are easily bullied and extremely timid.

Very true. Charity starts from papa house
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:20am On Oct 26, 2023
DesChyko:
1. You can't stop them from dating themselves (or outsiders). They'd act all meek and thoughtful when you counsel them on why they should hold off for now, but a good number of them don't really give a f**k what you're saying. Once you're out of sight, back to default settings. Damn teenage hormones.

2. Most Nigerian parents do not really take the parenting duty seriously. For many of them, providing for their kids and turning up during emergencies does it. But listening to their children is not something they make out time for. I've lost count of the number of kids who call me 'Daddy' even by accident.

That's it o.

They'll want to explore. Instead of them to learn from the mistakes of others, they are making same mistakes.

Parents these days are something else.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have Collected My PhD Notification Of Result. / Chevron Scholarship Aptitude Test / P.g.d Vs Post Hnd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.