Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,777 members, 7,941,922 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 03:51 PM

As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? (1527 Views)

If You Find Yourself In This Situation As A Teacher, What Will You Do? / Divine Hanachor : 17 Year Old Missing Uniport Student Has Been Found [PHOTOS] / Please Help! My Student Has Fallen In Love With Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:21am On Oct 26, 2023
Nimen:
Kids that don't want to learn and parents that would support their even though they nothing about their kid's lifestyles

Some of these parents don't know the implications of their actions. Tomorrow they'll start complaining that their kid has spoilt
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:23am On Oct 26, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
The harsh truth I've learnt being a teacher is... even though we do the most job in helping shape the pupils future through impartation and hardwork, teachers are the least appreciated. Its the lowest paying job and no body sees any good reason teachers should earn better than they do.

Thank God for wisdom otherwise I'll not have been able to cope with this profession. Teachers should be earning at least 500k on the average because the job is not an easy one. It is physically and mentally draining and takes a toll on ones health in the long run. If you dont lose your voice from shouting to be to be heard ( sometimes in a noisy environment) you'll start losing strength/balance from too much standing. I can count how many times I nearly fainted in class after teaching and talking for hours trying to make sure the aim of a lesson is achieved. Cos as you're talking you're also calculating and thinking fast of the next method to employ Incase the one you're using fails. All that can be mentally draining leaving you exhausted at the end of the day, yet no body sees it as a big deal.

Without us, many who can read and write today will not be able to do so or have the opportunity to be in high level positions today.

We deserve much better.

Teachers are really trying sha.
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:24am On Oct 26, 2023
Clinghton:
I respect some teachers especially the serious ones, dem dey chop insult from students who are cultists.

And they (teachers) can't do anything about it, because after school na student dey teach teacher wey f**k up.

That's why teaching in secondary school is tough. Especially from SS1
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:25am On Oct 26, 2023
JayromWrites:
Harshest truth?

Can't recall any.

Well, there were days whereby I was overlooked. Especially early days when I was much younger than the people I was teaching.

But over time, it was a beautiful experience

Younger than people you were teaching?
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:26am On Oct 26, 2023
TheRealOwner:

Mine are many, but I'll stick with the 3 most important ones.

1) If the foundation be destroyed, what can the righteous do??

There's a direct correlation between where and how a child was learning in the formative years ( Kg/Nursery/Primary) and how they will perform in later years ( Secondary, WAEC, JAMB, Uni). While there are exceptions, this is undeniable

2) All fingers are not equal.

I mean this financially and academically.

You'll see some students doing so well in school, but can't take advantage of some opportunities due to poverty and/or lack of information and orientation.
You'll also see some that their parents will buy ANYTHING you recommend as a teacher, yet their performances will vex even you that is being paid to tutor, talkless of the parents doing the spending

You will still see some that even you as a teacher will be jealous of them if you are not careful, because they are so good in everything. Academics, responsibilities, social life, good supportive parents, behaviour, opportunities?? everything check

Then there's the last category, those who are from very poor backgrounds, the parents don't give a damn about their academic needs or duties like fees and the students are suffering academically. Many drop out eventually and become just like the parents.

I've once tutored a lady (note lady, not girl lol), who was struggling with Jamb and admission till her youngest sister (age difference 5 years) caught up to SS3 and wrote JAMB and gained admission. Thank God she gained admission that year too but she settled for one funny course in a faraway northern state school because she swore that a child she was carrying on her back and helped to raise can't enter higher institution before her.

There are countless other stories. My experiences there taught me that "Motivation and Support cannot turn an ant into an elephant, no matter what"

3) Despite your best efforts, students will (not) do what they (don't) want to do.

A lot of these students can't really comprehend the gravity and importance of your teaching, even if you are very articulate and sound in your subjects. So if they are not interested, they are not interested niyen. You can force a horse to the river side, but you can't force it to drink. I'll end with that

Value input! You have solid experience

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by lovediehatelive(m): 7:27am On Oct 26, 2023
McCordial:
As a teacher, I've faced similar issues and got some great direction from a book called "Teacher Evaluation That Makes a Difference: A New Model for Teacher Growth and Student Achievement." It's been a game-changer for me, especially when dealing with student challenges.
This book is all about shaking up teacher evaluation and giving us practical tips to make a real impact on our students.

* I still have it with me in case you need the PDF copy.
awesome! How can I get a copy
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:40am On Oct 26, 2023
lovediehatelive:

Teachers are really trying sha.

My brother you can say that again.
Re: As A Teacher, What Is The Harshest Truth A Student Has Ever Taught You? by JayromWrites: 11:30am On Oct 26, 2023
lovediehatelive:

Younger than people you were teaching?

Yeah started teaching after sec school. I was 15/16 and I was teaching secondary school Mathematics and Physics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls Help Me With Project Topic/material On Bus. Adm/mgt. / Tuition And 2008/2009 Admissions At Benson Idahosa University / Before You Enroll For Toefl, These Secrets And Facts You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.