Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,400 members, 7,881,449 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:56 PM

Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds - Technology Market (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds (16145 Views)

Lithium Ion Solar Batteries / I Make Lithium Ion Batteries For Solar And Inverter Systems / Get Lithium Ion Battery Packs For Inverters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 4:59pm On Jun 11
ewizard1:

Brand new Samsung 18650 cell for N1800? grin

Why you con turn am to question na grin
I know it worth it bro.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by officialfestus(m): 8:40pm On Jun 21
Cells don hard to find.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 2:49pm On Jun 23
dollarnaira:

Brand new?

Please what's wrong with my setup. I've presently assembled 3S3P li-ion battery( while waiting for more batteries) with 3S 40A bms, with the cell all balanced. But anytime its fully charged to 12.6v (I'm only charging solar for now), the voltage then start fluctuating at 13.8v, 13.9v, 14.1v.
But when I checked the actual battery voltage (bypassing the bms) I noticed charging has been cut off and it was around 12.55v then.

But anytime it starts fluctuating due to charging disconnect, once I put a reasonable load on it, it adjust itself and displays 12.6v.

Please what could be the issue, I've tested 2 3S 40A bms, it's the same.

Could it be my solar charge controller

@dollarnaira @penuelseun @officialfestus @everyone

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 3:16pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

Please what's wrong with my setup. I've presently assembled 3S3P li-ion battery( while waiting for more batteries) with 3S 40A bms, with the cell all balanced. But anytime its fully charged to 12.6v (I'm only charging solar for now), the voltage then start fluctuating at 13.8v, 13.9v, 14.1v.
But when I checked the actual battery voltage (bypassing the bms) I noticed charging has been cut off and it was around 12.55v then.

But anytime it starts fluctuating due to charging disconnect, once I put a reasonable load on it, it adjust itself and displays 12.6v.

Issue with bms.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Obnoxious2001(m): 3:16pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

Definitely it's a charge controller issue.

I have an issue like this on ground.
I am thinking of a way out( I think it happens mostly on this pwm controller reason is you can't set it) if you find solutions let us know
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Penuelseun(m): 4:19pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

what setting did you set as your maximum charge voltage on your controller? The bms over voltage protection is coming up thereby causing voltage fluctuations
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by taiwooguns33(m): 4:55pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

nothing to worry about my setup has been like that for almost two years now, since bms cut it off at 12.6..

1 Like

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by saint2ace(m): 5:14pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

Your system is working as it should based on parameters of both the charge controller and the BMS, you didn't (can't) adjust the parameters on Ur CC as it is set for lead acid battery at 14.4v, while Ur BMS is locked at 12.6v (which is the verified safe working voltage for 3s lithium ion battery packs).
So while the CC tries to get to 14.4v the BMS clips it at 12.6v the reason the reading after the BMS is 12.55v which is less than 12.6v.
The increase in voltage when load is applied is that the inverter is pulling direct from the CC and since it can do higher than 12.6v, it would naturally increase, and the fluctuations are due to the solar fluctuation due to cloud covers.
For optimal use, get a CC with adjustable settings so you can set Ur voltage at 12.6v max and stop clipping on Ur BMS or else you might fry Ur BMS and in turn Ur CC. Cheers

7 Likes

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 7:02pm On Jun 23
dollarnaira:

Issue with bms.

Oooh...I'll check it again boss. Thanks
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 7:04pm On Jun 23
Obnoxious2001:

Definitely it's a charge controller issue.

I have an issue like this on ground.
I am thinking of a way out( I think it happens mostly on this pwm controller reason is you can't set it) if you find solutions let us know
I guess as much, cus the lowest float voltage is 12.7v on the pmw and it will rather keep pumping up the voltage unless bms cut it off. Probably some other different pmw does better at that.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 7:05pm On Jun 23
Penuelseun:
what setting did you set as your maximum charge voltage on your controller? The bms over voltage protection is coming up thereby causing voltage fluctuations
12.7v. That is the lowest the pmw could be set to.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 7:06pm On Jun 23
taiwooguns33:
nothing to worry about my setup has been like that for almost two years now, since bms cut it off at 12.6..
ooooh...wow. Alright boss. Thanks 👍
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 7:11pm On Jun 23
saint2ace:

Your system is working as it should based on parameters of both the charge controller and the BMS, you didn't (can't) adjust the parameters on Ur CC as it is set for lead acid battery at 14.4v, while Ur BMS is locked at 12.6v (which is the verified safe working voltage for 3s lithium ion battery packs).
So while the CC tries to get to 14.4v the BMS clips it at 12.6v the reason the reading after the BMS is 12.55v which is less than 12.6v.
The increase in voltage when load is applied is that the inverter is pulling direct from the CC and since it can do higher than 12.6v, it would naturally increase, and the fluctuations are due to the solar fluctuation due to cloud covers.
For optimal use, get a CC with adjustable settings so you can set Ur voltage at 12.6v max and stop clipping on Ur BMS or else you might fry Ur BMS and in turn Ur CC. Cheers
Thanks for your response boss. I have a question though.
Going by your response, the CC will peg the max voltage at 12.6 right? If so where will I hook the CC.
For the part of "Stop clipping on ur BMS", is it at the solar input or battery input on the pmw the CC will be?

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Wizyoung(m): 7:28pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

Thanks for your response boss. I have a question though.
Going by your response, the CC will peg the max voltage at 12.6 right? If so where will I hook the CC.
For the part of "Stop clipping on ur BMS", is it at the solar input or battery input on the pmw the CC will be?

By "CC", I think he meant your PWM charge controller.

The CC is simply your charge controller (PWM type) in the picture you uploaded. That device is your CC

He's advising you to get an MPPT charge controller so you could replace your current CC (which is a PWM). The reason for replacing is so you could set your max charging voltage to 12.6v on the new MPPT charge controller

1 Like

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 7:42pm On Jun 23
Wizyoung:

By "CC", I think he meant your PWM charge controller.

The CC is simply your charge controller (PWM type) in the picture you uploaded. That device is your CC

He's advising you to get an MPPT charge controller so you could replace your current CC (which is a PWM). The reason for replacing is so you could set your max charging voltage to 12.6v on the new MPPT charge controller
oooh...thanks boss. Now I get it 👍
I thought he was referring to buck converter. To peg the voltage at 12.6v
CC- Charge Controller 👍...Understood. thanks

1 Like

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 8:34pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:
oooh...thanks boss. Now I get it 👍
I thought he was referring to buck converter. To peg the voltage at 12.6v
CC- Charge Controller 👍...Understood. thanks

Will suggest you DON'T OVER LABOUR your cc. Get an edible pwm or a 5A buck converter if on a tight budget. Protect your battery via these b4 u pass it via bms. Protect! Protect!! Protect!!!

1 Like

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 8:55pm On Jun 23
dollarnaira:

Will suggest you DON'T OVER LABOUR your cc. Get an edible pwm or a 5A buck converter if on a tight budget. Protect your battery via these b4 u pass it via bms. Protect! Protect!! Protect!!!
Okay boss. Thanks for your response.
Yeah, I have a 5A buck converter.
Please is the wiring illustration to connect the buck converter correct boss?

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 9:56pm On Jun 23
AdexAyanfe:

It is correct.
How big is your battery?
If not very big and panel's voltage not higher than the converter's max, the buck converter can work without the cc after editing to 12.6v. Try both out to make the best choice.
What is the wattage of your pv (panel)?

A very small heat sink is missing in the converter.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Penuelseun(m): 6:29am On Jun 24
AdexAyanfe:

not correct, you place the buck converter between the panels and the charge controller not between battery and charge controller

1 Like

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Penuelseun(m): 6:31am On Jun 24
AdexAyanfe:

what is the size of your solar panels as a 5a buck converter is small for panel sizes over 80w
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 1:54pm On Jun 24
Penuelseun:
not correct, you place the buck converter between the panels and the charge controller not between battery and charge controller

We are here to learn. If the buck of 5a is in between the pv and cc the the purpose of the cc is defeated esp if the cc is of greater amp than the converter which it is in this case.

The converter here prevent the battery from hitting above 12.6v.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Penuelseun(m): 3:00pm On Jun 24
dollarnaira:

We are here to learn. If the buck of 5a is in between the pv and cc the the purpose of the cc is defeated esp if the cc is of greater amp than the converter which it is in this case.

Have you connected it this way before? Buck converter between panel and cc was how I connected mine and it worked perfectly

1 Like

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 4:15pm On Jun 24
dollarnaira:

It is correct.
How big is your battery?
If not very big and panel's voltage not higher than the converter's max, the buck converter can work without the cc after editing to 12.6v. Try both out to make the best choice.
What is the wattage of your pv (panel)?

A very small heat sink is missing in the converter.
Thanks boss.
50w panel.
Do you mean as illustrated in my diagram below? Like I should totally bypass charge controller?

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 4:18pm On Jun 24
Penuelseun:
what is the size of your solar panels as a 5a buck converter is small for panel sizes over 80w
My panel is 50w boss
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 4:18pm On Jun 24
Penuelseun:
Something like this?

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 4:22pm On Jun 24
dollarnaira:

You mean this connection will successfully prevent the battery from hitting above 12.6v when connected as illustrated below?

But with the PV going into the buck converter input, will the out still remain pegged at 12.6v even when the PV input voltage fluctuates due to different intensity of the sun at different times? Or will the output remains unchanged at 12.6v nevertheless?

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by AdexAyanfe: 4:24pm On Jun 24
Penuelseun:
Have you connected it this way before? Buck converter between panel and cc was how I connected mine and it worked perfectly
You mean this connection will successfully prevent the battery from hitting above 12.6v like this?

But with the PV going into the buck converter input, will the out still remain pegged at 12.6v even when the PV input voltage fluctuates due to different intensity of the sun at different times? Or will the output remains unchanged at 12.6v nevertheless?

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 4:51pm On Jun 24
AdexAyanfe:

Thanks boss.
50w panel.
Do you mean as illustrated in my diagram below? Like I should totally bypass charge controller?

Yes!
What is the voltage of your pv?
This is for small set up say 30ah or less.

Note that a good pwm will win.
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by dollarnaira: 4:57pm On Jun 24
AdexAyanfe:

You mean this connection will successfully prevent the battery from hitting above 12.6v like this?

Yes!
12.6v is the full charge voltage. It will stop charging at this voltage. Didn't look at your diagram well before I pushed in my thoughts.

Buck 5a
Cc 20a

Do the Math
Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Penuelseun(m): 4:57pm On Jun 24
AdexAyanfe:

Yes, you just have to set your buck converter output voltage to around 12.7v, using a pwm charge controller that can go as low as 12.6v is still your best option, any of these controllers supports 3s lithium charging

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by Penuelseun(m): 5:03pm On Jun 24
AdexAyanfe:

Did this some years ago

2 Likes

Re: Diy Lithium Ion Like-minds by ksmart027(m): 6:58pm On Jun 24
dollarnaira:

Yes!
12.6v is the full charge voltage. It will stop charging at this voltage. Didn't look at your diagram well before I pushed in my thoughts.

Buck 5a
Cc 20a

Do the Math
Get these charger controller and rest.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Hp Elitebook 6930p core 2/2.5ghz/500gb/4gb/wlan/wifi/bluth/cam@45k / Bonanza!!! Cheap HP webcam laptops For Sale in benin City. Call 08034946141 / Cheapest MTN Monthly Data Bundle 1Gig = 1k (www.nairashopping.com)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.