Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,299 members, 7,943,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 10:17 PM

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? (21876 Views)

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Japa: Is This Not Hypocrisy? What Do You Think Of This / Cost Of Japa To Uk For Family Of 4 Via Study Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 2:14pm On Nov 26, 2023
gigfx:

It is getting close to that for me too, left to me I don't want to travel abroad. I like Nigeria die. The fear of not knowing what you will meet abroad self they worry me then.

But I don't have to think about my own alone. I can manage anyhow, but the children na the priority. I don't need to stay Nigeria till when my children school will start sending reminder upon reminder for school fees even though am not paying house rent oo. I still feel all that Emiofiole policies.

Cardoso too don start him own now. I just dey imagine if I still dey Nigeria how I go survive all this them policy. And u will think all their party member are enjoying not until last week one of them call me to come borrow him money. Shame even they him voice self. But I got to pity him tho.
honestly speaking i don't think i can survive this Tinubu government. The man might be worst than Buhari.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 2:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
iHateFraudsters:

And the person that he inherited it from, how did he acquire it?
Same through inheritance. Family inheritance, while your emilokan came to make life difficult for Nigerians. Hence, the need to sell it off
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by iHateFraudsters: 2:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
Same through inheritance. Family inheritance, while your emilokan came to make life difficult for Nigerians. Hence, the need to sell it off

So you're telling me that nobody in the family paid money to acquire the landed properties?
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by gaskiyamagana: 2:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
you're right. I pray God grant you your heart desires 🙏

But come to think of it, some of this Tinubu supporters are still supporting him, some with empty stomach, some jobless, some with meagre pay as salary and they keep supporting him

I don't understand, are they really normal?

That is where ethnicity mentality brought us to in Nigeria. My brother, if it is OBI, the president today and Yoruba people are grumble, Ibo will still support him despite the fact that they are suffering , just as Hausas were during Buhari.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by LikeAking: 2:23pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.

I am happy u are asking this question.

Poverty in Nigeria is over exaggerated.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 2:25pm On Nov 26, 2023
iHateFraudsters:

So you're telling me that nobody in the family paid money to acquire the landed properties?
Yes
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by HighTable(m): 2:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
🤣🤣
The country Nigeria has a lot of potential actually, a lot of politicians with Billions in swiss accounts, but they cannot help their own people, partly because most of us don't know what's going on, and also because they are following some cult like Agendas. For example some people believe a democratically elected president can change the country! The British realize that colonialism has a weak spot - the people can still see their enemies, so they replace it with "our own people" but their own friends and loyalists and they call it DemoCRAZY (demonstration for crazy people). Therefore will can no longer "see" our enemies, those that are really calling the shots and making the policies and trends that favour them through sophisticated manipulations, one of this trend is the JAPA syndrome!

oluwaseyi0:
People actually have money especially in southern Nigeria, I mean average Nigerians

I discovered this during the MMM saga, they may not be millionaire but they have something

Forget what you see online

Even most people on nairaland if you kidnap them it will shock you that 2 million minimum will come out in 1 month or so

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by GeneralDae: 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
It's not.

One whole large family usually comes together then donate money to push someone out to bring the bag
The fact that the family can afford to do that is testament to what the OP is saying.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 2:39pm On Nov 26, 2023
GeneralDae:

The fact that the family can afford to do that is testament to what the OP is saying.
which testament? Keep decieving yourself
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 2:42pm On Nov 26, 2023
LikeAking:

I am happy u are asking this question.

Poverty in Nigeria is over exaggerated.

it is not over exaggerated

An average Nigerians cannot afford 3 square meal daily
An average Nigerians cannot afford a bag of rice presently
An average Nigerians cannot afford a car which ought to be a necessity
An average Nigerians doesn't have access to quality healthcare
An average Nigerians doesn't have access to clean water
An average Nigerians under 7 children are malnourished

I can always go on and on

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 2:45pm On Nov 26, 2023
gaskiyamagana:

That is where ethnicity mentality brought us to in Nigeria. My brother, if it is OBI, the president today and Yoruba people are grumble, Ibo will still support him despite the fact that they are suffering , just as Hausas were during Buhari.
you're absolutely right. I also observed that from my end. Ethnicity. That is one of our problems. Only the wise ones find a way out of this mess. I am a yoruba guy but i cannot support Tinubu. When i am not foolish

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by gigfx: 2:50pm On Nov 26, 2023
Despite the fact that the con3 has been bad since Obasanjo's term, we never have it this bad.

Though you see some yahoo boys buying building up and down, apart from them na politicians alone dey make good money for Nigeria.

If you are working for any multinational coys now, you go still dey struggle unlike b4.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by LikeAking: 3:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
it is not over exaggerated

An average Nigerians cannot afford 3 square meal daily
An average Nigerians cannot afford a bag of rice presently
An average Nigerians cannot afford a car which ought to be a necessity
An average Nigerians doesn't have access to quality healthcare
An average Nigerians doesn't have access to clean water
An average Nigerians under 7 children are malnourished

I can always go on and on

Dey play..

Do u know how much MTN and co make yearly in Nigeria?

Half of Nigerians are above poverty level..

Dangote said Nigeria is the best kept secret in the world when it comes to investment..

Nigerians are not that poor..

Nigerians have money..

Elon musk even get mind they sell Starlink to poor Nigerians.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
SmartyPants:
80% of poverty is concentrated in the north. Southern Nigeria is relatively prosperous. So your perspective on poverty will change depending on where you are

I once did an analysis during the incompetent Buhari's first tenure that if Northern Nigeria is removed, Southern Nigeria can be classified as a middle-income country and even richer than South Africa considering the bulk of the wealth is held by blacks in Nigeria as opposed to whites in South Africa.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by donhils: 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
The poverty in Nigeria is actually underrated

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:11pm On Nov 26, 2023
Prechgold1180:

Who tell u say bankers and doctors Nah top earners. Lol

Omo I don Dey banking field for long
S
Years now. I have dumped my certificate

I hustle like a complete sch drop out now

Omo I am doing so well

Omo school nur be am for naija o

Were you a permanent staff who got in via the standard graduate recruitment scheme of the bank?

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:13pm On Nov 26, 2023
iLoveYouToo:

Nigerians are spoilt liars. They claim they're dying but go to the airports, visa centers and niteclubs, wedding receptions and expensive restaurants you'll understand why Buhari always refused to yield to 'poverty veiled' agitations

Bring out one Ponzi scheme now you'll see how they'll manufacture millions from hunger and 'poverty' to invest.

SMH

Compared to the entire population of Nigeria nko? You cannot use people visiting those places to categorise Nigerians as rich. If so, then international brands should be trooping in en mass.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
Blitzking:
I tell u bro..dem go just dey take pics for road...tram...train station..old Trafford.. or pics for one low budget restaurant or pics with some white folks dey feel say dem Don arrive...all na wash how many ppl fit save 1k pounds or dollars abroad per month.

To save such, one should earn at least 5K dollars after tax. To earn such, one must be highly skilled and exclude debt from school. The reality is that even the bonafide citizens aren't able to save such. Most importantly, the concept of saving differs from Nigeria. Most pay forward rather than save. They insure themselves by paying car insurance, health insurance and utilise debt to advance their lives, then invest the rest. Saving money just like that is not financially sensible as inflation will eat it up. What you imply is that Nigerians abroad should save $12K annually. After saving that amount, then what next? Why save such when there are many investment schemes and mortgages to key into? At a point in life, your money should work for you, rather you working for the money.

Then, if saving such is hard in the abroad, how many Nigerians can save N1 million per month or even N500K after working?

So, you see, it is not a bright way to assess finances and expenses.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by nony43(m): 3:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
gaskiyamagana:

Although I am for TINUBU, l love your 2nd paragraph comment. Do you think you will not do the same if you are TINUBU and you are eyeing that position?
To your 1st paragraph, in the name of Amodia, Sango, Ogun and Jesus (of yours), my japa Visa to Canada will be obtained before yours, Ameen, Amen, Aasee.

Before mine? Oh well sorry.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 3:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
LikeAking:

Dey play..

Do u know how much MTN and co make yearly in Nigeria?

Half of Nigerians are above poverty level..

Dangote said Nigeria is the best kept secret in the world when it comes to investment..

Nigerians are not that poor..

Nigerians have money..

Elon musk even get mind they sell Starlink to poor Nigerians.

grin grin grin

Maybe you have another Nigeria though. Abi no be the naija wey Tinubu dey? grin

Clean ya mouth
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Prechgold1180(m): 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

Were you a permanent staff who got in via the standard graduate recruitment scheme of the bank?

Yes boss
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2023
franchasofficia:
Actual population of Nigeria is around 340million and guess how many Nigerians living abroad?

Not up to 15million Nigerians live outside Nigeria both legally and illegally, and total number of Nigerians that have migrated out of Nigeria since Buhari/APC came to power and made Nigerians hopeless and scared of the future to start mass migration to virtually all countries of the world is not up to 3million Nigerians, so how can you use such insignificant number of Nigerians who are mostly the middleclass to measure poverty level in Nigeria ?

That cannot be true, please. If you say there are more people in the south, that is accurate, as Nigeria is the only place in the world where more people exist in arid areas than coastal regions. But that figure as the entire population? That is not true, sir.

The accurate population is unknown because the figure was distorted even before independence.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by nony43(m): 3:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
Basic123:

You are a mumu man

When has PETER OBI criticised ATIKU his mentor or criticised GEJ for you to have supported him in 2023.

You OBI supporters actually think others are shallow thinkers like you people

You BAT supporters are too daft. Was Atiku a president any point in his life? When GEJ was President at a point PO was on his team. Tell me the country that has the fastest growing economy in Africa. And we weren’t even the Poverty capital of the world.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by iHateFraudsters: 3:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
Yes

Go and eat, hunger dey tear you.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 3:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
iHateFraudsters:

Go and eat, hunger dey tear you.
I don't have anything to eat. Your emilokan has brought Hardship to the country
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Blitzking: 3:30pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

To save such, one should earn at least 5K dollars after tax. To earn such, one must be highly skilled and exclude debt from school. The reality is that even the bonafide citizens aren't able to save such. Most importantly, the concept of saving differs from Nigeria. Most pay forward rather than save. They insure themselves by paying car insurance, health insurance and utilise debt to advance their lives, then invest the rest. Saving money just like that is not financially sensible as inflation will eat it up. What you imply is that Nigerians abroad should save $12K annually. After saving that amount, then what next? Why save such when there are many investment schemes and mortgages to key into? At a point in life, your money should work for you, rather you working for the money.

Then, if saving such is hard in the abroad, how many Nigerians can save N1 million per month or even N500K after working?

So, you see, it is not a bright way to assess finances and expenses.
If I was abroad the long game plan is to invest in nigeria...cos its easier to make money in nigeria than abroad. Many ppl don't realise it..just that nigeria doesn't support ppl just starting.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
AfahaAbia:
Seriously I really like it as young Nigerians run away abroad. It gives me more opportunities to make money here in Nigeria. The population is just too much!! You won't believe how many companies have been head hunting me to work for them since last year.... There is less competition now in the corporate world as alot of experienced folks have left the country. This is a stark contrast to when I graduated in 2012, up until 2019 it was so difficult getting a job from top organisations due to alot of experienced professionals available. Now it's a different ball game because most of those guys have all left.

While your post is true and good, it does not mean new jobs are created. Rather, companies are simply re-filling those positions with newer folks, not creating new positions. The number of graduate trainee positions/adverts has plunged compared to 2010 - 2014. A good way of assessing the Nigerian economy is when dual citizens move en mass to Nigeria, as it happened during 2000 - 2010/2012. For dual citizens to move to Nigeria, it means the economy is doing well, and Obasanjo's years were Nigeria's golden years in terms of the economy.

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by iHateFraudsters: 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
I don't have anything to eat. Your emilokan has brought Hardship to the country

Ok when I have little money, you'll send your account.

And besides, I'm a Labour Party chieftain, no retreat, no surrender.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
Prechgold1180:

Yes boss

I am curious, which bank was that? Maybe you had/have many dependents in siblings/extended family for you to say permanent bankers are not well paid by Nigerian standards.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by gigfx: 3:35pm On Nov 26, 2023
Blitzking:

If I was abroad the long game plan is to invest in nigeria...cos its easier to make money in nigeria than abroad. Many ppl don't realise it..just that nigeria doesn't support ppl just starting.

Don't ever make that mistake, better to invest little in Nigeria. But look for stable con3 to invest your money. Nigeria no dey reliable abeg.

Even under democracy, the govt. dey behave like miliary govt.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 3:36pm On Nov 26, 2023
Blitzking:

If I was abroad the long game plan is to invest in nigeria

For some people abroad, this is also their plan.

...cos its easier to make money in nigeria than abroad. Many ppl don't realise it..just that nigeria doesn't support ppl just starting.

If that is true, then the unemployment should not be high, ditto the poverty rate. If it is so easy to mint millions in Nigeria, then there should be job openings everywhere and the GDP rate above 5% and inching to 9%/10%. If it is so easy to make money in Nigeria, then companies should be opening across the country: factories, stores etc.

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by SmartyPants(m): 3:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

I once did an analysis during the incompetent Buhari's first tenure that if Northern Nigeria is removed, Southern Nigeria can be classified as a middle-income country and even richer than South Africa considering the bulk of the wealth is held by blacks in Nigeria as opposed to whites in South Africa.

Certainly. I've always said that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Arik Air In Customers’ Data Leak Mess / Driver Kills Okadaman At Ita-oloro, Idanre-akure Road, Ondo (Graphic Pics) / China And Ethiopia Ground Boeing 737MAX Fleets After Second Crash In Five Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.