Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,721 members, 7,972,651 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 03:07 PM

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? (22014 Views)

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Japa: Is This Not Hypocrisy? What Do You Think Of This / Cost Of Japa To Uk For Family Of 4 Via Study Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 3:49pm On Nov 26, 2023
iHateFraudsters:

Ok when I have little money, you'll send your account.

And besides, I'm a Labour Party chieftain, no retreat, no surrender.
oh!

I thought you're one of those APC supporters that brought us to where we are today
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Blitzking: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

For some people abroad, this is also their plan.

If that is true, then the unemployment should not be high, ditto the poverty rate. If it is so easy to mint millions in Nigeria, then there should be job openings everywhere and the GDP rate above 5% and inching to 9%/10%. If it is so easy to make money in Nigeria, then companies should be opening across the country: factories, stores etc.
Nobody to support the sme..the 5k or 10k trader moni cannot help anyone..even for a local pepper seller or person frying akara..no enabling environment if u are just coming up.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by LikeAking: 3:54pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
grin grin grin

Maybe you have another Nigeria though. Abi no be the naija wey Tinubu dey? grin

Clean ya mouth

Nigerians are only poor for mouth..

Na 50% audio..
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Prechgold1180(m): 4:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

I am curious, which bank was that? Maybe you had/have many dependents in siblings/extended family for you to say permanent bankers are not well paid by Nigerian standards.

Considering the current state of Nigeria economy

Any salary below 500k is seen as poor to me

Even if you get up to 6 digits a month
You still going to suffer

Reason why I opt out of monthly pay
Good with multiple source of income now
And getting daily pay.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by gigfx: 4:06pm On Nov 26, 2023
LikeAking:

Na 50% audio..

Though you are right, being poor different from person to person. For some people as long as they have Android phone and internet to browse they are rich.

And for some people they look for all basic amenities of life, if one is missing they consider that they are poor.

So being poor differ from one person to another.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Adolfnigeria: 4:20pm On Nov 26, 2023
@SaintUlot

I decided to Japa because 2022 i was worth 60kUSD then Tinubu came that 30kUSD.

Well I can no longer afford to be working and sweating for the mismanagement by politicians of the Nigerian economy.

Looking at the history of Nigeria starting from 1NGN to 1USD, to 1140NGN to 1USD. You can conclude that Nigerian politicians are working very hard to impoverish Nigerians. Its sad but Nigerians can still expect another devaluation, during the next elections.

I would rather spend my youthful years maximizing my pay in a country that manages their economy better and ensures a strong currency for its citizens.

So for your info this is one reason why some people Japa.

Since I Japa things are way better, more opportunities.

Its sad that 90% of Nigerians are second class citizens to politicians, goons. Things will not change for a decade..... Make una dey enjoy your so called Nigeria.

SaintUlot:
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.

4 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by achimendy(m): 4:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.

That shit is not exaggerated bro, poverty is f***king real in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by JudasNaKarrot: 4:40pm On Nov 26, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
People actually have money especially in southern Nigeria, I mean average Nigerians

I discovered this during the MMM saga, they may not be millionaire but they have something

Forget what you see online

Even most people on nairaland (if you kidnap them) it will shock you that 2 million minimum will come out in 1 month or so
It's only in Southern Nigeria region that real human beings exist, the other part of the country (I didn't call the region o) are afflicted by multidimensional poverty thru religion.

I spit on the heads of their leaders.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 4:41pm On Nov 26, 2023
LikeAking:

Na 50% audio..

95% are fvcking poor

Courtesy your emilokan grin
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by coputa(m): 5:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
BreconHills:

This is not true. There is a lot of poverty - massive amounts but it is not 80%. World Bank forecast for 2023 is 37%
world bank forecast is not realistic,it is often politicised .Nigerians are on ground,we see everything here,a stranger doesn't know my father's house than I do.
The remaining 20% are the rich and the middle class.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by gigfx: 5:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
The reason it will be very hard for Nigeria economy to improve is that the politicians are not spending their already fat salary on the things you as citizens spend your money to buy, like foods, petrol e.t.c. reason for all the terrible policies they make.

In many advance con3, the only benefit a president enjoy is not paying for house rent during his/her tenure. All other things they buy from their salary.

But here in Nigeria you see on budget money allocated for feeding in Aso rock and so on. And same goes down to governors, local government chairmen and others.

Imagine Tinubu pikin carry presidential flight go watch polo match. All this comes from citizens sweet paying tax.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by BreconHills(m): 5:20pm On Nov 26, 2023
coputa:
world bank forecast is not realistic,it is often politicised .Nigerians are on ground,we see everything here,a stranger doesn't know my father's house than I do.
The remaining 20% are the rich and the middle class.

Lol The eternal disagreement between deductive and inductive reasoning

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by todugo(m): 5:24pm On Nov 26, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
People actually have money especially in southern Nigeria, I mean average Nigerians

I discovered this during the MMM saga, they may not be millionaire but they have something

Forget what you see online

Even most people on nairaland (if you kidnap them) it will shock you that 2 million minimum will come out in 1 month or so
You mean borrowed money from banks. Die it money no dey
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by studyless123: 5:25pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

There are different economic/social class in Nigeria. Upper, upper-middle, lower-middle, middle, working and lower/underclass. Defining these social economic classes is difficult but majority of the population are below the poverty line.

The upper and upper-middle classes have no issues with travelling. They travel easily and can relocate but most are not interested in doing so.

The challenge is for the lower-middle class and lower classes.

The truth is compared to the population, only a few travel out each year but these are exaggerated on social media to make you think everyone is leaving. The UK is the most traveled destination and less than 150k made the trip using the health and care worker visas which is very common.

Travelling has always been expensive and is out of reach for majority of the population.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Difrent: 5:30pm On Nov 26, 2023
UndilutedTruth1:

It's still the same rate at which suicide is being committed by the young.

Where
Na very big LIE be this.
This generation of youth wey like flexing so
Naaaaa
Them no dey commit suicides.
You may say they are dying unnecessarily....but that they are committing mass suicides .......NA LIE
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Difrent: 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

I have come to the conclusion loooong ago
The majority of people shouting poverty on social media aren't poor.
They are not where they want to or should be but they certainly aren't poor.

The poor people are not even heard.
So when next you see anyone shouting about poverty on social media.....chances are they are not poor in the real sense of the word "poor"

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Quebec91(m): 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2023
Point of correction

200million is the last censor result . We past that

Naija population must be up to 300million by now if new census carried out because of the way those northern illiterate birth like pigs is far overboard
1Alex:
Do you know how many landed properties that have been sold to facilitate the movement?

have you forgotten that we are up 200 million? If 50 million people travel today, 150 million is still remaining.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Quebec91(m): 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
You right
Princewill1:
One major problem in Nigerian is the Herd Mentality syndrome.

Once you start up any trend in Nigeria that promises to bring in fortune. The rest of the population will blindly and quickly jump into it without applying due diligence. Check Pos business, Content creation, MMM etc other African countries don't behave this way.

Those that will lose on this trend are the ones who have something meaningful doing in Nigeria and those who sold solid properties to Japa.

Hardship is everywhere, it's only dvmb people that doesn't know this.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Quebec91(m): 5:52pm On Nov 26, 2023
You valid brother 👍

Japa no be like before

Abroad no easy too like before

No free money anywhere
FitCorper:
I can bet my left balls some japa people are already regretting leaving Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Olami12345: 6:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:
angry

Poverty isn't exaggerated but rich people plenty for Naija.

I always see ATMs and Banks full. Yes, people come to withdraw as little as 1000 naira. But still....

Domestic air tickets are ridiculous and don't even go near the international ones... Yet you would still see airports & planes full.

I bought domestic tickets on time, i.e. 2 months before Christmas at 100k, one way. Tell me how someone with 300k salary can afford 200k for just tickets?

But mehnnn, there is poverty every where. Even bankers and doctors, who are in the top earners dey hear am.

I work for an international organisation; my foreign trips and hotels are paid for, lucky me. But I see the guys bring GFs to some of these hotels worth 150k - 300k per night just to screw.

I went to a village in Kogi in 2009 or so, and the youth were saying that a 30k job was their dream ( that's the limit of their own aspirations) shocked

Conclusion : People get money and people are damn hungry out there.

Put me through abeg, if you have link to any remote job, I can use Microsoft Word and Excel perfectly and I know my way around Computer abeg
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by AK89: 6:13pm On Nov 26, 2023
Touch Japa movement and kpai...its like that is what this government wants to do.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by studyless123: 6:20pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

Saving money just like that is not financially sensible as inflation will eat it up. What you imply is that Nigerians abroad should save $12K annually. After saving that amount, then what next? Why save such when there are many investment schemes and mortgages to key into? At a point in life, your money should work for you, rather you working for the money.

Then, if saving such is hard in the abroad, how many Nigerians can save N1 million per month or even N500K after working?

So, you see, it is not a bright way to assess finances and expenses.

Very few people know that fact all over the world. My mentor always say you use other people's money (OPM) to get rich.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by 247man: 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
1Alex:
Do you know how many landed properties that have been sold to facilitate the movement?

have you forgotten that we are up 200 million? If 50 million people travel today, 150 million is still remaining.

Less dan 1% of d population has traveled.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by MatrixCircle: 7:06pm On Nov 26, 2023
Anyone that can afford japa must be rich because it cost millions to japa. Tens of millions if family .
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by emmyN(m): 7:16pm On Nov 26, 2023
Minimum wage is 30,000 and has been so for almost 10 years, whereas the price of goods have skyrocketed by more than 300% in the same time. Yet you question if poverty rate is being exaggerated? What a stvpid question! angry

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Gohs: 8:46pm On Nov 26, 2023
Olami12345:

Put me through abeg, if you have link to any remote job, I can use Microsoft Word and Excel perfectly and I know my way around Computer abeg

Google research yourself na!
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by gaskiyamagana: 9:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
Villa12:
you're absolutely right. I also observed that from my end. Ethnicity. That is one of our problems. Only the wise ones find a way out of this mess. I am a yoruba guy but i cannot support Tinubu. When i am not foolish
Ok.
But I am Yoruba too.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Wholely12: 9:19pm On Nov 26, 2023
youngrichnigga:
So many government sponsored posts and posters on NL these days; I wonder if the OP knows that so many people took him interest loans that they're paying back from diaspora just to leave the country and most likely be able to give their children and next generations a break in life.
If you still have a bit of your morals, you'll know that virtually every sector of Nigeria is riddled with multidimensional corruption etc which renders hardwork unrecognized; every teen now only wants to be a celebrity and hardwork is not encouraged.
This is my opinion undecided undecided undecided

Never wanted to Japa, was so comfortable in Nigeria until I was frustrated in my office because I refused to compromise, I have attended over 15 interviews both in person and virtually and I see the same corrupt trend in most organizations.

One asked me "this one you said integrity is one of your core values, hope you know as a customer service person you would need to lie mostimes" I said, I could be diplomatic not necessarily lie, Of course I didn't get the job.

Or is it how your male boss (even female) would hate you or treat you unfairly because 'you no give them face' is that the kind of life person wan live till 40s and 50s??

we are tired.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Tayorshd87: 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2023
FitCorper:
I can bet my left balls some japa people are already regretting leaving Nigeria.

Why do you say that ??

Please can u explain plz cos am still thinking of getting a loan to Japa too soon 🤔
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Fearyourcreator: 11:43pm On Nov 26, 2023
nony43:
All I can say is if you voted and supported Buhari and Ebola Tinubu and planned to Japaa your Visa will will be denied in the mighty name of Jesus. Stay and enjoy the sheer prosperity of Nigeria.

All through Buhari’s 8 years BAT never criticised any of his wrong economic policies that landed us to be the poverty capital of the world because of his personal interests. Now Buhari is out some of his Cabinet members are saying Buhari messed up a lot of things and made Nigeria Bankrupt. Una just de wake up.
Mumuni
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Fearyourcreator: 11:46pm On Nov 26, 2023
FitCorper:
Make them Sha no come back
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Fearyourcreator: 11:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
lazkizz:
modern day slavery .....
Blacks wey mumu... oyinbo dey use us bal. Their country despite as eye don open reach... nawa ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are There Nigerians In Estonia? / Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? / Togo’s Lome Port Overtakes Apapa Wharf As West Africa’s Leading Container Port

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.