Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,137 members, 7,887,291 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:02 AM

Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award (23450 Views)

4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award / Ex-Enyimba Vs Ex-Super Eagles Players At Enyimba Aba Stadium - 1 - 0 / Mohamed Salah Named BBC African Footballer Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Adakintroy: 2:19pm On Dec 13, 2023
West.

Okocha was a clown who woke up late to football.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by madridguy(m): 2:21pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay Jay was one the finest but didn't plan his way very well in football arena.

Kcfresh2103:

I actually forgot it was Eto, but anyhow I really feel for JJ that year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by judedwriter(m): 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2023
God1000:
Jay Jay Okocha

Very remarkable and fantastic player during his time

Yes, simply fantastic but underrated by CAF
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Kcfresh2103(m): 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2023
madridguy:
Jay Jay was one the finest but didn't plan his way very well in football arena.

He didnt at all, all these boils down to the kind of agents our players have as they make their way into the world stage.
Who dey really advise dem?
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Usmanovic95(m): 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2023
Okwyjesus:

Jay Jay - dribbling instead of scoring

NEYMAR Ronaldinho and JAY JAY share some similarities.Their style is more of showboating and entertaining.Why Ronaldinho standout is because he won biggest trophies at both national and club level.Okocha is just unfortunate he didn't play for a big team, he could have atleast won the CAF award.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Banuso99: 2:26pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay Jay no doubt.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by BigDawsNet: 2:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:
Which of this Ex-Super Eagles players deserved a CAF footballer of the year award in his prime?

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

https://twitter.com/home

I think martins was phenomenon in as a striker in Europe... he deserved it
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Teenaira: 2:30pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:
Which of this Ex-Super Eagles players deserved a CAF footballer of the year award in his prime?

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

My friend, they have all paid their dues. Before Nigerian football was totally destroyed all players may not enjoy any serious reward but look, they are all committed and were driven by the zeal to be part of the great eagle. Green eagle was the team to beat at least in Africa. I am not voting for any of your nominee and those you have not nominated but I want to say a vey BIG thank you to all of them. They are worthy ambassadors that needs to be celebrated.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Svoboda(m): 2:37pm On Dec 13, 2023
God1000:
Jay Jay Okocha

Very remarkable and fantastic player during his time

He was the most talented footballer of his gen, but he lacked good agents who could have traded him off to bigger euro clubs where his talents would have won him trophies. Then, they said he was playing for fun and not for personal milestones and trophies. In retrospect, i dont know if thats a part of his game he regrets now. That said, etoo stole his show in caf player of the year.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by COMPAQ(m): 2:37pm On Dec 13, 2023
AmazingELixir:
Op where is Finidi George in that list.....Finidi achieved far more than any of them in that list.

Man was a celebrated star in Ajax Amsterdam with several league trophies and Champions league to cap things up, left for Betis in Spain and continued his onslaught, a CAF nations cup winner etc.

Finidi should be in that list ....what is super eagles and Ajax without their number 7 in his playing days.

I agree. I'd rate Finidi above Amokachi. When Finidi was hot, he was rated as the best No7 in the world.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by donmik: 2:41pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay Jay

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by femijamz: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2023
During his first time winning. Okocha deserve it than ETO.
kendrick93:
None.
Eto'o was better in the years Okocha had a claim.
Far better actually.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Lawalemi(m): 2:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay Jay but for the politics.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Sillymoderators: 2:49pm On Dec 13, 2023
AmazingELixir:
Op where is Finidi George in that list.....Finidi achieved far more than any of them in that list.

Man was a celebrated star in Ajax Amsterdam with several league trophies and Champions league to cap things up, left for Betis in Spain and continued his onslaught, a CAF nations cup winner etc.

Finidi should be in that list ....what is super eagles and Ajax without their number 7 in his playing days.
Absolutely spot on 😘
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by OmoGomesIlorin: 2:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kcfresh2103:
JJ

How that guy won the BBC African player of the year award ....and someone else was given the CAF award same year is still a mystery to me.

Issa Hayatou is from Camoroun and he favour Samuel Eto his fellow countrymen.
Beside that Eto was playing in the Top European Leage and Cups, that give him a edge above Okocha
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Sillymoderators: 2:51pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kcfresh2103:
JJ

How that guy won the BBC African player of the year award ....and someone else was given the CAF award same year is still a mystery to me.
You think football is only about dribbling? When Samuel E'to was there winning throphies.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Chuzoetoh(m): 2:53pm On Dec 13, 2023
kendrick93:
None.
Far better actually.
Jay jay deserved it 1998 more than Mustapha Hadji

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by ObabiOlorunosi(m): 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2023
Amokachi. His robust style of play and his impact on matches for the Super eagles and his clubs.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by DeSavage(m): 3:02pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay-Jay Okocha
Though he never won much trophies, but believe me...Okocha was a football magician.
Oliver Khan can explain better.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay jay for sure

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Fadakings(m): 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2023
Austin Jay Jay Okocha... even Ronaldinho can attest to his greatness
robosky02:

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Offkey: 3:06pm On Dec 13, 2023
kendrick93:
None.
Far better actually.
In tinubu voice"none are competent,I have track records" grin grin
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by ottersberger(m): 3:12pm On Dec 13, 2023
Xwizard:
ofcos Jay Jay na
Pls include Yakubu Ayeigbeni jor

Seems some yakub Dey ment self

Pesin wey chop our sitter that year?.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by obaidan: 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay Jay & Obafemi Martins.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Jagaban2012: 3:30pm On Dec 13, 2023
Papilo....

Kanu Nwankwo....should deserve better than all the list......Kanu Nwankwo's 1996 ....no goal can be so important to Nigeria than that goal.....
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by oliverwrites: 3:40pm On Dec 13, 2023
brain54:
They are all caf- African football player of the year worthy...

It's unbelievable Jay never won it. He came close though. Mikel came close also.

If all of them were in their prime and are all nominees I had to pick best from this your particular list:

-Jay
-Taribo
-Mikel
-Amokachi
-Obafemi

For me it would be a close margin to pick Mikel above Amokachi but I rated him above because he is a more versatile player.

Also Obafemi would be a bit far down the perking order.

Quality players - all of them!
I mean no insult please but how old are you? If you are maybe 28-30, I will say it is because you didn't watch Da Da Bull.

Mikel won't even play in most of the super eagles teams of those days. Mikel is simply enjoying recency bias, nothing more.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Successlane: 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
kendrick93:
None.
Far better actually.

That's not true.

Over 80% Africans disagree with Isa Hayatou (the then CAF president) that year.

Hayatou was in a haste to give the award to his country man, Eto - a good player though, but not at okocha's level.

I remember the award ceremony was a big flop, as Eto himself was not in attendance.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by oliverwrites: 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
Itiskdg121:
JayJay
I'm still surprised till today. Okocha is very good.

I think he should have played for top clubs in England/Spain instead of Bolton.
He was his own problem. Manchester United wanted him when he was at Fenerbache, he turned them down and went to PSG for money.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by cenaman(m): 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2023
Okocha has no good representative "agent", i he does he would have played for a top european football team.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by kpaofame: 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
AmazingELixir:

At his peak same era as Kanu Nwankwo, so Kanu took the limelight
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Vinnie2000(m): 3:51pm On Dec 13, 2023
Chuzoetoh:
Jay jay deserved it 1998 more than Mustapha Hadji

You are very WRONG. undecided
Nigeria did not play AFCON 1998 due to CAF banning us.

Mustapha Hadji of Morocco used that Tournament to Shine and he also scored 2 goals in France 1998. smiley

Okocha did absolutely nothing in the year 1998 apart making Headlines over his Big money to Fernabache. sad
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Vinnie2000(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2023
oliverwrites:
He was his own problem. Manchester United wanted him when he was at Fenerbache, he turned them down and went to PSG for money.

It should be a LIE from you. undecided undecided

Sir Alex Ferguson couldn't have wanted Okocha in Man UTD,
When he had Scholes and Roy Keane in Midfield. sad

The way Okocha played from 1994-2000, no EPL would have wanted him. sad

He was too Much of a Dribbler, suited for La Liga. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

U-17: Ghana Wants Nigeria, Ivory Coast Banned / IFFHS: Messi Wins 2019 Playmaker Award / Taribo Was 40 While Claiming 28 – Former Partizan President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.