Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,747 members, 7,875,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:55 PM

Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award (23406 Views)

4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award / Ex-Enyimba Vs Ex-Super Eagles Players At Enyimba Aba Stadium - 1 - 0 / Mohamed Salah Named BBC African Footballer Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Princezibk: 4:00pm On Dec 13, 2023
Fantastic Jay jay & Super Mikel 🇳🇬🦅
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by brain54(m): 4:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
oliverwrites:
I mean no insult please but how old are you? If you are maybe 28-30, I will say it is because you didn't watch Da Da Bull.

Mikel won't even play in most of the super eagles teams of those days. Mikel is simply enjoying recency bias, nothing more.
I saw Da bull's games...

Did you Notice I mentioned it will give me a bit of headache picking Mikel over Da Bull.

Mikel is underated... Amokachi had more power and pace in his game. Mikel a bit sluggish especially in comparison- but I think Mikel has the slight edge of been more versatile on the pitch.

Also Mikel at his prime- in the youth championship were he came second to Messi as best player was exceptional. It is this Mikel I rated. Though his role and style of play later changed and became more confusing even to himself.

I think it was later towards the end of his career he reinvented his style of play and became more confident of himself/game. By then age was catching up with him.

Mikel like I said is undervalued.

I hope it wouldn't sound contradictory though if I say Amokachi remains one of my best super eagles players ever!

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Omobude244: 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:
Which of this Ex-Super Eagles players deserved a CAF footballer of the year award in his prime?

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

https://twitter.com/home
vincent eyeanma
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by oliverwrites: 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2023
brain54:

I saw Da bull's games...

Did you Notice I mentioned it will give me a bit of headache picking Mikel over Da Bull.

Mikel is an underated... Amokachi had more power and pace in his game. Mikel a bit sluggish especially in comparison- but I think Mikel has the slight edge of been more versatile on the pitch.

Also Mikel at his prime- in the youth championship were he came second to Messi as best player was exceptional. It is this Mikel I rated. Though his role and style of play later changed and became more confusing even to himself.

I think it was later towards the end of his career he reinvented his style of play and became more sure of himself. By then age was catching up with him.

Mikel like I said is undervalued.

I hope it wouldn't sound contradictory though if I say Amokachi remains one of my best super eagles players ever!
I watched Mikel at Finland and liked him but that was it, his game changed when he went to Chelsea. Let's not forget he was largely a benchwarmer at Chelsea. For me Amokachi is head and shoulder better than him.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by oliverwrites: 4:12pm On Dec 13, 2023
Vinnie2000:

It should be a LIE from you. undecided undecided

Sir Alex Ferguson couldn't have wanted Okocha in Man UTD,
When he had Scholes and Roy Keane in Midfield. sad

The way Okocha played from 1994-2000, no EPL would have wanted him. sad

He was too Much of a Dribbler, suited for La Liga. smiley
And I will come and lie on a faceless forum because of what exactly? Maybe you were young then but it is a fact that Manchester United wanted him before he went to PSG. You may do a bit of research.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by optimusprime2(m): 4:25pm On Dec 13, 2023
It's beyond shocking Jay Jay didn't win it
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by bigman001(m): 4:33pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:
Which of this Ex-Super Eagles players deserved a CAF footballer of the year award in his prime?

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

There is nothing to compare as it is very glaring that Jay-Jay Okocha is the only player amongst them. He deserves it.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Itiskdg121(m): 4:37pm On Dec 13, 2023
Exactly
He should be among Football legends, but money...
oliverwrites:
He was his own problem. Manchester United wanted him when he was at Fenerbache, he turned them down and went to PSG for money.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by ericmor: 4:48pm On Dec 13, 2023
geoworldedu:
Jay Jay of course. But he plays for club that wouldn't win a dime, so winning it got difficult. If he had played for Chelsea or Man Utd when Eto is playing for Barcelona, they would have divided Etoo's wins into two equal halves and Okocha would still have won another one or two extras in addition.

He would not play for them because he was too wasteful. Okocha will hardly make a good team in recent football, he dribbles too much and end up wasting the ball at the end and still see it as nothing. He is a good and entertaining footballer though
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by ericmor: 4:56pm On Dec 13, 2023
Usmanovic95:

NEYMAR Ronaldinho and JAY JAY share some similarities.Their style is more of showboating and entertaining.Why Ronaldinho standout is because he won biggest trophies at both national and club level.Okocha is just unfortunate he didn't play for a big team, he could have atleast won the CAF award.

Ronaldinho played a moving football when he got to barca, he causes more damages and give result, same with neymar at barca and sometimes in PSG but neymar in is last season in PSG was like okocha, always want to dribble every time and end up wasting the ball. But i think if okacha had played other sir Alex or anceloty then, they would have helped in improving his playing style
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by ufuosman(m): 5:17pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay jay
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Dancebreaker: 5:17pm On Dec 13, 2023
SmartyPants:
Okocha never won major club honours - would have always been difficult for him. Mikel was never exceptional enough as an individual.

So it's sad our most gifted player was not accomplished enough, and our most accomplished player was not gifted enough.
Okocha was never really at the right place at the right time. Imagine if he joined AC Milan, Man U or Arsenal at that time. Or Even Ajax. Decisions and opportunity make a difference.

Whereas, Mikel was. But transformation of Mikel by Mourinho "de-marketed" Mikel somewhat but allowed him to become accomplished trophy-wise. Both were very cautious and probably underestimated their abilities a bit at first.

Okocha needed a bit more discipline in ball possession. A disciplinarian to shape his methods and nascent career back in Frankfurt would have helped greatly.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by brain54(m): 5:23pm On Dec 13, 2023
Dancebreaker:

Okocha was never really at the right place at the right time. Imagine if he joined AC Milan, Man U or Arsenal at that time. Or Even Ajax. Decisions and opportunity make a difference.

Whereas, Mikel was. But transformation of Mikel by Mourinho "de-marketed" Mikel somewhat but allowed him to become accomplished trophy-wise. Both were very cautious and probably underestimated their abilities a bit at first.
I love your last statement...

Both weren't sure of their abilities at first.

Both later became more confident of their abilities.

But at the twilight of their careers!

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Usmanovic95(m): 5:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
ericmor:

Ronaldinho played a moving football when he got to barca, he causes more damages and give result, same with neymar at barca and sometimes in PSG but neymar in is last season in PSG was like okocha, always want to dribble every time and end up wasting the ball. But i think if okacha had played other sir Alex or anceloty then, they would have helped in improving his playing style

Those things you highlighted about Neymar and Ronaldinho are what okocha missed out on just because he didn't play in a big team and never got managed by a top class manager who would have invariably improved his style of play.Okocha relies more on his intuitive abilities and often exhibit some lackadaisical attitude when he lose possession or missed key chances.like you said a good coach in the mould of Ferguson, Wenger, ancelloti or a capello could have groomed his game,make him more decisive and make him show more enthusiasm towards the game. Those are the factors that limit his career and made his career not got the kind of recognition it deserved.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by geoworldedu: 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
ericmor:

He would not play for them because he was too wasteful. Okocha will hardly make a good team in recent football, he dribbles too much and end up wasting the ball at the end and still see it as nothing. He is a good and entertaining footballer though
You are right. You cant have your cake and eat it. He realised very late that he needed to play with team to achieve anything. If he realised that at the beginning of his career, he would have won the Balon Dor with a big team.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by geoworldedu: 5:52pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jagaban2012:
Papilo....

Kanu Nwankwo....should deserve better than all the list......Kanu Nwankwo's 1996 ....no goal can be so important to Nigeria than that goal.....
Kanu won it twice na. U cant play with Kanu. He is so good abeg.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Anonimoux: 6:19pm On Dec 13, 2023
Jay Jay Okocha na who before? I'm shocked and surprised that he didn't win it.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2023
Obagoal
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by enoch273: 6:44pm On Dec 13, 2023
The cap fits the legendary Jay Jay Okocha. In the meantime enjoy advanced ANC, premium listening modes, incredible battery life and more while immersed in private listening oasis on oraimo spacepods.

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by hardex10: 6:54pm On Dec 13, 2023
All deserve CAF for my own view
robosky02:

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by djecstacy: 7:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

Jay Jay and
Obagoal

Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by ejimatic: 7:19pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

. Usually defenders and midfielders don't win CAF award. Only Obafemi Akinwumi Martin deserved it then.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by robosky02(m): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2023
kendrick93:
None.
Eto'o was better in the years Okocha had a claim.
Far better actually.

Na lie ohhh

How is Eto'o better than Okocha

Those days...in fact till now
Eto'o fears Jay Jay

It was CAF president issa Hayatou that ensured Eto'o won it ahead of Jay jay
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by robosky02(m): 8:07pm On Dec 13, 2023
geoworldedu:

Kanu won it twice na. U cant play with Kanu. He is so good abeg.

Kanu way play four AFCON without a single goal
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by geoworldedu: 9:14pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:

Kanu way play four AFCON without a single goal
But he won the African Best Player twice. He also does assists in the Afcons and played very well.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by brainhgeek(m): 9:38pm On Dec 13, 2023
Only Jayjay
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by CoolAmbience(m): 9:44pm On Dec 13, 2023
brain54:
They are all caf- African football player of the year worthy...

It's unbelievable Jay never won it. He came close though. Mikel came close also.

If all of them were in their prime and are all nominees I had to pick best from this your particular list:

-Jay
-Taribo
-Mikel
-Amokachi
-Obafemi

For me it would be a close margin to pick Mikel above Amokachi but I rated him above because he is a more versatile player.

Also Obafemi would be a bit far down the perking order.

Quality players - all of them!

Mikel Obi was never better than Obafemi Martins.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by brain54(m): 10:54pm On Dec 13, 2023
CoolAmbience:

Mikel Obi was never better than Obafemi Martins.

Can you state your reasons...,.?
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by Melagros(m): 10:54pm On Dec 13, 2023
nony43:
Between Jay Jay and Mikel.
Wetin mikel know? Person wei the carry ball come back home na him be player?
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by femi4: 11:36pm On Dec 13, 2023
robosky02:

Jay-Jay
Taribo West
Obafemi Martins
Daniel Amokachi
And
Mikel Obi

Mike n jayjay

Mike for winning ucl n afcon
Okocha for winning BBC APOTY
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by gaskiyamagana: 11:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
God1000:
there's no doubt about that, people respect him all over the world

Capital Yes. In my base outside Nigeria, most of the time I , for one reason or the other, engaged in discussion with some other Africa countries national, immediately I told them I am a Nigerian , the next statement is how is OKOCHA ; despite the fact I didn't talk about football.
Re: Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award by kendrick93(m): 6:27am On Dec 14, 2023
Successlane:

That's not true.

Over 80% Africans disagree with Isa Hayatou (the then CAF president) that year.

Hayatou was in a haste to give the award to his country man, Eto - a good player though, but not at okocha's level.

I remember the award ceremony was a big flop, as Eto himself was not in attendance.
You're a clown.
Samuel Eto'o not on Okocha's level?
Stick to cricket bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mikel Obi Announces His Retirement From Super Eagles / Is This The Worst Brazilian Side Ever? / Osimhen Double Denies Leicester Victory Against Napoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.